University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

A nice place to work on challenging projects
Assistant Scientist (Current Employee), Madison WIAugust 18, 2015
A lot of challenging projects
Learn a lot of research experience
Nice working surroundings, easy to make friends
Not very close to people's daily life
Productive place for education
Student worker Dishroom Manager (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 30, 2015
Pros: A lady foundation now a Large University for men as well.
Cons: Needs to more activity in the world not only society but community.
I graduated and felt ready for the world. The world isn't always ready for the graduate. Just because it was founded by women doesn't make it a pre-women dominated it is big and growing it isn't a fun and games school it will take hard work, and on top of hard work, hard learning and preparations to graduate here.
Great co-workers, state tie-in toxic
Specialist Designer/Developer (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers, fascinating work, blue-ribbon health coverage
Cons: Low pay, instability on a system level
The people who work at UW-Madison are absolutely top-notch. The management I had daily contact with in my position were friendly, super-helpful, concerned about us individually. They "get" that most of us have real lives to go home to, and my co-workers and managers bent over backwards several times as I dealt with a couple of serious family illnesses and other situations. Cannot recommend the day-to-day atmosphere too highly.

In the same vein, I can't stress enough how toxic the UW System's relationship is with the current Wisconsin legislature. While my particular position was entirely stable due to not being tied to the state budget, there was a lot of angst around me for my entire six years here, and my (already meager by coder standards) take-home pay went down by about 12% during my time here, and that downward slide doesn't look like letting up.
A very kind and thoughtful culture
Administrative Program Manager II (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Good hours and people
Cons: More change would be nice
The variety is nice, and I wish it was more. I also wish there was more room for advancement. Plus with all the budget cuts....

I like my job, but don't love it.
Positive enivronment as everyone's focus is serving students
Program Assistant-Confidential (Former Employee), River Falls, WIJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, close to home, great environment.
Cons: No raise in the six years I have worked here.
Great collaborative environment and supportive management. I work in administration and am proud of the administrators. I love the community feel throughout the entire campus. The governor has cut so much from the education budget and that has created a lot of damage, including me losing my job.
Good place to work as a student employee despite the occasional chaos
Student Supervisor (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Above average pay for most college jobs
Cons: Some days it was just complete chaos
Working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Dining Division of Housing gave me an opportunity to gain supervisor and management experience while I was still a student.

The structure of Housing doesn't allow for necessary changes to be implemented in a timely manner. As a supervisor I was met with several road blocks when I would try to suggest more efficient ways to do things.

Some co-workers just didn't know how to work hard and that was rather frustrating.
great loved ever day
Chef (Former Employee), athleticsJuly 9, 2015
Pros: great benefits great place to work
Cons: nothing
great place never should of left great people good eats great time during games and meet lots of people. players and more.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant to the CIO (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 8, 2015
On a typical day the work at UWM is pretty much self paced. Great co-workers. I continue to lean new things each and everyday
One of the best Universities in the world - with the most amazing students you will ever meet.
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee), Madison, WIJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Working on a big 10 campus with world class students and faculty.
Cons: Budget issues are a constant and raises and promotion can be difficult.
The University of Wisconsin is an amazing place to work. The students on campus bring their energy and spirit to campus everyday and make working their a joy. UW is a big school but it can feel very personal and you can meet and get to know so many other professionals.
Nice place to work
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee), CSHPJune 22, 2015
Nice place to work, challenging, can be fast paced, rarely dull. There is a chance for advancement. Good co-workers, and environment.
limited opportunities for advancement
Instructional Specialist (Former Employee), Rock CountyJune 12, 2015
The enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. The hardest was to have high expectation while the pay was not very good.
Managment does not treat employees well
FRONT OFFICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2015
I worked at our schools Marketing department for almost a year and a half and felt that no one was treated fairly. Our boss played favorites and if you were not one of them you could expect to need to be doing all the grunt work. They overhired and then needed to compensate for that error by firing people over insuffiecnt reasons.
Academic proficiencies
Geosciences Graduate Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2015
Pros: Corporate culture
Cons: personal leadership
The State of Wisconsin throughout the state wide system has a very supportive system. The administrative culture is professional and amicable. The hardest part of the Job was requiring students and coworkers to maintain integrity at all aspects of comportment on or off campus. Interestingly this was also my favorite part of the job since afore mentioned challenge came with a higher degree of social discourse.
Fun team environment
River Falls Hockey Team Member (Current Employee), River Falls, WIMay 26, 2015
Team building, fast-paced competitive environment which allowed me to pursue and excel both on and off the ice. Great learning experience.
Very social job with great residents
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIMay 19, 2015
Pros: No prior experience required
Cons: Minimum Wage
This job is mostly to assist residents in the hall or provide them access to things such as equipment, computer cards, or pizza.
Typical Graduate Student Life
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Madison, WIMay 18, 2015
A nice place to spend five years for graduate school. The engineering department is very good. It has sounded like a pretty standard graduate experience.
Great working environment, with great support from supervisor.
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIMay 14, 2015
A typical day at work was doing outreach for middle school to high school sports.

I learned a lot about the typical injuries related to hockey.

The supervisor of the graduate assistant program was great!

My co-workers were great people to work with.

The hardest part of the job was juggling school with work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with then student athletes and getting them back to playing their sport.
Very laid back, flexible hours for students
Webmaster (Former Employee), Stevens Point, WIMay 13, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low pay
Very laid back environment, and very student oriented. They will work with almost any schedule, even if that only means 5-10 hours per week. Low pay, but good people and very flexible
Poorly managed undergraduate program
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 20, 2015
Worst place for a professional to work. Very unprofessional leaders in this workplace. Faculty lacks up to date nursing experiences. Most teacher degrade students instead of helping them. This is definitely the place where those who cannot "do","teach" and worse those who cannot manage , direct
UWM is a good college to gain a good academic and work experiences.
Teaching assistant (Group Study Leader) (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 18, 2015
I am really pleased to have my Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering degree from University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.I have learned different kinds of skills and techniques in the field of engineering. I believe that I have acquired enough academic background, skills and technical abilities related to Designing, layout, schematic, Testing, Electronics, Power, Energy. In addition, I have further developed my problem solving and analytic skills. University of Wisconsin Milwaukee (UWM) is a good college to gain a good academic and work experiences.