University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Rewarding and challenging
Network Administrator/Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 26, 2016
Working at the UW has given me the opportunity to work with a diverse user base and a broad range of hardware and software products. I've had many training opportunities which have allowed me to expand my IT knowledge.

A typical day is never typical. Always something new.

My co-workers have been extraordinary in that they come from all walks of life.

The hardest part of the job is knowing what to work on next in a one-man shop.

Working with college students is very rewarding and most enjoyable.
Pros
freedom to choose projects
Bright Future
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 25, 2016
There are many wonderful people to work with here and are generally very flexible. My co-workers were very encouraging and pleasant to work with.
Cons
Difficult lower level managment
First job
CONSULTANT, HR AND PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 9, 2015
An average play to work with cold winters and hot summers. It is alright but not the best place to work. Overall, an average exeperience.
Good place for a clinical
LaCrosse Student Health Services (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 21, 2015
I had good supervision and an appropriately diverse case load at this location. The patient's are primarily students with orthopedic concerns.
Lunch breaks were the best
French Internship (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIOctober 19, 2015
In a typical day at work consisted of mowing, weed whacking, planting, and mulching.

I learned how to plant properly, some landscaping skills like mulching, and I learned how to drive a stick.

My co-workers were great they were students at the University.

I would say the hardest thing was mowing the the slanted hills on campus during those summer hot days.

The most enjoyable part was during lunch time we played some football and frisbee.
Academic Coach
Academic Coach CeO (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 30, 2015
I loved teaching what I know best: Spanish. My former boss is a great person and loves to there for students no matter what.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Studying
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WISeptember 28, 2015
I go to school at UW-Marinette everyday. They are very helpful with planning classes and helping you choose your career.
Pros
Classes; Tuition
Working with dedicated athletes
HEAD DIVING COACH (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WISeptember 22, 2015
There is nothing as wonderful as listening to the sounds in an Aquatic Center. Listening to the swimmers work out and seeing the divers perform daily
Pros
Coaching the divers
Cons
Eating at McDonald's on a road trip
Quite and Productive
Graduate Assistant - Accounting (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 16, 2015
Learned different accounting concepts. Learned how to teach students. Performing research on different concepts about Internal Audit was the major part of my job. Apart from that the coworkers were friendly.
Pros
Since related to my major, Doing research helped me learn more.
Awesome place to work
IT Director - Infrastructure and Operations (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 14, 2015
In my 22 years of IT professional work mostly in private sectors. UW is probably one of the top 1% work places I have had the pleasure of working. dealing with educated and professional people all the time and believe it or not it makes a lot of difference in one's attitude.
Pros
Cons
Cold Winters
Talk about PET research
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 10, 2015
In the Department of Medical Physics alone we have two PET for humans and two microPET. The department developed or built their own cyclotron. We have the one of the biggest primate center in the nation.
the job review
Graduate Assistant in Management Department (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 1, 2015
I have been working at UW-La Crosse part-time (More than a year)
I have to say it's a nice environment with flexible work schedule for students work. The way is also higher than standard student work pay.
Pros
Flexible with time off, helpful coworkers
Cons
Budget for education is unsupported by Wis gorv.
Fun and Flexible
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 31, 2015
The work was pretty easy and it was all in all pretty fun. Got to work with other students and the hours were very flexible.
No where to go
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIAugust 22, 2015
WI does not value education. Seek your advancement elsewhere. Claim to be student focused but are not. Not very diverse. Students will complain if you have an accent.
Pros
Coworkers are great.
Cons
LOTS of work to do. No support. Pay is a joke
A nice place to work on challenging projects
Assistant Scientist (Current Employee) –  Madison WIAugust 18, 2015
A lot of challenging projects
Learn a lot of research experience
Nice working surroundings, easy to make friends
Not very close to people's daily life
Productive place for education
Student worker Dishroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 30, 2015
I graduated and felt ready for the world. The world isn't always ready for the graduate. Just because it was founded by women doesn't make it a pre-women dominated it is big and growing it isn't a fun and games school it will take hard work, and on top of hard work, hard learning and preparations to graduate here.
Pros
A lady foundation now a Large University for men as well.
Cons
Needs to more activity in the world not only society but community.
Great co-workers, state tie-in toxic
Specialist Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 30, 2015
The people who work at UW-Madison are absolutely top-notch. The management I had daily contact with in my position were friendly, super-helpful, concerned about us individually. They "get" that most of us have real lives to go home to, and my co-workers and managers bent over backwards several times as I dealt with a couple of serious family illnesses and other situations. Cannot recommend the day-to-day atmosphere too highly.

In the same vein, I can't stress enough how toxic the UW System's relationship is with the current Wisconsin legislature. While my particular position was entirely stable due to not being tied to the state budget, there was a lot of angst around me for my entire six years here, and my (already meager by coder standards) take-home pay went down by about 12% during my time here, and that downward slide doesn't look like letting up.
Pros
Great co-workers, fascinating work, blue-ribbon health coverage
Cons
Low pay, instability on a system level
A very kind and thoughtful culture
Administrative Program Manager II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2015
The variety is nice, and I wish it was more. I also wish there was more room for advancement. Plus with all the budget cuts....

I like my job, but don't love it.
Pros
Good hours and people
Cons
More change would be nice
Positive enivronment as everyone's focus is serving students
Program Assistant-Confidential (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIJuly 16, 2015
Great collaborative environment and supportive management. I work in administration and am proud of the administrators. I love the community feel throughout the entire campus. The governor has cut so much from the education budget and that has created a lot of damage, including me losing my job.
Pros
Good benefits, close to home, great environment.
Cons
No raise in the six years I have worked here.
Good place to work as a student employee despite the occasional chaos
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 10, 2015
Working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Dining Division of Housing gave me an opportunity to gain supervisor and management experience while I was still a student.

The structure of Housing doesn't allow for necessary changes to be implemented in a timely manner. As a supervisor I was met with several road blocks when I would try to suggest more efficient ways to do things.

Some co-workers just didn't know how to work hard and that was rather frustrating.
Pros
Above average pay for most college jobs
Cons
Some days it was just complete chaos

4.4