UPMC Employee Reviews

Excellent patient centered care-flexible for working Moms/Dads!
RN CM (Current Employee) –  Home Nursing AgencyFebruary 28, 2017
Flexibility in your schedule to suit your needs while still ensuring to deliver excellent patient care. Requires time management skills. Able to have devoted 1 on 1 time with patients. Able to work independently but still have a team to help if needed.
Pros
Flexibility, every day is different!
Cons
Not for someone with poor time management.
Terrible Company to work for
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 21, 2017
This is the worst company work for. They treat everyone like terrible. they will try and make you fill lower than dirt and much more. stay away from them. there is no training offered and the management does what they want. They will talk down to all their staff.
Pros
Cons
everything
People are nice but lab is outdated
Histologist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 13, 2017
The two histologists are really great that I worked with but the histo lab is really old and outdated. The really set up is not user friendly at all. Timers on stainers go off in rooms that are unattended, some Pathologists are located far from the lab and things must be hand carried to them leaving the lab unattended, etc. It just really needs to be made more user friendly, those girls are needlessly running themselves to death!
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Outdated histo lab
Not what it seemed
Chef (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAFebruary 12, 2017
I was hired as a Chef. I have over 25 years experience but they treated me like I was some inexperienced cook. Otherwise was one of the dirtiest kitchens I have ever worked in. Poor food quality, they constantly froze and served left overs to the residents.
Pros
No late nights
Cons
Poor work environment. Not professional. Favoritism
Be Careful
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2017
I worked in a grant funded program for a number of years. I hate that I stayed as long as I did. It was a terrible environment and culture. The director did not have adequate experience for the role. The whole program suffered from gross lack of skill and experience on many levels. The work was wonderful, but the environment was so awful I had to leave. The salaries are much lower in the system as well. Do not expect to stay market competitive if you stay in the system long. They do not promote equity, despite being a very profitable organization. They claim non-profit but continue to grow and expand, but fail to pay all employees equitably. I don't respect UPMCs wage practices, but I do feel there are redeeming qualities, like good PTO and insurance. At the end of the day, I did choose to stay with the system after leaving the grant program. So far I am happy I remained with UPMC, but I remain cautious as well. If you are choosing a position at UPMC, be careful. Ask a lot of questions. Get to know the manager or leadership as much as possible before hiring. Ask about their background and experience leading teams (before their current position). Talk with real, frontline staff. Ask about turnover. Pick a healthy culture.
Pros
Insurance and PTO
Cons
Terrible wage practices, unhealthy culture, bad leadership, high turnover
Solid company, Typical big corporation environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2017
Many different fields available. Reasonable pay scale, some benefits are good, some not so good.

Dignity and respect is a big part of the rhetoric. Regular staff members work well together. Middle managers relate fairly well with employees under them as far as I've seen. Upper management is distant from the regular staff.
Pros
Offers health insurance, vacation time, and some 401K matching
Cons
Insuance is expensive to purchase and use, Raises are minimal without transfer, retirement maxes out at about 7%
upmc
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2017
The job is ok. They lie to you about how long the position is. Everything else is good though. Nice place to work with the right management
Pleasant working conditions
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2017
Flexible work schedules a plus!
Excellent benefit package
401k and savings plan
Dignity and Respect are a value of the employee experience and are a part of your employee performance review.
Cons
Parking is horrible in Oakland and downtown
Good employer
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2017
Great employer, good benefits. You have opportunities to advance if you work hard and put forth your best effort at work.
Good People To Work With
Sr. Graphic Designer - Freelance Remotely (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2017
Work was given on a schedule and most times there was time to complete it. Any questions I had were anwered ... most times very timely.
Pros
Communication is timely.
Cons
Can't think of any.
Fast pace, nice people
housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PaFebruary 1, 2017
typical work day was fast pace. Different manager all the time. Met a lot of nice people. Enjoyed working on a team. Learned a lot about leading a team. Hardest part was parking and the ride up to the hospital.
Pros
great team work
Cons
healthcare not so great
Great first clinical experience
Intern/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 31, 2017
I was an intern at UPMC in 2013 and it was a great first clinical experience. Most of my time was spent at Children's Hospital on the hematology/oncology floor. While it was a emotionally trying environment, everyone that worked on the floor and in the whole building tried their best to make clients feel welcome and important. I would recommend others to apply for a position at UPMC.
Intern
Medical Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2017
I was just an intern for 3 months. I relocated to Pittsburgh for that time just to complete my rotations. All of the employees are wonderful and I really learned a lot.
rn
not there (Former Employee) –  not thereJanuary 24, 2017
busy I have been a nurse for many years like the field work well with others cant complain too much think nurses in pa do not make enough money for how hard it is
Productive Workplace
Transporter/ Environmental Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2017
Good Workplace & Great Benefits
Average Management, Could be better overall
Enjoyable part was working with great people and meeting patients
Management is under qualified & unfriendly.
Sr. RPG Developer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2017
Management don't have a clue of what they are doing. Waste of time on guess work and wasted effort. They are covering their backs with each other's pretending they know their system but what they really are is lying to their teeth by hiding their weakness to get paid pretending others to perform their work.
Pros
Good wages.
Cons
Work environment is unfriendly and misleading.
you cant grow with upmc
Room service attendent (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2017
umpc is a good and growing company, but in my time there I encountered a lot of racism and very poor manegment. I am currently a flex full time worker so I usually never see a whole 40 hours a week. so for that reason I wish to leave this company
benefits
Cons
not enough work hours, racism
Nice place to work
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, PAJanuary 13, 2017
Nice working day and nice.Did patient care and safety and vital signs and patient moniting, patient advocacy and support. Participartes in charting, ording and receiving supplies.
Expect a high patient load with little to no help
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PADecember 9, 2016
Fill the beds and cut the staff is UPMC's bottom line. Expect a patient load of 7+ with no ancillary help. Breaks are not an option either. Hopefully you can hold your bladder 12 hours!
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
No breaks, backstabbing, short staffing
Administrative Assistant
Case Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  U.S. Steel TowerDecember 5, 2016
The management at UPMC could use serious improvement. Micromanagement is one word I would best describe my current experience. Although I have been at my current position for a couple years, after transferring to another department I feel that none of my skills are valued here.
Pros
free food
Cons
management, lack of flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPMC. Our community is ready to answer.