UNM HOSPITALS Employee Reviews

challanging but always fun
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 26, 2017
working here I found that I had challenges everyday but not in a bad way. It was a great working environment and helped me build good relationships with people within the company.
Productive and good working place
Patient Service Tech/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 19, 2017
Very busy environment, working in various depts. loved dealing with patients, very diverse. Loved the atmosphere, a lot of team work everyone works together and communicate
It's a very beneficial job!
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 16, 2017
Typical day at work includes feeding and doing cares for babies, also quite a bit of stocking. In this job I have learned to take care of babies and what to watch for with infant safety in the work place. The hardest part of this job is the emotional connection with the babies that come threw here, the circumstances are very sad at times. The most enjoyable part of the job is the hands on work you have with the babies.
Pros
the benefits are great and the hands on work is nice
Cons
they are 12 hour shifts
Sucked
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 14, 2017
Sucked would complain about the sky if they could, they wouldnt send us supplies to clean and would constantpy send people up to do my job with no reason
Good
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87106April 21, 2017
Could use more staff and more pay rather than a raise every 5 yrs put more staff on the input floors there would be less falls and more happier staff instead of gettijg burned out and patients getting hurt
A day working at UNM
Environmental Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 12, 2017
My typical day at work was very busy I managed 22 offsite clinics for UNM. I traveled a lot checking my clinics daily, inspections, ATP swabs, evaluations. I learned that each employee is different and you have to be able to adjust your management style to assist and improve and grow each employee. We had a lot of turn over in management this last 2 years which is one of the reason I left. My hardest part of my job was try to give each employee the time I felt they needed with my clinics being so far apart. I love my staff and enjoyed them.
benefits
Cons
not enough time with my managment
They do not Value the Emplyees
System Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 13, 2017
The mantra is "Do More With Less" which means Work Harder for the Same Pay.
I 'Support Services' the environment is needlessly high pressure.
Upper Management is completely OUT OF TOUCH
Pros
OK pay good Benefits
Cons
Pressure, the C-Suite might as well be on Mars
Excellent learning environment
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 25, 2017
It was a place where despite all of the troubles happening in your life, you learned how to appreciate everything that you had, for it could be taken from you in the blink of an eye
its a hospital
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 24, 2017
a typical day at work is assisting patients in daily living, you will be amazed how patients will act when you are alone with you and then be a completely new person when family members or friends come around. working in healthcare is not a easy job, rewarding at times but stressful.
LongDays
Mental Health Technician II (Former Employee) –  2600 marbleJanuary 1, 2017
Short staffed but always made it work. Staff safety was always compromised, no support from management. The pay was not great for the abuse we took.
A place to learn without time off or any career advancement
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 19, 2016
A great learning place especially for new graduates however Rehab department managers are not supportive or communicative. They make it next to impossible to take any time off. The pay does not increase and the overall wages continue to be the lowest in the city. Turnover is still high and morale towards management low. Do not stay at this place very long or you will be burned out and likely want to change your profession.
Pros
great as a new graduate
Cons
low pay, poor management, no career advancement, high turnover, impossible to take time off
Easiest type of job witha lots of chances to grow.
Eligibility and Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 18, 2016
They pay for your tuition, they will give you opportunity to improve and grow, easy job and better pay. Schedule flexibility. Great company to work, I am proud of being a part of this company.
Pros
Tuition Fee Reimbursement, Free Health Insurance, growth opportunity
Stressful
PBX Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 26, 2016
This job was very stressful with very little compensation or benefits. UNM Hospital is no doubt a great hospital but because of the overwhelming amount of patients and departments there is very little communication between anyone which leaves everyone feeling very frustrated and making this culture barely bearable.
Cons
Bad Communication
Flexible Hours
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 20, 2016
A typical day required picking up mail, making/answering calls, completing work assignments, typing , delivering paperwork and filing paperwork.
Pros
Work Study awarded
Cons
Parking
Challenging work, fair compensation
Senior Benefits Specialist - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 23, 2015
The most enjoyable thing about my job is the collaborative relationship with my co-workers. We work together as a team and support each other. The mission of the organization is vital to our community and I am proud to be a part of that mission.
Pros
100% employer-paid health and dental coverage for full-time employees.
Cons
Staffing ratios
Challenging but not rewarding
RN (Former Employee) –  Inpatient nursingJune 17, 2015
I think the other review on UNMH that talks about the abusive patients, management problems, and lack of raises is pretty accurate. Employees like working here because it has fun staff and is challenging. You also learn a lot about health and disease processes. The attending doctors are a joy to work with. The residents are learning how to be respectful to other employees (first job syndrome, I suppose). Though it has not been my experience, I have seen many employees disciplined/fired over minor issues. The policy for taking vacation/leave is very restrictive and often makes it difficult for using time off unless you plan months in advance (why does clinical staff get their time off requests denied or moved around, while non-clinical staff get to take off whatever days they want?). Make no mistakes, this hospital fights tooth and nail every year to prevent pay increases. And when the union eeks out a 2% raise, you're supposed to be thankful that you got 'something.' In general, not a place that rewards long term employment or values committed employees. It is more a place you work because you like the challenge/university environment. It is an 'interesting' place to work with 'interesting' and diverse patients. But truth be told you cannot call this a place that puts employee satisfaction anywhere near the top of their priorities.
Pros
challenging, fun staff, learning environment
Cons
low pay, does not value long term employment
They were good to me.
Pneumatic Tube System Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 30, 2015
The union is weak, but the attitude of upper management propagates a need for the union by encouraging an us against them attitude. The union creates a situation where everyone is paid and treated as if they are the lowest common denominator. However, my managers were fair and reasonable with me.
Pros
On-call paid by the hour.
Cons
Little incentive to excel.
Productive and great learning enviroment
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 21, 2014
UNM Hospitals is a great place to work, the people are great getting to interview patients for financial assistance or medicaid lets you get a chance to see how others are affected by healthcare costs and you also get a chance to meet a variety of different people.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Very Productive and Research based
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 16, 2013
This place has many deadlines which needs to be met on time. The work is very interesting when it comes to research
Abusive
mid level (Current Employee) –  albuquerqueApril 14, 2013
Front line staff members and most RN Supervisors could not be better-- they were friendly, professional, and a joy to be around. Some senior leadership (ED and above) members were downright abusive-- clearly had their favorites, expressed little gratitude, were clinically inept, and circled the wagons when concerns were raised. Demanding hours (60+ weekly), little (if any) gratitude from executive leadership, horrifically poor communication from senior leadership, etc.
Terribly unsafe place to work-- frequent assaults by patients and a refusal from senior leadership to support injured staff.
Pros
front line staff amazingly dedicated
Cons
senior leadership (ed and above) were abusive beyond comprehension

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNM HOSPITALS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8