Upward Bound Employee Reviews

Resident Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 23, 2017
I never knew much about upward bound until my interview for this job. It's definitely time consuming for the RAs. I would think about raising there salary.
Pros
Living for free
Cons
Living conditions can be brutal, food isn't the best from the campuses we stay at, high salary for RAs
I enjoyed working with my students & seeing them daily!
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  UMASS Dartmouth, MAJune 19, 2017
The Upward Bound Program is an excellent program for students that are struggling & to keep their focus on their education. The Program focuses on field trips to local Colleges & Universities, activities and academics that are geared toward continuing their education after high school.
Pros
Field Trips to amazing Colleges & Universities
Cons
Need move Academic hours
Reccommend you enroll your child
Summer Resident Advisor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAJune 17, 2017
Working here was a blast. The kids were well behaved and the overal organization of the company is excellent. They find new was to get the students engaged in recreational activites and outdoor play for exercise. The feild trips were always educational and informative for the students' future years.
Fabulous summer job for college students from all universities
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJune 15, 2017
This is the hardest I have worked in my life, but I got to witness the payoff, which inspired me to want to invest even more of myself into this highly-empowering organization.
Pros
Food, lodging, and work merchandise provided at no coast
Cons
Highly strenuous
Interesting Learning Experience
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 8, 2017
You get a chance to meet students whether you have the high school program or the new college students program. You can teach the students things that you learn and help give them the tools that you did not have. As far as the management I did not receive proper payment and everyone seemed as if they were confused and could not do anything about it.
Amazing experience
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Aguadilla, PRJune 8, 2017
From the staff to the students its always a new experiences. The program is constantly programming activities and schools trips. The program pays for your lunch on school trips. They also provided all the materials you need for class lessons.
Pros
Paid lunch on class trips
Productive, quiet, and fun at times
Office worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2017
Here in the Upward Bound office, there are two other programs in the office. Therefore, everyone is just quiet and working on their assignments. There's not much interaction, everyone just handles their own business.
Pros
Holidays are given
Cons
Not much communication
unlv
Mentor (UNLV) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 30, 2017
A great place to be for young people. I wish I could work full time at unlv. Smiles and energy everywhere. Las Vegas is a great place to work and learn
Productive and Influential Environment
Residential Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Paxton, MAMay 30, 2017
Tutor:
working from 7am-3pm waking kids for breakfast/ in classrooms
2 hour break
dinner
7pm-10pm assisting w/ HW in study hall/co facilitate workshop

Counselor:
working 3pm-6pm playing sports and monitoring students "free time"
9pm-10pm co facilitate workshop w/ tutor
10pm-2am make sure students are preparing for bed and stay on assigned floors
Pros
Free meals, free room & board
Cons
limited free time
Productive and very welcoming environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 26, 2017
Everyday when I arrived to the Upward Bound office everyone greets you when you walk in with respect and a smile. Everyone helps out one another all you gave to do is just ask for it.
Productive, Educational, Involved
High School Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 25, 2017
At upward bound college students tutor high school students on many different subject areas. This can range from arts to sciences. The tutors are there for both technical support as well as to be there as a mentor figure.
Pros
Educational
Cons
Time scheduling
Best Job ever
Peer Counselor (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCMay 23, 2017
This is the best job that I have had so far in my life. Most enjoyable part of the job for me was to learn about all the different kids backgrounds, while also getting to share a little about myself so that I could do my job in the best possible way.
Pros
pay and all meals paid for
Great job, doing meaningful work.
Physics and Math tutor & teacher (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 23, 2017
I was fortune enough to be involved with UB as a student in high school. It is a program designed to help students better prepare for college. The program holds a two month summer program where students live at college and take high school and freshman level courses.
Pros
Great work, great pay.
Cons
Working all day long.
Great Enviornment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 23, 2017
It was a great experience I learned a lot of new things and was able to travel which made the experience even better. I got to work with a familiar staff which I consider family.
Fun workplace with excellent coworkers
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 22, 2017
Pay and scheduling was consistent with room for advancing within the company. Most employees were in college and management was also helpful with scheduling around class. Managers searched for employees that were trustworthy and respectful and always offered them to stay another year. It was great to work with the kids and management really trusted the employees, leading to a stable, healthy, positive work environment. There were also banquets and awards for the kids and employees. I loved working there and I still would if I hadn't moved away.
Pros
Well paid, opportunities to advance, excellent scheduling and pay
Cons
Role model to young students
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 22, 2017
This job is about more than just a check you get every week. It's about being that person the students can talk to outside of home. Making sure they continue to get a good education and making sure they understand that this summer camp is helping them and not hurting them.
Pros
Lived on campus, meals were provided, got to be a role model to troubled students
Cons
24/7 job for 6 weeks, had to learn how to deal with multiple attitudes and personalities
It was fun while getting to interact with the kids.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCMay 21, 2017
It an amazing summer job. I met children from different backgrounds while tutoring them and taking them to gym class. The staff was amazing and they made sure everyone was taken care of.
Life Changing Experience
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2017
I began working in Upward Bound immediately following undergrad. I had no idea what I was doing or if I was making a difference in the lives of the youth that I served. It was not until one of our annual banquets was i able to see just how significant my impact had been on the students. I listened to personal testimonies from students stating how much they appreciated me and my efforts to help them develop properly. This feedback encouraged me to become more aggressive in my efforts to make a difference.
Productive and goal oriented
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 19, 2017
Working for Upward Bound was a great experience. I was able to help srudents in home work, but also meet and encourage then to go to college. Helping them see their stregths made this job more enjoyable.
Pros
Fun and friendly environment
Cons
Low pay
Wonderful
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 12, 2017
Everyone is very friendly and the students are very well mannered. I've had a lot of opportunities to travel on field trips. I work with my coworkers very frequently and the workplace tends to be focused but relaxed. Everyday is different in terms of tutoring. You will see more than one student in a day so there is a variety of topics covered within a given subject. Seeing as a large part of the staff are students on campus, they tend to be flexible with scheduling. Since it is an after school program there are not as many hours as I would have preferred. However, I was a student and the hours allowed for enough study time which was my focus.
Pros
Environment, Field Trips
Cons
Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upward Bound. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5