University of the Sciences Employee Reviews

stressful work atmospher
Operations Supervisor/Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 3, 2017
My typical day at work is spending mostly between 2-4 hours checking and responding to incoming emails. I am very dedicate and passionate about my job and what I do. The hardest part of my job is trying to work with team members who have a different perspective which could be very stressful.
Pros
Many PTO days
Cons
Micromanagement
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 5, 2017
I was a volunteer at the Physical Therapy Department for a research project that was conducted. Everything was performed when I was a student. All staff and research equipment was readily available and easy to use.
No room for advancement
Maintenance Staff II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 31, 2017
The work environment is demanding with very little reward, and your job is was threatened at any time by temp workers. You couldn't enjoy what you di nor could you put any effort behind your effort. Feeling unappreciated and soon kicked to the unemployed sect of life is no fun on your mind.
Pros
Nice work environment, meet different people of all ethic backgrounds
Cons
No job safety working on pins and needles
Research as Student
Lead Non-Linear Data Acquisition Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 24, 2017
The math and physics department is small, but because of the small classes you really get to learn things on a level where it would be difficult to learn in a setting with a lot of students.
Pros
Very smart professors
Cons
Lacks any kind of applied experience
Busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  600 S 43rd St, Philadelphia, PA 19104August 3, 2017
Very fast-paced , Most enjoyable , Very friendly customers , Free food , Good food,Clean And neat place
Lots of people in my age range. very nice landscaping
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Not all year around, Off for the summer It
An institution that is well past its prime
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 20, 2017
A former thriving institution that has had senior leadership turnover for years. Great academic programs and wonderful faculty. Challenging academic environment for most students.
Pros
Cons
Leadership
Creative and fun workplace
Student Ambassador/Office Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2017
The admissions office at University of the Sciences provided me with the chance to tell my positive university experience to incoming students and their families. The work was fun and time manageable. The rest of the workers were very friendly. The staff always made the environment fun and light hearted, and had us come up with new ideas to promote the schools and recruit more workers.
Fast paced environment but you get to learn a lot
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 8, 2017
I enjoyed working as a Graduate Assistant. Working as a GA provided me with strong skill sets as well as a rewarding experience. The working environment was very welcoming and the everyone was easy to get along with.
Mediocre work environment with cloudy outlook
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 25, 2017
I have worked at the university for more than a decade, always hoping that the environment would change and get better. Compensation has stayed steady, health insurance has gone through the roof, and the only perk of the company is Friday's off during the summer.
The administration keeps touting their "transparency" but the university is nothing but. We've gone through more HR heads and presidents in the last 5 years than a normal university would go through in 15 years.
With the changing higher education climate I would be shocked if the university lasted. If they don't change, lower tuition, and treat their employees like they're valued, they will tank.
A place to grow and learn more each day
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 7, 2016
In my typical day I am managing multiple projects, undergraduate and graduate students and ordering lab supplies. I am working side by side with different people on projects. I collaborate with different fields and learn more each day. I really enjoy the aspect that I am always learning something new in my position.
Great science based university
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 8, 2016
University of the Sciences and particularly the Pharmaceutical Sciences department is a very good science- based workplace. There is great focus on research.
a modern university dedicated to healthcare training and research
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 1, 2016
A very specialized university focused on training the healthcare professionals of tomorrow. Heavily focused on pharmacy training and an excellent place to receive an education in healthcare and all its caveats.
fun place
General Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2016
for the time it was great. I found that I needed to find another job.24 years is great at one job. Have had 24 years working as a mechanic under hvac,plumbing,electrical,carpenters,ect...
Pros
worked with master mechanics
Cons
worked with some that weren't
Friendly faculty, if motivated as a student, need to reach out to advance your career
Pharmacokinetics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 3, 2015
Amazing faculty if you know what you're interested in doing. Everyone is very helpful however no one will come to you for anything. If you wish to advance your career, you need to do it yourself.
Its a great experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 4, 2015
Really great projects to work on
I have great experiences
The advisors are very helpful
Overall a great environment where I am learning a lot
Good experience, poor management
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 27, 2015
I worked as a teaching assistant during my Ph.D program at USciences. I would assist professors in hosting undergraduate laboratory seminars. This improved both my professional communication skills and my overall knowledge of the organic chemistry field. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharpening my chemistry knowledge and interacting with students, but there were significant problems with obtaining my payments.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Poor organization
very nice place to work
Patrol Officer assistant shift commander (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Very busy.
Proper handling of the public.
Professional.
Excellent to work with.
being on your feet for 5 or more hrs.
work place functions.
Pros
all paid holidays and vacation
Cons
Contract.
Close knit environment with very approachable peers
Graduate Student Instructor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2014
This private institution provides a close-knit environment to learn and grow as a scientist, as well as, an individual. Instrumentation within departments is available for all groups to use free of charge. The work place is a positive competitive environment, where everyone is willing to help their peers succeed.
Culture of Apathy
Staff (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 3, 2014
There is a lot of bad morale at the university due to many factors. Stagnant wages, shaky policies, and outdated technology. Many folks are very pleasant but the few who are not are very vocal and some are unfortunately influential. Students seem very overworked and payroll is very archaic (still completely paper based).
Pros
Fridays off in the summer; great 403b contribution
Cons
Apathetic attitude on campus, poor alumni involvement
Decent School to Teach At
Clinical Instructor in Pharmacy Practice (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 30, 2014
USciences is a fine institution of higher learning. The leadership could certainly be better, and much improvement is need in structure in order to adequately meet students' needs.