University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Employee Reviews in United States

A very busy, exciting environment. Co-workers very nice.
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 3, 2016
I worked in the Otolaryngology clinic within the UW Hospital. It was very fast-paced and hectic at times. I learned a lot about the Epic system and how to prioritize work flow. The management was in flux however the Clinic Manager was awesome. She was one of the nicest managers I have worked with. For the most part all of my co-workers were an effective team. I think the most difficult thing about working in a clinic environment was dealing with a patient that was not happy with a test result or the doctor. For me the best part of the job was interacting with patients that were happy.
Clinical procedures and wound care
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 11, 2016
Always a good place to work at, meeting new people at all times. I enjoyed doing wound care and assisting in office procedures. Working as a team was the best part of running a clinic because one can get tied up with a patient and not manage to see other patients in time
Uw health
Sr. Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 15, 2016
UW HEALTH is a great place to work. Overall a great community supporter in charities and benefits. As a whole the organize is well diverse in the Madison WI area and surrounding communities.
Overworked
Scheduler Objective/Biofeedback Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 2, 2015
As much as I loved my job, once management knew that you learned something quickly and did it well, they would continue to add on the extra duties, most of which did not fall into my scope of practice. Because of my work ethic, I continued to do my job with pride and to the best of my ability for the sake of the patients.

I did learn a lot, the use of the Epic system, refined my use of Microsoft Office, and my customer service skills. I loved working with patients on a daily basis and the providers.
Pros
Working with patients
Cons
Managements shortsightedness and overloading support staff.
Professional Medical Call Center
Medical Communications Specialist - Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 21, 2015
During a typical day at the communications center, I provided a varied array of customer service over the telephone. Calls came in from patients, physicians, staffs of other health care organizations, organ procurement organizations, and family members of patients. I helped each caller the best that I could and became very proficient in the wide variety of requests that came in.

I confirmed and cancelled appointments, gave directions to our clinics, gave directions for procedure preparation, recorded new births, paged physicians for patient emergencies, paged physicians on the hospital overhead public announcement system, activated emergency code pages, and entered physician on-call schedules for various medical specialties.

The hardest part of my job was activating emergency code pages for heart attacks, strokes, respiratory failures, emergency medical responses, and behavioral distress. These codes must be done in a very timely and accurate manner and I became a pro at doing these.

The most enjoyable part of my position was that I know I made a difference each day by assisting patients over the phone in a kind, respectful, and courteous manner.

The management team was very responsive and provided excellent training on all aspects of the position.
Pros
Opportunities for learning new procedures every day, opportunities for over-time work, and a friendly work environment.
Cons
I can't think of anything in particular.
Amazing coworkers and a Great team atmosphere
UWHC Scheduler-Objective (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 27, 2015
Scheduling is a tough job, especially when your patients have cancer. However, this job was great. The management was pretty awesome, not too strict, but they don't let stuff slide either. The hardest part of the job was the nature of the work. Working with patients and doctors can be tough. However, the team I worked with was great! They also have AMAZING benefits, which basically sells the job itself.
Pros
great insurance, good amout of vacation, coworkers
Cons
cancer sucks.
Flexible
Government Program Billing Specialist-SR (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 30, 2015
Great place to work. Flexible hours, good benefits. Great work environment and open communication skills. Managers doors are always open.
Quality place to work
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 17, 2015
UW Health is an excellent facility to work at. I have had the advantage of working in several roles and clinics to gain medical and management experience.
good employeer
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 12, 2015
Enjoyed working for UWHC for the past 14 years made a lot of good friends and learned a great deal. Management was good and fair.
Decent benefits but low pay
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 12, 2014
Management is mostly interested in their employees getting the work done, not necessarily their well-being. Therefore they may pressure you to put in more hours. The healthcare plan is great but hourly rates are lower than they should be.
Leader in the healthcare industry
Nurse Manager F64, SOS,& Venous Access Team (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 31, 2013
The Nurse Manager role is a 24/7 on call position. Your daily activities include managing the day to day operations of 24/7 nursing care units.
This position is very busy due to managing multiple service lines. The hardest part was being able to meet the competing priorities for your time however the opportunities to be involved in changes to improve healthcare delivery is rewarding.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to spend time with the patients to ask about their care and how to improve on their hospital experience. I also enjoy working with nursing staff and other members of the healthcare team to help them grow as professionals.
Amazing teams with the ability to learn new software and adapt to changes quickly
Registration and Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 24, 2015
Overall a great place to work. Projects and Implementation can at times come quickly without all the testing needed, but changes are done quickly and problems are solved at a reasonable rate
Productive and Exciting work environment
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 8, 2013
The UW is a very fast paced but friendly work environment. There is always something to do, not much sitting around. The best part of the job is the ability of all co-workers to get along and work together to provide effient and quality x-rays. The only down fall is that the PM and Night shifts have to work some rigorous schedules and it is very tiring, but that is the healthcare field.
Pros
great co-workers, friend staff
Cons
terrible work schedule
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 16, 2013
I volunteer in the therapy department and assist the occupational therapists in workout sessions, cleaning, and evaluating patients. I only volunteer once a week, but I love the atmosphere, the patients, and the therapists. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to watch all of the patients improve their quality of life.
Excellent team environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIDecember 29, 2013
UW Home Health Agency is a very efficient organization, with great team players and they provide excellent care in a home setting.
Pros
excellent education on job duties and responsibilities
Cons
their heirarchy made it not possible to obtain a regular full-time position
good gig
Resource Nurse (Current Employee) –  ICUDecember 30, 2013
edu environment, several specialized ICUs, several opportunities for movement laterally, newly implemented clinical ladder.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
new bllsht clinical ladder
Rewarding day to day
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 5, 2013
rewarding on a daily basis. I was required to think on my toes constantly. A great sense of accomplishment.
Pros
great hours
Cons
expensive parking
Emergency Department Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 22, 2013
Focus is on patient care and nurses are respected and their opinions valued in the care of their patients.
N/a
Clinical Pharmacist - Acute Care (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 9, 2013
Great place to work, great staff and health care professionals, pharmacy leadership is strong.
Productive and Professional
Physical Therapy (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 8, 2014
Surrounded by highly educated and motivated physical therapist.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3