University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

It is a good start out.
TV Technician (Former Employee) –  UWW TVAugust 23, 2016
Working for UWW - TV is something I would never take back working there. However, it does it somewhat personal toward stressful times and words are said that cannot take back. However, the experience is a nice touch to a resume and the friends you make in the workplace are amazing.
Pros
no dress code
Cons
Boss has attitude when stressed
Positive enivronment as everyone's focus is serving students
Program Assistant-Confidential (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIJuly 16, 2015
Great collaborative environment and supportive management. I work in administration and am proud of the administrators. I love the community feel throughout the entire campus. The governor has cut so much from the education budget and that has created a lot of damage, including me losing my job.
Pros
Good benefits, close to home, great environment.
Cons
No raise in the six years I have worked here.
Offers great flexibility to students, good work environment, minimum wage
Diversity Networking Program - Outreach Intern (Current Employee) –  Whitewater, WINovember 22, 2014
I enjoy working as an intern in Career and Leadership Development. We receive a fixed salary for the whole semester and depending of the work flow, some weeks interns work less than the minimum 13 per week, and other times it is the opposite. Every team has weekly staff meetings to review individual progresses. There is a monthly intern session which serves as a team building exercise. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be part of a department that offers tools and opportunities for students to develop professional skills and connect with potential employers.
Pros
Activities and events, work environment
Cons
Minimum wage, little room for advancement
fun workplace and friendly managers
Library Assistant Circulator (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 19, 2016
As a library assistant circulator, the main target was to help UWL community to check out books and materials, and also helped students to solve all the problems they have about finding books, Make sure to provide any help to the customers in the library.
Outstanding Benefits, No Opportunity for Advancement
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 4, 2014
The Univeristy has an excellent culture; however, the politics make it extremely difficult to advance. There are RARELY any type of raises or any salary increases are extremely small and never occur. Most of the professors and administrators are a joy to work with. There is however always one person in the department who has been in the position for a very long time and who makes your life extremely difficult for no reason. Due to the politics, there is nothing anyone is willing to do about it.
Benefits
Cons
No raises, bonuses, or any additional monetary compensation. And no opportunity for advancement.
Fast paced work environment
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Superior, WINovember 18, 2016
UWS is a good place to work, fast paced especially when there is events going on, the job is easy and laid back and very low stress.
One of the best Universities in the world - with the most amazing students you will ever meet.
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 7, 2015
The University of Wisconsin is an amazing place to work. The students on campus bring their energy and spirit to campus everyday and make working their a joy. UW is a big school but it can feel very personal and you can meet and get to know so many other professionals.
Pros
Working on a big 10 campus with world class students and faculty.
Cons
Budget issues are a constant and raises and promotion can be difficult.
Productive place to work
Prep/Counter Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work included working at the sandwich counter, prepping foods, and washing dishes. Through this job I learned how to quickly get food to my customers and have a conversation with them as I was prepping it. The managers were easy to talk to and willing to help in any way that they could. My co-workers were fun to be around and hard-working, also willing to help in any way that they could. The hardest part of the job was food logs, prepping the right amount of food and measuring temperatures while making food for the customers in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with my co-workers and regular customers.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 6, 2016
UWM took huge budget cuts which lost me my teaching job. Many of use lost our job. The morale is low and management is unconcerned about the high stress level resulting from budget cut. I found it hard to work there because the new supervisor who came in was not well-equipped to do his/her job.
Student-Athlete
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 11, 2016
Being a college student-athlete has been the most challenging obstacles I have ever experience. Being an athlete in the college level on athletic scholarship is a privilege but at the same time it causes conflicts to my academic study sessions. This does not stop me, however, to reach my career goal to be a physical therapist. It taught me that privileges require sacrifices and this is what I believe will help me reach to my life goals with hard work and dedication.
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Somers, WIJune 6, 2016
I was hired because Parkside's math department imploded due to draconian cuts to the entire UW System. There are a lot of individuals at Parkside who are truly dedicated to lifting students up and teaching them to succeed. The uncertain environment and antagonistic leadership makes it hard for them to coordinate their actions or plan for the future.
Pros
Passionate Teachers, Hardscrabble Students
Cons
Uncertainty about the future
Productive Work shop machinery
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 6, 2016
It was good working as a research assistant for a couple of months during the year of 2014. The typical day work flow was pretty much busy because all people I work with were Phd students that time, where also they were my supervisors. I learned a lot in working with many kind of samples and enter the data, compare it with old researches. The hardest part was when polishing the metal sample and make them look like crystalline or mirror.
An Ivory Tower
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 22, 2016
but what an Ivory Tower? Would have loved to have stayed there longer - if only I had not graduated with a Masters Degree in Industrial Engineering, specializing in Operations Research.
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
you need to be a registerd student
Excellent
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 29, 2016
Excellent work environment, work flexibility, career advancement opportunity, cooperative and helping environment
Teachers aid
Graduate Associate Instructional Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 25, 2014
• Learned time management of the classroom well at the same time remaining flexible.
• Able to communicate information clearly and concisely to my students
• Was able to control and coordinate groups of individuals
Pros
Full tuition remission
Cons
Poor benefits
Fun place to work with a great energetic atmosphere
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 1, 2016
The gym is always a fun place to be because everyone is ready to work on themselves. My responsibilities each day at this job were greeting customers, checking in students, organizing and cleaning machine equipment, instructing student “how to” life in the proper
format to help prevent injuries. I helped improve office efficiency and customer service by engaging with customers to make them want to come back and workout at your gym every day.
Pros
Great work enviornment, close to my house.
Cons
No breaks, little hours available
great loved ever day
Chef (Former Employee) –  athleticsJuly 9, 2015
great place never should of left great people good eats great time during games and meet lots of people. players and more.
Pros
great benefits great place to work
Cons
nothing
Former employee
Lecturer/Head Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMarch 6, 2015
Great city and university for families! Difficult to advance and no raises available making it tough considering all of the time spent.
Pros
Great city
Cons
Low salary
typical university
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 8, 2012
it is very much depends what kind of work are you doing there
if you are post-doc it is pretty much a dead end job
Pros
salary
Cons
questionable career perspectives
State reduction of higher education funding is difficult
Director of Academic Advising and Career Services (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 30, 2016
Great people work at UWL, however, with the ongoing reduction of funding for this institution (and other UW institutions), they are reducing staffing, programs, and the support of students will diminish.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3