University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews in United States

I miss it.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  wisconsinMarch 30, 2015
I think about this job often because I learned most of my skills here. The doctors were great and give me a lot of insight.I learned how to adapt emergence situations anything from drawing up medication stat and heart attacks
fun workplace
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 14, 2015
Enjoyed the work experience. Learning to use the different machines was fun and became useful in the future. I got a chance to meet many different people. I enjoyed the comments from the professors in my building from an assignment well done.
Fun atmosphere, can be fast paced
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 1, 2015
Banquet set up is an awesome job. You get to display some creativity as well as witness some. And be apart of some historical events. Pay is well deserved and they feed you breakfast and dinner.
Great job while in school
Whitewater Project Assist (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIMarch 22, 2015
Help students with disabilities understand their homework better and help develop study skills. It is important to time mange and give yourself extra time during a session if need be.
Outstanding Benefits, No Opportunity for Advancement
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 4, 2014
The Univeristy has an excellent culture; however, the politics make it extremely difficult to advance. There are RARELY any type of raises or any salary increases are extremely small and never occur. Most of the professors and administrators are a joy to work with. There is however always one person in the department who has been in the position for a very long time and who makes your life extremely difficult for no reason. Due to the politics, there is nothing anyone is willing to do about it.
benefits
Cons
no raises, bonuses, or any additional monetary compensation. and no opportunity for advancement.
Flexible environment focused on Clinical trails with learning opportunities.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 11, 2014
Daily management of workflow of ophthalmic digital images and clinical projects with academia and pharmaceutical companies.

Good support across work groups to successfully complete projects.

This position has provide learning opportunities with international travel, leadership and project management courses.

This Center does not keep up with current technology as quickly as it needs to in order to remain competitive in the market.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not celebrating success of projects.
UWM, A paradise to learn and teach
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 7, 2014
As a responsible position, TA s should have a deep knowledge in their subject. Many topics I learned when I was student becomes more clear when we prepare for teaching. This preparation helps us understand the subject more close. Leading the students to a particular with a particular motive and focus will create a leadership quality in TA s. The hard work of a TA along with the full support from the Professor make our job more satisfactory and enjoyable.
Allergic Eye Disease
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 5, 2014
-Allergic Ocular Inflammation, focusing on mast cell and epithelial cell biology
-Interactions of the conjunctival epithelium with microbial cell wall components and how these interactions influence barrier function, epithelial cell activation, and epithelial cell response to allergic mediators.
-The role of eosinophils in airway inflammation and remodeling
Responsibilities include:
-Grant preparation, submission and management
-Laboratory administration
-Ensuring compliance with UW, sponsor and agencies guidelines -Design and conduct research studies
-Manuscript preparation and submission
-Preparation and presentation of research results at regional and international conferences.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WisconsinJanuary 22, 2015
The program at the University of Wisconsin is amazing and I learned so much working with those coaches and athletes. I worked with athletes and formed the strength and conditioning program with Head Coach Evan Simon. Evan now works for the University of Oregon State.
Encouraged growth, diverse and active place to work. Family oriented and job serious.
Program Assistant 3 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 23, 2013
Really had to multi-task. Working with so many people taught me to perform well under stress, taught me conflict resolution skills, the importance of organization. I met people from all around the world and was honored to learn about their cultures.
Also, working in an academic environment gave me the advantage of education by association (many conversations and debates).
Pros
it's a college campus... need i say more!
Cons
if public transportation is not used, parking is challenging and expensive.
Steady place to be while doing my college classes
Office Assistant-Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJuly 30, 2013
I worked 10 hours a week around my college classes. I was glad to be able to work at entry level in the respective positions I held because studying took precedent. Reception and food service tailored their schedule to my class schedule. It was a win-win situation for both of us. The hardest part of having these jobs was the reminder that they were not to last forever and that working in the real world would be inevitable. The most enjoyable part of my jobs at the University of Wisconsin was meeting people, new people and old, on a regular basis.
Pros
set schedule
Cons
having different positions every year
Awesome atmosphere and a great staff to work with
Employee Wellness Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIApril 12, 2012
I'm a graduate assistant trying to achieve a bronze level well workplace award through WELCOA. I meet with many faculty and staff from the university as well as students. I am raising awareness of the employee wellness program through social media and promotions. My wellness team is great and all have great ideas! The hardest part is, of course, staying up with all of my graduate studies while working on the well workplace award.
Stimulating and Fun Work Environment
Chemistry Stockroom Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJuly 13, 2012
A typical day on the job would require me making up solutions for upcoming labs, receiving new chemicals and equipment and adding them to inventory, distributing equipment and chemicals to faculty and students, and making sure the work areas are clean when not in use. The management was great. They were very flexible with your schedule and easy to work with. The co-workers were great as well. The hardest part of the job was multitasking but that was very manageable after being there for a short time. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new every day and working with such great people.
Fun and Challenging Place to work
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 16, 2012
A typical day in the Provost's Office would consist of scheduling appointments, answering questions from various campus offices, and other duties as assigned.
What I learned in the Provost Office is enhancing my skill to multitask, I learned how to handle crisis situations in a calm manner, and I also learned how to keep an executive office of a business running smoothly.
I would say that the hardest part of the job was trying to balance the workload and school.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting along so well with my co-workers and my supervisor.
Great creative work atmosphere.
Graphic Designer/ Part-time (Current Employee) –  River Falls, WISeptember 14, 2012
The graphic design work at the university is creative and varied. It is wonderful for personal growth - a continuous learning environment. Co-workers are cooperative and encouraging. Many projects require the input of all departmental personnel -- marketing, writing, photography and graphic design.
Pros
being at an higher institution of learning lends to a general upbeat and optimistic view.
Cons
job security is linked more to political whims than personal performance.
Great Place to Work While Getting an Advanced Degree
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 4, 2012
I worked as a Teaching Assistant while getting my Masters Degree in Engineering, emphasis being on Materials. Very flexible hours, and helped developed me into a complete candidate for an advanced position.

Hardest thing to deal with is constant change going on. People are rotating in and out every semester. New students in lab, new classes, and new teaching assistants makes the situation always changing.
Large organization with multiple departments and divisions
Medical Program Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 20, 2013
A typical day of work for me would include answering phone calls from patients and vendors related to the physicians speciality. I take messages and email or text page physicians with urgent messages and direct other calls to the appropriate area for scheduling or nursing needs. Manage physicians calendars, type correspondence, sort mail and assist physicians and co-workers with departmental needs.
Pros
well respected organization
Cons
large and employees lost in human resource transitions with the state.
Why I love my job.
Research Specialist, Transportation and Logistics (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIApril 13, 2013
I love my job at UW-Superior because it brings new challenges every day. The only sad part is that my contract runs out at the end of June and there may not be money for me to stay. Although there would be no advancing in my position, I absolutely love what I do and the people I work with. Once I am gone my poor co-worker is going to be swamped not only with her stuff but mine as well. Hopefully the school will see that they NEED a second permanent position in that office.
Pros
challenges, people i work with, fun, students, much more!
Cons
my contract is up soon and no advancement.
Great academic environment
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 18, 2012
A typical date at work consisted of studying chemical reactions on surfaces and exploring catalytic effects of molecules and compounds on these surfaces. While doing research at this institution I Iearned valuable skills in dealing with Ultra High Vaccum systems and surface science techniques. Management help to broaden my horizons in the areas of research and development. My coworkers were ultimate team players and worked together to solve problems that occurred. The most challenging part of my job was repairing delicate and unique UHV equipment. The most enjoyable part of my job was discovering new solutions to problems.
Pros
flexiblity, great learing environment
Cons
wages
Fun place to work with friends and school faculty
Athletic Worker (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIJanuary 30, 2014
Recorded live stats for men's and women's basketball, hockey, and volleyball. Most hockey games I worked promotions and interacted with fans. My co-workers were great because most of them were friends. The most enjoyable part of working here was watching sports and getting paid for in and working with friends.
Pros
free food
Cons
time of work due to most events being weekends or evenings

4.3