Upward Bound

Upward Bound Employee Reviews

Pleasant, but not a structured teaching session
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Making adult help available for students to seek answers to academic subjects.
Cons: Last minute appointment cancellations.
Being available for the only purpose of answering questions robs the tutor of the opportunity to give a student a more comprehensive answer.
Effective and Fun Summer Camp
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Fayetteville, N.C.July 23, 2015
Pros: Having a positive effect on a child's life
Cons: N/A
This was a great seasonal job at Fayetteville State University. I enjoyed mentoring and serving as a role model for the male and female high school students. A typical day went as the following:
7:00am-Wake up students
7:30am-breakfast/last call
8am-12pm: Students had class/supplied tools for teachers
12pm-lunch
2pm-Computer time/study hall or P.E
5pm-Break
7pm-Dinner/ breakout session with mentors(group or individually)
10pm: Reminder about Light out
11pm: Made rounds to each door, lights out
I learned how to make every second of the day worth while with/for each student. Management was very clear and direct. If I had any questions they were handled and fairly easy to resolve.The complete experience was enjoyable for me. I love giving helping the youth and serving as a role model to perspective students.
Fun and exciting place to work
K-14 Academic Preparation Specialist (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJuly 23, 2015
I worked with them for two years and it was very demanding but very interactive and rewarding. The students are great though they require a lot of attention. The staff is big on communicating which allowed me to develop my verbal skills. The staff go out of their way to make sure the workers are taken care of.
Working with youths
Counselor Intern (Former Employee), Troy, ALJuly 15, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
• Served as a counselor for grades 9-12
• Coordinated weekly activities
• Teach various workshops to prepare them for the upcoming school year
• Answering and directing phone calls
• Taking and distributing messages
• Organizing and scheduling appointments
• Organizing and coordinating meetings
• Handling inquiries and incoming work requests
• Reviewing files and records to answer requests for information
• Checking and distributing documents and correspondence
A great program
French and Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 9, 2015
I loved being a part of a program that exuded such a passion for the future of disadvantaged students! It was a good challenge and taught be a lot about myself and my teaching ability.
Student
Internship (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Prepare for college
Cons: Hours was to short
Participated in college level classes. English, math, and science. Gained experience of being in a college environment.
Fun Work Place
Internship (Former Employee), Lawrence, MAJuly 6, 2015
Pros: The students
Upward Bound is a program like no other. A typical day at work with Upward Bound was filing papers and working behind a desk like a receptionist. I learned the importance of organization. The hardest part was dealing with the many high school students who interfered with the job but the easiest part was helping them graduate. The most enjoyable part was the high school students interfering with my work to talk to me like a counselor and how bonds were made.
This isn't an actual job, just referenced for experience only.
Senator (Former Employee), Manti, UTJune 21, 2015
Pros: Learning experience
Cons: none
It's a great way to get involved, build experience and a wonderful learning experience. Everyone is nice and is willing to work with you.
very productive and experiencing job
Holiday Program Specialist (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 17, 2015
Pros: most students graduated and advance to college like UC, Xavier
Cons: NA
• Motivated low-income students to reach their potential and encourage them to pursue college
degrees. Helped students with class work after school.
• Collaborated with other instructors to organize classroom, direct students, maintained discipline.
• Conducted workshops to educate students on good study habits and applying for college.
Fun and Productive work environment
Tutor/ Counselor (Former Employee), Pine Bluff, ARMay 20, 2015
Working with the younger students was always enjoyable. I would tutor and be a positive role model for them as well as provide a safe and comfortable environment for everyone.
This was a student worker job through UC
student employee (Former Employee), Batavia, OHMay 15, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: can't do it after college
I loved this job. Flexible, fun, worked with my school schedule. This is a job that was offered through work study. It was limited to college student experience.
Great time with the kids!
High School English Tutor (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAMay 14, 2015
The typical work day consisted on grading the student's homework and helping them become better writings during tutoring. There is a lot of time to get to know the students better during other student activities.
great experince
Activity Coordinator (Former Employee), Kilgore, TXApril 24, 2015
this afforded me the opportunity of giving back in a mentor type way. I was able to talk about college life to the next group of kids taking the path. I learned so much and was grateful to be able to inspire and encourage the next group of youth. I made great bonds with many of the students and can say many have gone to better themselves through education.
Sometimes fun, others overwhelming place.
Teacher's assistant (Former Employee), english classroomApril 14, 2015
Pros: interactions
Cons: 0 breaks
I must say that I learned a lot from these kids. Students from 9th grade to 12, made my heart melt when they came to Tutoring and told me that their teachers are not considered when they have a doubt. Some of them tried to tell me how beautiful I was, but, they later on, made everything so nice and when my leave time came, they made me a goodbye party. I still have contact with them, they are hilarious.!
Fun environment
Peer Mentor/Tutor (Current Employee), Edinburg, TXApril 14, 2015
A great place to work with many great people and students! They all help you grow, and work as a team! We would work Saturday and needed to drive from the office to the high schools we were assigned to.
Productive and fun with chances to meet great people.
Volunteer at Museum (Former Employee), Pikeveille, KYApril 6, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: None
The jobs were in four hour shifts per day usually taking place between 1:00 P.M. and 5:00 P.M. and we were assigned to work with a group of 3-4 other people. The tasks were usually straight forward with very little room for error. If you missed 3 days or performed poorly then you were fired. The best part was definitely meeting new people and working with our co-workers as a team. The most difficult part, however, was being forced to work with someone who may not have seen hings the same way as you, resulting in internal conflicts.
Good college prep program.
Student (Former Employee), Virginia Union UniversityMarch 5, 2015
Upward Bound is a great program it taught me a lot over the years that I was apart of this program, Any student interested in furthering the educational career should try to be apart of this program.
Productive and fun work environment
Mentor (Former Employee), Montclair, NJFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: helping others and fun events
Cons: not enough pay
The ability to help others and shape the outcome of there lives helped me to realize I was pursuing the right career. Was able to apply in school knowledge with real life experiences.
Personal Growth
Residential Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Irvine, CAFebruary 3, 2015
It was a good experience. Worked with high school students. Motivation was important and would need to handle unexpected situations. Stressful at times due to the workload and time investment but definitely worth it.
I love the kids.
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Reno, NVNovember 16, 2014
Basically you monitor and supervise their activities while enriching their campus experience when maintaining their safety.

1 2 3 4 5