Unum

Unum Employer Reviews

Department under constant review and changes by upper management.
Senior Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNMarch 16, 2015
Department under constant review and changes by upper management. Most difficult part of the job was being on the phone all day long. Most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers.
Great organization
Account Specialist (Former Employee), Glendale, CAMarch 5, 2015
Great company and excellent culture. Reputable organization...highly regarded; strong career path and growth opportunities. I recommend working for this organization.
Great company
Records Tech I (Former Employee), Portland, MEMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great hours and pay with benefits
Cons: could be stressful at times
When I worked at Unum I had many roles to fill there. I enjoyed my time for the most part. There were times thought I felt that I wasn't heard when I had a concern.
Production environment with high stress level
Sr. Disability Benefits Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, MEFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day at work was very production orientated. Tasks assigned throughout the day with multiple interruptions. I did learn how to mentor new team members and became a technical expert in Short Term Disability contract knowledge. Daily conference calls with employers, medical professionals and claimants. My coworkers often came to me for claim file reviews and contract questions. The hardest part of the job was exceeding company standards set that were not attainable during computer outages or system issues. I loved working with the employers and the field offices on customer issues, contract questions and working with the public.
Fantastic PTO benefits, average pay, poor advancement
Benefits Administration Specialist (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNDecember 16, 2014
Unum is great for stability and to gain top knowledge about insurance processes and products. However, consistently proving yourself as top performer, gaining specific responsibilities and team lead roles, and the go-to person for a team of 12+ with no compensation becomes discouraging and insulting. "Lean" departments that hoard their best employees and block opportunities to apply internally- while adversely affecting their Work/Life balance- results in my hesitation about recommending this employer.
Productive and busy work place environment
Executive Assistant, Marketing (Former Employee), Portland, MEDecember 11, 2014
Pros: great culture and work life balance
Enjoyed my time as an Executive Assistant at Unum and was always busy and fortunate to work for and with a great team of people. Along with the usual duties of an assistant, I was able to be an integral part of larger projects as well. If not for a large lay off I would still be there.
In the past 7 years, UNUM has become a less desirable place to work
Client Service Professional (Former Employee), Portland, MEDecember 3, 2014
Pros: can learn a lot about the insurance industry
Cons: company expects too many hours from employees, too stressful
I see reviews that seem to indicate a positive atmosphere, but at least in Maine, business surveys indicate something very different. UNUM has steadily fallen from being number one or two best places to work in Maine, to ninth place. I spoke to UNUM’s HR about this steady drop and they acknowledged that UNUM drops one or two places every year on this survey. They acknowledged that UNUM is not the most desirable place to work, as it once was. As with many large companies, UNUM too keeps pushing its employees to work more with little or no salary increase. UNUM expects many of its employees to work 50 or more hours a week and often ask employees to “volunteer” to work on Saturdays, especially in the service areas. A lot of pressure is placed on the employees to put in these hours, or your review will be severely impacted. I know this pressure is not unheard of at large companies, and UNUM is a big player with this pressure and saying they value work place balance, but, in my opinion, they do not practice it.
Director (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNNovember 13, 2014
Pros: benefits, growth, development
Cons: large
I actually left and came back here because the grass isn't always greener. Great people, great management team, great benefits ...
Professional Setting - jFinance
Metrics & Reporting Analyst (Current Employee), South Portland, MENovember 6, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: unrealistic expectation of your capacity
Typically a salaried person can expect to work 45-50 hours per week in the area of Finance. I've learned that you need to sometimes say no to your internal customer. Working too much has had a negative impact on my family. Very often leadership and management will tell you to not work late but they are obligated to say that and continue to understaff with unrealistic deadlines. The very best part of my job is the professional, friendly, supportive team.
Floor Messenger (Former Employee), Portland, MENovember 4, 2014
Delivering mail and packages to internal customers. This job was one that I didn't see many of my co-workers on a daily basis because I worked in a different building from them. Management was good about checking to see if I needed anything from them on a weekly basis.
Great comppany to work for.
Benefit Counselor (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2014
I enjoyed the public speaking part of the job as well as educating client employees about their benefit options.

The job was on a part-time, on-call basis which worked well with my Insurance business.
Passed time
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 31, 2014
Pros: paid for all my expenses, lunches and comuting fairs
UNUM was a temporary job for me I was also bartending at the time,

I didn't like the commutes,

What I did enoy was again meeting new people.

My day would consist of commuting, setting up a table and handing out information on personal insurance programs.
A lot of red tape and less work/home balance than past.
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee), Portland, MEOctober 14, 2014
Pros: cafeteria, professionalism
Cons: glass ceiling, poor work/home balance
Many changing wheels for the process of change but not improvement. Management needs more training.
Supportive and Stable workplace
Disability Benefit Specialist (Current Employee), Portland, MEOctober 6, 2014
Unum is a great place to work. The staff and management are supportive. They support a healthy work.life balance and have great benefits.
5 Stars
National Accounts Implementation Manager (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: opportunity for growth, movement, benefits, people
Cons: 4th quarter
Unum is a wonderful place to work. I wanted to represent 5 stars for each of the above but it would not allow me to click on all 5.

I've enjoyed the constant growth and learning opportunities that have been given to me. I have moved up through the corporation very quickly and have enjoyed all roles that I have held.
Productive Work Place
Executive Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Glendale, CASeptember 25, 2014
Training and development focus.
Office recognizes hard working employees.
Strong team spirit
Open communication
good company to work for
Benefits Center Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNSeptember 15, 2014
good company to work for and great health benefits

Management good
Great compensation and benefits
Unum (Former Employee), Portland MaineSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: compensation/benefits
Unum is a great company to work for, due to their focus on compensation and benefits.
Work colleauges and management were dedicated to both job performance and work-life balence
Long Term Disability Benefits Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, MEAugust 22, 2014
A fast paced environment requiring the management of up to 80 long term disability claims that required:
- Information gathering
- Risk management
- Claim presentations
- Collaboration with medical, legal, and quality control resources
- Effective written and oral communication skills to communicate, explain and rationalized policy provisions and claim decisions.

The overall experience was positive with excellent support provided by internal resources and the management team.
Room for growth and advancement
Regional Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Denver, COAugust 6, 2014
Fun company with room for career growth and advancement. A culture that promotes creativity and fun.

1 2 3 4

About Unum

Through injury or illness, Unum Group works to keep employees employed. A top disability insurer in the US and the UK, the company – Read more

Unum Salaries