UPMC Employee Reviews in United States

Current work
HR Consultant/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 6, 2012
 Develop plans for retention by reviewing exit interviews
 Support managers with reduction in force
 Support managers as business partner to understand system policies and procedures
 Train and develop new managers
 Support internal orientation for new hires and transfers
 Onboard training for top executives and new managers
 Develop organizational structure to create model to develop top talent
 Educate hiring managers on EEOC/Interviewing skills/Job descriptions
 Professional development of team and individuals through support, communication, coaching, and strength and opportunity identification
 Determine salary for every new hire/transfer based on internal equity analysis
 Created job postings and source top candidates/applicants for physician services
 Coached managers on behavioral interviewing and screened applicants upon hire
Very large organization
Clerical (Former Employee) –  PAJune 2, 2015
Benefits
Room for growth - very little
Able to relocate
Some employee perks
Minimum 7 days off for holidays
Employee moral
Pros
Work hours, co-workers
Cons
Benefits, Compensation low
Fun Ppeople
Clinical Support Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 9, 2016
Working with mammograms. The people are really enjoyable. The departments are very close so you get to meet and intermix with other people in different departments.
Terrible Management
Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seven FieldsSeptember 4, 2014
This was the worse place under incompetent management I have ever worked for in my 20+ years. Nurses are over worked, office staff is underpaid. The benefits are the only reason I have stayed, that and the patients and my co-workers. Nurses in management with no experience is a terrible concept. Typical day is doing the job of 2-3 people and the same expectation to complete all work in your shift. Hardest part of my job is swallowing the line of bull feed by management. The most enjoyable part are my coworkers and the patients.
Pros
patients and co-workers
Cons
no breaks, poor management
Good experience
Specialty Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 21, 2015
A good work environment but there is no opportunity for advancement and compensation is low compaired to other health systems
Pros
job security
Cons
no advancement
The job is great and I was my own boss.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 29, 2016
I was my own boss I could do what I wanted when I wanted. The owner trusted me to take care of things as they needed to be done. The hardest part of the job was getting out of bed to go to work.
Pros
Pros was being my own boss
Cons
Con was little correspondence with people
Great work experience, poor working environment
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2015
My time at UPMC has provided me with great clinical experience. The drawback is the lack of job support from the supervisor level to HR and higher management. It is disappointing to work for a health care company that does not support the well-being of their employees. At UPMC, in any lower level position, you are a number.
Pittsburgh- ping pong table
Administrative Assistant - Neurology Department (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 24, 2016
Woman own- Non-profits which is great in itself!! I way's giving back to the community! I loved working in oAKLAND! They have a awesome website read more on them!
Pros
COMPUTE
Cons
NO FREE LUNCH - CHARGED YOU FOR EVERYTHING
UPMC throws employees under the bus to save a buck
Former medical transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  UPMC Transcription ServicesOctober 6, 2013
Ten billion dollar monster UPMC outsourced 130 medical transcriptionist jobs to a company with ties to India, so they could save money. Many MTs had been with them 15, 20, 25, and 30 years, yet we got no severance package. New job pays about 30-50% less with lousy benefits. They threw us away without hesitation, that's how much they care about their employees. Be careful if you go to work for them. The only thing UPMC cares about is money -- theirs.
Pros
dedicated staff, good people in the trenches.
Cons
upper management & disgraceful ceo don't care about the real workers.
A caring work environment who welcomes everybody, and endorses a safe, non-hostile work environment
Advanced Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  McCandless, PaApril 29, 2013
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Passavant Hospital has been, and continues to be an invaluable work experience. It, like every work place has it's issues, but when approached properly though the correct chain, issues are quickly resolved as best as they can be.
UPMC's compensation is known to be lower than other healthcare system's in the city, however, the medical benefits around outstanding (after a $35,000 appendectomy, I was only responsible for $500), and the education benefits are outstanding, also.

Overall, the only reason why I'm trying to leave UPMC is because I I want to move to Chicago, it's a great healthcare system, and a great employer.
Hard work pays off here.
CS (Current Employee) –  PittsburghSeptember 29, 2012
I started working for UPMC last year, before my probation period was up (6 months probation). I had already been given a promotion. The atmosphere, management and employees make it feel as if I'm not going to work but to a friend's party minus the alcohol. We joke around, talk ect. Management buys lunch here and there. Co-workers will chip in from time to time for pizza or to a sandwich shop nearby.

I do not work inside any hospitals, I work for corporate. I do however travel to hospitals in pittsburgh/oakland ect. What a game changer, I swear I get stared down the minute i walk threw the door. Not even a hello from some staff inside these hospitals. I notice a lot of disgruntled people...geez.. Went into an authorized only area with-in presby and one nurse practically yelled in my face saying I shouldn't be here. Then again, I was in an area I was authorized to be in not her. That made for a short conversation after I explained who I was and what I was doing. Not even an apology afterwards.. Just a quick stare down and walked away.
Pros
benefits, pay, management, co-workers and pto
Cons
on few occasions, leaving my department to deal with disgruntled members of another facility.
Wonderful experience
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2016
The department I worked in was full of amazing, dedicated people that displayed compassion to the patients they served!
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Parking
sad
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 21, 2016
not very friend, doesn't treat staff well at all, but I worked for a upmc doctors office not the hospital.
They are not understanding at all in no type of way.
If your a mediacl asst you might as well be the garbage man when you work for Marybeth Benet.
Loved working with UPMC
Professional Perioperative Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 2, 2016
UPMC is a teaching hospital. I learned a lot. There are many growth opportunities. Unfortunately, pay is not great at all.
Offers many opportunities
Systems Analyst Intermediate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 4, 2015
UPMC is company that offers many opportunities to grow and build a career. They also offer excellent benefits. My experience with UPMC was a positive career experience.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, PAJanuary 18, 2016
Goal driven, and time consuming while working with several other talented people in the IT work place. Requires a lot of background in the IT and computer industry. Must have a good knowledge of computer and tech skills.
Wonderful and Supportive
On-Site Health Coaching Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 15, 2015
I spent most of my days shadowing health coaches and creative projects that the on-site health coaches may use in the future. I learned how to better communicate with members of the UPMC health plan using our individual health and wellness programs and also grew experienced with team work.
Patient Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2015
Awesome experience in the health care. Very healthy environment. Wonderful Staff and communication with other workers. Good Pay for the amount of work I do. Excellent Benefits package.
Stressful
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2015
Stressful work environment that will run you into the ground if you allow. Treated like a number and expected to drop everything for your job when you should not even be working. Bad benefits for a health care organization.
Great opportunities
PATIENT INFORMATION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2015
I enjoy working for UPMC. There are many opportunities available to advance in your career. There are locations all over PA so transferring to a different location is possible.