University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Laid back and schedule friendly opportunity
Laboratory Researcher (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 17, 2016
This job was a great way for me to get my foot in the door as a future researcher. It tested my ability to problem solved, think outside of what is normally required of a student, and lead the way in specific aspects of my research.

I primarily was responsible for fine-tuning the variables of a particular procedure so that it could later be applied directly to the new one we were developing.

My adviser was seldom there, but he was around if we ever had pressing questions. My researching peers were new to the project, but fast enough learners to move forward.
Pros
On campus, decide own hours
Challenging and Fun
Tutor/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIAugust 9, 2016
I was required to tutor for a class size of about 30 (only a few showed up at a time) for about 5 hours a week. It was challenging and it kept my physics knowledge sharp.

In addition, I spent a lot of time setting up physics labs and helping conduct demos.

I would highly recommend tutoring and T.A. for anyone wanting to stay sharp and continue learning. In addition, it's incredibly rewarding to teach people who really want to learn the material and help them understand.
Pros
excellent experience, fun
Cons
Not great pay
Solid benefits, not much room to grow.
Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 19, 2016
Good place to work with solid benefits, but compensation and lack of advancement make it difficult to stay long term. There is little professional development money for staff. Depending on your supervisor, working remotely on occasion is nice, but not all supervisors will allow this.
Pros
Some flexibility, healthcare & retirement benefits
Cons
lack of professional development, little room for growth
Joy Global
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 22, 2016
Joy Global Inc. had its beginnings in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. At the time, Milwaukee was a center of industrial machinery manufacturing at the convergence of three rivers entering Lake Michigan. Among the growing number of machinery manufacturing firms in Milwaukee in the 1870s was a struggling firm known as the Whitehill Sewing Machine Company.
Productive Work shop machinery
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 6, 2016
It was good working as a research assistant for a couple of months during the year of 2014. The typical day work flow was pretty much busy because all people I work with were Phd students that time, where also they were my supervisors. I learned a lot in working with many kind of samples and enter the data, compare it with old researches. The hardest part was when polishing the metal sample and make them look like crystalline or mirror.
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Somers, WIJune 6, 2016
I was hired because Parkside's math department imploded due to draconian cuts to the entire UW System. There are a lot of individuals at Parkside who are truly dedicated to lifting students up and teaching them to succeed. The uncertain environment and antagonistic leadership makes it hard for them to coordinate their actions or plan for the future.
Pros
Passionate Teachers, Hardscrabble Students
Cons
Uncertainty about the future
It is a good start out.
TV Technician (Former Employee) –  UWW TVAugust 23, 2016
Working for UWW - TV is something I would never take back working there. However, it does it somewhat personal toward stressful times and words are said that cannot take back. However, the experience is a nice touch to a resume and the friends you make in the workplace are amazing.
Pros
no dress code
Cons
Boss has attitude when stressed
Productive place to work
Prep/Counter Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work included working at the sandwich counter, prepping foods, and washing dishes. Through this job I learned how to quickly get food to my customers and have a conversation with them as I was prepping it. The managers were easy to talk to and willing to help in any way that they could. My co-workers were fun to be around and hard-working, also willing to help in any way that they could. The hardest part of the job was food logs, prepping the right amount of food and measuring temperatures while making food for the customers in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with my co-workers and regular customers.
fun workplace and friendly managers
Library Assistant Circulator (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 19, 2016
As a library assistant circulator, the main target was to help UWL community to check out books and materials, and also helped students to solve all the problems they have about finding books, Make sure to provide any help to the customers in the library.
Collaborative and engaging workplace
University Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 25, 2016
Most coworkers are very friendly and helpful and great to work with. The job duties are challenging but enjoyable. I've learned a great deal about academic administration, basic financial and business duties, and the inner workings of university functions.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere/coworkers, great benefits
Cons
Difficult job advancement, sometimes inconsistent workflow
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 6, 2016
UWM took huge budget cuts which lost me my teaching job. Many of use lost our job. The morale is low and management is unconcerned about the high stress level resulting from budget cut. I found it hard to work there because the new supervisor who came in was not well-equipped to do his/her job.
Student-Athlete
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 11, 2016
Being a college student-athlete has been the most challenging obstacles I have ever experience. Being an athlete in the college level on athletic scholarship is a privilege but at the same time it causes conflicts to my academic study sessions. This does not stop me, however, to reach my career goal to be a physical therapist. It taught me that privileges require sacrifices and this is what I believe will help me reach to my life goals with hard work and dedication.
An Ivory Tower
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 22, 2016
but what an Ivory Tower? Would have loved to have stayed there longer - if only I had not graduated with a Masters Degree in Industrial Engineering, specializing in Operations Research.
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
you need to be a registerd student
Fun people and atmosphere
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Large Animal Teaching HospitalMarch 30, 2016
The scheduling is sometimes messy, but pretty good for how variable the work-load is. It pays poorly for how much work it is, but is a very desirable position. The potential for advancement is pretty high, as the more experience one gains, the more jobs become available (to a certain point).
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Can be very long hours at times
Fun place to work with a great energetic atmosphere
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 1, 2016
The gym is always a fun place to be because everyone is ready to work on themselves. My responsibilities each day at this job were greeting customers, checking in students, organizing and cleaning machine equipment, instructing student “how to” life in the proper
format to help prevent injuries. I helped improve office efficiency and customer service by engaging with customers to make them want to come back and workout at your gym every day.
Pros
Great work enviornment, close to my house.
Cons
No breaks, little hours available
State reduction of higher education funding is difficult
Director of Academic Advising and Career Services (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 30, 2016
Great people work at UWL, however, with the ongoing reduction of funding for this institution (and other UW institutions), they are reducing staffing, programs, and the support of students will diminish.
Friendly staff and management, good opportunity for management rolls for students
Help Desk Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2016
Take a job at the DoIT Help Desk as a student and rise through the ranks early on. You get raises for learning new skills and advancing in position and you can make a positive impact on the campus while managing flexible hours
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Service job
Great College Job
Student Machine Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 30, 2016
Working in the student shop provided great learning opportunities, was flexible with school schedule, and provided great relationships between coworkers and students.
Pros
Flexibility, knowledge gain
Cons
Relatively thankless nature of the students that use the shop
Ok place
Associate Scientist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 16, 2016
Ok Place, salary is not good, not many good mentor left. You have to pay for everything, co-pay are increased for doctor visits. If you do not have any better option, ok to work here.
Rewarding and challenging
Network Administrator/Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 26, 2016
Working at the UW has given me the opportunity to work with a diverse user base and a broad range of hardware and software products. I've had many training opportunities which have allowed me to expand my IT knowledge.

A typical day is never typical. Always something new.

My co-workers have been extraordinary in that they come from all walks of life.

The hardest part of the job is knowing what to work on next in a one-man shop.

Working with college students is very rewarding and most enjoyable.
Pros
freedom to choose projects

4.3