UPMC

UPMC Employer Reviews

Great Work Environment
Associate Contract Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: room for advancement
Cons: pressure cooker
Although employees are under a lot of pressure, the door of upper management was always open for new ideas on how make improvements.
Excellent place to work
Clinical Data Manager (Former Employee), PittsburghMarch 27, 2014
Pros: very good benefits, friendly atmosphere
Cons: modest salary
I started my career as a research assistant through UPMC and after 2 years management required all staff to be transferred to University of Pittsburgh, my job description and duties remained the same.
Rewarding place to work
Contact Center Specialist II (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 25, 2014
The job is demanding, but the reward is satisfying the patient's needs in getting an appointment with their desired physician in a timely manner.
Warehouse cranberry
High School Teacher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2014
Pros: hahaha what pros??
Cons: no cons, good company! just kidding. people knowing you work for upmc
Where to start. I'll begin with, I spent 2yrs at the cranberry distribution center. When I first started, I was grateful to land a job at such a notable company in Pittsburgh, PA. I had high hopes and dreams that I could finally accomplish. Life was great, just got married. Finally my in-laws loved me, my father in-law even called me "son" with a smile.

My – more... schedule was suppose to start at 9am to 5pm. Well, on my first day I started at 9am, for some reason I did not leave till 12am. Maybe it was a holiday rush I told myself. This went on for weeks, way passed any American Holiday. With a 12+hr work day, every day and a monitored 30 minute lunch break. I began to question my sanity with this company. Management was rude,ignorant, anti-social in so many ways and possibly less than 2 brain cells away from being legally mentally handicapped. This went on during my entire tenure with this company. It almost costed me my marriage.

After putting up with this garbage. I landed a job that payed me 3 times more than UPMC did. I even do LESS THAN HALF the work I do now than I did. UPMC starts their guys off at 10.10 an hr for the garbage work they give you. If you are borderline homeless..wait no...just stay homeless. Dont even apply. Can thank me later. I should of wised up early on, than stick 2yrs of my life working for peanuts. Just to put it plainly. When I was a young boy, I watched my dog get run over by a car. I had that dog for many year, he was my best friend. But the worst time of my life was signing my application to work for UPMC. – less
Very busy work environment
Advanced Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: knowledge gained
Cons: inability to progress higher without a multiyear degree and the raises were terrible.
A typical day was go from the start. Average patient flow was an average of 130 to 170 patients per 24 hours. I learned many valuable skills and life lessons while being employed in the ED. The Management team was good but not helpful at times within the Department during hectic times. They also were faster to point a finger than pat a back. The hardest – more... part of the job for me were the uncooperative people. The best part was helping people in their hour of need or their loved one. The true heart felt appreciation was the greatest part. To know that sometimes you can make a difference. – less
Productive Doctor's Office at Upmc Magee Women's Hospital
Patient Information Coordinator/ Scheduler (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PaMarch 21, 2014
Scheduling appointments for patients with proper doctors and locations for multiple departments, registering patients, taking copays, answering phones, use of MS programs, charge entry, knowledge of Medical Terminology, use of electronic mail.
RN Staff Nurse-Outpatient Procedural Pain Clinic (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2014
Co-workers were the best part of the job. Fast paced. Need to be able to juggle competing demands.
Learning environment with great opportunities
Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Aide (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 18, 2014
Variety of co-workers who all were helpful, encouraging, kind. I learned an incredible amount about patient care and treatment of the patients themselves, as well as their families. A typical day at work involved assisting the physical and occupational therapists with their daily duties, and any other duties that they assigned to me. These duties included – more... assisting patients with a list of exercises, transportation of patients to and from room, treatment of patients with heat packs or ice packs, and other attendance to the patient. There were also duties that involved the maintenance of the sterilization of the physical therapy gym in order to minimize any chance of infection from patient to patient. – less
Stressful, Disrespectful, and Rude
Transporter (Current Employee), PittsburghMarch 16, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: poor management, 30 minuters lunch break, no two 15 minutes break if worked 8 hrs, disrespectful doctors and nurses, walking for 7.5 hrs straight
I'm a transporter at UPMC Presbyterian and it is by far the worst job I ever had! The job itself is great because I get a chance to help the patients. Co-workers some are okay, but a lot of them don't do any work. They sleep in lockeroom almost their whole shift, hide out in an area call "The Trap" and take forever if you need an assist and some will – more... not speak to you at all. Training if you want to call it that, you will be trained by another co-worker that's been there for about 6 months of more and it's only one week that you need to know this whole hospital including Monterfiore. They will lie to you during your interview about this being a great department to work for. The supervisors all are ex transporters with little to no management experience or education. It's the blind leading the blind. Good employees get written up and fired while they keep the bad employees. If I was you look for a job elsewhere. – less
Mixed Bag
Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2014
Pros: pto builds fast, health benefits were great
Cons: corporate propoganda was insulting in its transparency.
I worked at UPMC in 4 different positions. Only the corporate policies and communications were similar between them, so do not let someone tell you what all of UPMC is like based on one position.
HEAD HONCHO (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 5, 2014
You can block out neighbors while taking very little yard space. Thuja Green Giants grow in a uniform shape and height. You get that classic French Renaissance look without having to prune or shear.

In fact, you don't have to do anything to them. They're drought tolerant and have no significant insect or disease problems.

You'll never have to worry – more... about mixing chemicals or spraying these trees. Not prone to deer or bagworm problems.

This is a tough tree. Resists ice and snow damage. Grows in almost any soil, even sandy loam or heavy clays. Prefers direct sunlight, but also does well in partial shade.

The Thuja Green Giant is the perfect fast growing evergreen for a privacy hedge or wind screen. Plant one every 5-6 feet and they quickly create a dense barrier.

You can easily trim them once a year to your desired height. Left unpruned, Thuja Green Giants planted in rows can reach as high as 20-30 feet.

Your Thuja foliage stays soft & thick all year long. – less
Hardworking employees that are challenged to learn
Financial Assistance Coordinator (Current Employee), Southside Pittsburgh, PAMarch 4, 2014
A typical day at UPMC is not typical. The area in which I work in the revenue cycle is fast paced and always evolving. Management urges employees to have versatile skills and training. I have learned many things about hospital billing and collecting practices and that patient care doesn't stop when the patient is discharged from any facility. It is – more... ongoing up the resolution of the account. The most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job is to help people and see the difference it makes to go the extra mile. The hardest part is when you are unable to meet the request of the patients due to circumstances or policy restraints. – less
Great people and management
Research Assistant + Student Nursing Assitant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: disrespectful hr policies
Not much to complain about. During my time working in patient at Western Psych, my co-workers were great. The policies put forth toward Student Nursing Assistants like myself however were disrespectful. We weren't given overtime or holiday pay and we were usually stuck working overnight on weekends.
UPMC
PC Consultant Intermediate/ (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2014
I enjoy working for UPMC They have given me the opportunity to start out and grow in the IT industry.
disorganized
Location Supervisor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2014
I enjoyed my time at UPMC but they do not really have a clear vision and plans to get there on a departmental level.
largest employer in Western Pennsylvania
System Analyst - Lead (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: 10 billion dollar corporation
Cons: annual layoffs
Worked on daily issues along with your assigned tasks. Learned something new everyday.
Top heavy management at UPMC.
Co-workers where great to work with.
Resolving problems at 2am in the morning and only given a 30 minute resolution window.
The people I worked with and the users.
great experience
Medical Assistant Specialist (Current Employee), Mount Oliver, PAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: free parking nice co workers
Cons: large employee co pays for dr. visits
Fast paced day. Stayed on my feet but it made the day go fast. I loved my co workers we got along like family. The management was good. I dont think there was a hardest part of the day it mostly went smooth. I really enjoy working in the office.
Surgical Pathology Coder - review, code, & process all day.
Medical Coder 1 (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: very repetitive and tedious at times. no happiness with management.
You were required to review, code, and process as many claims per day as possible (250-300). You really had no time to interact with co-workers besides lunch/break. This wasn't a position that you could talk to someone while working.
Innovative, challenging, and productive working enviroment.
Medicaid Outreach Specialist/Bilingual CSR (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2014
My time at UPMC I will cherish. My management team was exceptional and my peers were phenomenal. I learned different facets within the healthcare industry and was able to flourish in my positions within UPMC.
Busy, stressful, horrible managers
Front office (Current Employee), PittsburghFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: no weekend hours
Cons: management (all)
Title says it all, which is very unfortunate because UPMC could be a great place to work but they don't really care about their employees.

About UPMC

UPMC is a $10 billion global health enterprise with more than 55,000 employees headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., and is transforming – Read more