University of Wisconsin

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names.
Your review may be publicly displayed by Indeed
Allergic Eye Disease
Senior Scientist (Current Employee), Madison, WIFebruary 5, 2014
-Allergic Ocular Inflammation, focusing on mast cell and epithelial cell biology
-Interactions of the conjunctival epithelium with microbial cell wall components and how these interactions influence barrier function, epithelial cell activation, and epithelial cell response to allergic mediators.
-The role of eosinophils in airway inflammation and remodeling
Responsibilities include:
-Grant preparation, submission and management
-Laboratory administration
-Ensuring compliance with UW, sponsor and agencies guidelines -Design and conduct research studies
-Manuscript preparation and submission
-Preparation and presentation of research results at regional and international conferences.
Fun place to work with friends and school faculty
Athletic Worker (Current Employee), Superior, WIJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: free food
Cons: time of work due to most events being weekends or evenings
Recorded live stats for men's and women's basketball, hockey, and volleyball. Most hockey games I worked promotions and interacted with fans. My co-workers were great because most of them were friends. The most enjoyable part of working here was watching sports and getting paid for in and working with friends.
Best job I have ever had.
Animal Research Technician- Level II (Former Employee), Madison, WIJanuary 21, 2014
I can say, whole heartily, that this was the best job I have ever had. My supervisor was supportive and treated us with respect. We were under his management but free to get our work done because he knew we would and could. I would never have left if I didn't have to move out of state.
I like it
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Madison, WIJanuary 21, 2014
I really like it. working here, teaching students and learning from the great faculty and staff here is the most rewarding experience.
social environment, great work/life balance
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Madison, WIJanuary 7, 2014
great way for students to be employed while also focusing on their studies. Not very time consuming in terms of scheduled work hours. Great management that truly enjoys their job and staff.
Great, fun, and diverse work place
Custodial Worker (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: fun work, meeting new and diverse people, and it doesn't get boring.
Cons: the pay wage is too low for full and part-time workers and only if your student you can work there.
I really love working at UWM as a student union custodian. I have been working there going on 4 years now. I know just about anything when it comes to be a working custodian and also a hard worker as well. I pretty much just clean floors, table tops, sweep and mop, clean kitchen and bathrooms, and pull trash. I know all the cleaning materials that we use and I gained some experience of project work, for example stripping and waxing floors and auto-scrubbing and polishing floors too. There are only 2 reasons why I do not like working there, 1) the payment, when I first started working there in 2010 my wage was $7.50 and now 2014 and my wage now is $8.53. 2) There are two kinds of employment at UWM and that's a full-time employee and a student part-time employee which is the one I am. Since I am a student worker I can only have my job if I am enrolled in school which I currently am but if I'm not I would not be employed there. I tried to go for full-time employment but they are booked. Overall I really love working at UWM because its very diverse environment and you will meet new people and see different events there all the time and there isn't really a dull moment there. I am a very hard working man who is looking for a new job for new experiences and also a new wage because I know after being employed for 5 hard years I deserve a better wage thank you Indeed.com.
Able to work without supervision, enjoy customer relations.
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee), Madison, WINovember 25, 2013
Pros: working with energetic people
Cons: people that are afraid to learn
learned A lot about business, and working with other's, also how to train employee's, and make the day more enjoyable with customer's, also how to be prepared to excel when the day is busy, or to have to problem solve, and how to learn and receive idea's from other's.
Counseling Staff is awesome
Transfer Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Madison, WINovember 16, 2013
The other Admissions Counselors on the staff are incredibly supportive and encouraging. Transfer counselors review applications and evaluate transfer credit for all students.
Fun workplace
Concessions Counter Server (Former Employee), WINovember 15, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: not enough hours
a typical day was making popcorn and giving out tickets. making sure that everyone was happy with whatever they needed
A good place for families
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee), Madison, WINovember 14, 2013
A good place for families, and my daughters really like here.
Very productive work environment
Department Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, WINovember 11, 2013
I loved the location, the environment, and I learned so much about the university. Everyone there was very supportive. Even though I was there for a short time, I was able to quickly learn how to successfully complete any assignment given, and answer a lot of questions coming from the students or the visitors.
Good part-time job with enough time to keep up with studies.
Campus Tutor (Former Employee), Platteville, WIOctober 7, 2013
It is a great way to interact with others and it allows me to review concepts I may have dealt with in the past. This helps me to remember them for the future.
Encouraged growth, diverse and active place to work. Family oriented and job serious.
Program Assistant 3 (Former Employee), Madison, WISeptember 23, 2013
Pros: it's a college campus... need i say more!
Cons: if public transportation is not used, parking is challenging and expensive.
Really had to multi-task. Working with so many people taught me to perform well under stress, taught me conflict resolution skills, the importance of organization. I met people from all around the world and was honored to learn about their cultures.
Also, working in an academic environment gave me the advantage of education by association (many conversations and debates).
Professional place
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, WISeptember 17, 2013
What I learned:
- Handling data systems, paper forms,...
- Communicating with other students and faculty staff
Great Place to work
Program Assistant / Confidential (Current Employee), Oshkosh, WISeptember 12, 2013
I enjoy all the people and my tasks. My job is confidential so I can't tell you too much. I do a lot of purchasing and budgeting. I have many different projects asked of me. I enjoy a good challenge and I give all my jobs 100%.
Good
Project Manager (Former Employee), Menomonie, WISeptember 5, 2013
A typical day at work was working with amazing people and experiencing new things,
Great work atmosphere, great people.
Senior Information Systems Consultant (Former Employee), Whitewater, WIAugust 29, 2013
Great work environment allows you to really know people and work with them. Very open and friendly.
Research on my ethanol production process.
Undergraduate Researcher under Professor (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 26, 2013
Most enjoyable experience doing independent research on an idea self developed.
Good Place to work for when you are not ambitious enough to move on.
IT Technical Services Specialist (Current Employee), Madison, WIAugust 23, 2013
It's pretty hard to get involved in other projects, but the work live and the coworkers let you forget about it. No stress.