University of Virginia

University of Virginia Employee Reviews

University of Virginia
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 13, 2017
Working for the University was a great opportunity. Management had issues with husbands and wives reporting to each other. The program itself was a great idea and a wonderful opportunity otherwise.
a very great company to work with
Administrative and Office Specialist / Co-Editor (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 15, 2016
i worked as an administrative temporary staff of the company, working with students, personnel and stakeholders gave me a good sense of accomplishments. the company treats its staffs very well and with very good staffing skills, benefits and job security.
Pros
good health and education benefits
No response
UPG- University Physicians Group-Cashiering Dept (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 27, 2016
I will not comment on anything, as I don't believe this is healthy environment to work in.
Supervisor goes to management to discuss our "personal" lives with her. Which I don't believe she has the "need" to know any of that. If I wanted Management to know about my personal life I would tell her.
School of Medicine, Administrative Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 12, 2016
Conveniently located with flexibility, great benefits and good place to work where career growth and opportunities are offered; as well great history.
Vigorous yet relaxing work environment, nationally recognized for health and research. Pay is poor.
Research Technician II (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 4, 2016
Charlottesville is a charming area and the University is a thriving medical and research community. However I do not recommend postdoctoral fellowships or technicianships at this university if cost of living is an issue, as it attempts to pay its non-faculty staff at the minimal end of the recommended pay scales.
Good benefits
Senior Editor and Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 18, 2016
UVA offers good benefits. Higher level management needs improvement, particularly when dealing with ineffective mid-level management.
UVA is a great school with many intelligent and driven people who work there
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 7, 2016
I am a graduate research assistant in the process of getting my degree. While here I have had the opportunity to work with cutting edge instrumentation and learn from many intelligent and driven people. Overall it is a very good place to work.
High pace
Medical Education Programs Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 30, 2016
UVA provides excellent benefits to their employees. Parking continues to be a challenge. Patients are the top priority.
Leadership and Education
Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 23, 2016
UVA was great experience, but the program lacks experienced professionals.

I basically functioned with little direction. My days were filled with updating and writing procedures. Assisting other areas and supervisors as needed.

UVA provides an enormous amount of education.

The most difficult part of the job was working with a leader and co-workers that are not knowledgeable of stem cell transplants, chemo regiments, and providing complete files for patients when approved for transplant. I found it disheartening that after patients received the transplant follow up by coordinators
Pros
Free lunches when attending lectures.
Cons
No positve feedback, favortism, unqualified personal, a dsyfunctional and emotional turmoil enviornment
Great internship
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 3, 2016
I learned a ton of new things. I was able to interact with different medical doctors and hear encouraging words. Glad I was chosen to participate in this program.
Pros
Confortable living arrasngements, microsoft office training, great hours, talks were very informative and fun to listen to
Great Students and Facaulty
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 24, 2016
Working there in any capacity has been fun and challenging. The students are the best you can ever hope to run across, and the faculty is generally very passionate about teaching and research.
Great college, great students, faculty and staff, beautiful campus
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 8, 2016
Very good University to develop your scientific knowledge and experience. I wouldn't trade my experience at UVA for anything. I am well prepared to move forward in my career.
Undergraduate Researcher
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 6, 2016
Summer Internship at the Cardiovascular Research Center (CVRC) at the University of Virginia. Conducted research on atherosclerosis plaque formation and progression leading to a publication. Supervisors were exceptional.
N/a
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 6, 2016
New Director is helping to fix problems from previous Director
Short staffed
Hiring process is slow and unfocused on requirements
This is my summer internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 3, 2016
I have not yet begun to work here but have had pleasant experiences with the management I will be working with this summer. They are compassionate, efficient, and strive to make people they work with feel valued and heard. I look forward to learning about and doing data analysis for them on children behavior in school.
A great place to work.
IT-ITS Communication Services (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 28, 2016
Enjoyed working there and the people I worked with. Wish that I could have been or could be there longer. A place where you would want to be until you retire.
Under paid, under trained, under staffed, not equipped, Over worked
University Security (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 3, 2016
The work schedule is set up for 6 day work weeks, with your weekends alternating. Example, If you have Tues, Wed off this week, next week you will have Wed, Thur off. This means that you will on have Sat and Sun off every 6 weeks. The turnover rate is horrendous, we were operating at 50% capacity. This meant that we were constantly short, and people had to be drafted to work overtime. It was not uncommon for officers to work two 12hr shifts, a 16hr shift, and then another three days. They make you pay for parking. They can draft you for an unlimited number of days. Example if you volunteered to work OT yesterday, they can still draft you for a double today, tomorrow, and the day after that. They monitor your sick days. They have no problem firing people over minor infractions. In 23 months, I saw approx. 18-19 people fired or quit. You will have no social life. Night shift is a nightmare to get used too (sleep wise). You do get a lot of vacation time, and benefits which is the only plus side. Unless you are retired and looking for something that isn't really serious, don't take this job. FINALLY, the worst part! If you are trying to get into Law Enforcement DO NOT take this. They have set up a system based on points, that they don't tell anyone about. And they no longer hire Security into their Police. Apply for the Police directly, do not take security as a back up.
Pros
Lots of Vacation time
Cons
Under paid, under trained, under staffed, not equipped, Over worked
Do not work here!
Space Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 13, 2016
The arrogance is unbelievable, and the manager(s) is/are protected. I went from a 20 year career that included numerous commendations and awards to an environment that provided zero training. I now understand why so many people hate this university!
Challenging and Supportive
Graduate Researcher / Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 8, 2016
Working for the University of Virginia provided a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new concepts. I also was regularly challenged in my day to day but supported when I needed guidance.
Great Benefits
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE II (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 29, 2016
Great Benefits....Poor upper management and poor internal growth structure. Not a good job for someone with a family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Virginia. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Virginia Reviews by Location