Upward Bound

Upward Bound Employer Reviews

Preparing high school kids for college
Summer Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Toledo, OHDecember 9, 2012
Pros: helping high school students experience college life
Mentored High school kids during the summer while they live in college dorms and attend summer classes. If anyone had questions you would have to be assessable to them 24 hours.
Friendly place to work
Student Counselor (Former Employee), Terrell TxNovember 5, 2012
Pros: free dinner, a place to sleep, friendly atmosphere.
Cons: the heat, no breaks, and the feeling you never did anything right.
A typical day at work would be we would wake up around six in the morning to wake up the students and make sure they sign in for the day. I would lead the girls to the cafeteria so they could eat breakfast and get ready to go to their classes. After they finish their classes we do activities, so they can get exercise. When it reached nine I would escort the girls back to the dorms for bed. I learned consistency from working there.
Tutoring service for college students
Tutor (Former Employee), Presque Isle, MENovember 3, 2012
Easy to work your own schedule as you set up times with the students.
Work is inconsistent though as it is solely at the need of the student.
Fun working with people you already know
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2012
Pros: i did not have to travel to go to work, it took place in my high school
Cons: it was only 3 hours a week.
It was nice being able to work with people i already knew, however it was hard for people to take me serious because they did know me. If i were to tell them to sit down or pay attention, they would not listen. It was my first job so it was a nice place to start.
rewarding
Minicamp Supervisor (Former Employee), United StatesAugust 9, 2012
Pros: having an impact on kids
working with high school kids who look up to you and being able to provide motivation and spend time with them was great
Upward Bound is Great for the community
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2012
Pros: great travel, meeting people and very rewarding
Cons: no/rare advancement opportunity, no job security
The program is a benefit to the community. On the other side of things the Job security is almost null and void. Because the organization is grant funded I found my self worried about employment despite the fact that I loved what I was doing. In addition to that there is little room to advance which, left me wanting more responsibility.
A great cultural experience
Tutor (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIJuly 26, 2012
Pros: the realtionships built
Cons: time commitment
I enjoyed the students I had over the years. This program really prepares low income students for college.
Nurture and mentor students in a learning environment
Tutor Counselor (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 17, 2012
Pros: free room and board
Cons: shift length
Monitor student behavior from wake up until bedtime. Escort students in traveling between campus facilities. Assist in tutoring and studying. I learned to be patient. Most of all I learned to successfully plan. My co-workers were not always motivated but we all worked together well for the sake of the students. The hardest part of the job was to help the students separate academics and leisure activity. The most enjoyable part of the job was coaching students to academic progression.
great to be around youth on constant basis
camp supervisor (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJuly 14, 2012
Love the job because I was around youth all day. I helped young men developed character while teaching them a healthy lifestyle.
Summer Job
Assistant To Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2012
Pros: get to see sporting events bulls games, blackhawks, whitesox, bears etc..
Cons: short hours
Nothing good or bad to say. good trips to colleges around the united states and thought me a lot about life and growing up helped me a lot in high school
Great atmosphere and people.
Mentor (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJuly 10, 2012
This was a volunteer position in which both the student and the mentor were able to learn something productive in every encounter.
Great start with youth development!
Senior Academic Advisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 14, 2012
Pros: being able to relate to students and working well with my co-workers
Cons: not enough down time, constantly working around the clock
A typical day at work would be to plan events for the youth (i.e., fun activities, workshops and college tours) that will enrich their academics and enhance their growth. Discuss with the team some new ideas to continue to keep students engaged and motivated to pursue a postsecondary education. Counsel and advise a caseload of 15 students and parents on academics, extracurricular activities, and college selection. One valuable thing that I have learned in youth development is to always learn to improvise. The most challenging part of this position is to work extremely hard with the youth only realize that the youth realize that college is not for everyone. I enjoy conversing with the students and seeing the transitions from adolescents to young adulthood and that you have made an impact in their lives.
Very productive and fun to be around young students
o Student Tutor (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 12, 2012
A typical day is just tutoring local high school students when they come after school in mainly their math studies. I learned how to be patient and work with kids, it was a very humbling experience. Management was very laid back, but made sure everyone was on task. There were only four tutors, including myself, and we are all FAMU students. The hardest part was to get the kids to start their work and get them out of the social mode. The most enjoyable part was to see the progress they made in their studies when we viewed report cards.
Environment in which I was able to grow as a worker and a woman.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 8, 2012
Pros: free lunch, gifts, flexible hours, amazing staff, talented students and financial aid assistance.
A typical day at Upward Bound is sitting at the computer updating student's information such as their FCAT scores, GPA, College admissions (if any), test scores and any other applicable information for the purpose of record keeping. I learnt dedication, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to meet deadlines in 3 days with 200+ student files to update. At times I also set up parties, activities and sent out mail to the parents. If there weren't any tutors available, I stepped in and helped. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around the students and seeing how much life they had. They were so talented and driven, I was simply blown away. I got along with everyone at the job and to this day I can call my supervisors and speak to them about anything.
Productive, Organized, and Detail Oriented
Educational Specialist (Former Employee), University of Guam, GuamJune 6, 2012
A typical day at work is fast-paced, constant planning and organizing, communication, decision making, and being in the front line to provide customer service to program participants and public inquiries.

I have gained and sharpened my knowledge and skills to effectively manage people, time, and events. As an organized and detailed oriented person, I have successfully achieved multitasking and meeting multiple deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the outcome of the services that I have provided for program participants. I welcome feedback - positive, negative, or needs improvement - of the work that I do. It provides the opportunity to improve the quality of services that I provide.
Giving Back to the community!!!
Counselor/Office Assistant (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYMay 29, 2012
Pros: working with hihg school students
Working with students to help them prepare for college is the best feeling in the world! Being that I can tall them and show them the experiences I have had throughout college is a great tool to use. Working with a very hardworking and dedicated staff keeps you motivated to be involved and give back.
Behind the curtains
Community Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Orono, MEMay 21, 2012
Pros: free lunches, sometimes dinner
Cons: can't think of anything right now
I was a Community Service Coordinator for two summers. I loved meeting new people and got to help organize local community service activities such as: Leonard Mills, Bangor Homeless Shelter, nursing homes, etc. Also we did college tours at: College of the Atlantic, Eastern Maine Community College, Husson, University of Maine Orono, etc.

The management was great and always on top of things. They were concerned and involved in each student's studies, and always got recognition for their effort
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), East Stroudsburg, PAMay 14, 2012
Pros: work environment
Cons: pay is $7.25 for 40 hours a week
It's a summer job but the experience is what it's all about. You get up escort the students to the cafe then meet up with them for study hours. Next there's lunch and free time. As the day dies down they are allowed to choose how to spend their time before lights are out at 9 p.m.
Very productive
Youth Program Leader (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 18, 2012
Pros: free lunch was provided
Cons: only 5 min breaks
A typical day at UpwardBound was three classes in the morning then in the afternoon was work. We worked on different various projects in are communities. I learn while working for UpwardBound how to work as a team. some of my co-workers was hard to work with because they was not at a mature level and they wanted to do things their own way. The hardest part of the job was working in the long summer heats. The most enjoyable part of the job was we got to work with kids