UPMC

UPMC Employee Reviews

Great group of doctors
Medical Assistant Back Office (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 10, 2014
My first job out of school. loved the doctors and staff. really nice place to work
Decent Company to Work For
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2014
Great team mates. Good benefits.
Work life balance could use some improvement
patient access
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee), pittsburgh,paNovember 13, 2014
I work 8-430 everyday. Deal with patients , demographics, scheduleing, administrative work all day.
Good work environment.
Payroll Representative (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2014
Laid back and easy people to work with, but would like to work with people more in my age range. Most people are helpful, but some keep to themselves.
team players
monitor transporter tech (Former Employee), pittsburgh paNovember 12, 2014
the most enjoyable part of the how we work together as a team.
Large Healthcare Provider Centered in Western PA
Data Governance Lead Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 27, 2014
Pros: good benefits, fair wages, lots of opportunity to find find your niche without leaving a company
Cons: if you are not the hot topic you may not get the attention your project should. constant change
Implementing Data Governance is still not a science, although it is get there. UPMC is working to lead in this effort. If you are looking for a place to help establish this UPMC is for you.
Good team members
warehouse worker (Current Employee), Warrendale, PAOctober 27, 2014
Alot of work to get accomplished, plenty of overtime available.
Great learning experience about the health field
Environmental service aide (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 20, 2014
UPMC gave me great hands on experience to learn about the ins and outs of the health field. I was able to see what the day to day operations of a hospital entails. From seeing doctors work in the Emergency Room, to seeing nurses care for short to long term patients. To see how families cope with seeing their loved ones recover from short to long term illnesses. UPMC was a family environment who values their employees
Networking
Credentialing Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh PAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: obtain knowledge of all providers
Cons: no room for advancement
Process a Provider Application that would like to see UPMC Members. No 2 applications are the same.
Rehab work was interesting and co-workers the best!
Rehab Team Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 14, 2014
As a rehab assistant I had to check all the therapist DAR's for accuracy. I learned to use several different programs to access these files. The managers were wonderful, helpful and easy to work with. My co-workers were the best...we hit it off immediately. The hardest part of the job was getting the copier to scan correctly without pulling doubles of papers through. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the therapists and the fact that my co-workers were outstanding.
Needs a major change in management philosophy
Research Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: great benefits, semi-competitive pay, wonderful coworkers
Cons: poor management, short staffing, negative environment
As far as compensation and benefits, it's almost impossible to beat UPMC. However, those benefits come at a high personal cost.

While most of the lower-level employees are great to work with and the work experience with the patients is very rewarding, poor management makes for a toxic environment.

There are a few fantastic managers, but unfortunately they either don't stay with the company for long or are not permitted to hold management positions for very long. The prevailing management philosophy is flawed and could not be farther from the "dignity and respect" campaign that is supposedly held in such high regard.

If you're a salaried employee, be prepared to be worked like a dog. The expectation is that UPMC comes first, family comes second, and good luck with anything else. 50 hour and even 60 hour weeks are not unheard of and in some departments there's an expectation that even when you work a M-F job, you'll be there on the weekends as well. Also, it's not uncommon to be wholly trained by lower-level employees. In my tenure with the company, I've only been trained by one manager. In some cases, the manager is not at all familiar with the computer applications and job functions that keep the department afloat - that responsibility falls to the lower-level employees. Needless to say this causes a lot of difficulty when it comes to efficiency and productivity and leaves the door open for misunderstandings and mistakes.

As for dignity and respect, they're little more than buzzwords at UPMC and not the culture. I've seen employees pressured for personal information unrelated – more... to work, I've seen managers divulge private information regarding health or personal matters without the employee's consent. Worst of all, I've seen employees under financial hardship shamed by name at meetings for not making monetary donations to certain fundraising campaigns. I've worked for several departments and these issues are present almost universally across the board from the lowest level of management to some of the highest levels of management. It's not an isolated issue, it's a problem with the overall management culture.

The bottom line is this: If your top priorities are compensation and benefits, you can't beat UPMC. If a positive and supportive work environment where you feel that your contributions are valued and a good work/life balance are key to your employment search, look elsewhere. – less
Productive workplace
Case manager 2 (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2014
Enjoyed working with clients and coworkers. There isn't a typical day at work due to crisis that could happen at anytime. Enjoyed working with transitional age clients
Solid experience for 19 years
Director, Enterprise Technology Services (Former Employee), Oakland - Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: my wonderful coworkers and project management work
Cons: executive management did not always provide full backing when promised.
As a Director in IT, I had 6 teams reporting to me with approximately 50 FTEs. I had great relationships with all of my direct reports and their staff members. I encouraged training and enhancing their skill sets to continue advancing in their careers. My staff members were very loyal to me, and I was fully up to date and engaged in all of their duties all the while giving them the space they needed to run their individual areas. I am a strong believer in premium customer service and this was represented throughout my department. I attended several daily meetings with every job level from managers (and their staff) all the way up through Senior Executive Management, including the CFO of UPMC.

I was deeply involved in cost savings efforts and took the initiative to start projects to improve current processes in place as well as bring new ideas to the table. I had very good relationships with my peers and still do to this day. I was often given challenged and failing projects at UPMC to rebuild and turn into successful and rewarding programs for the UPMC enterprise. I thoroughly enjoyed the project management work in which me and my teams could observe current situations, analyze data, revise processes and put our hard work into action to see them become valuable and useful assets.

I learned so much in my 17+ years at UPMC. I worked every position from Operator to Operations Engineer to Project Manager all the way up to Director. I take great pride in my work and strive to achieve my goals so I can truly feel accomplished with the work I've completed each and every day. I have – more... a strong work ethic, and I am aggressive with any task given to me. I had a wonderful mentor (my Direct VP) that taught me so key skills in management. I honor what I have learned today and apply them to my everyday life. I am extremely loyal and work hard for what I believe in, even if challenge and need to prove my standing on a situation. At the same time, I am very reasonable and can listen to my coworker's point of view and look for common ground.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my managers and their staff happy in their jobs and proud of the work they do and getting recognized for it. – less
Strong Collaboration
Professional Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2014
I was privileged to have had the opportunity to work in a unit that was very supportive and knowledgable in the care they were providing. The staff for which I worked with were skilled and willing to be a true patient advocate. The most enjoyable part of the job were the staff amongst the team, physicians, nurses, nursing assistants, and other ancillary staff. Another enjoyable part of working within this team was of seeing positive patient outcomes and excellent care be a culture among the unit. The hardest part of the job was having enough time to complete every task exactly on time. At times we had a shortage of staff, so that had made it challenging to give the quality of care I wanted to.
Credentialing Coordinator
Credentialing Coordinator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: non encouragment to advance within departments
Daily data entry, verifying docuents needed for insurance payors to process claim for provider. I deal with about 50 insurance payors on a daily basis. I am responsible for new hires to be linked to the insurance payors in a timely manner with their date of hire.
Productive well centered work place
Patient Care Tech (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: i get to take complete control on my fathers healthcare
Cons: home more, but hes my father and he comes first
A typical work day for me is taking care of my ill father with the help of my mother and sister.
So with the help from them is giving me an opportunity to go back out to the work place.
It was a great place to work!
Office Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 26, 2014
It was a typical job- it had its perks but it could be challenging at times. Overall UPMC was a fantastic place to work and it was nice to work in an environment that was striving to provide excellent care to its patients.
Fulfilling work experience
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee), US Steel Tower, Pittsburgh, PA 15219September 26, 2014
Pros: always looking for a better way to process information, good compensation package
Cons: long work hours the beginning of each month
A typical work day included account analysis, financial preparation and review, application review for current updates. I learned the importance of optimizing my time to complete various tasks and projects in a timely and accurate manner. The management team was instrumental in providing guidance with systemwide initiatives. The co-workers were competent in working towards a final product each month. The hardest part of the job, was also the most enjoyable - finding the most efficient way to process monthly information for a two day month-end close.
Good opportunity for employment
Cold/Hot Cook, Nutritionist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: great pay, good hours, and an quick learning experience
A typical day consist of prep work.Therefore after you start you part of your assignment which will leave you batching cooking which isnt bad at all. also if you finish early I usually help other with their work if they need a extra hand. As far as management they can have there good day n bad one but overall they're good people. Sometime the hard part of the day is find space to place all your hot items when everyone cooking but then you have a efficient amount of time to get everything done the time frame.
Loved my clients and coworkers
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee), McKeesportSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: close to home, wonderful coworkers, enjoyed the population that i served.
Cons: no advancement opportunities, poor management
My day would start with a report of all consumers. My coworkers and I would identify any issues and brainstorm on how to deal with them in the most positive and productive manner. We would also identify strengths and work to foster those. The best part of the job was having one on one time with consumers. The worst part of the job was knowing that the management would not take in to considerate any ideas or suggestions to improve the workplace. The number one suggestion being safety. I learned so much from this job that it would be difficult to list it all. I think what I learned the most was how to get information from people that would allow me to do my job to the best of my ability.

About UPMC

UPMC is one of the leading nonprofit health systems in the United States. A $10 billion integrated global health enterprise headquartered – Read more

UPMC Salaries