UPMC

UPMC Employer Reviews

Great job for a college/high school student.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Warrendale, PAAugust 6, 2013
Pros: paid overtime.
Cons: attendance policy
Typical day at work involves filling all orders for every hospital each day. (this can include a lot of overtime). Depending if you have been chosen you also get the added responsibility of delivering products to the hospitals or operating machines.
I have learned that in a production setting, it's all about the numbers and how to improve them.

I have – more... also learned many different types of management styles.

the hardest part of the job is the monotony of picking orders.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of coworkers that you will get to work with. – less
Major healthcare provider with PA region.
Recruiter (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 6, 2013
Pros: good work environment
Cons: recent layoff/hr reorganization
24 years of HR experience in recruiting and also in employee relations. Handled many challenging area's within organization and was awarded these area's to staff due to professional experience acquired.
UPMC
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PaAugust 5, 2013
Pros: one hour lunch break
I loved working for UPMC. I worked for the company for
23 years and considered my coworkers a part of family.
The last position was in was not a right fit. I liked being a Sr. Accounts Representative and excelled in that position. I also have excellent Customer Service Skills and I am looking for a position that is full time.
over rated as an employer
Pharmacy Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 31, 2013
Great for healthcare. Professional care by clinicians who sincerely care about their patients. Treat their employees bad!!! Really Bad!!!
Employees have to pay to park in lots that are owned by UPMC. It's not cheap either.
Stressful, hostile community without any decency and/or respect for lower-tier staff
Environmental Support Services/Housekeeping (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 31, 2013
Pros: a few slow work days on the weekends and holidays.
Cons: short breaks (often interrupted, or not given), complaints about the work being left behind by other shifts, being heavily overworked without any consideration...
On a typical work day (while I was still employed here):
I've experienced several unpleasant occurrences. To make this short; it was too much work. I can handle a lot of hard work normally, but having to cover the other two shifts' work everyday, just because they've managed to slack off daily, is not a fair deal. If there have been call-offs, then – more... that's understandable, but I don't like being pulled off of my assigned schedule everyday to do someone else's work, especially while they're right there, unoccupied.
What I've learned:
I've witnessed enough hostility and discrimination here to the point that I've adapted to it; I can endure it much more effectively than I used to. It still bothers me from time to time, but that's going to happen everywhere. I just needed a change-- a new job, in a different place.
Management: In short, the management was fine. There was a bit of sloppiness when it came to arranging the shift's schedules (changes from call-offs, no-shows, tardiness, etc.) This often resulted in scattered assignments; workers in the department would unexpectedly get pulled off of their assignments, several times a day, to do something that someone absent was originally scheduled to do. When a housekeeper couldn't finish three shifts worth of work, it often resulted in a reprimand, write-up, and/or a poor work performance review.
Co-workers: I haven't had any problems with my co-workers within my department. The only troubles I've had were with a few people working in the other departments. An example would be the nurses or doctors throwing trash and bio-hazard tools (sharps, used syringe, contaminated debris) into the linen bags, or regular trash can instead of the bio-hazard (red) trash can. A few housekeepers often got stuck with these needles through the bags while pulling the trash. The ridiculous part about it, that I can recall, was when a housekeeper was asked by one of the supervisors to draw a picture of the needle...
Hardest part of the job: There were several, but the worst part, in my opinion, would be the problems of having to deal with the occasional rude, disrespectful staff and visitors, along with the backed up work from the previous shifts, or being short-staffed from absences or too many people being given vacation days within the same week.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Unfortunately, I've found no enjoyment from working at UPMC. The two-and-a-half years I've spent there felt like a punishment than a job; none of the hard work and effort was appreciated or acknowledged enough.

This was my honest review, nothing personal, nor intended for sabotaging. – less
Under paid
HIM Technician (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 28, 2013
Management was disrespectful to staff. Management treated staff as if they were children, needing to be watched all the time.
UPMC has a department dedicated to Diversity issues and yet....
Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 21, 2013
Pros: upmc has state-of- the- art medical technology
Cons: upper management unsupportive, divisive, and bias.
Racial diversity amongst UPMC's Physician Service Division/UPP is a serious problem. The representation of African American's in a Management position or higher at UPP is extremely disproportionate.

I worked for UPMC over ten years. I was a Manager at UPP during the last two years of my tenure. I was not supported by Executive Management and was treated – more... with indifference by my superiors. During that time, I was the only minority in upper management within the entire UPP division.

I went to Human Resources and my superiors to discuss serious issues going on in the workplace and came forward with how I was being treated. A short time later my employment with UPMC was ended. The most enjoyable part of working at UPMC was my staff, supportive colleagues, working with outstanding physicians and nurses. And most of all, the wonderful patient's and families that I had the opportunity to serve. – less
World-class Research Hospital
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 19, 2013
Rewarding high work load with some of the finest staff in heathcare.
Productive and supportive climate
RESEARCH PROJECT ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 17, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: local travel at times in inclimate weather
Although I am comfortable with job requirements, it is a research project that will come to an end soon.
Productive high energy work environment with lots of fun!
System Administrator (Former Employee), Corporate ServicesJuly 17, 2013
Every day we learned something new and exciting. Our director was amazing. She gave you the freedom to work on your own, but was there for you at anytime for guidance. She taught us so much and assembled such a great team. She made it a fun environment for such serious work. The hardest part was saying goodbye to all of them when our department was – more... eliminated. – less
Nice work place
Business Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 9, 2013
My co-workers are wonderful, informative, and very supportive.
Positive Place to work
Interventional Vascular Technologist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 3, 2013
Great place to work, allowed on the job training. Great teamwork
worst place I have ever worked
Health Plan employee (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 29, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: lack of professionalism
A typical day at work revolved around the mood of the managers. No consistency and no professionalism. Loads of favoritism and nepotism. The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving to go home and showering off the perpetual stink. I had to leave finding other work in my field and permanently cleanse myself of the toxic environment.
Great work atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2013
Interacting with patients and doctors on a daily basis.
Checking in and out patients
Answering phones and directing them to nurses or doctors
My managers are great to everyone, we all work together is a team and always looking out for each other
Very busy and a learning experience
Billing Analyst/EDI Department (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 27, 2013
I go in at 6:00 am and work until 2:30 pm with an hour lunch. My normal day consist of doing EDI rejections, EDI Registration Rejections and Out of Balance Edits.

I have learned a lot about the electronic claim images (ie: Loops & segments).

My Supervisor and Manager are the best to work for. I have no complaints. I get along with all my co-workers – more... and help out in any way that I can. If someone has a problem I will help. – less
upmc is wonderful place to work, but management is not fare.
Enrollment specialist II (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 27, 2013
I'm searching for a Job in Spartanburg, SC. because I want to relocate.
everyday patient care
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2013
Pros: steady schedule, benefits
Cons: not much advanement
Patient care including bathing, dressing and assistance with toileting
Great place for students to get hospital experience
Receptionist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 25, 2013
Pros: free meals, great environment
Cons: volunteer
I loved working at UPMC! At both Urgent Care and the Shadyside ER, the doctors were always willing to answer my questions and show me procedures. Highly recommended!
Rude staff
Radiology (Former Employee), PassaventJune 19, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
Worked at passavent for 3 months. Left and returned to a previous job. My co-workers were SO RUDE and unwelcoming to this day if I even step into that place the memories make me sick.
Great hospital, great people, poor management
Professional Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2013
Pros: good health insurance
Cons: poor management, very budget focused, not patient or employee centered
UPMC a healthcare leader in the area does not value its employees, particularly in the field of nursing.

About UPMC

UPMC is a $10 billion global health enterprise with more than 55,000 employees headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., and is transforming – Read more