University of Wisconsin-Madison Employee Reviews

Full of responsibilities and challenging, but I'll do it gain anytime
Chair, Student Services Finance Committee (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 4, 2015
I become the chair after the budget cut for the school happened and my job is mainly damage control. It is definitely challenging but my advisors are always available to support me. A wild ride, but I'll do it again anytime.
Student Review
student (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 24, 2015
Professors are intelligent and helpful in research projects. Classes are sometimes challenging but always interesting. Advisors are resourceful and help you out with your career and academic path.
Nice place to live and work.
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 21, 2015
Fun place to work in the middle of Madison, Wi. Work/Life balance can be a bit hard to maintain especially if you have children. The pay is sub-par, but the benefits are excellent.
Graduate research assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 30, 2015
Get to work in the rock mechanics lab at UW-Madison. GLE dept. is very helpful and a great group of people.The professor are all multidisciplinary which makes it a great learning and working environment.
Qualitative and quantitative researcher
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 1, 2015
We conduct research in human factors and health care. I work in an office with other research assistants. We perform data collection, data analysis and writing the results for publication. We have meetings in which we present our work to the rest of the team including the director of the research center.
Productive workplace
Research Assistant, UW-Madison (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 5, 2015
As a Research Assistant, I take part in program design, conduct experiments, and data analysis independently. And I also responsible for the lab management. I have learned critical thinking and trouble solving.
A great place for an academic career in life sciences
Assistant Scientist in the Department of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 7, 2015
The University of Wisconsin is one of the biggest life sciences research universities in the USA. It is a great place to pursue your scientific research interests. As a scientist, you have just about any resource you can ask for, and the academic freedom to pursue any topic of research you want. Work schedule is extremely flexible, and the affiliation with the UW Hospitals and Clinics and the VA Medical Center makes it a great place to conduct biomedical research and clinical trials.
Pros
Academic freedom, enormous library system, abundance of resources, flexible work schedules.
Cons
Low salaries (compared to private sector), vulnerability to state budget cuts, low potential for career advancement.
Great Campus
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 3, 2015
Great place to find a job and grow as an individual. With many support staff and co-workers, it makes work easy and enjoyable.
Fast-paced, team-oriented work environment focused on customer service
Leader of Student Projects and Initiatives (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 31, 2015
Co-workers and the college town atmosphere are reasons why it's such a great place to work. Surrounded by young and innovative thinkers that create inspiration amongst all staff.
Pros
college town atmosphere
Cons
budget cuts
Top notch university with good quality of life
Systems Support Analyst and Help Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 26, 2015
My work at the university involves helping people use computers. This is the type of job that varies every day and it is impossible to get bored.
Great place for research projects and development
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 25, 2015
This is a great school and its research team is phenomenal, but it is sometime inefficient to collaborate between groups.
Very large university
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 24, 2014
Very large university. Likely good for some people and bad for others. As a trainee it is easy to get lost there, although there is lots of good research happening there. If you are not from that geographical area, be ready for the intense winter.
Great place to do research
Post Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 30, 2014
I enjoyed the time in UW-Madison, four years, even it is a little cold in winter :(.
In my time as a postdoc at UW Madison, I gained many true friendship with my colleagues and mentor.I obtained useful skills which will affect the rest of my life.
Pros
nice people, nice science
Cons
cold weather, benefit
a nice city and nice people
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 23, 2014
You will love the city and people, the health insurance is good, city is beautiful but small. the research environment is good
Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 3, 2014
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2013 - present
Preventing Food Protein Allergic Reactions via Conjugation with Polysaccharides
• Developed and optimized experiments to conjugate whey protein with dextran of various molecular sizes
• Modified experimental techniques to isolate and purify whey protein-dextran conjugates/glycates by size exclusion chromatography and ion-exchange chromatography
• Designed new in vitro infant digestion model to study digestion rate of whey protein-dextran conjugates/glycates
A good university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 14, 2014
I am having my PhD here. Overall it is a good experience. People here are talented.
It is a good place
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 1, 2014
The benefits in the University is A+. The campus is nice. you can get lots of different scientific information from other departments.
Great support staff and stimulating environment
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 8, 2014
This was a great place to work, although really cold in winter! Some of the red tape is obnoxious, and having worked at a medical school before, it was definitely frustrating. However, the people are very friendly and great to work with.
Great resources for a go-getter
Graduate Research Assistant for Biochemistry (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 2, 2014
Lab culture varies greatly depending on the lab. In general, professors are quite busy with funding therefore, a student needs to be very proactive and take charge of their education.
Pros
plenty of freedom, flexibility, good benefits
Teaching Assistant