UPMC

UPMC Employee Reviews

its work
Senior Account Representative (Current Employee), pittsburghJanuary 22, 2015
same stuff in every office i look at a computer all day and process claims and try to collect money
Really no longer medical or patient based ! All about big business with the motto you can be replaced by someone cheaper !
surgical tech / registered nurse (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: learning from surgeons
Cons: the management at the ambulatory surgery center at shadyside hospital
The ambulatory surgery center in Shadyside hospital is ran by awful management that treats their staff with disrespect . You are not aloud to have a voice and your not aloud to question anything . Also it says daylight m-f they forgot to mention that you could and will be there at least 2-3 nights a week from 6:30a- 6,7,8,9 pm . With only one 30 min lunch break.

I worked there for years.At first it's great until you learn that UPMC does NOT care about their employees ( by paying them well or by positive reinforcement) or the patients(constantly cutting back on supplies and charge terribly higher prices than most health care providers and insurance carriers) ! They do however care about the money they put in their pockets .
There are two sides to every coin... and every company.
Information Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: salary, benefits, perks, shuttles, decent food, ect
Cons: pretty much everything else.
When I first accepted my position with UPMC, I was elated. Being one of the largest employers in Pittsburgh, as well as Southwestern Pennsylvania in general, there were a lot of facets to look forward to. As an entry-level employee, I enjoyed a decent salary, excellent benefits, awesome perks, and paid training.

When you start, you get to go to two introductory meetings "Beginnings" and I can't quite remember what they called the other. The first day, you learn all about UPMC. You're in a large room with every type of new employee, from environmental services to physicians. They play games to help you learn useless knowledge about the company that you will never use again, and you can get some free UPMC merchandise for answering questions correctly. You get to mix and mingle, but chances are, you will never see those people again. You get your fancy-schmancy UPMC photo badge, and you will hate it.. but you're stuck with it. Don't lose it either, you'll have to pay $15 for a replacement.

From those larger meeting days, you'll go to your facility, be it a doctors office or hospital. After a few days of facility specific meetings, you'll be shipped to your brand new department/area! You'll slowly train with people who detest their jobs and you'll only learn half of what you actually need to. I'm not sure about other departments, but I know that my supervisor/manager/higher-up person was pretty much a ghost. You'll need to ask a question or want to clarify something, and you'll get a generalized answer that is as vague as your trainers, if you're lucky enough to get a reply at – more... all. The management is a whole other can of worms, but I'll get to that later.

Within a few weeks, your training will be deemed complete even though you will still have questions daily. That's normal. Your excitement will fade quickly as you fall into a humdrum monotony, a vicious repeating cycle. You'll learn to cut corners to be more efficient, but it'll only make more work for you later.

Gossip is rampant. Do not get involved. Keep to yourself. Do not offer up any information that you wouldn't want your whole department knowing, because if you divulge personal information and it makes for good 'water-cooler talk', it'll quickly make it's rounds, evolving from an innocent statement to a rumor laden expletive. You think you'll be able to trust people, but as my title says... there's two sides to every coin, as well as company and its people.

I quickly mastered my position, and I quickly began to dread going to work. People will attempt to sabotage you just because they don't like the way you do things, or just don't like you in general. You'll try to take your concerns to your supervisor, and they'll brush you off and advise you to work it out with your peer. I did my job and I did it well. I took more responsibilities, hours, and stress. Once your 8, 10, 12 hours are up... you'll be sprinting out of the door.

Management, or lack thereof, was my absolute biggest issue. They would always keep in contact via e-mail, but it was a rarity to see their faces or sit down and address concerns. I was so disappointed in the management. I felt like the didn't care about me and my coworkers. I was another number. I wanted to grow with the company, evolve my skills, and work my way up to a managerial role. Unfortunately, due to mismanagement, I was not able to realize my full potential. Everybody is out for themselves. There is no camaraderie. Somebody will be nice to your face on your way out, and you turn around to get something you forgot --- your name is already in their mouth and usually accompanied by a negative or derogatory comment. I tried to defend at first, but quickly learned that's the way to get a target on your own back. You may have two or three coworkers that you truly get along with, and if you're lucky, you may get a friend out of it.

Turnover rates are extremely high. There's always somebody new and it will always affect your work because you're too busy trying to do your job and assist the new person. Those qualified to train will pass them off to those who are still fairly new themselves so they have less responsibility. When this occurs, it's a domino effect, and the other departments screech to a halt because that well-oiled machine now has a broken screw or nut. But, there's always one or two of those in each department.

UPMC will terminate/eliminate your position without batting an eye. All of your dedication, hard work, and positive work ethic would all be for naught. I watched too many friends lose their jobs because of restructuring or there's just not a need for that position.... and yet, they were short staffed to begin with!! Luckily enough for me, I escaped before they could disrupt my life, but don't expect them to make it easy for you. They'll try to keep your hard-earned PTO, they'll make you pay hundreds of dollars more if you want to keep your insurance, and trying to get a hold of HR is trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I know a few people that have had excellent experiences with UPMC, and it may be the employer for you.. but be warned, you'll be wearing a smile on your face and a metaphorical knife in your hand if you want to get anywhere. To my facility, department, and management - thanks for teaching me that I'm worth so much more than what you paid me. My sanity was not worth the mental angst and anguish I experienced. I wish you all nothing but the best, but part of me hopes that you, too, will experience the pessimistic pain that is constantly being deceived and used.

Best of luck to you, job searcher. I sincerely hope you have a better experience than I had. – less
Great Benefits and Career Opportunities
Team Lead, Outreach & Marketing Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: tuition advance perk
There is a place for everyone whether you have a career specialty or you are open to new career opportunities throughout the system. You will never get bored, if you do just transfer or get promoted to another position.
Good place to work, team is great.
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 9, 2015
Working with providers, nurses and administrator to make the EMR a better system. Have learned a ton about project management and EMR systems. Co-workers are great and easy to work with.
Ambulatory eRecord team is a great group of people that all work together for a common goal.
Senior Manager/Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flexible work agreement (telecommuting options), flexibility, great team to work wtih, room to grow within upmc, great cafeteria on first floor, semi-secure parking lot, parking is relatively not too expensive.
Cons: cons: not much room for growth on the team, promotion path is a long one, not many opportunities for certification, same group of people get put on the corporate "visible" projects.
The large EpicCare team at UPMC is one of the finest group of people I've ever had the opportunity to work with. Everyone works together to meet all deadlines and complete projects within budget. Recent restructure in the department took a serious toll on morale within the team. More work, less time, less people to it. Manager shifts, new structures, less manager availability.
So far so good, just not for me
Systems Analyst Intermediate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 30, 2014
Pros: on the job learning
Waaay different culture than what I'm used to. Maybe it's a Pittsburgh thing, where people are comfortable in their positions, and stay there for years, and years. I have peers 20+ years my elder.

Everyone in this group seems to have a good balance though. Work your 8 hours and go home.
Lab Tech that did not fit in
Lab Technician I (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 16, 2014
Pros: healthcare
Cons: only their healthcare offered.
I found this to be very stressful in my life. The amount of people that say they are not in cliques are and make it hard for a new person to work there. Many spoke down and used teenager talk to tell you something you did wrong. The approach to employees was not friendly as you felt you were under fire.
A Great Start on Your Career
Trauma and General Surgery Unit Coordinator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2014
UPMC was a great place to learn the hospital and clinical life. Trauma and General Surgery is fast paced working environment that teaches great communication, improves on leadership qualities, learned about new tele-communicating systems, and embarked on a journey of never ending issues, complications, and safety questions that needed to be resolved.
Great group of doctors
Medical Assistant Back Office (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 10, 2014
My first job out of school. loved the doctors and staff. really nice place to work
Decent Company to Work For
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2014
Great team mates. Good benefits.
Work life balance could use some improvement
patient access
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee), pittsburgh,paNovember 13, 2014
I work 8-430 everyday. Deal with patients , demographics, scheduleing, administrative work all day.
Good work environment.
Payroll Representative (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2014
Laid back and easy people to work with, but would like to work with people more in my age range. Most people are helpful, but some keep to themselves.
team players
monitor transporter tech (Former Employee), pittsburgh paNovember 12, 2014
the most enjoyable part of the how we work together as a team.
Large Healthcare Provider Centered in Western PA
Data Governance Lead Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 27, 2014
Pros: good benefits, fair wages, lots of opportunity to find find your niche without leaving a company
Cons: if you are not the hot topic you may not get the attention your project should. constant change
Implementing Data Governance is still not a science, although it is get there. UPMC is working to lead in this effort. If you are looking for a place to help establish this UPMC is for you.
Good team members
warehouse worker (Current Employee), Warrendale, PAOctober 27, 2014
Alot of work to get accomplished, plenty of overtime available.
Great learning experience about the health field
Environmental service aide (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 20, 2014
UPMC gave me great hands on experience to learn about the ins and outs of the health field. I was able to see what the day to day operations of a hospital entails. From seeing doctors work in the Emergency Room, to seeing nurses care for short to long term patients. To see how families cope with seeing their loved ones recover from short to long term illnesses. UPMC was a family environment who values their employees
Networking
Credentialing Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh PAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: obtain knowledge of all providers
Cons: no room for advancement
Process a Provider Application that would like to see UPMC Members. No 2 applications are the same.
Rehab work was interesting and co-workers the best!
Rehab Team Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 14, 2014
As a rehab assistant I had to check all the therapist DAR's for accuracy. I learned to use several different programs to access these files. The managers were wonderful, helpful and easy to work with. My co-workers were the best...we hit it off immediately. The hardest part of the job was getting the copier to scan correctly without pulling doubles of papers through. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the therapists and the fact that my co-workers were outstanding.
Needs a major change in management philosophy
Research Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: great benefits, semi-competitive pay, wonderful coworkers
Cons: poor management, short staffing, negative environment
As far as compensation and benefits, it's almost impossible to beat UPMC. However, those benefits come at a high personal cost.

While most of the lower-level employees are great to work with and the work experience with the patients is very rewarding, poor management makes for a toxic environment.

There are a few fantastic managers, but unfortunately they either don't stay with the company for long or are not permitted to hold management positions for very long. The prevailing management philosophy is flawed and could not be farther from the "dignity and respect" campaign that is supposedly held in such high regard.

If you're a salaried employee, be prepared to be worked like a dog. The expectation is that UPMC comes first, family comes second, and good luck with anything else. 50 hour and even 60 hour weeks are not unheard of and in some departments there's an expectation that even when you work a M-F job, you'll be there on the weekends as well. Also, it's not uncommon to be wholly trained by lower-level employees. In my tenure with the company, I've only been trained by one manager. In some cases, the manager is not at all familiar with the computer applications and job functions that keep the department afloat - that responsibility falls to the lower-level employees. Needless to say this causes a lot of difficulty when it comes to efficiency and productivity and leaves the door open for misunderstandings and mistakes.

As for dignity and respect, they're little more than buzzwords at UPMC and not the culture. I've seen employees pressured for personal information unrelated – more... to work, I've seen managers divulge private information regarding health or personal matters without the employee's consent. Worst of all, I've seen employees under financial hardship shamed by name at meetings for not making monetary donations to certain fundraising campaigns. I've worked for several departments and these issues are present almost universally across the board from the lowest level of management to some of the highest levels of management. It's not an isolated issue, it's a problem with the overall management culture.

The bottom line is this: If your top priorities are compensation and benefits, you can't beat UPMC. If a positive and supportive work environment where you feel that your contributions are valued and a good work/life balance are key to your employment search, look elsewhere. – less

About UPMC

UPMC is one of the leading nonprofit health systems in the United States. A $10 billion integrated global health enterprise headquartered – Read more

UPMC Salaries