UPMC

UPMC Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working with a supportive staff who has compay devotion
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2015
A typical day included talking with policy holders to update any information needed for payment and billing matters. Solved issues with patient doctor relationship also helped members find new physicians to establish care. Very enjoyable atmosphere working with a supportive staff who really takes the time and compassion for each challenging situation. The most difficult description of the position is when there is a policy that cannot be overturned due to policy and company procedures, and the member has to be advised of such information. Much patience, listening and compassion skills are required. Being able to help member in the best way possible is the most rewarding feeling of the day.
Pros
The recongition for outstanding performances
Cons
Stability
depended on the day....
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  SenecaMay 19, 2015
Mental health is not routine, the majority of my coworkers were great, but the main Psychiatrist at Northwest is less than desirable. I would have stayed if it weren't for him. It also would have been nice to been paid for the work that you do. They need to pay the PCAS a little more than what they do... they put just as much work into maintaining a safe environment as the RNs and MTs do, but get paid significantly less than the MTs.
Pros
great benefits, great coworkers
Cons
Doesn't pay enough
Histotechnologist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 19, 2015
Enjoyable place to work great management, learned how to set up a lab. Fun co-workers. Not the best hours to work thou. Would like to work there again.
Horrible place to work
Patient Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAMay 16, 2015
I was a floater and given no respect or consideration by management or office personnel where I was assigned, but a few offices were very nice, but most treated me with contempt and made life difficult; even though they asked for help. Long commute and parking was impossible and expensive with no reimbursement. Promised full-time placement in 30 days, 1 year later still floating. If you didn't want to work in Oakland, you never got a full time placement. They should of been honest about that when I took the job. Had enough of lies and abuse and quit for another job.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Horrible management
a typical day at work
CHEF (Current Employee) –  USX TowerMay 15, 2015
I start off my day by writing a new menu for the upcoming week.
make sure my staff has arrived and ready for work.
review the days menu with staff and make sure all employees understand what is expected of them throughout the course of the day.
Begin placing orders for the following day and walking around and making sure all food is being handled properly and ccoding to my recipes.
Finish up the day with my five or so orders placed and count down the cashiers tills and balance the registers and finally make a deposit at the back
Laid back and productive
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 15, 2015
I loved this place and my co-workers. Pay was ok. Just wished they had free parking for their employees. My drive to Oakland was just too far.
Fun worksplace with providing quality customer service
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2015
Very busy, yet innovative start of each day. I have learned to manage multiple tasks in a very busy clinic days. The collaboration with co-workers and management team was very smooth and friendly. The hardest part of the job was not having enough long days. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with physicians to provide better patient care.
Great place, great opportunity
Patient Information Coordinator (Float Pool) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 29, 2015
Check people in for appointments.
Check them out when they were done with their appointments.
Schedule any upcoming appointments.
Kept medical records clean.
Fax or copy anything that needed to be.
Pros
Great benefits, room for more opportunites
Cons
NONE
Good experience
Specialty Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 21, 2015
A good work environment but there is no opportunity for advancement and compensation is low compaired to other health systems
Pros
job security
Cons
no advancement
CHP is a beautiful hospital
Patient Information Coordinator (Current Employee) –  PittsburghApril 20, 2015
I love CHP, its a beautiful hospital, but in my current dept there is no respect or recognition from physician to staff. It's very sad. Unless your a physician or a nurse, your looked down upon
Really great place to work.
Barista (Former Employee) –  pghApril 19, 2015
Working for upmc was great they really made you feel like family.
They also had a great credit union program. A typical day at work was really busy and fast past. Theres ton of different kinds of people and they all come together and upmc.
Patient Business Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 17, 2015
Daily procedures would include answering telephone calls, scheduling appointments, order office supplies. They hardest part of the job was not having job security the funnest part was interacting with my patients.
productive and very up tempo
Patient Information Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 15, 2015
A typical work day was very fast paced and up lifting. Co workers were friendly and helpful when you needed them. Hardest part of them job were just the numbers that we saw on a daily basis in our emergency department.
Beautiful Hospital
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAApril 13, 2015
A typical day involved a lot of emergency care, stat IV, Labs, ekgs, foleys, ETC. We all worked well together. I learned so much at this job, how to do things in a fast but the right way, My manager helped so much. It was nice to be there from day 1 and watch the hospital open and see it succeed.
Pros
Awesome co workers to work with/ faced pace
Cons
short breaks
Good place for work
UX Designer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2015
Nice culture. Good work life balance.
I only do a short time UX/UI internship there, it's not a long time, but I felt good.
Hard to Move UP
Patient Information Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaApril 7, 2015
UPMC is not to bad to work for, however it is hard to move up in the Company unless you are related to someone higher up. Hours are not bad, it is nice to not work nights or weeekends. The pay is not great at all and the benefits are not the best as well. Also it it unfair to have been hired for one office but forced to travel with out travel pay until recently.
Pros
PTO
Cons
Hard to move up, Have to use PTO for Sick Days
Patient Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2015
Awesome experience in the health care. Very healthy environment. Wonderful Staff and communication with other workers. Good Pay for the amount of work I do. Excellent Benefits package.
Choose anywhere else
Children's Hospital Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh,PAMarch 26, 2015
Turnover is incredibly high for a reason. The pay is lower than you would receive working anywhere else. The only point in working here is to gain experience to move on to a better company.
Pros
Very little is expected of you.
Cons
Very little is given to you.
Great first research job
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaMarch 25, 2015
This was a terrific start to a research career. I enjoy working with a great team that is there to help and educate other fellow coworkers.
Progressive Healthcare IDN
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 25, 2015
UPMC was an organization that was constantly transforming and looking into the future of healthcare. The organization was not only focused on delivering the right care at the right time, but the finance division was filled with top talent. Not only did they focus on the financial stability of the organization, but they also valued talent management, development, recognition and retention.
Pros
Exceptional Leadership