UPMC

UPMC Employee Reviews

You're just a worker ant
Surgical Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee), PittsburghMarch 3, 2015
Pros: insurance, education reimbursement
Cons: terrible management, inadequate pay
The company doesn't really value their employees. They believe that everyone is dispensable so they treat them with no respect. The job pays the bills so you cant complain but its just not a great place to work.
Nuclear Cardiology
Systems Analyst Associate-ISD PC Break Fix (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 2, 2015
Executive support for Nuclear Cardiology Scheduling. (Cardiac Stress Tests)
Generated daily test results for patient, and Medical Records
Scheduler of the Starlz Renal Transplant Clinic for two research physicians
Contacted patients regarding patient visits, instructions, and mailed information packets
Grand Rounds Coordinator for Cardiology
Responsible for coordinating travel arrangements, Itinerary, newsletters, and
Expense A/R&A/P
UPMC is a Level 1 trauma and teaching facility. Very large and extremely busy and crowded
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: i'm sorry, i really can't think of any
Cons: not a very "user friendly" place to begin a career, intimidating and overwhelming, does not practice the type of patient centered care that i would want for myself or a loved one.
UPMC was an "ok" place to work. Having just graduated from my Surgical Tech program, UPMC was probably not the best choice of hospitals in which to start my career. There are an inordinate amount of people and it was very easy to get lost in the shuffle. I was pretty much thrown into just about every procedure imaginable, with little to no previous experience aside from my internship while in school. – more... There was not much time or patience from the staff to help acclimate me to the institution, let alone the procedures and the way they wanted them done. I heard it said, by more than a few people at UPMC that it's either "sink or swim" and "see one, do one, teach one." This may be an intelligent approach for someone who has been a Surgical Tech for longer than a few months, but very overwhelming and intimidating to someone just starting out their career. Because of this, as one would imagine, I was very uncomfortable and wasn't able to develop and utilize my skills as quickly as I would have liked. Due to this, and the atmosphere in which I was working, I never felt that I was able to give the type and quality of patient centered care I would have liked to have provided my patients. But I did learn a lot about the different procedures and did gain more confidence because, well, I was forced to. When I left UPMC, I felt fairly sure of myself and my skills and was subsequently able to apply what I learned in the "boot camp" that is UPMC. Having been at UPMC and then working at another facility, to my surprise and relief, I found that I had gained more confidence and much more experience than I had anticipated. Because of those experiences, I was able to take a position at another Level 1 trauma facility with no problems and with a lot more confidence. – less
Great for gaining experience
Research Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2015
Great for learning information about research and gaining needed experience to further education. Great for individuals considering applying to doctorate programs.
A great place to learn and be challenged!
Crisis Clinician Supervisor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2015
I have learned a great deal from working at UPMC. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting the consumers where they are at and assisting them at their most vulnerable moments. It is a gift and I am grateful to be a part of it.
Not bad, but not great
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2015
It is a bit of a grind, but the benefits are pretty good. Good salary, and awesome health, dental, and vision. I would not want to be here forever.
Coworkers and doctors were nice to work for.
Patient Information Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: working with co-workers and doctors
Cons: late hours.
I would check in/out patient in the orthopedic deparment. Check all patients information, collected co-pay's, made new charts, entered charges for doctor visits, and made new appointments. Made bank deposits, answered phones, pulled charts for next day appointments.
WPIC Mental Health Workers: great, resilient staff, but under appreciated and under compensated
Therapist (Former Employee), WPIC: IDD and Autism FloorJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: staff, doctors
Cons: schedule, 'corporate' overlords, low pay for the extreme physical and mental strain
There was hardly ever a dull day when I worked at WPIC on the Merck floor, so if you want an environment where you will gain many stories that would gross out the average folk, this is the place for you. There is great camaraderie among the MTs, PCAs and SNAs and usually the nurses too, so that helps make it a manageable place to work day by day.

As an MT you try to run therapeutic groups, but there – more... are often patients of many different intellectual levels, so mainly we tried to keep everybody as entertained and safe as possible. It is a rewarding population to work with; when simple things like going a full day without a patient smearing feces on you or the wall is something to celebrate, your life view shifts. There are patients that are hilarious, adorable, endearing and terrifying. Many are there on that floor because they are aggressive, so you will definitely dodge some fists, get scratched, bit and maybe even a concussion. You were on camera 24/7 too, which could be helpful when an incident goes down, but could also be nerve racking in that you could not make a mistake in how you react when being attacked. (I feel like I can empathize and understand the dilemma for cops and body cams).

For an MT the pay was a bit below ok, but for PCAs and SNAs, who deal with all the same physical and emotional demands but just didn't run groups or have bachelor degrees, the pay was ridiculously low. They were the most under compensated and under appreciated by the management although the doctors and directors were usually pretty respectful. They were often a bit unrealistic about what was possible to do with patients on a day to day basis too, which was frustrating. The schedule was rough since the floor had to be staffed 24/7. Doing swing shifts, and never having any consistency in your work life is tough (especially at the low pay rate, we got half as much as nurses but yet were on the floor providing direct care the entire shift). They could be flexible and take class schedules into account, but sometimes it seems like the scheduler forgot certain days that were requested off. (I will admit scheduling must have been a nightmare though, I would not want that job). At least overtime was well compensated, but that leads to emotional burn out and staff often want to stay strong and not admit that they are feeling that.

The staff are beautiful, strong people who risk life and limb because they are compassionate towards patients with low intellectual functioning and autism. Basically there should be a whole other set of rules, regulations, policies and pay system for the Merck unit at WPIC. Probably this is the case for each different population at WPIC. The extremes that exist between all the different populations in WPIC should be reflected in the policies and pay. UPMC is a huge, well off conglomerate that can afford to treat their mental health workers more than easily replaceable pawns. It would probably help the high turn over rate too which would benefit them in the long run too. – less
Great co-workers and doctors
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Greenville, PAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workers and doctors
Cons: making me travel long distance when needed to cover
I learned how to operate more medical equipment (PFT's). My day started off preparing the rooms before the doctor arrives and making sure the first patient is ready.
I enjoyed questioning the doctor as to medical treatment that they might have done that I never heard of. I enjoy learning new information that may further my career.
small, yet effecient place to work with job security
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: no micro management, short commute, hour long lunch.
Cons: no room for advancement
Working within UPMC was a steady typical day at work, with the differences of working for a numerous physicians and acting as a liason when a physician was unavailable. I learned to be more patient with interaction with patients from the teachings that I gained working with different entities of healthcare. I've always was a go getter and a self starter with little or no supervision, but when I realized – more... and was told that I could actually run the practice I knew that I have overcome my challenge. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I meet so many people that made me to work at my best to be trustworthy of them that I was recommended to speak to when patients would contact the office. The most enjoyable part was that I learned so much. My main entity was working with Neurology. I understand so much now and am so grateful that I was chosen from a number of others to work within that group. – less
I love working here.
Patient Information Coordinator (Current Employee), Wexford, PAJanuary 26, 2015
It is a great thing when you love your workplace, and I certainly love mine.
The patients are wonderful and the staff, is always supportive and team minded.
My management team are my greatest advocates, who support my growth and overall job improvement.
its work
Senior Account Representative (Current Employee), pittsburghJanuary 22, 2015
same stuff in every office i look at a computer all day and process claims and try to collect money
Really no longer medical or patient based ! All about big business with the motto you can be replaced by someone cheaper !
surgical tech / registered nurse (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: learning from surgeons
Cons: the management at the ambulatory surgery center at shadyside hospital
The ambulatory surgery center in Shadyside hospital is ran by awful management that treats their staff with disrespect . You are not aloud to have a voice and your not aloud to question anything . Also it says daylight m-f they forgot to mention that you could and will be there at least 2-3 nights a week from 6:30a- 6,7,8,9 pm . With only one 30 min lunch break.

I worked there for years.At first it's great until you learn that UPMC does NOT care about their employees ( by paying them well or by positive reinforcement) or the patients(constantly cutting back on supplies and charge terribly higher prices than most health care providers and insurance carriers) ! They do however care about the money they put in their pockets .
There are two sides to every coin... and every company.
Information Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: salary, benefits, perks, shuttles, decent food, ect
Cons: pretty much everything else.
When I first accepted my position with UPMC, I was elated. Being one of the largest employers in Pittsburgh, as well as Southwestern Pennsylvania in general, there were a lot of facets to look forward to. As an entry-level employee, I enjoyed a decent salary, excellent benefits, awesome perks, and paid training.

When you start, you get to go to two introductory meetings "Beginnings" and I can't quite – more... remember what they called the other. The first day, you learn all about UPMC. You're in a large room with every type of new employee, from environmental services to physicians. They play games to help you learn useless knowledge about the company that you will never use again, and you can get some free UPMC merchandise for answering questions correctly. You get to mix and mingle, but chances are, you will never see those people again. You get your fancy-schmancy UPMC photo badge, and you will hate it.. but you're stuck with it. Don't lose it either, you'll have to pay $15 for a replacement.

From those larger meeting days, you'll go to your facility, be it a doctors office or hospital. After a few days of facility specific meetings, you'll be shipped to your brand new department/area! You'll slowly train with people who detest their jobs and you'll only learn half of what you actually need to. I'm not sure about other departments, but I know that my supervisor/manager/higher-up person was pretty much a ghost. You'll need to ask a question or want to clarify something, and you'll get a generalized answer that is as vague as your trainers, if you're lucky enough to get a reply at all. The management is a whole other can of worms, but I'll get to that later.

Within a few weeks, your training will be deemed complete even though you will still have questions daily. That's normal. Your excitement will fade quickly as you fall into a humdrum monotony, a vicious repeating cycle. You'll learn to cut corners to be more efficient, but it'll only make more work for you later.

Gossip is rampant. Do not get involved. Keep to yourself. Do not offer up any information that you wouldn't want your whole department knowing, because if you divulge personal information and it makes for good 'water-cooler talk', it'll quickly make it's rounds, evolving from an innocent statement to a rumor laden expletive. You think you'll be able to trust people, but as my title says... there's two sides to every coin, as well as company and its people.

I quickly mastered my position, and I quickly began to dread going to work. People will attempt to sabotage you just because they don't like the way you do things, or just don't like you in general. You'll try to take your concerns to your supervisor, and they'll brush you off and advise you to work it out with your peer. I did my job and I did it well. I took more responsibilities, hours, and stress. Once your 8, 10, 12 hours are up... you'll be sprinting out of the door.

Management, or lack thereof, was my absolute biggest issue. They would always keep in contact via e-mail, but it was a rarity to see their faces or sit down and address concerns. I was so disappointed in the management. I felt like the didn't care about me and my coworkers. I was another number. I wanted to grow with the company, evolve my skills, and work my way up to a managerial role. Unfortunately, due to mismanagement, I was not able to realize my full potential. Everybody is out for themselves. There is no camaraderie. Somebody will be nice to your face on your way out, and you turn around to get something you forgot --- your name is already in their mouth and usually accompanied by a negative or derogatory comment. I tried to defend at first, but quickly learned that's the way to get a target on your own back. You may have two or three coworkers that you truly get along with, and if you're lucky, you may get a friend out of it.

Turnover rates are extremely high. There's always somebody new and it will always affect your work because you're too busy trying to do your job and assist the new person. Those qualified to train will pass them off to those who are still fairly new themselves so they have less responsibility. When this occurs, it's a domino effect, and the other departments screech to a halt because that well-oiled machine now has a broken screw or nut. But, there's always one or two of those in each department.

UPMC will terminate/eliminate your position without batting an eye. All of your dedication, hard work, and positive work ethic would all be for naught. I watched too many friends lose their jobs because of restructuring or there's just not a need for that position.... and yet, they were short staffed to begin with!! Luckily enough for me, I escaped before they could disrupt my life, but don't expect them to make it easy for you. They'll try to keep your hard-earned PTO, they'll make you pay hundreds of dollars more if you want to keep your insurance, and trying to get a hold of HR is trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I know a few people that have had excellent experiences with UPMC, and it may be the employer for you.. but be warned, you'll be wearing a smile on your face and a metaphorical knife in your hand if you want to get anywhere. To my facility, department, and management - thanks for teaching me that I'm worth so much more than what you paid me. My sanity was not worth the mental angst and anguish I experienced. I wish you all nothing but the best, but part of me hopes that you, too, will experience the pessimistic pain that is constantly being deceived and used.

Best of luck to you, job searcher. I sincerely hope you have a better experience than I had. – less
Great Benefits and Career Opportunities
Team Lead, Outreach & Marketing Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: tuition advance perk
There is a place for everyone whether you have a career specialty or you are open to new career opportunities throughout the system. You will never get bored, if you do just transfer or get promoted to another position.
Good place to work, team is great.
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 9, 2015
Working with providers, nurses and administrator to make the EMR a better system. Have learned a ton about project management and EMR systems. Co-workers are great and easy to work with.
Ambulatory eRecord team is a great group of people that all work together for a common goal.
Senior Manager/Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flexible work agreement (telecommuting options), flexibility, great team to work wtih, room to grow within upmc, great cafeteria on first floor, semi-secure parking lot, parking is relatively not too expensive.
Cons: cons: not much room for growth on the team, promotion path is a long one, not many opportunities for certification, same group of people get put on the corporate "visible" projects.
The large EpicCare team at UPMC is one of the finest group of people I've ever had the opportunity to work with. Everyone works together to meet all deadlines and complete projects within budget. Recent restructure in the department took a serious toll on morale within the team. More work, less time, less people to it. Manager shifts, new structures, less manager availability.
So far so good, just not for me
Systems Analyst Intermediate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 30, 2014
Pros: on the job learning
Waaay different culture than what I'm used to. Maybe it's a Pittsburgh thing, where people are comfortable in their positions, and stay there for years, and years. I have peers 20+ years my elder.

Everyone in this group seems to have a good balance though. Work your 8 hours and go home.
Lab Tech that did not fit in
Lab Technician I (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 16, 2014
Pros: healthcare
Cons: only their healthcare offered.
I found this to be very stressful in my life. The amount of people that say they are not in cliques are and make it hard for a new person to work there. Many spoke down and used teenager talk to tell you something you did wrong. The approach to employees was not friendly as you felt you were under fire.
A Great Start on Your Career
Trauma and General Surgery Unit Coordinator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2014
UPMC was a great place to learn the hospital and clinical life. Trauma and General Surgery is fast paced working environment that teaches great communication, improves on leadership qualities, learned about new tele-communicating systems, and embarked on a journey of never ending issues, complications, and safety questions that needed to be resolved.

About UPMC

UPMC is one of the leading nonprofit health systems in the United States. A $10 billion integrated global health enterprise headquartered – Read more

UPMC Salaries