University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews in United States

Productive Work shop machinery
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 6, 2016
It was good working as a research assistant for a couple of months during the year of 2014. The typical day work flow was pretty much busy because all people I work with were Phd students that time, where also they were my supervisors. I learned a lot in working with many kind of samples and enter the data, compare it with old researches. The hardest part was when polishing the metal sample and make them look like crystalline or mirror.
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Somers, WIJune 6, 2016
I was hired because Parkside's math department imploded due to draconian cuts to the entire UW System. There are a lot of individuals at Parkside who are truly dedicated to lifting students up and teaching them to succeed. The uncertain environment and antagonistic leadership makes it hard for them to coordinate their actions or plan for the future.
Pros
Passionate Teachers, Hardscrabble Students
Cons
Uncertainty about the future
Solid benefits, not much room to grow.
Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 19, 2016
Good place to work with solid benefits, but compensation and lack of advancement make it difficult to stay long term. There is little professional development money for staff. Depending on your supervisor, working remotely on occasion is nice, but not all supervisors will allow this.
Pros
Some flexibility, healthcare & retirement benefits
Cons
lack of professional development, little room for growth
Productive place to work
Prep/Counter Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work included working at the sandwich counter, prepping foods, and washing dishes. Through this job I learned how to quickly get food to my customers and have a conversation with them as I was prepping it. The managers were easy to talk to and willing to help in any way that they could. My co-workers were fun to be around and hard-working, also willing to help in any way that they could. The hardest part of the job was food logs, prepping the right amount of food and measuring temperatures while making food for the customers in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with my co-workers and regular customers.
Collaborative and engaging workplace
University Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 25, 2016
Most coworkers are very friendly and helpful and great to work with. The job duties are challenging but enjoyable. I've learned a great deal about academic administration, basic financial and business duties, and the inner workings of university functions.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere/coworkers, great benefits
Cons
Difficult job advancement, sometimes inconsistent workflow
Student-Athlete
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 11, 2016
Being a college student-athlete has been the most challenging obstacles I have ever experience. Being an athlete in the college level on athletic scholarship is a privilege but at the same time it causes conflicts to my academic study sessions. This does not stop me, however, to reach my career goal to be a physical therapist. It taught me that privileges require sacrifices and this is what I believe will help me reach to my life goals with hard work and dedication.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 6, 2016
UWM took huge budget cuts which lost me my teaching job. Many of use lost our job. The morale is low and management is unconcerned about the high stress level resulting from budget cut. I found it hard to work there because the new supervisor who came in was not well-equipped to do his/her job.
Fun place to work with a great energetic atmosphere
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 1, 2016
The gym is always a fun place to be because everyone is ready to work on themselves. My responsibilities each day at this job were greeting customers, checking in students, organizing and cleaning machine equipment, instructing student “how to” life in the proper
format to help prevent injuries. I helped improve office efficiency and customer service by engaging with customers to make them want to come back and workout at your gym every day.
Pros
Great work enviornment, close to my house.
Cons
No breaks, little hours available
Fun people and atmosphere
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Large Animal Teaching HospitalMarch 30, 2016
The scheduling is sometimes messy, but pretty good for how variable the work-load is. It pays poorly for how much work it is, but is a very desirable position. The potential for advancement is pretty high, as the more experience one gains, the more jobs become available (to a certain point).
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Can be very long hours at times
Friendly staff and management, good opportunity for management rolls for students
Help Desk Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2016
Take a job at the DoIT Help Desk as a student and rise through the ranks early on. You get raises for learning new skills and advancing in position and you can make a positive impact on the campus while managing flexible hours
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Service job
State reduction of higher education funding is difficult
Director of Academic Advising and Career Services (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 30, 2016
Great people work at UWL, however, with the ongoing reduction of funding for this institution (and other UW institutions), they are reducing staffing, programs, and the support of students will diminish.
Rewarding and challenging
Network Administrator/Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 26, 2016
Working at the UW has given me the opportunity to work with a diverse user base and a broad range of hardware and software products. I've had many training opportunities which have allowed me to expand my IT knowledge.

A typical day is never typical. Always something new.

My co-workers have been extraordinary in that they come from all walks of life.

The hardest part of the job is knowing what to work on next in a one-man shop.

Working with college students is very rewarding and most enjoyable.
Pros
freedom to choose projects
An Ivory Tower
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 22, 2016
but what an Ivory Tower? Would have loved to have stayed there longer - if only I had not graduated with a Masters Degree in Industrial Engineering, specializing in Operations Research.
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
you need to be a registerd student
Great College Job
Student Machine Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 30, 2016
Working in the student shop provided great learning opportunities, was flexible with school schedule, and provided great relationships between coworkers and students.
Pros
Flexibility, knowledge gain
Cons
Relatively thankless nature of the students that use the shop
Have to do more with less
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 11, 2016
No raises in sight, awesome benefits. Some opportunities for advancement. Poor employee morale. Some favoritism. The students are great.
Benefits
Cons
pay, morale
Lunch breaks were the best
French Internship (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIOctober 19, 2015
In a typical day at work consisted of mowing, weed whacking, planting, and mulching.

I learned how to plant properly, some landscaping skills like mulching, and I learned how to drive a stick.

My co-workers were great they were students at the University.

I would say the hardest thing was mowing the the slanted hills on campus during those summer hot days.

The most enjoyable part was during lunch time we played some football and frisbee.
Excellent
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 29, 2016
Excellent work environment, work flexibility, career advancement opportunity, cooperative and helping environment
Bright Future
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 25, 2016
There are many wonderful people to work with here and are generally very flexible. My co-workers were very encouraging and pleasant to work with.
Cons
Difficult lower level managment
Awesome place to work
IT Director - Infrastructure and Operations (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 14, 2015
In my 22 years of IT professional work mostly in private sectors. UW is probably one of the top 1% work places I have had the pleasure of working. dealing with educated and professional people all the time and believe it or not it makes a lot of difference in one's attitude.
Pros
Cons
Cold Winters
Quite and Productive
Graduate Assistant - Accounting (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 16, 2015
Learned different accounting concepts. Learned how to teach students. Performing research on different concepts about Internal Audit was the major part of my job. Apart from that the coworkers were friendly.
Pros
Since related to my major, Doing research helped me learn more.

4.3