University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews in United States

Productive place to work
Prep/Counter Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work included working at the sandwich counter, prepping foods, and washing dishes. Through this job I learned how to quickly get food to my customers and have a conversation with them as I was prepping it. The managers were easy to talk to and willing to help in any way that they could. My co-workers were fun to be around and hard-working, also willing to help in any way that they could. The hardest part of the job was food logs, prepping the right amount of food and measuring temperatures while making food for the customers in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with my co-workers and regular customers.
Student-Athlete
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 11, 2016
Being a college student-athlete has been the most challenging obstacles I have ever experience. Being an athlete in the college level on athletic scholarship is a privilege but at the same time it causes conflicts to my academic study sessions. This does not stop me, however, to reach my career goal to be a physical therapist. It taught me that privileges require sacrifices and this is what I believe will help me reach to my life goals with hard work and dedication.
Collaborative and engaging workplace
University Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 25, 2016
Most coworkers are very friendly and helpful and great to work with. The job duties are challenging but enjoyable. I've learned a great deal about academic administration, basic financial and business duties, and the inner workings of university functions.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere/coworkers, great benefits
Cons
Difficult job advancement, sometimes inconsistent workflow
Fun place to work with a great energetic atmosphere
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 1, 2016
The gym is always a fun place to be because everyone is ready to work on themselves. My responsibilities each day at this job were greeting customers, checking in students, organizing and cleaning machine equipment, instructing student “how to” life in the proper
format to help prevent injuries. I helped improve office efficiency and customer service by engaging with customers to make them want to come back and workout at your gym every day.
Pros
Great work enviornment, close to my house.
Cons
No breaks, little hours available
Fun people and atmosphere
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Large Animal Teaching HospitalMarch 30, 2016
The scheduling is sometimes messy, but pretty good for how variable the work-load is. It pays poorly for how much work it is, but is a very desirable position. The potential for advancement is pretty high, as the more experience one gains, the more jobs become available (to a certain point).
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Can be very long hours at times
Rewarding and challenging
Network Administrator/Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 26, 2016
Working at the UW has given me the opportunity to work with a diverse user base and a broad range of hardware and software products. I've had many training opportunities which have allowed me to expand my IT knowledge.

A typical day is never typical. Always something new.

My co-workers have been extraordinary in that they come from all walks of life.

The hardest part of the job is knowing what to work on next in a one-man shop.

Working with college students is very rewarding and most enjoyable.
Pros
freedom to choose projects
Friendly staff and management, good opportunity for management rolls for students
Help Desk Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2016
Take a job at the DoIT Help Desk as a student and rise through the ranks early on. You get raises for learning new skills and advancing in position and you can make a positive impact on the campus while managing flexible hours
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Service job
Great College Job
Student Machine Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 30, 2016
Working in the student shop provided great learning opportunities, was flexible with school schedule, and provided great relationships between coworkers and students.
Pros
Flexibility, knowledge gain
Cons
Relatively thankless nature of the students that use the shop
State reduction of higher education funding is difficult
Director of Academic Advising and Career Services (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 30, 2016
Great people work at UWL, however, with the ongoing reduction of funding for this institution (and other UW institutions), they are reducing staffing, programs, and the support of students will diminish.
Lunch breaks were the best
French Internship (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIOctober 19, 2015
In a typical day at work consisted of mowing, weed whacking, planting, and mulching.

I learned how to plant properly, some landscaping skills like mulching, and I learned how to drive a stick.

My co-workers were great they were students at the University.

I would say the hardest thing was mowing the the slanted hills on campus during those summer hot days.

The most enjoyable part was during lunch time we played some football and frisbee.
Have to do more with less
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 11, 2016
No raises in sight, awesome benefits. Some opportunities for advancement. Poor employee morale. Some favoritism. The students are great.
Benefits
Cons
pay, morale
Bright Future
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 25, 2016
There are many wonderful people to work with here and are generally very flexible. My co-workers were very encouraging and pleasant to work with.
Cons
Difficult lower level managment
Awesome place to work
IT Director - Infrastructure and Operations (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 14, 2015
In my 22 years of IT professional work mostly in private sectors. UW is probably one of the top 1% work places I have had the pleasure of working. dealing with educated and professional people all the time and believe it or not it makes a lot of difference in one's attitude.
Pros
Cons
Cold Winters
Quite and Productive
Graduate Assistant - Accounting (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 16, 2015
Learned different accounting concepts. Learned how to teach students. Performing research on different concepts about Internal Audit was the major part of my job. Apart from that the coworkers were friendly.
Pros
Since related to my major, Doing research helped me learn more.
the job review
Graduate Assistant in Management Department (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 1, 2015
I have been working at UW-La Crosse part-time (More than a year)
I have to say it's a nice environment with flexible work schedule for students work. The way is also higher than standard student work pay.
Pros
Flexible with time off, helpful coworkers
Cons
Budget for education is unsupported by Wis gorv.
Productive place for education
Student worker Dishroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 30, 2015
I graduated and felt ready for the world. The world isn't always ready for the graduate. Just because it was founded by women doesn't make it a pre-women dominated it is big and growing it isn't a fun and games school it will take hard work, and on top of hard work, hard learning and preparations to graduate here.
Pros
A lady foundation now a Large University for men as well.
Cons
Needs to more activity in the world not only society but community.
Positive enivronment as everyone's focus is serving students
Program Assistant-Confidential (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIJuly 16, 2015
Great collaborative environment and supportive management. I work in administration and am proud of the administrators. I love the community feel throughout the entire campus. The governor has cut so much from the education budget and that has created a lot of damage, including me losing my job.
Pros
Good benefits, close to home, great environment.
Cons
No raise in the six years I have worked here.
First job
CONSULTANT, HR AND PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 9, 2015
An average play to work with cold winters and hot summers. It is alright but not the best place to work. Overall, an average exeperience.
Good place to work as a student employee despite the occasional chaos
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 10, 2015
Working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Dining Division of Housing gave me an opportunity to gain supervisor and management experience while I was still a student.

The structure of Housing doesn't allow for necessary changes to be implemented in a timely manner. As a supervisor I was met with several road blocks when I would try to suggest more efficient ways to do things.

Some co-workers just didn't know how to work hard and that was rather frustrating.
Pros
Above average pay for most college jobs
Cons
Some days it was just complete chaos
One of the best Universities in the world - with the most amazing students you will ever meet.
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 7, 2015
The University of Wisconsin is an amazing place to work. The students on campus bring their energy and spirit to campus everyday and make working their a joy. UW is a big school but it can feel very personal and you can meet and get to know so many other professionals.
Pros
Working on a big 10 campus with world class students and faculty.
Cons
Budget issues are a constant and raises and promotion can be difficult.

4.4