UPMC Employee Reviews

Horrible and unqualified management
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
I worked as a case manager for UPMC Health plan for 7 1/2 years. I got great reviews and was nominated for UPMC's "Cameo of Caring" award. Throughout my career there I had a few managers that seemed like they had no management training or skills and finally our dept was broken up and I was put under a manager that took a personal dislike to me from some unknown reason, which ended with me losing my position. This company is more about who's who and not about what you deliver. When you have an employee who has been with a company for a long time and is not just "towing the line" .... has been nominated for awards and gotten good reviews, you should look at the manager when there is a problem.
Rewarding career if trained correctly
office assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 31, 2015
This is a fast pace environment with wonderful nursing staff. If you want a rewarding career in patient care this is the place to work. Management however needs to be part of the team more with assuring that his front office staff is trained correctly. Your trainer needs to pay more attention to detail instead of just getting someone to fill the chair. This is close quarters when working and staff needs to remain professional instead of gossiping. The hardest part of the job is seeing patients deteriorate when they come in with such hope. The most enjoyable part of the job is the patient. They are appreciative of everything that you do for them.
Pros
Good pay and holidays
Cons
poor training
Great work atmosphere
Licensed Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAApril 4, 2016
My coworkers are all very nice and always there for me if I need help.
Very supportive workplace.
Hardest part of the job is working more than 8 hours per day at times and not being paid for the overtime work.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, supportive management
Cons
poor compensation, no pay for working overtime
Difficult Culture
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 24, 2016
This company is located in Pittsburgh PA. With the many layoffs, staff is stress to their limits trying to achieve. They remaining staff are trying to keep it all together but the intellectual knowledge just walked out the door.

Very stressful.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
Fear based culture, here today, laid off tomorrow
Lot's of work not enough balance
Financial Analyst Senior (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2016
My co-workers were one of the best things about the job. Everyone got along. The hardest part about the job, which goes in line with management, is that there was no cross training in my position. We implemented a new software, specific to our department back in 2010. I was lead on the database, however, neither the Senior Director nor the Director of the department ever learned how to run reports correctly out of the database, and as of March 2016 they still had no knowledge of how to run any processes out of the system.
Great company to work for
Program Director Community Social Responsibility (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2016
I recently retired as the Program Director, Community Social Responsibility at UPMC Center for Engagement and Inclusion where I was responsible for promoting and creating awareness for health care careers, academic success, Dignity & Respect for Youth, and healthy lifestyles for youth in grades K-12. In addition, I was responsible for overseeing all of the community initiatives that focused on Community Outreach Initiatives and Healthy Communities. Each day involved multi task activities of which I hardly ever had a dull moment. My staff and co-workers were team players and we worked hard together to be ready for the opportunities that were important to us collectively.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes not having enough time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching out, sharing knowledge, helping others and continuously learning
Horrible hostile work environment
Health Information Verification (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 11, 2016
Upmc has NO compassion or consideration for their employees. Low pay, long hours, Denied breaks, Belittled by management. Only worried about getting work out. There is no work life balance when working for upmc.
My year there was rewarding educationally and personally
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 26, 2015
Pros
Treated like an adult with a life elsewhere
Compensation was always being looked at
The staff was pleasant and accommodating
I was able to apply my education and keep learning
Pros
Treated like an adult with a life, well compensated, pleasant staff, and I was able to apply my education and keep learning
Cons
Some change over in management but due to advancement, It was far from home and not open to telecommuting then.
don't work here
Senior Programmer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 30, 2016
This is a very hostile work environment. If you value your health, your career, don't work here. The arguments and hostility are worse than anything I have ever seen. Their teams of people are very large, 50+ people. My first day, no one spoke to me but my boss. He said "be right back" and then left for the day. A bad first day is a bad start for a new job. Then the hostility, vile emails, shouting started. No one thinks anything of it there. It is their norm. But not mine. I value my health and my well being without shouting and disruptive emails constantly.
Pros
tv
Cons
very hostile people
Very poor management structure
Systems Analyst, Intermediate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2015
This was the first time in my career I had worked in an application development environment, so I had a lot to learn. I was hired to administer the 55 servers that they used in the development of the Identity Management System (IMS). This required me to do day to day administration of the application and web servers, promote any changes (bug fixes, etc.) to the Test system for testing, and then promote any final changes to the production system. I worked with the developers to troubleshoot issues with the IMS system or the servers by providing them with log files, etc. I learned how to read C# source code and how to administer .NET Framework. I learned how to write simple SQL queries. I worked with the other IT departments in UPMC on a daily basis (server team, Linux support, network security, Exchange support, Citrix support, SQL/Oracle support, etc.).
Pros
Flexible schedule, generous vacation time, work from home one day a week.
Cons
Very poor management structure, major projects were not planned properly, many managers that should not have been managers.
Operations Manager at UPMC Eye Center (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15213March 14, 2016
UPMC was a great place to work. My supervisor was outstanding who did not micro management and was always there to problem solve. Took early retirement they offered in order to solve some budget issues. I personally had a wonderful staff who always gave 150% and worked as a team.
Pros
Excellent employer
Cons
Managers who complain rather than solve problems
Unappreciated and overworked
Professional Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2016
There are zero standards set for my department. I am a nurse that "can hold their own" "competent", and I get rewarded with MORE work. A few other nurses have 30+ years experience in the same speciality and they are unable to complete the same patient ratio assignment. This has been addressed to management as a problem by multiple staff members and we are told by management that "Everyone has something they bring to the table". I find myself being burned out and under a great amount of stress. I come to work to take care of my patients and always find myself picking up other staff members slack. If all employees are unable to meet "job expectations", they should invest in candidates that have better work ethics, competence, time management, etc. I dread every day I have to come to work because I know I will end up carrying others weight.
Cons
Management hires people they know personally. Favoritism.
Good place to work.
Workforce Coordinator, Workforce Management (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew and it was more difficult to get to know the new people. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
Upmc
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 15, 2016
When you work for a call center 98% of everything is the representatives fault. In a weeks time I take about 7 calls an hour, I've learned so much about how to deal with angry customers, how to control the situation and make sure that everything is being done properly and in a timely manner. the hardest part is the daily routine, being tied to a desk for 9 hours a day. my coworkers will always make or break the job. I have many coworkers here at UPMC that make every day possible. and the most enjoyable part would be when you are able to tell that cancer patient that we breast reconstruction surgery is covered, or their wig is covered.
A great place to work, and never ending opportunityes for learning
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 28, 2016
A very busy place to work. In one day you could work within the x-ray department, operating rooms, emergency-trauma department or the fluoroscopy department, out on the floors doing portables. UPMC was an excellent place to gain knowledge and experience. Each day was an adventure in learning, not just your job, but in culture and diversity.
One Busy day
Director Level Salary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2016
Each day is extremely demanding and fast paced. I experienced no downtime. Eating through lunches and working longer hours. I enjoyed it though. Most of the people were fantastic. There are many younger inexperienced managers that don't always make the best decisions leaving employees underneath them at some risk.

I learned much about financial analysis and dealing with corporate issues. The culture is a bit rough as endless rumors about job losses go on an on. I have done much to innovate and increase my productivity but in the case of my manager, this was frowned upon because they fear what they don't understand...change.

A typical day would be running weekly reports,answering questions, looking to fix or find missed bills on a daily basis. I would also be working on some larger projects with many interruptions. I loved the challenge! I also did a lot of work in Access which I also really enjoyed.

UPMC also offers a pension that is invested at a bank rate of interest. I don't understand why they do this because bank interest cannot come close to inflation. I wish they would at least invest the money in TIP funds.
Pros
Challenge, lots of work to be done
Cons
Layoffs
Less than average
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Seneca, PADecember 12, 2015
My time at UPMC was than ideal. I am trying to say this tastefully and give an honest review without damamging UPMC's name.

I will sart by daying that the pay scale is very low for clinical staff including laboratory personnel, housekeeping, CNA's, PCT's, RN's Dr.'d and PA's. I really cannot think of a position that offers a genuine and relliable package for non-corporate workers.

Atmosphere can be great for a first-time job out of college and gaining experience.

The balance of shift work is difficult. It's like a roller coaster. A true example of my shifts for a week were as follows:

M-1:30 pm-10-pm
T-11am-7:30 pm
W-Off
Th8-430
F-130pm-10pm
S-5am-130 pm

There also is a an issue with management and HR. Another example of time here is the issue of working your way up form Casual/Per Diem to PT or FT.

When I applied for a PT position, I was offered the position and accepted under the condition that I did not disclose this with my coworkers. It didn't take long for the coworkers to find out. My supervisor, after a year, still has not adressed the other applicants/coworkers with the fact that I received this position.

UPMC allow many call off with no coverage, so there are many stressful days where youa re short handed and management does not bother to fill in.

Other issues include racking up over 100+ hours of vacation and not being able to use them because not enough people are trained to do your position, there is no coverage, or your low man on the totem pole.

We have had a lot of employees retire and unfortunately UPMC does not hire new ones.
  more... We cannot afford to replace them. Therefore we are forced to pick up the extra responsibilities without the proper knowledge, education, or training to do the job correctly.

Also, coworkers re not held to the same standard as one another. Coworkers are not reprimanded when they become hostile and argue with one another.

Choose wisely when coming to UPMC.

I have several friend who work at other UPMC hospitals, Doctor's offices, and nursing homes and these issues are all present and relevent at these instituions. We think that these situation are the true culture of working for UPMC.
Pros
Tuition assitance
Cons
Benefits, pay, work-life balance, poor management, shifts
Upmc
Lead BI Analyst and Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2016
UPMC recruited me for a leadership position in Analytics., as they were embarking on an enterprise analytics projects.

The hardest part of the job, was the slow pace at which the project moved. the most enjoyable part of the job was working thru the strategy, mentoring my team, looking forward to implementing the strategy we were planning.
Hard working individuals
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 10, 2015
No support or relationship from middle management. The only time I have spoken to my bosses is when they felt they needed to discipline. Blame for incidents will always be passed down to those whose voice hold no power. Employee turnover rates are high due to the little pay and lack of respect for service industry workers. I've worked with a great group of hard working individuals, but most have quit or found other opportunities since I have began.. You will feel expendable.
Benefits
Cons
Overall lack of respect
really enjoy this field
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Shadyside, PASeptember 18, 2016
I am surge tech ll, I scrub ortho cases, surg onc, urology. I work with well with staff in rms.i am knowledgeable of all instrumentation used during procedures. I work well with staff members in room. I enjoy this job, not really hard for me. mostly I am directly helping the patient.
Pros
i really enjoy the surgery