Upper Iowa University

Upper Iowa University Employer Reviews

Flexible place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Fayette, IAJuly 17, 2014
The demands for online instructors are excessive considering the low compensation rate. But, it is an extremely flexible work environment.
Small towns not for me
Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee), Fayette IaMay 27, 2014
Enjoyed my position at UIU, worked with great people and students from all over the world.
Rewarding work environment
Center Director (Current Employee), Fort Sill, OKMarch 29, 2014
As a Center Director, I am responsible for the daily operations of an extended university to include admissions, financial aid, advisement, curriculum, textbook adoption, evaluations, faculty selection, budget, and all other HR related objectives.
Upper Iowa University
Teacher Education Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAMarch 5, 2014
Pros: flexible, different every day
Cons: benefits
I was hired as a part time teacher education coordinator assistant. A typical day at Upper Iowa was relaxed but the work was steady as directed by the Teacher Education Coordinator. I learned many things at Upper Iowa concerning the teacher education training that students must do to become a teacher. Since I went through teacher education training, – more... the training requirements have become much more stringent. Educators are expected to do many hours of Practicums as well as student teaching. Their training is guided by the standard core requirements in the state of Iowa. Students capstone now is an entire unit after student teaching. The students are also required to attend many seminars while they student taught. New technology was always on the forefront of the training program and a new dynamic in teaching and learning in the classroom. My duties included preparing all paper work for the seminars. Informing students of their acceptance into the Teacher Education Program, as well as, preparing contracts for principals for student teaching. I also was in charge of ordering textbooks for the professors and keeping the textbooks updated.
My co-workers were of all ages and the dynamics of the office was very friendly. The admission's people worked very hard to sell Upper Iowa to prospective students and management had the job of marketing the school and managing the day to day of the office. The hardest part of the job was not being able to become more involved with the students and getting to know them on a personal basis because these were people who worked full time and had children and also trying to get their degrees. I had a great deal of respect for them and the challenges they had to confront to be educated. The most enjoyable part of the job were the hours and the flexibility of the position. Everyday was a different day and I enjoyed the various duties that were given to me by the Teacher Education Coordinator. – less
Good small town job
Data Exchange Specialist (Current Employee), Fayette, IAJanuary 2, 2014
No advancement opportunities.
Very gossipy, back-stabbing atmosphere.
Career Building
Assistant to the Director of Athletics (Former Employee), Fayette, IAJuly 1, 2013
Great get away perfect place and people to take you too the top
Good environment for non-traditional students, working adults returning to college.
Parttime Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 29, 2013
Great alternative for non-traditional students. Easy access, flexible schedule, professional and helpful peers.
Fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee), Fayette, IAJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Cons: short breaks
I learned a lot about managing a group of employees and organizing events. It was a very active place to work at.
Helping other students
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Fayette, IADecember 3, 2012
I would go in after classes to help other students with their math homework. This taught me how to teach students different ways of learning and help them with their homework. It was always a good experience because it was nice to see the looks on other students faces when they finally figured out how to do the assignments.
Sports Information Services Internship
Sports Information Services Internship (Former Employee), Fayette, IAApril 26, 2012
Pros: good experience
I reinforced my organizational and communication skills in this professional experience to become proficient in electronic devices and computer programs that will ensure success at this position.
Great university
Intern-Alumni Center (Former Employee), Fayette, IAApril 12, 2012
Pros: hours
Cons: no cons
I enjoyed working at this university. I learned a lot about the initial part of getting students to come to the school. It was sales but, the product was education.
Work-study assistant in office of student development
Work-Study Assistant (Former Employee), Fayette, IowaMarch 13, 2012
I really enjoyed working with Office of Student Development employees.