UPMC

UPMC Employer Reviews

Fun work place
Data Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2014
Everyone seems to get along. Job gets done even with a relaxed environment
Healthcare
Equipment Planner (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2014
Quality and team driven to provide excellent results for patients, families, healthcare workers and hospital visitors. We strive to make safety our top priority for all stakeholders.
If you can avoid UPMC do it!
Central Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Presby and Montefiore in Pittsburgh, PAApril 6, 2014
Pros: the pay was not bad, extra pay for working a holiday
Cons: the hot decontam room especially in summer, short staffed when the hospital was at 100% capacity, no overtime so supervisor can look good!
Central Supply Specialist: The job sounds glamorous.BUT IT IS NOT. You'l find out in the HOT decontam--when you're about to pass out. Listen: Don't drink the UPMC kool-aid! Especially if Ryan Beaver is serving it.

You'll start off with weekends off and maybe for a month or two then you'll lose them. You'll have to give up holidays .....You'll lose – more... everything you came to care about --but Central Supply will still flourish.

Make sure you have a college education too----well that's ok you can work on it while in Central because you don't have to work hard all the time.

Avoid it if you can--that 11.00 just isn't worth it. Central Supply is one of those jobs that you don't get .50cents after 60 months. – less

May 10, 2014

you will give your life and they will just take it--and drain you. Harrassed and fired from UPMC and now they are fighting my RIGHT to unemployment. BE CAREFUL ---Document everything---BE YOUR OWN UNION REPRESENTATIVE!!!! ****UPMC WON'T ALLOW ONE AND WILL SCREW YOU ANY WHICH WAY THEY CAN AND WILL!!!****

I enjoyed my time at UPMC
Rehabilitation Aide (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2014
UPMC is a very well none healthcare organization and I am proud to have worked for them.
understaffed and underpaid
Lead Surgical Instrument Tech/OR Desk (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 30, 2014
Worked night shift in the Operating Room supervising a crew of 3. I set up rooms when Emergency Room or CORE called to needing a table opened.
productive
Senior Living Seneca Place (Former Employee), Verona, PAMarch 28, 2014
great at muti tasking, easy going, always makes sure the tables are ready for next guest
Great Work Environment
Associate Contract Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: room for advancement
Cons: pressure cooker
Although employees are under a lot of pressure, the door of upper management was always open for new ideas on how make improvements.
Excellent place to work
Clinical Data Manager (Former Employee), PittsburghMarch 27, 2014
Pros: very good benefits, friendly atmosphere
Cons: modest salary
I started my career as a research assistant through UPMC and after 2 years management required all staff to be transferred to University of Pittsburgh, my job description and duties remained the same.
Rewarding place to work
Contact Center Specialist II (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 25, 2014
The job is demanding, but the reward is satisfying the patient's needs in getting an appointment with their desired physician in a timely manner.
Warehouse cranberry
High School Teacher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2014
Pros: hahaha what pros??
Cons: no cons, good company! just kidding. people knowing you work for upmc
Where to start. I'll begin with, I spent 2yrs at the cranberry distribution center. When I first started, I was grateful to land a job at such a notable company in Pittsburgh, PA. I had high hopes and dreams that I could finally accomplish. Life was great, just got married. Finally my in-laws loved me, my father in-law even called me "son" with a smile.

My – more... schedule was suppose to start at 9am to 5pm. Well, on my first day I started at 9am, for some reason I did not leave till 12am. Maybe it was a holiday rush I told myself. This went on for weeks, way passed any American Holiday. With a 12+hr work day, every day and a monitored 30 minute lunch break. I began to question my sanity with this company. Management was rude,ignorant, anti-social in so many ways and possibly less than 2 brain cells away from being legally mentally handicapped. This went on during my entire tenure with this company. It almost costed me my marriage.

After putting up with this garbage. I landed a job that payed me 3 times more than UPMC did. I even do LESS THAN HALF the work I do now than I did. UPMC starts their guys off at 10.10 an hr for the garbage work they give you. If you are borderline homeless..wait no...just stay homeless. Dont even apply. Can thank me later. I should of wised up early on, than stick 2yrs of my life working for peanuts. Just to put it plainly. When I was a young boy, I watched my dog get run over by a car. I had that dog for many year, he was my best friend. But the worst time of my life was signing my application to work for UPMC. – less
Very busy work environment
Advanced Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: knowledge gained
Cons: inability to progress higher without a multiyear degree and the raises were terrible.
A typical day was go from the start. Average patient flow was an average of 130 to 170 patients per 24 hours. I learned many valuable skills and life lessons while being employed in the ED. The Management team was good but not helpful at times within the Department during hectic times. They also were faster to point a finger than pat a back. The hardest – more... part of the job for me were the uncooperative people. The best part was helping people in their hour of need or their loved one. The true heart felt appreciation was the greatest part. To know that sometimes you can make a difference. – less
Productive Doctor's Office at Upmc Magee Women's Hospital
Patient Information Coordinator/ Scheduler (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PaMarch 21, 2014
Scheduling appointments for patients with proper doctors and locations for multiple departments, registering patients, taking copays, answering phones, use of MS programs, charge entry, knowledge of Medical Terminology, use of electronic mail.
RN Staff Nurse-Outpatient Procedural Pain Clinic (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2014
Co-workers were the best part of the job. Fast paced. Need to be able to juggle competing demands.
Learning environment with great opportunities
Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Aide (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 18, 2014
Variety of co-workers who all were helpful, encouraging, kind. I learned an incredible amount about patient care and treatment of the patients themselves, as well as their families. A typical day at work involved assisting the physical and occupational therapists with their daily duties, and any other duties that they assigned to me. These duties included – more... assisting patients with a list of exercises, transportation of patients to and from room, treatment of patients with heat packs or ice packs, and other attendance to the patient. There were also duties that involved the maintenance of the sterilization of the physical therapy gym in order to minimize any chance of infection from patient to patient. – less
Stressful, Disrespectful, and Rude
Transporter (Current Employee), PittsburghMarch 16, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: poor management, 30 minuters lunch break, no two 15 minutes break if worked 8 hrs, disrespectful doctors and nurses, walking for 7.5 hrs straight
I'm a transporter at UPMC Presbyterian and it is by far the worst job I ever had! The job itself is great because I get a chance to help the patients. Co-workers some are okay, but a lot of them don't do any work. They sleep in lockeroom almost their whole shift, hide out in an area call "The Trap" and take forever if you need an assist and some will – more... not speak to you at all. Training if you want to call it that, you will be trained by another co-worker that's been there for about 6 months of more and it's only one week that you need to know this whole hospital including Monterfiore. They will lie to you during your interview about this being a great department to work for. The supervisors all are ex transporters with little to no management experience or education. It's the blind leading the blind. Good employees get written up and fired while they keep the bad employees. If I was you look for a job elsewhere. – less
Mixed Bag
Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2014
Pros: pto builds fast, health benefits were great
Cons: corporate propoganda was insulting in its transparency.
I worked at UPMC in 4 different positions. Only the corporate policies and communications were similar between them, so do not let someone tell you what all of UPMC is like based on one position.
HEAD HONCHO (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 5, 2014
You can block out neighbors while taking very little yard space. Thuja Green Giants grow in a uniform shape and height. You get that classic French Renaissance look without having to prune or shear.

In fact, you don't have to do anything to them. They're drought tolerant and have no significant insect or disease problems.

You'll never have to worry – more... about mixing chemicals or spraying these trees. Not prone to deer or bagworm problems.

This is a tough tree. Resists ice and snow damage. Grows in almost any soil, even sandy loam or heavy clays. Prefers direct sunlight, but also does well in partial shade.

The Thuja Green Giant is the perfect fast growing evergreen for a privacy hedge or wind screen. Plant one every 5-6 feet and they quickly create a dense barrier.

You can easily trim them once a year to your desired height. Left unpruned, Thuja Green Giants planted in rows can reach as high as 20-30 feet.

Your Thuja foliage stays soft & thick all year long. – less
Hardworking employees that are challenged to learn
Financial Assistance Coordinator (Current Employee), Southside Pittsburgh, PAMarch 4, 2014
A typical day at UPMC is not typical. The area in which I work in the revenue cycle is fast paced and always evolving. Management urges employees to have versatile skills and training. I have learned many things about hospital billing and collecting practices and that patient care doesn't stop when the patient is discharged from any facility. It is – more... ongoing up the resolution of the account. The most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job is to help people and see the difference it makes to go the extra mile. The hardest part is when you are unable to meet the request of the patients due to circumstances or policy restraints. – less
Great people and management
Research Assistant + Student Nursing Assitant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: disrespectful hr policies
Not much to complain about. During my time working in patient at Western Psych, my co-workers were great. The policies put forth toward Student Nursing Assistants like myself however were disrespectful. We weren't given overtime or holiday pay and we were usually stuck working overnight on weekends.
UPMC
PC Consultant Intermediate/ (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2014
I enjoy working for UPMC They have given me the opportunity to start out and grow in the IT industry.

About UPMC

UPMC is a $10 billion global health enterprise with more than 55,000 employees headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., and is transforming – Read more