Upward Bound Employee Reviews

Great summer job
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Mars Hill, NCSeptember 6, 2013
Great tutoring kids and teaching them the values of life. Going on different trips and college visits was amazing. Got to understand not only what children deals with but a new focus on life.
Pros
teaching high school kids
Great Kids Enrolled in Program
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 25, 2013
Dynamic environment working with great kids. Every day was something new and the kids were fantastic to work with.
Supporting and mentoring unique and passionate young people
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kahului, HIAugust 20, 2013
Working with and around high-school students as they engage in summer enrichment programming.
Organizing activities for them and providing college and larger life insights to help guide them to high-school and college success.
Working with a culturally diverse staff and being engaged in the community at large.
Upward Bound was a great company to gain expierence
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MAAugust 20, 2013
Provided direct care for 50 “at-risk” high school students enrolled in a residential summer program that promotes higher education Tutored and mentored youths enrolled in program to foster an appreciation for learning Facilitated and budgeted for weekly trips to college fairs and job workshops to encourage and educate students about future possibilities
Good Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 14, 2013
College Job that helped me gain knowledge in different areas such as filing papers, grading exams, phone calls etc
Pros
helping others
Productive workplace with fun environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 14, 2013
This job helped me mostly with school. I was being tutored and working at the the same time. This was summer youth employment.
great program
Summer RA/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 9, 2013
this was an overall great job. the students and staff were great for the most part. the mission of the program is absolutely wonderful. the days were really long (7:30 am -11 pm) but it was personally rewarding.
Pros
free lunch, great students, great staff
Cons
few breaks, long schedule
Inspiring place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 8, 2013
The Upward Bound program allows workers to assist kids in achieving their goals.
Working with career aspiring youth
Program Assistant/Summer Internship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJuly 17, 2013
Be a mentor and role model. Great staff with an academic and career focus.
Pros
seeing students grow.
N/A
Senior Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2013
There is an extreme need to keep programs like this accessible to our local youth. It is very unfortunate that funding was cut from the TRiO program, Upward Bound.

Want to know more about Upward Bound?

Ask a question
fun work place were young students are inspired to achieve and succeed.
Resident aid (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 4, 2013
wake you get the students ready for breakfast the escort them to there first class of the day then escort them to the lunchroom for lunch and escort and participate in any extra curricular activities that are planed by the staff. I learned that to get student to become interested in something you must first show interest and have patience with them. Management did a great job with planning and communicating with the staff and students. My co workers and i were a team we always had a plan for last minute changes. The hardest part to me was not having enough activities for the students to do on campus. The most enjoyable part for me was chill time with the students, being able to mentor some of them and liesting to there aspersions on what they want to do in life.
Pros
free meals and board
Cons
staying in the small dorms
Fun Work Place
TUTOR/COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Utica, MSMay 2, 2013
• Assistant teacher
• Tutor students in subject areas that is needed
• Assist students in their attitude, self-esteem, personality, etc.
I worked as a counselor through Upward Bound
Upward Bound Counselor (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNMay 1, 2013
This experience gave me the opportunity to work with 9th-12th grade students who were less privedged. I was able to interact with them and also help them get through some tough times. The participants respected me and I am still in contact with many of them.
Summer Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZApril 24, 2013
Tutoring kids during the summer in a study hall like environment. Kids are fun to work with and you have a lot of freedom to go to areas such as the library with the class when needed.
Tutoring High School students in all academic subjects
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 17, 2013
Upward Bound taught me alot about how to work with high school students. While working here, I tutored high school students in all academic subjects. I had extensive training in courses related to youth and youth development and have been able to apply that knowledge outside of Upward Bound. My coworker and management were hard working and always willing to work alongside peers if needed. The hardest part of the job was working with students who didn't care about their academics. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with students who applied themselves and got accepted into college.
Pros
flexible work schedule for college students, co-workers and management
Cons
not much room for advancement
Working/Living with Children
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 13, 2013
Overall, it would be my dream job. Overseeing the daily activities of children as they pursue college credits.
Learning Experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 10, 2013
A program that help you with school work and prepare you for college and real world work force.
Great Company
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2013
This is a great company. I love any program that help our youth young reach and realize their true potential. I would recommend this program to any child who needs that extra help getting into college. I am so glad that I was apart of this organization.
Pros
everything else
Cons
no overtime
Great team fostering environment.
Mentor/ Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 19, 2013
Job helped me grow as a well rounded individual, setting a positive example for younger individuals who came from the same circumstances as I did growing up.
nice job to be diverse and from teaching experience
Residential advisor (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAFebruary 5, 2013
You live on campus for 6 weeks with highschool students. You become their mentors and tutors and help them through the 6 week course, which prepares them for college experience. Co-workers super nice all being chico state students. The studnets and RA's range from different cultural bacjkrounds and each day you get 4 hours off to do whatever you would like. You work 5 days a week 20 hours a week(including sleep).
Pros
free food, and board
Cons
unable to do very much on weekdays

4.6