Upper Manhattan Mental Health Center, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
A great place to work.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  1727 Amsterdam Ave., New York, NYMarch 2, 2017
Everyone really cares a great deal about the clients and are dedicated to meet the needs of our community. These are tough times for Non-Profits, but our supervisors and directors do a great deal to help us learn and grow despite the current political climate. I feel nurtured and cared about by the administration.
The money is not great, but I did not become a social worker to get rich. I like working with folks here who all give it their all to make sure our clients receive the best care. And I am learning more then I could at any other place.
Pros
Supportive colegues - we often hang out and have lunch together
Cons
Salary coudl be better and couidl always use mroe vacation time.
Like the job, love the kids.
One On One Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I worked at the Preschool located on the first floor. The staff here at the Preschool were really friendly and everyone seemed to get along well. The days were short but perfect for me, as it gave me more time throughout the day take care of other matters such as appointments, errands, etc.. The kids can be a bit much at times and didn't always make the job easy, but they grew on me. I loved our little graduation ceremony for the kids advancing to Kindergarten, and our field trips to the Bronx Zoo and the Aquarium were fun as well, despite the bus' lack of air conditioning on those hot summer days. If you love working with kids and/or pursuing a career in early childhood education, this place would definitely be a great starting point.
Pros
Steady schedule, friendly staff, fun to work at.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Excellent client centered organization
P/T House Manager (Current Employee) –  NY, NYJanuary 6, 2014
UMMHC services both those impacted by mental health and substance substance abuse. It is a very rewarding experience, especially for those committed to working in the helping and or human service field. Management is committed to ensuring appropriate service delivery and ensures and empowers the employees, which enables effective service delivery.
Pros
Safe and secure work environment.
Productive and Fun
Administrative Assistant/ Billing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2013
Upper Manhattan Mental Health Center is an excellent Mental Health Agency, this company has opened my eyes to the vase amount of opportunities that are available in the medical field. I have grown great love and respect for this field. The work and dedication it takes to help educated my community about mental and physical health is very rewarding at the end of each day.
Pros
excellent health benefits
Cons
small agency no room for growth
My Thoughts
West 135th Street New York, NY (Former Employee) –  secretaryNovember 5, 2011
I agree with the other commentary. Your opinion is invaluable in this organization. The director of the case management program acts like he own the organization, and treat employees under his supervision with complete disrespect. All seem to be intimidated, because he reminds them at every staff meeting that they can be easily replaced. He must know someone special because he collects salaries from two different companies within the same time slot ( I know this must be illegal) while his inferiors have not been given a salary increase for more than five years. When questioned, staffs are reminded that they should feel lucky about having a job. My question is Who is reminding him!
Cons
low salary and disrespectful superiors.
hostile work environment
Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2011
I came in with a positive approach to work with my team, and my supervisors. I had several meetings with my team to discuss management procedures, lesson plans, and progress reports. During the meetings, as well during classroom routine, I obtained resistance and disrespect towards my ideas, my educational approach, and the activities I wanted to implement to meet every child’s needs. I communicated to the Supervisor and Director verbally and in writing my concerns about having a supportive team to accomplish the school year goals, but I was ignored and disrespected. I cannot tolerate disrespect and a demeaning attitude toward my hard work ethic. I communicate and treat people with respect, I just ask for it in return. Shame on you!
Cons
long hours, hostile work environment