Upper Iowa University Employee Reviews in United States

Would not recommend
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  IowaApril 2, 2016
This university needs more transparency and to remove multiple layers are management. Little to no room for advancement. Bully-type mentality/atmosphere.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management; Small town mentality
This University is hanging by a thread to stay open.
Professor (Former Employee) –  Upper Iowa University, Fayette Iowa.June 14, 2016
Do not take a job here. This University is being run by people who have NO idea what they are doing. It is the blind leading the blind in the administration and the University has been bleeding out for two to three years. Not a good life choice.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
UIU is not well run by administration, no support in the educational community around the area
Great school with a student centric environment that doesn't forget the faculty and staff.
Affiliate Instructor (Current Employee) –  OnlineDecember 23, 2015
Great place to teach. Great support and accepting environment. Easy to get involved even remotely. Students are well committed and work hard.
Weak Administration and a few hateful folks
Professor (Former Employee) –  FayetteMarch 8, 2016
While the majority of UIU employees are great the administration is extremely weak. But isn't that normal, just a few hateful folks ruin an otherwise good place.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Weak Administration and Deans
Good education; fine and productive leadership
Faculty, Undergraduate Health Care Administration (Current Employee) –  onlineApril 24, 2016
Taught there since 2008. Always satisfied. Student body elegant midwesterners. Management forward thinkers. Love it!
First Rate Online Program
Online English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAMarch 27, 2016
Upper Iowa University is an extremely professional work environment for online instructors. Assistance is immediate and student advisers work closely with online instructors to facilitate student success.
Good opportunity
Phonathon Caller (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IASeptember 28, 2015
Was a good job to have while in school, just a low level position for some extra money while in college.
I did not deal with higher-ups in the University so do not know a whole lot about all of that, but the people that I worked with were fun to be around and provided the job to be a positive experiencel
Fun Work Environment
Student Development (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAAugust 13, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the ladies and other international students. Working here was always fun and they always made me feel like family.
Hardest part of the job was smiling all the time even when I had a bad day but it always turned out well.
Pros
Great lunches, boss buys coffee on some days
Cons
No cons
Wonderful staff and faculty coworkers
Adjunct Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 16, 2015
One of the most congenial atmospheres I've ever had the chance to experience. The director is supportive of all endeavors, and the rest of the staff bends over backwards to help you out. Fellow faculty members are easy to talk to regardless of field of expertise.
Pros
Low stress environment.
Cons
I need more hours to teach.
Great learning Experice
Financial Aid Work Study (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAApril 26, 2015
A typical day was checking in with my manager to see if there is anything I can help with since I was there to assist. I was able to learn their computer systems and what it is like to work in Financial Aid. I really enjoyed working along side my co-workers.

Want to know more about Upper Iowa University?

Ask a question
Upper Iowa University
Teacher Education Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 5, 2014
I was hired as a part time teacher education coordinator assistant. A typical day at Upper Iowa was relaxed but the work was steady as directed by the Teacher Education Coordinator. I learned many things at Upper Iowa concerning the teacher education training that students must do to become a teacher. Since I went through teacher education training, the training requirements have become much more stringent. Educators are expected to do many hours of Practicums as well as student teaching. Their training is guided by the standard core requirements in the state of Iowa. Students capstone now is an entire unit after student teaching. The students are also required to attend many seminars while they student taught. New technology was always on the forefront of the training program and a new dynamic in teaching and learning in the classroom. My duties included preparing all paper work for the seminars. Informing students of their acceptance into the Teacher Education Program, as well as, preparing contracts for principals for student teaching. I also was in charge of ordering textbooks for the professors and keeping the textbooks updated.
My co-workers were of all ages and the dynamics of the office was very friendly. The admission's people worked very hard to sell Upper Iowa to prospective students and management had the job of marketing the school and managing the day to day of the office. The hardest part of the job was not being able to become more involved with the students and getting to know them on a personal basis because these were people who worked full time and had children
  more... and also trying to get their degrees. I had a great deal of respect for them and the challenges they had to confront to be educated. The most enjoyable part of the job were the hours and the flexibility of the position. Everyday was a different day and I enjoyed the various duties that were given to me by the Teacher Education Coordinator.  less
Pros
flexible, different every day
benefits
Flexible place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAJuly 17, 2014
The demands for online instructors are excessive considering the low compensation rate. But, it is an extremely flexible work environment.
Excellent self-practicing place
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IANovember 24, 2014
When I started tutoring, my teaching skill was not as good as now. I have learnt how to make my students better understand me through talking with them, and writing on the board. I have communicate with other colleague after each days work, and talked about how to better teach students. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. They assisted me many times when I just started my job there. I really appreciated their help.
Good small town job
Data Exchange Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAJanuary 2, 2014
No advancement opportunities.
Very gossipy, back-stabbing atmosphere.
Upper Iowa University
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WIDecember 5, 2014
Upper Iowa University is a respectable University. It has been a pleasure having the opportunity to teach to the students who are wanting to learn. Working with the Dean and other employee's has been a very positive experience. One of the enjoyable parts of the position is knowing the students are learning.
Pros
good location(s)
Upper Iowa Unversity
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAJanuary 9, 2015
The people you work with are great. The administration did not care about people.
Helping other students
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IADecember 3, 2012
I would go in after classes to help other students with their math homework. This taught me how to teach students different ways of learning and help them with their homework. It was always a good experience because it was nice to see the looks on other students faces when they finally figured out how to do the assignments.
A very quite community with friendly people
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAOctober 31, 2014
My experience working with the students was fine, but at times challenging
Pros
very intense
Cons
not enough time
Sports Information Services Internship
Sports Information Services Internship (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAApril 26, 2012
I reinforced my organizational and communication skills in this professional experience to become proficient in electronic devices and computer programs that will ensure success at this position.
Pros
good experience
Rewarding work environment
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKMarch 29, 2014
As a Center Director, I am responsible for the daily operations of an extended university to include admissions, financial aid, advisement, curriculum, textbook adoption, evaluations, faculty selection, budget, and all other HR related objectives.

4.3