Upward Bound Employee Reviews

U.B. is a fun, yet exhausting place to work. However, few jobs are more rewarding.
Tutor/Counselor, and School year tutor (Current Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIAugust 15, 2017
The Upward Bound program is a wonderful college program that provides real, effective college preparation to low income and first generation students that would otherwise find college out of reach. The program does not simply put students through rigorous tests, but also teaches them skills that will help them get hired for the jobs they want and will reach out to local high schools to insure that they are having their needs met, and that the schools are taking appropriate steps to ensure that member students are receiving the counseling and education they need to both enter, and succeed in college. Overall, it was the most rewarding job I ever had.
Pros
Rewarding, good job networking, learning to teach, service to the community.
Cons
Low pay, high requirements, no benefits for hourly employees, highly exaustive.
Productive and fun place to work
SLA (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 11, 2017
The kids are awesome, had something to do everyday. Tells ahead of time if something was going to change for the week. Parents are awesome always picked their kids up on time.
A Good Summer Opportunity to Make a Difference
Summer Institute Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2017
This is a good opportunity for those who are looking to make a difference in the lives of underprivileged students. However, it does seem that the program is still developing and the students are not well disciplined. That said, considering the students' troubled backgrounds, this was not surprising.
Ubm/s
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ada, OK 74820July 27, 2017
I love this program! The ECU Campus is a wonderful place to work that feels like home.Funding should be increased so that employees are paid better and jobs are more secure.
Volunteer
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 8, 2017
When I started working here, I was a minor, so they couldn't put me on the payroll. The environment was very nice and stress free. The director of this program was very caring and helpful.
Good program
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Juana Díaz, PRJuly 3, 2017
It's a program for high risk students which gives them the opportunity to be the first persons in their family to go to College. It's a program designed to help underprivileged students succeed.
Loves the community
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stayton, ORJune 28, 2017
The company care very deeply for the campers and parents that they serve. The organization is very community oriented and always encourages the workers to help in the community.
Great Program
Gordon State College English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Barnesville, GAJune 24, 2017
Upward Bound is an excellent program to work for. This job provides you the opportunity to expand your teaching experience. I recommend anyone to participate in this program.
Pros
Free everything
Cons
The Drive from Atlanta is far
Resident Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 23, 2017
I never knew much about upward bound until my interview for this job. It's definitely time consuming for the RAs. I would think about raising there salary.
Pros
Living for free
Cons
Living conditions can be brutal, food isn't the best from the campuses we stay at, high salary for RAs
I enjoyed working with my students & seeing them daily!
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  UMASS Dartmouth, MAJune 19, 2017
The Upward Bound Program is an excellent program for students that are struggling & to keep their focus on their education. The Program focuses on field trips to local Colleges & Universities, activities and academics that are geared toward continuing their education after high school.
Pros
Field Trips to amazing Colleges & Universities
Cons
Need move Academic hours
Reccommend you enroll your child
Summer Resident Advisor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAJune 17, 2017
Working here was a blast. The kids were well behaved and the overal organization of the company is excellent. They find new was to get the students engaged in recreational activites and outdoor play for exercise. The feild trips were always educational and informative for the students' future years.
Fabulous summer job for college students from all universities
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJune 15, 2017
This is the hardest I have worked in my life, but I got to witness the payoff, which inspired me to want to invest even more of myself into this highly-empowering organization.
Pros
Food, lodging, and work merchandise provided at no coast
Cons
Highly strenuous
Interesting Learning Experience
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 8, 2017
You get a chance to meet students whether you have the high school program or the new college students program. You can teach the students things that you learn and help give them the tools that you did not have. As far as the management I did not receive proper payment and everyone seemed as if they were confused and could not do anything about it.
Amazing experience
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Aguadilla, PRJune 8, 2017
From the staff to the students its always a new experiences. The program is constantly programming activities and schools trips. The program pays for your lunch on school trips. They also provided all the materials you need for class lessons.
Pros
Paid lunch on class trips
Productive, quiet, and fun at times
Office worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2017
Here in the Upward Bound office, there are two other programs in the office. Therefore, everyone is just quiet and working on their assignments. There's not much interaction, everyone just handles their own business.
Pros
Holidays are given
Cons
Not much communication
unlv
Mentor (UNLV) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 30, 2017
A great place to be for young people. I wish I could work full time at unlv. Smiles and energy everywhere. Las Vegas is a great place to work and learn
Productive and Influential Environment
Residential Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Paxton, MAMay 30, 2017
Tutor:
working from 7am-3pm waking kids for breakfast/ in classrooms
2 hour break
dinner
7pm-10pm assisting w/ HW in study hall/co facilitate workshop

Counselor:
working 3pm-6pm playing sports and monitoring students "free time"
9pm-10pm co facilitate workshop w/ tutor
10pm-2am make sure students are preparing for bed and stay on assigned floors
Pros
Free meals, free room & board
Cons
limited free time
Productive and very welcoming environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 26, 2017
Everyday when I arrived to the Upward Bound office everyone greets you when you walk in with respect and a smile. Everyone helps out one another all you gave to do is just ask for it.
Productive, Educational, Involved
High School Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 25, 2017
At upward bound college students tutor high school students on many different subject areas. This can range from arts to sciences. The tutors are there for both technical support as well as to be there as a mentor figure.
Pros
Educational
Cons
Time scheduling
Best Job ever
Peer Counselor (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCMay 23, 2017
This is the best job that I have had so far in my life. Most enjoyable part of the job for me was to learn about all the different kids backgrounds, while also getting to share a little about myself so that I could do my job in the best possible way.
Pros
pay and all meals paid for