University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Typical college job
Platteville Student Support Services (Former Employee) –  Platteville, WIJanuary 18, 2017
Found myself enjoying my coworkers more than my job. There is flexible scheduling, but it depends largely on where you work. I was part of dining services, and only certain areas would let you opt out of finals week. Pay is minimal, barely over minimum wage at starting (there are raises...). Didn't need an interview, just walked in and was hired.
Pros
convenient, easy to get in
Cons
pay, whipping boy
Solid benefits, not much room to grow.
Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 19, 2016
Good place to work with solid benefits, but compensation and lack of advancement make it difficult to stay long term. There is little professional development money for staff. Depending on your supervisor, working remotely on occasion is nice, but not all supervisors will allow this.
Pros
Some flexibility, healthcare & retirement benefits
Cons
lack of professional development, little room for growth
High Stress
Assistant Director of Facilities Management (Former Employee) –  Kenosha WisconsinOctober 14, 2016
Beautiful campus many of wonderful workers. The university is part of the state system. With state budget cuts to the campus positions were left open and everyone had to do more with less.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Low pay scale hard to find help because of the low wage
Ok place
Associate Scientist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 16, 2016
Ok Place, salary is not good, not many good mentor left. You have to pay for everything, co-pay are increased for doctor visits. If you do not have any better option, ok to work here.
Collaborative and engaging workplace
University Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 25, 2016
Most coworkers are very friendly and helpful and great to work with. The job duties are challenging but enjoyable. I've learned a great deal about academic administration, basic financial and business duties, and the inner workings of university functions.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere/coworkers, great benefits
Cons
Difficult job advancement, sometimes inconsistent workflow
Have to do more with less
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 11, 2016
No raises in sight, awesome benefits. Some opportunities for advancement. Poor employee morale. Some favoritism. The students are great.
Benefits
Cons
pay, morale
Productive environment with co-workers always willing to help you advance
Information Security Office - Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WINovember 14, 2016
As a student, working at UWSP was never a chore. Co-workers were always friendly and willing to give advice whenever I needed it.

Management was pretty uniform across the I.T. Department at UWSP; I was often times assigned multiple different projects that I had almost complete autonomy to work on however I saw fit, with minimal interference.
Friendly staff and management, good opportunity for management rolls for students
Help Desk Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2016
Take a job at the DoIT Help Desk as a student and rise through the ranks early on. You get raises for learning new skills and advancing in position and you can make a positive impact on the campus while managing flexible hours
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Service job
Easily Expendable
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2016
Management is dicey, and takes favorites.

Your social life will cease to exist and you will be on edge and stressed all the time.

When they tell you about the fishbowl its not a lie everyone is always watching.
Pros
Free Housing and Meal Plan
Cons
You will have no social life, no free time, and will never have anyone to hear you out.
good fun place to work
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 16, 2017
this is a good place to work. the people are nice. the office is nice. the management is good. i just need to get twenty words in this section so i can be done.

Want to know more about University of Wisconsin?

Ask a question
Laid back and schedule friendly opportunity
Laboratory Researcher (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 17, 2016
This job was a great way for me to get my foot in the door as a future researcher. It tested my ability to problem solved, think outside of what is normally required of a student, and lead the way in specific aspects of my research.

I primarily was responsible for fine-tuning the variables of a particular procedure so that it could later be applied directly to the new one we were developing.

My adviser was seldom there, but he was around if we ever had pressing questions. My researching peers were new to the project, but fast enough learners to move forward.
Pros
On campus, decide own hours
Communication based position
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 16, 2016
A very good job that tests the skills of students in the operations field. A lot of the duties include team work, cash management, software use, and much more.
Good Place to Work
Graduate Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  WisconsinOctober 19, 2016
I have worked on the campus in different positions as a student worker over the past four years and loved every minute. The campus is an easy place to work for. The department that I work for currently is very laid back. It is easy to get along with all of my co-workers. I have learned so much from everyone that I work for. It is a constant learning environment.
Fun people and atmosphere
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Large Animal Teaching HospitalMarch 30, 2016
The scheduling is sometimes messy, but pretty good for how variable the work-load is. It pays poorly for how much work it is, but is a very desirable position. The potential for advancement is pretty high, as the more experience one gains, the more jobs become available (to a certain point).
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Can be very long hours at times
Great job. I was heartbroken to leave for a family move.
Senior Landscape Architect, UW Madison (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 14, 2016
This was a terrific position for a terrific organization. I was heartbroken to have to leave after the birth of my daughter for my husband's job.
Pros
Involvement with the new Lakeshore Nature Preserv
Challenging and Fun
Tutor/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIAugust 9, 2016
I was required to tutor for a class size of about 30 (only a few showed up at a time) for about 5 hours a week. It was challenging and it kept my physics knowledge sharp.

In addition, I spent a lot of time setting up physics labs and helping conduct demos.

I would highly recommend tutoring and T.A. for anyone wanting to stay sharp and continue learning. In addition, it's incredibly rewarding to teach people who really want to learn the material and help them understand.
Pros
excellent experience, fun
Cons
Not great pay
Positive environment
Continuing Education French Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJanuary 19, 2017
Enjoyed working with administrators and students. Great opportunity to grow as a worker. Nice workplace.The pay is great and the tools needed to perform well are provided.
Great Learning Experience
DANCE CAPTAIN / SOCIAL MEDIA COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 15, 2017
The university makes it easy to find some outlet to engage your many interests. There are so many opportunities to take advantage of.
Joy Global
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 22, 2016
Joy Global Inc. had its beginnings in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. At the time, Milwaukee was a center of industrial machinery manufacturing at the convergence of three rivers entering Lake Michigan. Among the growing number of machinery manufacturing firms in Milwaukee in the 1870s was a struggling firm known as the Whitehill Sewing Machine Company.
Pepper Construction
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIDecember 14, 2016
-Review calendar for the week and day, then determine which job site to inspect
-Inspect job site with supervisor
-Create Safety Power-Points
-Tool box talks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3