Upward Bound Employee Reviews

Productive, fast-paced and fun environment to work in
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAOctober 20, 2016
Upward bound is a very fun, dynamic and fast paced environment where you're constantly planning and executing events for high school students who are transitioning into college. The benefits of working at this place are very tangible as you can see how the work we do impacts in a positive manner the lives of many students. The management at this program is friendly understanding and very flexible.
Pros
Fun and dynamic environment, great work life balance
Cons
Benefits and compensation could be better
students experiencing college while in high school
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2016
I was a student for Upward Bound during high school and was hired to work for them in summer of 2010 after graduating that summer. I enjoyed this employment, Director was very organized and loved her program. Students were exposed to the college life while taking classes for high school requirements and making life-long friends. As a alumni more programs like this should be out there.
Pros
room and board, meals, supervison of studetns, fieldtrips, and realtionships
Cons
summer job
Art Instrustor for Future
Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAJuly 5, 2016
Upward Bound, a government funded company and a program that I attended as well. It was program for underprivileged teenagers that needed to help with college. The program runs all year round, so I was attending the summer session. I had around 20 children and my class. I taught them the fundamentals of each element of art in the fine arts. Then I showed them how use technology with my graphic design background. Lastly finished with some future advancements, which was 3D printing. Overall the job was great and the kids were amazing.
productive work environment
Mentor, guide and tutor high school students (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WISeptember 28, 2016
Working with students who are the first in their families to attend college/university. Low drop out of students in the Upward Bound program. Good students to work with
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
wages not commeasurate with position
Fun environment and great coworkers
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJune 13, 2016
A typical day was waking the students up at 6 a.m., walk them to and from meals, and assist in recreation classes

I learned about the care of high school students and how to manage my personal life and work life

I managed over 100 students and a staff of eight chaperones

My coworkers were awesome and very helpful

The hardest part about the job was disciplining the students when they did wrong

The most enjoyable part about the position was the lifelong connections I made along the journey
customer service and IT for Comcast
Tutor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 12, 2016
I helped out people who were having trouble with their Comcast service, I learned a lot about how Comcast operates and the management seemed to have a handle on what they were doing. The hardest part was looking up information that I already didn't know while trying to have the customer be patient.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
not very satisfying work
TRIO/Upward Bound
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Moscow, IDJune 3, 2016
The average day is fairly relaxed, however the position requires a fair amount of traveling and may not be for the "family" individual. The greatest part about the job is helping students successfully accomplish their educational/career related goals.
Great for kids
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Itta Bena, MSAugust 18, 2016
Good place for kids to get help. Kids love to come and get help. Co workers are good people also. We our hard to help kids get good grades in school
Pros
help kids
Not a job experince
Leadership and Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Marion, INApril 24, 2016
This part of my resume is not job experience my volunteering experience that I did back in high school. Overall I enjoyed working alongside my friends that were apart of the Upward Bound programm and giving back to the community.
Pros
Fun with friends
Cons
no cons
Great!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  South AlabamaJuly 19, 2016
It is a good company to work for. The staff is really patient and knowledgeable, and the success of the students in the programs makes the job worth it.
Good Sturdy Job
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 14, 2016
Assisting high school students with all levels of math
Helping with organizing paperwork and collecting attendance
Did this for two summers in a row
Pros
fruitful
Cons
pay
Comfortable Workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2016
Mostly did all the clerical duties. The boss was very understanding with me having to work part time due to going to school full time. Flexible hours.
Pros
Holidays Off
Cons
Part time
Fun to work with young people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRApril 18, 2016
I had the experience to teach ASL to high school students. It was great to see how they learn the language. Good program to teach students to work in the streets.
Pros
many school activities as roll plays
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 22, 2016
This Job gave me an opportunity to involve myself with the youth of jacksonville fl. many students were in need of social help aswell as personal. edward waters college is a family environment and can lead to many beneficial advancements as a student being recognized by the staff.
Very relaxing
Peer Counselor (Former Employee) –  Poteau, OKApril 3, 2016
Very relaxing work environment and very understand and flexible with my schedule while I was in school. They were very personable and met executive workers on a daily basis.
Productive and enriching work environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 8, 2015
This was my first true experience teaching in a classroom environment, and I could not have asked for a better one. I worked with a number of talented, bright students as well as working for administrators who clearly cared about the education and well-being of the students. Upward Bound, a program that helps minority and low-income students get into college, is a vital program, and I'm glad that I got to be a part. It only lasted for the summer; however, should the opportunity arise, I would gladly teach for them again.
Good beginning job
Counseling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 12, 2015
Helped high school students prepare for college by helping them with pre preparatory activities such as act prep and summer courses in math and science and english
Pros
love working with teens
Cons
not a career move
Working/teaching students at NYU
Teacher/Tutor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 4, 2015
Amazing People to work with
Quite fulfilling
Tutoring students high school curriculum
Great co-workers (helpful and lively)
Director of the program is great to work with!
Pros
Manhattan area, fulfilling experience
Cons
Short time at work
Great experience
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MANovember 5, 2015
It was one of those jobs where i felt i made a tremendous impact on someones life. I worked with disadvantaged youths and i was able to guide them as best i could. It was a great opportunity for me to grow and learn many things about myself.
Working as a tutor
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  PROctober 2, 2015
Interesting place to work at. Students were different with also different difficulties and strengths which were helped through the time period. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the student had every doubt they originally brought in answered with their own capabilities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upward Bound. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5