University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Great, fun, and diverse work place
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2014
I really love working at UWM as a student union custodian. I have been working there going on 4 years now. I know just about anything when it comes to be a working custodian and also a hard worker as well. I pretty much just clean floors, table tops, sweep and mop, clean kitchen and bathrooms, and pull trash. I know all the cleaning materials that we use and I gained some experience of project work, for example stripping and waxing floors and auto-scrubbing and polishing floors too. There are only 2 reasons why I do not like working there, 1) the payment, when I first started working there in 2010 my wage was $7.50 and now 2014 and my wage now is $8.53. 2) There are two kinds of employment at UWM and that's a full-time employee and a student part-time employee which is the one I am. Since I am a student worker I can only have my job if I am enrolled in school which I currently am but if I'm not I would not be employed there. I tried to go for full-time employment but they are booked. Overall I really love working at UWM because its very diverse environment and you will meet new people and see different events there all the time and there isn't really a dull moment there. I am a very hard working man who is looking for a new job for new experiences and also a new wage because I know after being employed for 5 hard years I deserve a better wage thank you Indeed.com.
Pros
fun work, meeting new and diverse people, and it doesn't get boring.
Cons
the pay wage is too low for full and part-time workers and only if your student you can work there.
Teaching Assistant - Department of Theatre and Drama
Theatre Intern Instructor/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 29, 2013
A typical work day began with meeting with the lead professor to review the teaching syllabus and what would be covered for the week. Any challenges or breakthroughs with the students were discussed as well.

I learned how to maintain order and attentiveness in the classroom through games, bridgework, improvisation and discussion, I learned how to be an attentive listener, how to facilitate discussion and how to incite students to become active critical thinkers.

My co-workers were amazing in their support. We shared experiences with our groups, on occasion we would join groups together for discussions and improvisations, and we were there for each other when the classes were challenging.

The plus side of the job: The class itself was the reason for going to work. Since I taught an Applied Theatre class that dealt with social justice issues, there were always current events that tied into the syllabus.

The down side of the job: Some days I barely had time between my classes and my TA schedule. Very little time to debrief, have lunch, or time to review material before rehearsals. Rehearsals were always immediately or 30 minutes after class ended, which again, left no time to fully prepare for rehearsals. Days like those usually required preparations that went well into the early morning, leaving little time for rest.
Pros
my students!
Cons
tight scheduling. very little down time.
Very fun atmosphere in a laboratory setting teaching and helping students
Student Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Superior, WIJune 4, 2013
A typical day at work consists of me setting up for the laboratory session. When laboratory started, I would assist students dissect cats if they couldn't find a particular structure by the means of a probe and removing fascia along the way. There were multiple body systems covered including: circulatory, digestive, and reproductive systems. I learned the fundamentals of dissections and the anatomy/locations of most bodily organs. I also learned the importance of the anatomical position. There were not many hard aspects of this job since I've taken both anatomy courses with the same professor at did very well in each class so I know the material. I enjoyed every aspect of helping others within a physiological context because medicine and anatomy is a passion of mine. I love assisting and making an impact by helping other students learn important concepts and identifying structures located within the body. At this point in my career, I feel I need to help people rather than just wanting to because I don't see myself doing anything else.
Great experience in the research field
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Superior, WIJune 22, 2014
For this research study, I was in charge of all parts from conception of the idea to completion of the manuscript. I created a research question and hypothesis, set up times for and conducted my experiments, analyzed the data and wrote a manuscript detailing all parts of the study and what was concluded from it. I had a professor overseeing my work and making sure I complied with all the IRB standards. She helped me find answers whenever I had questions and was a great mentor. the most enjoyable part of this job was the completion of the manuscript. Knowing that all my hard work paid off and resulted in something that seemed so daunting to complete at the beginning was a great feeling. The hardest part of this job was thinking of only one thing that I wanted to study that could better the psychological community. I had so many questions that I wanted answers to that it was hard to pick just one. Now I feel more confident about the process of answering more questions and further contributing to the psychological community.
Pros
great experience, course credits
Cons
short term assignment, unpaid
Great co-workers, state tie-in toxic
Specialist Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 30, 2015
The people who work at UW-Madison are absolutely top-notch. The management I had daily contact with in my position were friendly, super-helpful, concerned about us individually. They "get" that most of us have real lives to go home to, and my co-workers and managers bent over backwards several times as I dealt with a couple of serious family illnesses and other situations. Cannot recommend the day-to-day atmosphere too highly.

In the same vein, I can't stress enough how toxic the UW System's relationship is with the current Wisconsin legislature. While my particular position was entirely stable due to not being tied to the state budget, there was a lot of angst around me for my entire six years here, and my (already meager by coder standards) take-home pay went down by about 12% during my time here, and that downward slide doesn't look like letting up.
Pros
Great co-workers, fascinating work, blue-ribbon health coverage
Cons
Low pay, instability on a system level
Excellent department staff
Graduate Assistant - Accounting (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 7, 2015
I am currently working as a part-time Graduate Assistant in the Accounting department. Most of my time is spent researching scholar articles online and finding resources and material that professors need to write journals and case studies. The work environment is very relaxed and friendly as everyone in the department communicates with each other. I had to research and gather material about "fraud in financial institutions" an accounting course that was required by the professor to teach during the semester. Researching on this specific topic was one of the best part of the job as I found very interesting cases. Contacting auditors and internal auditors of nearby banks and discussing about issues such as "how fraud can be prevented" was a learning experience.
Moreover, It was very pleasing to creatively come up with ideas and plans to assist professor with the course syllabus design.
Productive and fun work place with peers and co-eds
Lead Worker / Intramural Referee / Events Staff (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 14, 2015
Started in operations, after 9 months, I was promoted to lead worker. My managers were happy with my performance so they asked if I'd help promote intramurals, which lead to refereeing intramurals, which led to them wanting me to work special events. The opportunities were almost endless.

Almost on a day to day basis I had to pick up coworkers slack and irresponsibilities. Not my most favorite part of the day but as time went on, I started to expect it.

Throughout a day lead working, I had to deal with numerous patrons on my own and had to organize my priorities as I helped patrons. Everyday tested and also improved my multitasking skills.

I learned how to interact better with customers, treat them with respect even if they were disrespecting me; maintaining my cool under a lot of pressure; and handling situations with responsibility and ordinance.
Progressive and valuable workplace
COAST Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 17, 2013
A typical work day starts between 7–10 am dependent on one's department, and employees typically work 8–10 hour shifts until 4:30–7 pm dependent on start time. Evening and weekend hours are periodically required for major events, especially at the beginning of the academic year. I learned how to manage my schedule to create work-life balance even during evenings with later hours (sometimes until 10:30 pm) and when completing weekend work. In addition, I learned how to work with a diverse population of student and professional staff. The most enjoyable part of my work was assisting students and also serving the local Milwaukee community through weekend outreach events.
Pros
dedicated and open-minded co-workers who are committed to life-long learning
Offers great flexibility to students, good work environment, minimum wage
Diversity Networking Program - Outreach Intern (Current Employee) –  Whitewater, WINovember 22, 2014
I enjoy working as an intern in Career and Leadership Development. We receive a fixed salary for the whole semester and depending of the work flow, some weeks interns work less than the minimum 13 per week, and other times it is the opposite. Every team has weekly staff meetings to review individual progresses. There is a monthly intern session which serves as a team building exercise. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be part of a department that offers tools and opportunities for students to develop professional skills and connect with potential employers.
Pros
activities and events, work environment
Cons
minimum wage, little room for advancement
Allergic Eye Disease
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 5, 2014
-Allergic Ocular Inflammation, focusing on mast cell and epithelial cell biology
-Interactions of the conjunctival epithelium with microbial cell wall components and how these interactions influence barrier function, epithelial cell activation, and epithelial cell response to allergic mediators.
-The role of eosinophils in airway inflammation and remodeling
Responsibilities include:
-Grant preparation, submission and management
-Laboratory administration
-Ensuring compliance with UW, sponsor and agencies guidelines -Design and conduct research studies
-Manuscript preparation and submission
-Preparation and presentation of research results at regional and international conferences.
Loved working at UWM. Learned a lot from staff and students.
Drawing/figure Drawing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 29, 2014
Being in front of a group as the main focus in a classroom was at first a nerve-racking experience, but in time my insides did calm down a bit. The students were interesting and devoted participants in class. Management did not look over your shoulders, but did give you guidelines and answered questions when asked. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing first-day drawings and comparing them to drawings throughout the semester, which was very rewarding for the students and myself.
Pros
being part of such a young, ever-changing environment that was full of energy.
Cons
took the job knowing that it would not be a permanent position. healthcare was not an option.
Great academic environment
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 18, 2012
A typical date at work consisted of studying chemical reactions on surfaces and exploring catalytic effects of molecules and compounds on these surfaces. While doing research at this institution I Iearned valuable skills in dealing with Ultra High Vaccum systems and surface science techniques. Management help to broaden my horizons in the areas of research and development. My coworkers were ultimate team players and worked together to solve problems that occurred. The most challenging part of my job was repairing delicate and unique UHV equipment. The most enjoyable part of my job was discovering new solutions to problems.
Pros
flexiblity, great learing environment
Cons
wages
Stimulating and Fun Work Environment
Chemistry Stockroom Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJuly 13, 2012
A typical day on the job would require me making up solutions for upcoming labs, receiving new chemicals and equipment and adding them to inventory, distributing equipment and chemicals to faculty and students, and making sure the work areas are clean when not in use. The management was great. They were very flexible with your schedule and easy to work with. The co-workers were great as well. The hardest part of the job was multitasking but that was very manageable after being there for a short time. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new every day and working with such great people.
Outstanding Benefits, No Opportunity for Advancement
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 4, 2014
The Univeristy has an excellent culture; however, the politics make it extremely difficult to advance. There are RARELY any type of raises or any salary increases are extremely small and never occur. Most of the professors and administrators are a joy to work with. There is however always one person in the department who has been in the position for a very long time and who makes your life extremely difficult for no reason. Due to the politics, there is nothing anyone is willing to do about it.
benefits
Cons
no raises, bonuses, or any additional monetary compensation. and no opportunity for advancement.
Steady place to be while doing my college classes
Office Assistant-Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJuly 30, 2013
I worked 10 hours a week around my college classes. I was glad to be able to work at entry level in the respective positions I held because studying took precedent. Reception and food service tailored their schedule to my class schedule. It was a win-win situation for both of us. The hardest part of having these jobs was the reminder that they were not to last forever and that working in the real world would be inevitable. The most enjoyable part of my jobs at the University of Wisconsin was meeting people, new people and old, on a regular basis.
Pros
set schedule
Cons
having different positions every year
UWM is a good college to gain a good academic and work experiences.
Teaching assistant (Group Study Leader) (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 18, 2015
I am really pleased to have my Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering degree from University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.I have learned different kinds of skills and techniques in the field of engineering. I believe that I have acquired enough academic background, skills and technical abilities related to Designing, layout, schematic, Testing, Electronics, Power, Energy. In addition, I have further developed my problem solving and analytic skills. University of Wisconsin Milwaukee (UWM) is a good college to gain a good academic and work experiences.
Fun and Challenging Place to work
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 16, 2012
A typical day in the Provost's Office would consist of scheduling appointments, answering questions from various campus offices, and other duties as assigned.
What I learned in the Provost Office is enhancing my skill to multitask, I learned how to handle crisis situations in a calm manner, and I also learned how to keep an executive office of a business running smoothly.
I would say that the hardest part of the job was trying to balance the workload and school.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting along so well with my co-workers and my supervisor.
Good place to work as a student employee despite the occasional chaos
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 10, 2015
Working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Dining Division of Housing gave me an opportunity to gain supervisor and management experience while I was still a student.

The structure of Housing doesn't allow for necessary changes to be implemented in a timely manner. As a supervisor I was met with several road blocks when I would try to suggest more efficient ways to do things.

Some co-workers just didn't know how to work hard and that was rather frustrating.
Pros
Above average pay for most college jobs
Cons
Some days it was just complete chaos
Why I love my job.
Research Specialist, Transportation and Logistics (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIApril 13, 2013
I love my job at UW-Superior because it brings new challenges every day. The only sad part is that my contract runs out at the end of June and there may not be money for me to stay. Although there would be no advancing in my position, I absolutely love what I do and the people I work with. Once I am gone my poor co-worker is going to be swamped not only with her stuff but mine as well. Hopefully the school will see that they NEED a second permanent position in that office.
Pros
challenges, people i work with, fun, students, much more!
Cons
my contract is up soon and no advancement.
Large organization with multiple departments and divisions
Medical Program Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 20, 2013
A typical day of work for me would include answering phone calls from patients and vendors related to the physicians speciality. I take messages and email or text page physicians with urgent messages and direct other calls to the appropriate area for scheduling or nursing needs. Manage physicians calendars, type correspondence, sort mail and assist physicians and co-workers with departmental needs.
Pros
well respected organization
Cons
large and employees lost in human resource transitions with the state.

4.4