University Of Washington

University Of Washington Employee Reviews in United States

Fed up
clerical (Current Employee) –  seattleAugust 20, 2016
Has to be the worst place I have ever worked for. I see reverse racism daily. People are rewarded for being lazy and causing drama or who is friends with who. Toxic is the only word I can think of. I'd rather go to a hospital in Iraq than here. I've seen people mistreated horribly. I'd rather sit three hours in traffic in an ambulance if you'd take me to Swedish or further. My friend got so fed up with management and quit. Management doesn't get fired, they just transfer and they become a nightmare for a new department. Higher ups? Do not allow exiting management to be part of hiring new management, maybe just have a supervisor and no manager. Hire outside and managers who know what they are doing
Pros
The UW medicine name will get you a better job
Quality of work life depends greatly on the faculty members and students you are working with!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 5, 2016
I generally work from nine to five during the weekdays, forgoing some of the flexibility of a typical graduate student's hours in favor of better work-life balance.
The pressure of academia can be intense and the University of Washington is no exception. However, an exemplary lab, with supportive and industrious coworkers and an interesting and devoted faculty advisor, can make an enormous difference in the quality of your workplace.
Overall, the University of Washington can provide extensive opportunities to learn, both in terms of enhancing skills and negotiating complex internal and external interactions.
UW is on a mission - loved being part of that
Training Specialist/Systems Analyst, Shared EPIC (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 4, 2016
Was great working in Seattle at a premier healthcare facility. Got to work with several homeless shelters and meet many diverse people. Management style was easy to work with, benefits needed to be increased along with compensation
Pros
Great company mission, met so many great people
Cons
The drive to Seattle each day was $$$ and a grind
A horrible experience in Security
Information security analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 2, 2016
Working in the "information security" team was an exercise of tolerating the petty morons I worked along side. The leadership was fired 6 months into my role and from there we were rudderless and upper management failed to do anything but provide empty promises. Do yourself a favor and sit this one out. UW Medicine is a horrible place to work.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Low pay; petty co workers; an atmosphere where they are more into punishing
Overall experience is rated Good
Credential Trainer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 3, 2016
Work schedules could be better organized. Class assignments were given at the last minute, and changes to class locations was confusing.

Management seemed threatened by the experienced consultant staff. This prevented the establishment of a collaborative working relationship.
Pros
Working with other professional and experienced trainers
too many duties
Fiscal specialist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 10, 2016
- As a fiscal specialist a typical work day for me included almost everything under the same job title. i was responsible for A/R, A/P, purchasing (including blanket purchase orders), travel reimbursement, payroll, monitoring grant budgets, helping vendors getting registered in UW system (including contacting foreign suppliers) and other duties that varies depending on the department. the volume of these tasks is not small.

- Management is for the most part busy to provide a proper training for new employees, so you have to figure it out by yourself.

- the relationship with co-workers has been good.

- the hardest part is doing almost everything under the same job title.

- learning new stuff, as the University of Washington keeps updating its systems.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits
Cons
Pay is not matching to duties or workload
Fast Paced Environment
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 10, 2016
My work environment is ambiguous, with a touch of flair. No two days are alike. Supporting the Chair of Neurological Surgery presents challenge, but with humor at times to ease the demands that are required for this kind of work. My team of a core administrators makes my job easier. I know that at any time, they have my back and support me to the end. I've learned to be flexible and find the silver linings in all things that may go wrong. I support faculty who do amazing things and save people's lives. A mission worth working for.
Always the best option for a graduate student.
TA for ESS315 (Environmental Geology) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 12, 2016
Pretty easy job (assuming you know the material).

A week will have three 1-hour classes and two 2-hour labs (the labs are listed as 3-hour labs, but the labs only take about 2 hours). There are also two most-of-a-day weekend field trips.

In a 300-level class, the students are actively engaged because they have chosen this field of study.
Flexible and easy to work with a full class schedule.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 3, 2016
Learned about the process of student applications from freshman to transfers etc., insight into organization, process, decisions of admission. it was very laid back and relaxing atmosphere, even with full course load of classes. Very flexible in case anything came up, very understanding and interesting!
Productive and creative workplace
Direct Support to Fundraisers (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAAugust 9, 2016
I'd like to work in a place where I could grow to my fullest potential. A fun, productive workplace.

University of Washington really care about me s as well as your advancement in the future. The office has a very good balance of work with great opportunities to learn and to grow.
its really a fun place to work.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2016
Liked here working very much as one can always work as a team member. management was awesome so was the co-workers. The other facilities like medical benefits, conveyance discount was quite satisfactory. The most enjoyable part of the job was you always can discuss about your hurdles and how you might overcome them with your colleagues over a cup of coffee while enjoying extremely beautiful scenic ambiance.
UW was an Exciting place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 27, 2016
The most exciting part about working at University of Washington was the people and the benefits. University of Washington had a free gym with personal trainers which was nice for me as an employee this saved me a ton of finances. University of Washington offered great medical benefits as well!
Director
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 28, 2016
If you like endless meetings, no advancement, people who really just don't care about what they do, co-workers, or even the University. This is the place for you. I couldn't do it, well, because I actually cared and I got crushed for caring.
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
Management, staff, everyone, they just don't care.
Academically oriented place to work
Policy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 7, 2016
The conversations at the UW tend to be intelligent and positive--nothing like the conversations I used to have in the private industry jobs I held. Working on upper campus was a lot more collegial than working at the medical center or the health sciences, thought. Location, location, location. Benefits are still pretty good, although not half as great as they used to be.
Pros
Great conversations about things in the world that matter.
Cons
No freebies, no parties--we have to account for every penny.
Setting grounds for employment and/or field of future study
Undergraduate student (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 16, 2016
I have earned two BA degrees in a large variety of classes without one being uninteresting or unchallenging. Very proud and pleased to have graduated from UW.
Pros
Preparing students for either work or graduate studies
Cons
No cons
Great place to learn about media equipment
Communication Media Equipment Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 23, 2016
Working in the Media Equipment office is great if you are looking to learn about various media equipment.You're able to play around and experiment with the equipment whenever you like and have a fun hands-on approach. The supervisor is great and will always help you out. The actual working in the office can be hit or miss, it can be really busy or it could be silent, it all depends on the day.
Great productive environment.
Mail Operator/ Student (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 6, 2016
Provide a great balance between work and school.it was enjoyable with a great community environment.would suggest for those seeking employment while maintaining their studies and developing strong ties with the university.
Staff will tell you "it is not so much what you know - it is who you know"
Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 25, 2016
Expectation to walk into a job and just 'know' what you are supposed to do is quite high. Short amount of training time as everyone too busy trying to get their job done - or - spending too much time talking with friends. A polarizing environment. Training provided not always allow enough time to ask questions. When follow up later, complaints go to management stating you are asking too many questions and other person cannot get their job done. Budget cuts, staffing cuts, lead to little to no time to train new people. Training tools / manuals very old, not accurate to current version of application using.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Little training time and out of date training manuals
Nice benefits
Program Coordinator for General Internal Medicine (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 10, 2016
Nice benefits! Great place to work a standard job as jobs are usually the standard work day hours. Management can be a bit blinded by what the lower end employees need at times.
demanding but rewarding environment
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 28, 2016
This job was rewarding in it's potential to help cure a disease. It was tiresome in its very paper heavy work load. Multi agency reporting made it very difficult to perform actual patient visits.

4.2