Upward Bound Employee Reviews

It was fun while getting to interact with the kids.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCMay 21, 2017
It an amazing summer job. I met children from different backgrounds while tutoring them and taking them to gym class. The staff was amazing and they made sure everyone was taken care of.
Wonderful
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 12, 2017
Everyone is very friendly and the students are very well mannered. I've had a lot of opportunities to travel on field trips. I work with my coworkers very frequently and the workplace tends to be focused but relaxed. Everyday is different in terms of tutoring. You will see more than one student in a day so there is a variety of topics covered within a given subject. Seeing as a large part of the staff are students on campus, they tend to be flexible with scheduling. Since it is an after school program there are not as many hours as I would have preferred. However, I was a student and the hours allowed for enough study time which was my focus.
Pros
Environment, Field Trips
Cons
Hours
if making the difference in a young life matters...
Driver (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDMay 12, 2017
If you want to make a difference in the lives of America's youths, than this is the ideal job. Not only do you get to mold young minds, you get to expand your own horizons as well.
Pros
Shaping young minds
Cons
Dealing with bad attitudes
Work environment
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 10, 2017
The manager over the program is not consistent in her rules. She is very two sided and always taking the side of the wrong individuals. She lies about being there to help you and never help. The pay sucks. The money never comes on time, and the hours are long. You have to work overtime, with no pay.
Pros
Visiting different states
Cons
no breaks
awesome job
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 8, 2017
the kids are awesome. the job is awesome. the only bad thing about the job is the pay and not enough hours. if the pay was higher and more hours to work - would come back and work for them.
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough pay/hours
Upward is amazing
Assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 3, 2017
I loved working with the Upward Bound program. it was awesome i love kids so it made it even better! The bosses are awesome & of course coaching & reffing is so much fun
Pros
everything
Cons
saturday's are taken up during season
great work enviornment
Student Mentor for Summer Enrichment Program (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 27, 2017
I was really able to grow as a helping professional by having developing close relationships with the students and navigating all the things that go on in their lives.
Educational
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 17, 2017
As a work study student, this position taught me the greatness of building a career and mindset of a future go-getter. I learned the meaning of being a reliable individual for yourself as well as for your team.
Great positive environment
Upward Bound Trio Group Member (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 1, 2017
Working at Upward Bound was a good experience and a great way to meet new people and build work ethic. There were lots of group activities to help with team work and the management always did there best to assist in any way possible.
Productive and assisting workplace
Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2017
Engaged in academic instruction in mathematics, laboratory science, literature, and composition. Participated in tutoring, counseling and mentoring sessions focusing on academic
advancement and cultural enrichment.
Fun coworkers
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Good place to start working with the youth and understanding where they need help in such as college readiness and scholarship searching. Kids are sometimes unmotivated on a long saturday programming.
Pros
Working with the youth
Cons
lack of organization at many times
It was a few experience at the upward bound internship.
Builder (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 22, 2016
While working at the upward bound program i enjoyed the experience .I had the blessing to work with young children that had wrong some backgrounds. i encouraged them to do the right things and there are more to life .
Productive, fast-paced and fun environment to work in
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAOctober 20, 2016
Upward bound is a very fun, dynamic and fast paced environment where you're constantly planning and executing events for high school students who are transitioning into college. The benefits of working at this place are very tangible as you can see how the work we do impacts in a positive manner the lives of many students. The management at this program is friendly understanding and very flexible.
Pros
Fun and dynamic environment, great work life balance
Cons
Benefits and compensation could be better
productive work environment
Mentor, guide and tutor high school students (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WISeptember 28, 2016
Working with students who are the first in their families to attend college/university. Low drop out of students in the Upward Bound program. Good students to work with
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
wages not commeasurate with position
students experiencing college while in high school
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2016
I was a student for Upward Bound during high school and was hired to work for them in summer of 2010 after graduating that summer. I enjoyed this employment, Director was very organized and loved her program. Students were exposed to the college life while taking classes for high school requirements and making life-long friends. As a alumni more programs like this should be out there.
Pros
room and board, meals, supervison of studetns, fieldtrips, and realtionships
Cons
summer job
Great for kids
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Itta Bena, MSAugust 18, 2016
Good place for kids to get help. Kids love to come and get help. Co workers are good people also. We our hard to help kids get good grades in school
Pros
help kids
Great!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  South AlabamaJuly 19, 2016
It is a good company to work for. The staff is really patient and knowledgeable, and the success of the students in the programs makes the job worth it.
Art Instrustor for Future
Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAJuly 5, 2016
Upward Bound, a government funded company and a program that I attended as well. It was program for underprivileged teenagers that needed to help with college. The program runs all year round, so I was attending the summer session. I had around 20 children and my class. I taught them the fundamentals of each element of art in the fine arts. Then I showed them how use technology with my graphic design background. Lastly finished with some future advancements, which was 3D printing. Overall the job was great and the kids were amazing.
Good Sturdy Job
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 14, 2016
Assisting high school students with all levels of math
Helping with organizing paperwork and collecting attendance
Did this for two summers in a row
Pros
fruitful
Cons
pay
Fun environment and great coworkers
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJune 13, 2016
A typical day was waking the students up at 6 a.m., walk them to and from meals, and assist in recreation classes

I learned about the care of high school students and how to manage my personal life and work life

I managed over 100 students and a staff of eight chaperones

My coworkers were awesome and very helpful

The hardest part about the job was disciplining the students when they did wrong

The most enjoyable part about the position was the lifelong connections I made along the journey

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upward Bound. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5