University of the District of Columbia

University of the District of Columbia Employee Reviews in United States

Work Environment
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 2, 2016
Working at the University of the District of Columbia was a uplifting and learning experience. My co-workers were very helpful and team oriented. Management was also great, very helpful, understanding.
Pros
Development and Learning Environment
Cons
No Cons
Very Productive
PROGRAM CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2016
My supervisor was excellent. The training I received working here was worth it. I will come back in a minute. Management was awesome and really were hands on with training and making sure that each of their employees were set up for success.
was in student government
TREASURER, USGA (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2016
It was a real learning experience. I learned a lot about the good, bad, ugly of the workings of the campus. There are a lot of things I would like to change if I could.
Workplace of much Cultural Diversity
Assistant Director - Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work for me was fairly fast-paced during the peak seasons (January and August) and steady during the non peak seasons in the Enrollment Services unit.

As an employee, I learned to become diverse in handling each customer. As everyone is different, my role required me to be versatile from individual to individual.

Management is very data-informed and data-driven, which required the Unit to follow suit and operate most efficient and effectively.

The hardest part about the job was the lack of cohesiveness and interconnectedness across departments. However, this is getting better--as opposed to departments working in silos.

The most enjoyable part about the job was establishing professional working-relationships with colleagues (mostly) within the unit, external influencers, current students and prospective students.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Cultural Diversity, Location: Red Metro Line
Cons
Less than par perception
Productive workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2016
Computer lab is very big and good, five days a week, you can learn many things if you want, the hardest thing is little bit far from Virginia.
Productive work for the people of DC
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WAMarch 5, 2016
Oversee day-to-day operation of the OATIT unit, including but not limited to management of instructors, support staff, student registration/issues, staff time and attendance, as well as establish clear administrative rules and regulations under the guidelines of the university
Udc
Department of Biology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2016
This was a terrific learning environment for a work study. The schedule was flexible and the manager is well organized as well as skillful.
Pros
educational
Cons
low pay
dedicated staff, good faculty, high executive turn-over, strained resources
Assistant to the Dean (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2015
Good public university with several highly sought-after academic programs in several colleges. Administrative turn-over and limited resources contribute to strained working conditions. This university is re-emerging as strong, vibrant academic center in Washington, DC. The most rewarding part of my work is helping students.
Pros
close to public transportation, grocery stores, affordable parking.
Cons
high turnover in administration, limited resources
productive workplace
Senior Design (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2015
intuitive and productive workplace with a positive employee atmosphere. It is a excellent place for hands on work experience in varied interdisciplinary fields
Productive, Great for the community, and a wholesome culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2015
A wonderful place to work no two days are alike but never overbearing.Co-workers are caring and respectful overall a great place to work.
Working in the finance office is very demanding and hectic but supporting the goal and missions of higher education is very rewarding.
Office of the Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2015
Most of my days are spent supporting financial operations in Banner Finance - ERP for a medium-size finance staff and 200+ users university-wide.

I've obtained extensive operational knowledge of the Banner Finance application over the last several . Specific areas of management and support include information security for user-access, system administration, troubleshooting and testing, and training and administration.

My tenure lasted for over fifteen-years in a culturally diverse working environment. During this time, we as a finance team overcame many obstacles under some harsh circumstances but I was fortunate to have worked with so many bright and interesting people.

By far the hardest part of the job was dealing with the politics associated with being an independent CFO employee while also being a University employee; and the best part of the job was the end result and knowing that no matter the obstacle, that the finance team would always get it done.
Pros
Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
Cons
Politics, location
productive and fun
Student Adjudicate (Former Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 26, 2015
University of the District of Columbia great place to work good staff and faculty their so inspiring ,and encouraging students to live up to their potential and beyon
A Great Experience
Nutrition Educator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 14, 2015
working at the University of the District of Columbia was really fun.
Working as a nutrition educator was very beneficial to those studying in the field of nutrition and dietetics.
Great place to work with the community
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Washington, DC community since I was born in this city; I recognized the workers at the University's Community College - Workforce Development department as some of the hardest working group of individuals I've had the pleasure of working with.

Their Workforce Development section is rapidly growing to feed the community. Every community needs a Workforce Development section from their Community College.
Pros
The students
Cons
The pay was very low
research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WAMarch 2, 2015
This institution has too many administrative issues but as a student researcher it is a good gig and the professors provide great advice and genuinely care about your academic development and progress
Pros
outstanding mentorship
Cons
lack of professionalism
University in a staff/ personnel reduction status
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia, USAFebruary 13, 2015
The community college is a more apt match for the needs of the local population. Workforce and job training programs and courses are more appropriate to the public needs. My work day consisted of managing and coordinating in-service educational and literacy classes for city agency employees. The hardest part of the job had to do with keeping the students motivated after a days work. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the employees saw the classes as a link to success in their jobs as well as a motivation to plan for a better job.
Pros
i liked engaging and challenging the students to improve themselves.
Cons
i would like to continue this work, even though, i am retired.
Sergeant
Patrol Supervisor Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 1, 2014
Provide law enforcement, security, crime prevention and environmental health and emergency services on campus daily. Serves as watch commander on an assigned shift; oversees and participates in all work activities; assumes responsibility for assigned special programs, projects, or department-wide functions or activities; coordinates activities with other agencies; and performs a variety of administrative and technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
Pros
government employee with great benifits
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2014
Taught science, mathematics, engineering, and technology to 12th grade students enrolled in a pre-college
A great workplace
Deputy General Counsel (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2014
This is a wonderful environment and the Office of the General Counsel provides superb legal advice, guidance and representation.
Pros
management is excellent.
Great work as a Counselor/Coordinator.
Coordinator / Special Veterans Upward Bound (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.July 14, 2014
I worked with the students that was veterans in the Adult Education Programs. I assisted the veterans with help in the areas of housing,
education and in locating sccial services. I learned a lot about the
implementation of various goals and objectives for these veterans.
I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was searching for services for the veterans as needed. The most
enjoyable part was working with the veterans and helping to make
them successful.
Pros
complete satifaction from assisting those veterans with there needs.
Cons
the program was abolished by the university because of loss funding.

University of the District of Columbia Reviews by Location