Upward Bound Employee Reviews

Role model to young students
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 22, 2017
This job is about more than just a check you get every week. It's about being that person the students can talk to outside of home. Making sure they continue to get a good education and making sure they understand that this summer camp is helping them and not hurting them.
Pros
Lived on campus, meals were provided, got to be a role model to troubled students
Cons
24/7 job for 6 weeks, had to learn how to deal with multiple attitudes and personalities
It was fun while getting to interact with the kids.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCMay 21, 2017
It an amazing summer job. I met children from different backgrounds while tutoring them and taking them to gym class. The staff was amazing and they made sure everyone was taken care of.
Life Changing Experience
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2017
I began working in Upward Bound immediately following undergrad. I had no idea what I was doing or if I was making a difference in the lives of the youth that I served. It was not until one of our annual banquets was i able to see just how significant my impact had been on the students. I listened to personal testimonies from students stating how much they appreciated me and my efforts to help them develop properly. This feedback encouraged me to become more aggressive in my efforts to make a difference.
Productive and goal oriented
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 19, 2017
Working for Upward Bound was a great experience. I was able to help srudents in home work, but also meet and encourage then to go to college. Helping them see their stregths made this job more enjoyable.
Pros
Fun and friendly environment
Cons
Low pay
Wonderful
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 12, 2017
Everyone is very friendly and the students are very well mannered. I've had a lot of opportunities to travel on field trips. I work with my coworkers very frequently and the workplace tends to be focused but relaxed. Everyday is different in terms of tutoring. You will see more than one student in a day so there is a variety of topics covered within a given subject. Seeing as a large part of the staff are students on campus, they tend to be flexible with scheduling. Since it is an after school program there are not as many hours as I would have preferred. However, I was a student and the hours allowed for enough study time which was my focus.
Pros
Environment, Field Trips
Cons
Hours
if making the difference in a young life matters...
Driver (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDMay 12, 2017
If you want to make a difference in the lives of America's youths, than this is the ideal job. Not only do you get to mold young minds, you get to expand your own horizons as well.
Pros
Shaping young minds
Cons
Dealing with bad attitudes
Work environment
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 10, 2017
The manager over the program is not consistent in her rules. She is very two sided and always taking the side of the wrong individuals. She lies about being there to help you and never help. The pay sucks. The money never comes on time, and the hours are long. You have to work overtime, with no pay.
Pros
Visiting different states
Cons
no breaks
awesome job
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 8, 2017
the kids are awesome. the job is awesome. the only bad thing about the job is the pay and not enough hours. if the pay was higher and more hours to work - would come back and work for them.
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough pay/hours
awesome job
Resident Assistant/Academic Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 8, 2017
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough pay/hours
best job i had ever had
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough pay/hours
Higher School Level
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Barranquitas, PRApril 30, 2017
Higher School Level.The best experiences I've had when I was asked to talk to classes. These teachers were really interested in stuttering and wanted to help their students. I received postcards and presents afterwards and brought me back my faith in teachers again.
I also took a class in presentation techniques and everyone in class had to make a presentation. The whole class should then comment and grade the presentations. I was deadly nervous, but had a subject I knew a lot about: our museum at home. I took a lot of things to look at, try, feel and to listen to to make them concentrate on other thing but myself and my speech, walked around a lot using body language, remembered the experience about time and had my watch on the table in front of me. When I was finished I was shaking all over.
Simple and great work place
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCApril 28, 2017
A really great place to work to help high school students. A typical day at work consists of aiding students with their school materials and any college questions that may concern them.
Pros
Diverse Environment
Great learning experience
Peer Counselor (Former Employee) –  Andalusia, ALApril 26, 2017
A great learning experience with waking up early 5 am every morning managing 20+ high school students over the summer all while taking classes. Taking classes and managing was the hardest but an overall positive experience
productive quiet workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2017
a typical day of secretary work, I learned how to file and organize important documents. there wasn't a whole lot of work for the secretary to do so passing the time by spreading my workload.
Pros
great program for potential collwgw students
Cons
no potential for advancement
Upward is amazing
Assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 3, 2017
I loved working with the Upward Bound program. it was awesome i love kids so it made it even better! The bosses are awesome & of course coaching & reffing is so much fun
Pros
everything
Cons
saturday's are taken up during season
Good Environment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 28, 2017
To be a small on campus company, it was good. Gives you the opportunity to connect with people that you may be able to establish professional bonds with. The position was part time so there were no benefits available.
great work enviornment
Student Mentor for Summer Enrichment Program (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 27, 2017
I was really able to grow as a helping professional by having developing close relationships with the students and navigating all the things that go on in their lives.
Educational
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 17, 2017
As a work study student, this position taught me the greatness of building a career and mindset of a future go-getter. I learned the meaning of being a reliable individual for yourself as well as for your team.
Great positive environment
Upward Bound Trio Group Member (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 1, 2017
Working at Upward Bound was a good experience and a great way to meet new people and build work ethic. There were lots of group activities to help with team work and the management always did there best to assist in any way possible.
Fun and Educational Work Environment
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 23, 2017
I enjoy working here getting hands on experience with the kids and being able to help them get prepared for college. Seeing them do well in school and personally is very rewarding.
Pros
Free lunches