UPMC Employee Reviews in United States

Pittsburgh- ping pong table
Administrative Assistant - Neurology Department (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 24, 2016
Woman own- Non-profits which is great in itself!! I way's giving back to the community! I loved working in oAKLAND! They have a awesome website read more on them!
Pros
COMPUTE
Cons
NO FREE LUNCH - CHARGED YOU FOR EVERYTHING
sad
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 21, 2016
not very friend, doesn't treat staff well at all, but I worked for a upmc doctors office not the hospital.
They are not understanding at all in no type of way.
If your a mediacl asst you might as well be the garbage man when you work for Marybeth Benet.
One Busy day
Director Level Salary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2016
Each day is extremely demanding and fast paced. I experienced no downtime. Eating through lunches and working longer hours. I enjoyed it though. Most of the people were fantastic. There are many younger inexperienced managers that don't always make the best decisions leaving employees underneath them at some risk.

I learned much about financial analysis and dealing with corporate issues. The culture is a bit rough as endless rumors about job losses go on an on. I have done much to innovate and increase my productivity but in the case of my manager, this was frowned upon because they fear what they don't understand...change.

A typical day would be running weekly reports,answering questions, looking to fix or find missed bills on a daily basis. I would also be working on some larger projects with many interruptions. I loved the challenge! I also did a lot of work in Access which I also really enjoyed.

UPMC also offers a pension that is invested at a bank rate of interest. I don't understand why they do this because bank interest cannot come close to inflation. I wish they would at least invest the money in TIP funds.
Pros
Challenge, lots of work to be done
Cons
Layoffs
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, PAJanuary 18, 2016
Goal driven, and time consuming while working with several other talented people in the IT work place. Requires a lot of background in the IT and computer industry. Must have a good knowledge of computer and tech skills.
i loved shadyside
Advanced Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2016
I loved working at Shadyside hospital! if I could go back I would! co workers were amazing, management and supervisors were awesome! UPMC has taught me so much in relevance to my job.
Rewarding career if trained correctly
office assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 31, 2015
This is a fast pace environment with wonderful nursing staff. If you want a rewarding career in patient care this is the place to work. Management however needs to be part of the team more with assuring that his front office staff is trained correctly. Your trainer needs to pay more attention to detail instead of just getting someone to fill the chair. This is close quarters when working and staff needs to remain professional instead of gossiping. The hardest part of the job is seeing patients deteriorate when they come in with such hope. The most enjoyable part of the job is the patient. They are appreciative of everything that you do for them.
Pros
Good pay and holidays
Cons
poor training
Wonderful and Supportive
On-Site Health Coaching Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 15, 2015
I spent most of my days shadowing health coaches and creative projects that the on-site health coaches may use in the future. I learned how to better communicate with members of the UPMC health plan using our individual health and wellness programs and also grew experienced with team work.
Fun Customer job working with kids
Patient Information Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2015
I would typically start my day in the registration booths at children's hospital. We would see anywhere from 400 to 700 patients a day. I would verify the patient demographics with the patients and make any changes if necessary. I collect any necessary copays and tell the patients where their appointments are located. I would then usually after about an hour go to a check out clinic where I would make any follow up appointments for the patients when they would leave. I had about 30 people in my department and I enjoy working with them. I love working with the kids
Pros
4 weeks of vacation time
Cons
there wasn't always enough help
Less than average
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Seneca, PADecember 12, 2015
My time at UPMC was than ideal. I am trying to say this tastefully and give an honest review without damamging UPMC's name.

I will sart by daying that the pay scale is very low for clinical staff including laboratory personnel, housekeeping, CNA's, PCT's, RN's Dr.'d and PA's. I really cannot think of a position that offers a genuine and relliable package for non-corporate workers.

Atmosphere can be great for a first-time job out of college and gaining experience.

The balance of shift work is difficult. It's like a roller coaster. A true example of my shifts for a week were as follows:

M-1:30 pm-10-pm
T-11am-7:30 pm
W-Off
Th8-430
F-130pm-10pm
S-5am-130 pm

There also is a an issue with management and HR. Another example of time here is the issue of working your way up form Casual/Per Diem to PT or FT.

When I applied for a PT position, I was offered the position and accepted under the condition that I did not disclose this with my coworkers. It didn't take long for the coworkers to find out. My supervisor, after a year, still has not adressed the other applicants/coworkers with the fact that I received this position.

UPMC allow many call off with no coverage, so there are many stressful days where youa re short handed and management does not bother to fill in.

Other issues include racking up over 100+ hours of vacation and not being able to use them because not enough people are trained to do your position, there is no coverage, or your low man on the totem pole.

We have had a lot of employees retire and unfortunately UPMC does not hire new ones.
  more... We cannot afford to replace them. Therefore we are forced to pick up the extra responsibilities without the proper knowledge, education, or training to do the job correctly.

Also, coworkers re not held to the same standard as one another. Coworkers are not reprimanded when they become hostile and argue with one another.

Choose wisely when coming to UPMC.

I have several friend who work at other UPMC hospitals, Doctor's offices, and nursing homes and these issues are all present and relevent at these instituions. We think that these situation are the true culture of working for UPMC.
Pros
Tuition assitance
Cons
Benefits, pay, work-life balance, poor management, shifts
Upmc it
Operating Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 4, 2015
I work in a higher IT setting, and find it to be a great setting for learning, growth and training opportunities. It is a fine place to create a lifelong career, as seen by the lifers on my team and around me - 15-25 years is the average time at UPMC here.
Pros
Excellent Training opportunities, Understanding manager, health plan and Short Term Disability
Cons
none in the 2+ years I have been here
N/a
Senior Revenue Cycle Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 1, 2015
Advancement opportunities with great management and some brilliant people. You have to be ready to work extremely hard (50 or 60+ hours a week).
As expected
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  pittsburghNovember 17, 2015
UPMC may not match the median expected salary within the area of Western PA, but the resources and tools provided, along with the ability to grow is worth the lack of dollar signs
It'a living
Certfied Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2015
Hospital is very busy and difficult place to work. Nursing home can have some very difficult (personality wise) long term patients.Large staff in hospital all type of people - good and bad. Small staff in nursing home - worked with a good bunch of people. Respiratory managers were great and supportive.
Pros
Severance pay rexeived for 12 weeks
Cons
Closed the department suddenly
Productive workplace with friendly employees
janitorial (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PANovember 10, 2015
A typical day is usually fast paced i learned the fastest way possible to do my job my co-workers were very friendly the hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with everything and the most enjoyable part was the satisfaction of a job well done
Great work experience, poor working environment
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2015
My time at UPMC has provided me with great clinical experience. The drawback is the lack of job support from the supervisor level to HR and higher management. It is disappointing to work for a health care company that does not support the well-being of their employees. At UPMC, in any lower level position, you are a number.
First job as RN
RN/Graduate Nurse (Former Employee) –  McKeesport, PANovember 5, 2015
Orientation was done very well. Learned quite a bit while employed here. Co workers were absolutely wonderful, cannot speak highly enough of them.
Productive Cutting Edge Environment
Director Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 2, 2015
UPMC was a great place to work. The environment was on the move. It was a very corporate environment with an extremely talented HR team. Had it not been so far from my home I would not have looked elsewhere.
Pros
Excellent environment of teamwork
Cons
Cost or parking and distance from my home.
Very good work hours, large & successful company
Purchasing Assistant/Accounting (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2015
I loved working @UPMC. Work was steady and enjoyable. I had a lot of friends as co-workers. Very professional environment. Always room to learn and improve your skills. Loved to help the patients and make sure that I order the necessities for surgeries. It was very hard when the company restructured and our department was eliminated.
Pros
Large company, great benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Our entire department was eliminated and we lost our jobs
Very poor management structure
Systems Analyst, Intermediate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2015
This was the first time in my career I had worked in an application development environment, so I had a lot to learn. I was hired to administer the 55 servers that they used in the development of the Identity Management System (IMS). This required me to do day to day administration of the application and web servers, promote any changes (bug fixes, etc.) to the Test system for testing, and then promote any final changes to the production system. I worked with the developers to troubleshoot issues with the IMS system or the servers by providing them with log files, etc. I learned how to read C# source code and how to administer .NET Framework. I learned how to write simple SQL queries. I worked with the other IT departments in UPMC on a daily basis (server team, Linux support, network security, Exchange support, Citrix support, SQL/Oracle support, etc.).
Pros
Flexible schedule, generous vacation time, work from home one day a week.
Cons
Very poor management structure, major projects were not planned properly, many managers that should not have been managers.
modern offices
Staff Technologist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 26, 2015
The staff and physicians were very kind and considerate of the patients they cared for. Clean and modern facilities. Appoints were easy to obtain.
Pros
steady work