University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews in United States

Productive place for education
Student worker Dishroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 30, 2015
I graduated and felt ready for the world. The world isn't always ready for the graduate. Just because it was founded by women doesn't make it a pre-women dominated it is big and growing it isn't a fun and games school it will take hard work, and on top of hard work, hard learning and preparations to graduate here.
Pros
A lady foundation now a Large University for men as well.
Cons
Needs to more activity in the world not only society but community.
First job
CONSULTANT, HR AND PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 9, 2015
An average play to work with cold winters and hot summers. It is alright but not the best place to work. Overall, an average exeperience.
Positive enivronment as everyone's focus is serving students
Program Assistant-Confidential (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIJuly 16, 2015
Great collaborative environment and supportive management. I work in administration and am proud of the administrators. I love the community feel throughout the entire campus. The governor has cut so much from the education budget and that has created a lot of damage, including me losing my job.
Pros
Good benefits, close to home, great environment.
Cons
No raise in the six years I have worked here.
Good place to work as a student employee despite the occasional chaos
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 10, 2015
Working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Dining Division of Housing gave me an opportunity to gain supervisor and management experience while I was still a student.

The structure of Housing doesn't allow for necessary changes to be implemented in a timely manner. As a supervisor I was met with several road blocks when I would try to suggest more efficient ways to do things.

Some co-workers just didn't know how to work hard and that was rather frustrating.
Pros
Above average pay for most college jobs
Cons
Some days it was just complete chaos
One of the best Universities in the world - with the most amazing students you will ever meet.
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 7, 2015
The University of Wisconsin is an amazing place to work. The students on campus bring their energy and spirit to campus everyday and make working their a joy. UW is a big school but it can feel very personal and you can meet and get to know so many other professionals.
Pros
Working on a big 10 campus with world class students and faculty.
Cons
Budget issues are a constant and raises and promotion can be difficult.
Working with dedicated athletes
HEAD DIVING COACH (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WISeptember 22, 2015
There is nothing as wonderful as listening to the sounds in an Aquatic Center. Listening to the swimmers work out and seeing the divers perform daily
Pros
Coaching the divers
Cons
Eating at McDonald's on a road trip
Good place for a clinical
LaCrosse Student Health Services (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 21, 2015
I had good supervision and an appropriately diverse case load at this location. The patient's are primarily students with orthopedic concerns.
Talk about PET research
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 10, 2015
In the Department of Medical Physics alone we have two PET for humans and two microPET. The department developed or built their own cyclotron. We have the one of the biggest primate center in the nation.
Academic proficiencies
Geosciences Graduate Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2015
The State of Wisconsin throughout the state wide system has a very supportive system. The administrative culture is professional and amicable. The hardest part of the Job was requiring students and coworkers to maintain integrity at all aspects of comportment on or off campus. Interestingly this was also my favorite part of the job since afore mentioned challenge came with a higher degree of social discourse.
Pros
Corporate culture
Cons
personal leadership
No where to go
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIAugust 22, 2015
WI does not value education. Seek your advancement elsewhere. Claim to be student focused but are not. Not very diverse. Students will complain if you have an accent.
Pros
Coworkers are great.
Cons
LOTS of work to do. No support. Pay is a joke
Academic Coach
Academic Coach CeO (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 30, 2015
I loved teaching what I know best: Spanish. My former boss is a great person and loves to there for students no matter what.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Managment does not treat employees well
FRONT OFFICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2015
I worked at our schools Marketing department for almost a year and a half and felt that no one was treated fairly. Our boss played favorites and if you were not one of them you could expect to need to be doing all the grunt work. They overhired and then needed to compensate for that error by firing people over insuffiecnt reasons.
Great working environment, with great support from supervisor.
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 14, 2015
A typical day at work was doing outreach for middle school to high school sports.

I learned a lot about the typical injuries related to hockey.

The supervisor of the graduate assistant program was great!

My co-workers were great people to work with.

The hardest part of the job was juggling school with work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with then student athletes and getting them back to playing their sport.
Great co-workers, state tie-in toxic
Specialist Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 30, 2015
The people who work at UW-Madison are absolutely top-notch. The management I had daily contact with in my position were friendly, super-helpful, concerned about us individually. They "get" that most of us have real lives to go home to, and my co-workers and managers bent over backwards several times as I dealt with a couple of serious family illnesses and other situations. Cannot recommend the day-to-day atmosphere too highly.

In the same vein, I can't stress enough how toxic the UW System's relationship is with the current Wisconsin legislature. While my particular position was entirely stable due to not being tied to the state budget, there was a lot of angst around me for my entire six years here, and my (already meager by coder standards) take-home pay went down by about 12% during my time here, and that downward slide doesn't look like letting up.
Pros
Great co-workers, fascinating work, blue-ribbon health coverage
Cons
Low pay, instability on a system level
A very kind and thoughtful culture
Administrative Program Manager II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2015
The variety is nice, and I wish it was more. I also wish there was more room for advancement. Plus with all the budget cuts....

I like my job, but don't love it.
Pros
Good hours and people
Cons
More change would be nice
UWM is a good college to gain a good academic and work experiences.
Teaching assistant (Group Study Leader) (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 18, 2015
I am really pleased to have my Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering degree from University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.I have learned different kinds of skills and techniques in the field of engineering. I believe that I have acquired enough academic background, skills and technical abilities related to Designing, layout, schematic, Testing, Electronics, Power, Energy. In addition, I have further developed my problem solving and analytic skills. University of Wisconsin Milwaukee (UWM) is a good college to gain a good academic and work experiences.
A nice place to work on challenging projects
Assistant Scientist (Current Employee) –  Madison WIAugust 18, 2015
A lot of challenging projects
Learn a lot of research experience
Nice working surroundings, easy to make friends
Not very close to people's daily life
Studying
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WISeptember 28, 2015
I go to school at UW-Marinette everyday. They are very helpful with planning classes and helping you choose your career.
Pros
Classes; Tuition
Cons
I,m a hard working person
Custodial (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 17, 2015
A day of work is cleaning a whole apartment unity , i learn to be a professional cleaning person,management are good ,co-workers are good, the hardest part of my job is in winter time because we shoveling snow outside for like 3 or 4 hours, and the most enjoyable part of my job is the benefit , the benefit are really goods , they pay me vacations days, holidays, personal holidays and sick times.
Pros
we have a 2 break times
Cons
supervisors are not good
Poorly managed undergraduate program
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 20, 2015
Worst place for a professional to work. Very unprofessional leaders in this workplace. Faculty lacks up to date nursing experiences. Most teacher degrade students instead of helping them. This is definitely the place where those who cannot "do","teach" and worse those who cannot manage , direct

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3