University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Working at UWS
Parking Attendant/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIDecember 10, 2017
I was a student working through a work study grant. When I got into my current job it was nice to have steady hours that worked around my schedule and I could take time off if I needed. The management was nice and worked with me when necessary.
Pros
Relaxed, flexible, sometimes fast paced
Cons
No breaks due to short hours
Friendly atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIDecember 1, 2017
I tutored in the Academic Skills Center. You can pick your hours, which classes you want to tutor (from a list you're qualified for) and have flexibility in how you conduct your lessons. Training can be a bit dry.
Great Relaxed Place of Business
Event Set-up Manager (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WINovember 29, 2017
Gret work-life balance. Easy work. Not much effort is needed to complete the job requirements. Little time commitment. Low skills required. Flexibility.
Competitive and Encouraging workplace with free coffee and tea
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 26, 2017
Working for the University of Wisconsin's telefund is a challenging but encouraging experience that allows any and all to apply and work towards being a successful caller. The training process has lacked in the past few months, though, so becoming a good caller really takes time and experience. However, once a caller learns how to hold sufficient conversations and raise dollars, the job is fun and can be laid back at times.
Pros
free coffee and tea, being able to work on homework when not on the phone
Cons
sitting for 3.5 hours at a time. some alum are rude and inconsiderate to callers
Work/Study Program
Veteran Student Assistant-VA Work Study Program (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WINovember 21, 2017
Worked with veteran students to explain education benefit options. Assisted in application processes for these benefits. Acted as liaison between students and Veterans Advisor which streamlined process.
Great Workplace for many positions
Resident Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  Whitewater, WINovember 20, 2017
I have had a great time working at the University of Wisconsin Whitewater because the people i've worked with are always positive and very hardworking.
Budget issues affecting those at the teaching level.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WINovember 20, 2017
Lack of management skills; no basic supplies; did not even tell me that I would not be employed after this semester. However, the students are receptive to learning.
Pros
Students
Cons
Unskilled management
good
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2017
The environment of the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee is friendly. Faculties, staff are very helpful. If you really want to do something, the opportunity is available here.
Good Part Time Job
Videographer (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WINovember 18, 2017
You don't get paid a lot but it is a good student job. There were a lot of good projects but when it's busy it's exciting. My boss left fairly early and it was hard to keep up momentum after that with an unclear structure but the work was still enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours for students
Cons
Not paid a lot
Intern
Social Media and Communications Internship (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WINovember 15, 2017
My internship was more self directed and there wasn't a lot of guidance, however it gave me the freedom to experiment and do what I wanted to and it also looks good on a resume.
uw
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 14, 2017
Good place to work. Many opportunities to work in different areas of the medical field. Good benefits. Great management, co-workers and physicians.
Cons
Having to pay for parking.
PhD at University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 12, 2017
UWM is a decent place to study PhD. The university has a variety of majors in different levels.
My adviser helped me greatly through my graduate studies and research. The campus is located in Milwaukee which a great and beautiful city.
College Job
Reading Adjunct Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WINovember 10, 2017
The university provides opportunities for students to work at basically minimum wage. This opportunity was better for character building then pay. I would recommend this to new students.
Productive and laid back
Operations/Fitness Attendant/ Event Staff Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 10, 2017
It is a very accommodating job to have while in college. It gives you a small taste of a professional setting and gives you the opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Can do homework at work
Cons
short shifts
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 9, 2017
Great research environment with the state of art facilities and equipment. The university is a great institution with outstanding scientists. Allowed to conduct the research work independently and provided with the necessary tools to do so.
Pros
Cons
Lack of job security
Great
Assistant Tennis Coach (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WINovember 8, 2017
Awesome place to work. Everyone in the entire athletic department was great to work with. Very comfortable workplace where I felt right at whole every single day.
Academia is Tough
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT/COURSE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 7, 2017
While I thoroughly loved teaching, the other side to working for a university is frustrating. Constantly struggling with funding, growing demands for how to help students without any support to do so, and ultimately feeling underappreciated made the job difficult at times. The department I worked for was great, but the university as a whole needs serious help.
Pros
Fun environment at times, good health insurance
Cons
Bad communication, extremely limited funding, back stabbing coworkers, high demands without resources
Fun place and fun people.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 6, 2017
The job is laid back and allows you to meet many people.The manager is knowledgeable and helpful. The work is fast-paced during peak times and can be somewhat stressful. If you make yourself invaluable you are more likely to be promoted.
No Micromanaging!
Media Specialist, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 6, 2017
My immediate supervisors were professors who taught and worked in research and they were excellent to work for. I couldn't ask for better people. Not much chance of getting a raise, unless you have awesome supervisors like me who go out of their way to find some small grants that added a little more onto my salary - enough to make life happier and my hard work pay off. Time off was very flexible. We "flexed" our hours, meaning on the days when you had to put in a lot of hours you did, and on days that were slower you could take those extra hours and leave early. If you work in research, inquire as to how long the grant money will last. I lost my job because the grant money ran out just as the Republicans caused a government sequester which blocked any more grants from being approved which would have let me keep my job. (Thanks Republicans! Love ya!) The city, community and lifestyle are the best! You won't regret getting a job at UW.
Pros
flexible time off, good insurance, nice people
Cons
increase in salary can take many, many years, grant jobs are unstable
Easy to understand why they're consistently rated as a top employer
Sr. Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 5, 2017
This is by far the best place I'e ever worked. Leadership is transparent, employees are encourgaged to grow and develop. Member service is paramount. Excellent benefits, pay needs to be a bit higher for non-entry level positions.

My colleagues are my friends, and I enjoy going to work. Great work/life balance. I highly recommend UW Credit Union as an employer.
Cons
Weekends for retail