University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews in United States

Have to do more with less
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 11, 2016
No raises in sight, awesome benefits. Some opportunities for advancement. Poor employee morale. Some favoritism. The students are great.
Benefits
Cons
pay, morale
Productive place to work
Prep/Counter Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work included working at the sandwich counter, prepping foods, and washing dishes. Through this job I learned how to quickly get food to my customers and have a conversation with them as I was prepping it. The managers were easy to talk to and willing to help in any way that they could. My co-workers were fun to be around and hard-working, also willing to help in any way that they could. The hardest part of the job was food logs, prepping the right amount of food and measuring temperatures while making food for the customers in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with my co-workers and regular customers.
State reduction of higher education funding is difficult
Director of Academic Advising and Career Services (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 30, 2016
Great people work at UWL, however, with the ongoing reduction of funding for this institution (and other UW institutions), they are reducing staffing, programs, and the support of students will diminish.
Collaborative and engaging workplace
University Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 25, 2016
Most coworkers are very friendly and helpful and great to work with. The job duties are challenging but enjoyable. I've learned a great deal about academic administration, basic financial and business duties, and the inner workings of university functions.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere/coworkers, great benefits
Cons
Difficult job advancement, sometimes inconsistent workflow
Student-Athlete
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 11, 2016
Being a college student-athlete has been the most challenging obstacles I have ever experience. Being an athlete in the college level on athletic scholarship is a privilege but at the same time it causes conflicts to my academic study sessions. This does not stop me, however, to reach my career goal to be a physical therapist. It taught me that privileges require sacrifices and this is what I believe will help me reach to my life goals with hard work and dedication.
Fun people and atmosphere
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Large Animal Teaching HospitalMarch 30, 2016
The scheduling is sometimes messy, but pretty good for how variable the work-load is. It pays poorly for how much work it is, but is a very desirable position. The potential for advancement is pretty high, as the more experience one gains, the more jobs become available (to a certain point).
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Can be very long hours at times
Great College Job
Student Machine Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 30, 2016
Working in the student shop provided great learning opportunities, was flexible with school schedule, and provided great relationships between coworkers and students.
Pros
Flexibility, knowledge gain
Cons
Relatively thankless nature of the students that use the shop
Friendly staff and management, good opportunity for management rolls for students
Help Desk Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2016
Take a job at the DoIT Help Desk as a student and rise through the ranks early on. You get raises for learning new skills and advancing in position and you can make a positive impact on the campus while managing flexible hours
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Service job
Fun place to work with a great energetic atmosphere
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 1, 2016
The gym is always a fun place to be because everyone is ready to work on themselves. My responsibilities each day at this job were greeting customers, checking in students, organizing and cleaning machine equipment, instructing student “how to” life in the proper
format to help prevent injuries. I helped improve office efficiency and customer service by engaging with customers to make them want to come back and workout at your gym every day.
Pros
Great work enviornment, close to my house.
Cons
No breaks, little hours available
Rewarding and challenging
Network Administrator/Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 26, 2016
Working at the UW has given me the opportunity to work with a diverse user base and a broad range of hardware and software products. I've had many training opportunities which have allowed me to expand my IT knowledge.

A typical day is never typical. Always something new.

My co-workers have been extraordinary in that they come from all walks of life.

The hardest part of the job is knowing what to work on next in a one-man shop.

Working with college students is very rewarding and most enjoyable.
Pros
freedom to choose projects
Bright Future
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 25, 2016
There are many wonderful people to work with here and are generally very flexible. My co-workers were very encouraging and pleasant to work with.
Cons
Difficult lower level managment
First job
CONSULTANT, HR AND PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 9, 2015
An average play to work with cold winters and hot summers. It is alright but not the best place to work. Overall, an average exeperience.
Good place for a clinical
LaCrosse Student Health Services (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 21, 2015
I had good supervision and an appropriately diverse case load at this location. The patient's are primarily students with orthopedic concerns.
Lunch breaks were the best
French Internship (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIOctober 19, 2015
In a typical day at work consisted of mowing, weed whacking, planting, and mulching.

I learned how to plant properly, some landscaping skills like mulching, and I learned how to drive a stick.

My co-workers were great they were students at the University.

I would say the hardest thing was mowing the the slanted hills on campus during those summer hot days.

The most enjoyable part was during lunch time we played some football and frisbee.
Academic Coach
Academic Coach CeO (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 30, 2015
I loved teaching what I know best: Spanish. My former boss is a great person and loves to there for students no matter what.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Studying
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WISeptember 28, 2015
I go to school at UW-Marinette everyday. They are very helpful with planning classes and helping you choose your career.
Pros
Classes; Tuition
Working with dedicated athletes
HEAD DIVING COACH (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WISeptember 22, 2015
There is nothing as wonderful as listening to the sounds in an Aquatic Center. Listening to the swimmers work out and seeing the divers perform daily
Pros
Coaching the divers
Cons
Eating at McDonald's on a road trip
Quite and Productive
Graduate Assistant - Accounting (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 16, 2015
Learned different accounting concepts. Learned how to teach students. Performing research on different concepts about Internal Audit was the major part of my job. Apart from that the coworkers were friendly.
Pros
Since related to my major, Doing research helped me learn more.
Awesome place to work
IT Director - Infrastructure and Operations (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 14, 2015
In my 22 years of IT professional work mostly in private sectors. UW is probably one of the top 1% work places I have had the pleasure of working. dealing with educated and professional people all the time and believe it or not it makes a lot of difference in one's attitude.
Pros
Cons
Cold Winters
Talk about PET research
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 10, 2015
In the Department of Medical Physics alone we have two PET for humans and two microPET. The department developed or built their own cyclotron. We have the one of the biggest primate center in the nation.

4.4