University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

Typical Day at Work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 3, 2017
Beginning of work days are stressful, but tend to become more mellow after lunch time. Friendly co-workers and colleagues. Overall relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Cut-throat
Great environment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 29, 2017
As a House Fellow at Smith Hall my experience was incredibly positive and it helped me develop vital skills I still use specifically regarding time management, conflict resolution, and creating interpersonal relationships in an efficient manner.
Pros
Good Work enviornment
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Productive and fun job
Graduate Teaching Assistant - Biomechanics (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 24, 2017
Workplace culture is very enjoyable, they stress a work-life balance. Hardest part of the job only comes when schoolwork gets to be too much since I am a student concurrently. I technically have two jobs with the University and both are my favorite jobs to date.
fast paced, tons of moving around
Football Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 7, 2017
worked 6am to about 6-7 pm. set up lifting and conditioning equipment and break it down at the end of the day. Cleaned and sanitized equipment everyday and take inventory every friday.
Pros
free snacks, sometimes lunch
Very nice
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 2, 2017
I like my research projects about optimization modeling. My advisor is also very supportive and caring for his students. He also provides timely guidance.
Great school.
Student (Former Employee) –  Madison,WINovember 2, 2017
Great place to get an undergraduate education. I did end up transferring, but it is still a great institution. Faculty are very well-known and world-renowned.
Good research experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 31, 2017
Worked with a graduate student in the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Structural Engineering lab and now I'm in the Modified Asphalt Research Center.
Wonderful
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 31, 2017
Great place to study
Great place to have fun
Great place to make new friends
Very liberal and inclusive atmosphere and work environment
Cutting Edge Research
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 21, 2017
The University is a fast-paced, very colleagueal place to work. The interactions with students are very fruitful in any department.
Job mentors are very dedicated to your advancement.
It's a TA gig
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 15, 2017
I was a TA in exchange for grad school tuition and a stipend to live on. It's what you would expect--a chance to learn how to teach. It's a decent gig while getting your degree.

Want to know more about University of Wisconsin–Madison?

Ask a question
Great School
Research Assistant and Consultant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 14, 2017
The university if general is a great place to work with good people and lots of opportunities. There is a lot to learn and as a student the benefits and student life is great.
Good as a graduate assitant
Teaching Assistant of CS 200 (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 13, 2017
Tuition waived
Health Plan
Monthly payroll
Weekly meetings with instructors
Online forum checking and discussion
Three lab sessions a week.
Three hours of office hour a week
blank review its fine here
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 12, 2017
i have nothing to say about this employer, pay was pretty poor but made up for in lack of expectations and lots of pto. Upper mgmnt love circle mashing their egos
Great experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 12, 2017
Great experience to work here. Professors are very knowledgeable. One of the finest and top-ranked universities in USA. The CS dept phenomenal. Highly recommended.
Projects moved at a slower pace than I would have liked
Consultant, Office of Quality Improvement (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 11, 2017
The culture at UW-Madison was one in which implementing change, even obviously positive change, resulted in very slow adoption. Leadership, in general, would seek nearly unanimous consensus before truly leading change.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 6, 2017
This was a good place to work everyone got along extremely well. You have to get used to state funding for capital projects and that it could get cut at times but other than that was good.
Its good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 5, 2017
if you are interested in pursuing career in academics, Its a great place to work. I enjoyed my tenure as a Teaching assistant in the Department of Mathematics at University of Wisconsin Madison
Stressful, cut-throat
IS Technical Services Senior (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 26, 2017
A typical day consisted of answering help desk calls, working with Altiris to resolve various issues and training. The hardest part of the job was working with Altiris because I had no experience with it and did not have enough training to be effective with it. Also, resources for it was for all intents and purposes non-existent. This created a lot of stress. Also, fellow employees were very cut-throat when it came to answering questions.
Student positions
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 26, 2017
I enjoyed my two student jobs at the UW-Madison. I worked in a lab in my department, which provided me with important experience in my field. I also worked at the SAFEWalk program through Transportation Services, which I also enjoyed. My only complaint is that the student salary is low. Hopefully this will change in the future.
Pros
Managers are happy to work around students' schedules.
Cons
Low student hourly wage
A top tier learning experience
Project Assistant, Lecturer, Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 26, 2017
I would collect data a schools for the research project, lead design-based research projects, caption video for professional development, manage the technology projects, design interfaces, teach and TA for courses write reports and publications, work with smart, compassionate people.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4