UPMC

UPMC Employee Reviews

Very rewarding experience
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), Presbyterian University HospitalMarch 18, 2015
The experience enabled me to grow, attending to the needs of patients 18 years of age and older. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the loss of patients.
Productive and helpful to patients
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee), Oakland, PAMarch 16, 2015
I take and develop X-Ray films.
File films and scan reports into patient charts.
Perform Bone Density's
Do EKG's
If I have any down time I try to help the front office staff by doing some of their scanning.
also unpack and put away supplies.
I get along with my Co-workers and the Physicians.
Enjoy my patients
Lacks IT leadership and vision
SENIOR PROGRAMMER (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: was once an upbeat environment to work focused on patient care.
Cons: now an arguably toxic environment for it workers - depending on your supervisor.
The IT organization is in the midst of a multi-year restructuring. The early phases consisted of cost-cutting by eliminating the higher salaries. What remains are the cheaper, less experienced, questionably motivated folks who are only concerned about the bottom line and preservation of their own job.
Stressful
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2015
Stressful work environment that will run you into the ground if you allow. Treated like a number and expected to drop everything for your job when you should not even be working. Bad benefits for a health care organization.
Large health system that needs to be more proactive.
Health Information Consultant/ Supervisor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: diverse culture
Cons: limited growth
Typical day consists of internal auditing, management, hiring and training, performance appraisals, etc. Striving to enhance departments.
Intense and busy place to work
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: facility was based within close proximity to the university of pittsburgh
Cons: very crowded
UPMC, a Level 1 trauma facility with world renowned reputation, was an interesting place to work. Each day there was fast paced and filled with many interesting cases. I l gained an enormous amount experience in many different disciplines including, but not limited to, neurosurgery, endocrine and general surgeries. My co workers were very well-versed in all aspects of their respective cases. At UPMC, I learned how best to manage my time as we were always very busy. I was able to become proficient at each case I was assigned to. The hardest part of the job was probably, just having graduating from school, was to adjust to such a fast paced environment. The most enjoyable part of my time there was knowing I was part of a team doing our best to provide the best care available.
A great place for learning new things
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: learning oppertunities
Cons: losing this job
I would probably still be working here if the practice I was at did not eliminate my position. I helped with customers both adults and children. The hardest part of my job was when I left for the reason above. My co-workers where very helpful and taught me a lot.
UPMC
Pc Consultant Intermediate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 4, 2015
UPMC is a great company to work for. The IT department is very forward thinking and is the most wired Hospital in the nation.
Offers many opportunities
Systems Analyst Intermediate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 4, 2015
UPMC is company that offers many opportunities to grow and build a career. They also offer excellent benefits. My experience with UPMC was a positive career experience.
You're just a worker ant
Surgical Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee), PittsburghMarch 3, 2015
Pros: insurance, education reimbursement
Cons: terrible management, inadequate pay
The company doesn't really value their employees. They believe that everyone is dispensable so they treat them with no respect. The job pays the bills so you cant complain but its just not a great place to work.
Nuclear Cardiology
Systems Analyst Associate-ISD PC Break Fix (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 2, 2015
Executive support for Nuclear Cardiology Scheduling. (Cardiac Stress Tests)
Generated daily test results for patient, and Medical Records
Scheduler of the Starlz Renal Transplant Clinic for two research physicians
Contacted patients regarding patient visits, instructions, and mailed information packets
Grand Rounds Coordinator for Cardiology
Responsible for coordinating travel arrangements, Itinerary, newsletters, and
Expense A/R&A/P
UPMC is a Level 1 trauma and teaching facility. Very large and extremely busy and crowded
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: i'm sorry, i really can't think of any
Cons: not a very "user friendly" place to begin a career, intimidating and overwhelming, does not practice the type of patient centered care that i would want for myself or a loved one.
UPMC was an "ok" place to work. Having just graduated from my Surgical Tech program, UPMC was probably not the best choice of hospitals in which to start my career. There are an inordinate amount of people and it was very easy to get lost in the shuffle. I was pretty much thrown into just about every procedure imaginable, with little to no previous experience aside from my internship while in school. There was not much time or patience from the staff to help acclimate me to the institution, let alone the procedures and the way they wanted them done. I heard it said, by more than a few people at UPMC that it's either "sink or swim" and "see one, do one, teach one." This may be an intelligent approach for someone who has been a Surgical Tech for longer than a few months, but very overwhelming and intimidating to someone just starting out their career. Because of this, as one would imagine, I was very uncomfortable and wasn't able to develop and utilize my skills as quickly as I would have liked. Due to this, and the atmosphere in which I was working, I never felt that I was able to give the type and quality of patient centered care I would have liked to have provided my patients. But I did learn a lot about the different procedures and did gain more confidence because, well, I was forced to. When I left UPMC, I felt fairly sure of myself and my skills and was subsequently able to apply what I learned in the "boot camp" that is UPMC. Having been at UPMC and then working at another facility, to my surprise and relief, I found that I had gained more confidence and much more experience than I had anticipated. Because of those experiences, I was able to take a position at another Level 1 trauma facility with no problems and with a lot more confidence.
Great for gaining experience
Research Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2015
Great for learning information about research and gaining needed experience to further education. Great for individuals considering applying to doctorate programs.
A great place to learn and be challenged!
Crisis Clinician Supervisor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2015
I have learned a great deal from working at UPMC. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting the consumers where they are at and assisting them at their most vulnerable moments. It is a gift and I am grateful to be a part of it.
Not bad, but not great
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2015
It is a bit of a grind, but the benefits are pretty good. Good salary, and awesome health, dental, and vision. I would not want to be here forever.
Coworkers and doctors were nice to work for.
Patient Information Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: working with co-workers and doctors
Cons: late hours.
I would check in/out patient in the orthopedic deparment. Check all patients information, collected co-pay's, made new charts, entered charges for doctor visits, and made new appointments. Made bank deposits, answered phones, pulled charts for next day appointments.
WPIC Mental Health Workers: great, resilient staff, but under appreciated and under compensated
Therapist (Former Employee), WPIC: IDD and Autism FloorJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: staff, doctors
Cons: schedule, 'corporate' overlords, low pay for the extreme physical and mental strain
There was hardly ever a dull day when I worked at WPIC on the Merck floor, so if you want an environment where you will gain many stories that would gross out the average folk, this is the place for you. There is great camaraderie among the MTs, PCAs and SNAs and usually the nurses too, so that helps make it a manageable place to work day by day.

As an MT you try to run therapeutic groups, but there are often patients of many different intellectual levels, so mainly we tried to keep everybody as entertained and safe as possible. It is a rewarding population to work with; when simple things like going a full day without a patient smearing feces on you or the wall is something to celebrate, your life view shifts. There are patients that are hilarious, adorable, endearing and terrifying. Many are there on that floor because they are aggressive, so you will definitely dodge some fists, get scratched, bit and maybe even a concussion. You were on camera 24/7 too, which could be helpful when an incident goes down, but could also be nerve racking in that you could not make a mistake in how you react when being attacked. (I feel like I can empathize and understand the dilemma for cops and body cams).

For an MT the pay was a bit below ok, but for PCAs and SNAs, who deal with all the same physical and emotional demands but just didn't run groups or have bachelor degrees, the pay was ridiculously low. They were the most under compensated and under appreciated by the management although the doctors and directors were usually pretty respectful. They were often a bit unrealistic about what – more... was possible to do with patients on a day to day basis too, which was frustrating. The schedule was rough since the floor had to be staffed 24/7. Doing swing shifts, and never having any consistency in your work life is tough (especially at the low pay rate, we got half as much as nurses but yet were on the floor providing direct care the entire shift). They could be flexible and take class schedules into account, but sometimes it seems like the scheduler forgot certain days that were requested off. (I will admit scheduling must have been a nightmare though, I would not want that job). At least overtime was well compensated, but that leads to emotional burn out and staff often want to stay strong and not admit that they are feeling that.

The staff are beautiful, strong people who risk life and limb because they are compassionate towards patients with low intellectual functioning and autism. Basically there should be a whole other set of rules, regulations, policies and pay system for the Merck unit at WPIC. Probably this is the case for each different population at WPIC. The extremes that exist between all the different populations in WPIC should be reflected in the policies and pay. UPMC is a huge, well off conglomerate that can afford to treat their mental health workers more than easily replaceable pawns. It would probably help the high turn over rate too which would benefit them in the long run too. – less
Great co-workers and doctors
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Greenville, PAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workers and doctors
Cons: making me travel long distance when needed to cover
I learned how to operate more medical equipment (PFT's). My day started off preparing the rooms before the doctor arrives and making sure the first patient is ready.
I enjoyed questioning the doctor as to medical treatment that they might have done that I never heard of. I enjoy learning new information that may further my career.
small, yet effecient place to work with job security
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: no micro management, short commute, hour long lunch.
Cons: no room for advancement
Working within UPMC was a steady typical day at work, with the differences of working for a numerous physicians and acting as a liason when a physician was unavailable. I learned to be more patient with interaction with patients from the teachings that I gained working with different entities of healthcare. I've always was a go getter and a self starter with little or no supervision, but when I realized and was told that I could actually run the practice I knew that I have overcome my challenge. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I meet so many people that made me to work at my best to be trustworthy of them that I was recommended to speak to when patients would contact the office. The most enjoyable part was that I learned so much. My main entity was working with Neurology. I understand so much now and am so grateful that I was chosen from a number of others to work within that group.
I love working here.
Patient Information Coordinator (Current Employee), Wexford, PAJanuary 26, 2015
It is a great thing when you love your workplace, and I certainly love mine.
The patients are wonderful and the staff, is always supportive and team minded.
My management team are my greatest advocates, who support my growth and overall job improvement.

About UPMC

UPMC is one of the leading nonprofit health systems in the United States. A $10 billion integrated global health enterprise headquartered – Read more

UPMC Salaries