UNM HOSPITALS Employee Reviews in United States

Stressful
PBX Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 26, 2016
This job was very stressful with very little compensation or benefits. UNM Hospital is no doubt a great hospital but because of the overwhelming amount of patients and departments there is very little communication between anyone which leaves everyone feeling very frustrated and making this culture barely bearable.
Cons
Bad Communication
Challenging work, fair compensation
Senior Benefits Specialist - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 23, 2015
The most enjoyable thing about my job is the collaborative relationship with my co-workers. We work together as a team and support each other. The mission of the organization is vital to our community and I am proud to be a part of that mission.
Pros
100% employer-paid health and dental coverage for full-time employees.
Cons
Staffing ratios
Challenging but not rewarding
RN (Former Employee) –  Inpatient nursingJune 17, 2015
I think the other review on UNMH that talks about the abusive patients, management problems, and lack of raises is pretty accurate. Employees like working here because it has fun staff and is challenging. You also learn a lot about health and disease processes. The attending doctors are a joy to work with. The residents are learning how to be respectful to other employees (first job syndrome, I suppose). Though it has not been my experience, I have seen many employees disciplined/fired over minor issues. The policy for taking vacation/leave is very restrictive and often makes it difficult for using time off unless you plan months in advance (why does clinical staff get their time off requests denied or moved around, while non-clinical staff get to take off whatever days they want?). Make no mistakes, this hospital fights tooth and nail every year to prevent pay increases. And when the union eeks out a 2% raise, you're supposed to be thankful that you got 'something.' In general, not a place that rewards long term employment or values committed employees. It is more a place you work because you like the challenge/university environment. It is an 'interesting' place to work with 'interesting' and diverse patients. But truth be told you cannot call this a place that puts employee satisfaction anywhere near the top of their priorities.
Pros
challenging, fun staff, learning environment
Cons
low pay, does not value long term employment
They were good to me.
Pneumatic Tube System Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 30, 2015
The union is weak, but the attitude of upper management propagates a need for the union by encouraging an us against them attitude. The union creates a situation where everyone is paid and treated as if they are the lowest common denominator. However, my managers were fair and reasonable with me.
Pros
On-call paid by the hour.
Cons
Little incentive to excel.
Strong interpersonal communications skills.
Clerical/filing, Customer service skills. (Former Employee) –  New MexicoSeptember 11, 2014
I Think I Would Be A Good Associate For This Position, Because I'm Confident In Having The Skills You Are Looking For.
Pros
i love working with people.
Cons
i am able to deal with whatever comes along.
Productive and great learning enviroment
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 21, 2014
UNM Hospitals is a great place to work, the people are great getting to interview patients for financial assistance or medicaid lets you get a chance to see how others are affected by healthcare costs and you also get a chance to meet a variety of different people.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Very Productive and Research based
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 16, 2013
This place has many deadlines which needs to be met on time. The work is very interesting when it comes to research
Abusive
mid level (Current Employee) –  albuquerqueApril 14, 2013
Front line staff members and most RN Supervisors could not be better-- they were friendly, professional, and a joy to be around. Some senior leadership (ED and above) members were downright abusive-- clearly had their favorites, expressed little gratitude, were clinically inept, and circled the wagons when concerns were raised. Demanding hours (60+ weekly), little (if any) gratitude from executive leadership, horrifically poor communication from senior leadership, etc.
Terribly unsafe place to work-- frequent assaults by patients and a refusal from senior leadership to support injured staff.
Pros
front line staff amazingly dedicated
Cons
senior leadership (ed and above) were abusive beyond comprehension
Dangerous place to work.
Tech. (Former Employee) –  MainMarch 8, 2013
Probably the most dangerous place to be employed. OSHA could have a field day with all the infactions. No eye wash station, NO EMERGENCY lighting, the power went out and it is dark!! No MSDS Haz/mat info to reference. The personal protective equipement (PPE) might have been good 30 years ago,but not now, substandard.
The staff is pretty good and seem happy with there jobs. The management is reactionary vs proactive.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
lack of management through out the day.
Turning corporate
Inpatient RN III (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 19, 2012
I have been with UNMH for over 6 years. It, unfortunately, is the best hospital to work at in Albuquerque (excluding the VA). I haven't received a raise in 4 years. The union has "negotiations" every year with no results. My health insurance is with the hospital itself. Being a level 1 trauma center and the only one in the state it can get hairy making appointments since you're competing with your patients. And the patients... We except all and any and they are the most disrespectful people on this planet. Management still wants you to subdue to this behavior, out the window with boundaries, due to receiving "good grades" for medicare funding. VERY top heavy administration, which is mostly consumed by uneducated people due the popularity of nepotism is this state. Do not move here if you want to be happy. I am from here and not proud of it.
Pros
experience
Cons
everything else

2.8