Upward Bound Employee Reviews in United States

Upward Bound was a great company to gain expierence
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MAAugust 20, 2013
Provided direct care for 50 “at-risk” high school students enrolled in a residential summer program that promotes higher education Tutored and mentored youths enrolled in program to foster an appreciation for learning Facilitated and budgeted for weekly trips to college fairs and job workshops to encourage and educate students about future possibilities
Supporting and mentoring unique and passionate young people
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kahului, HIAugust 20, 2013
Working with and around high-school students as they engage in summer enrichment programming.
Organizing activities for them and providing college and larger life insights to help guide them to high-school and college success.
Working with a culturally diverse staff and being engaged in the community at large.
Fun working with people you already know
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2012
It was nice being able to work with people i already knew, however it was hard for people to take me serious because they did know me. If i were to tell them to sit down or pay attention, they would not listen. It was my first job so it was a nice place to start.
Pros
i did not have to travel to go to work, it took place in my high school
Cons
it was only 3 hours a week.
I love the kids.
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 16, 2014
Basically you monitor and supervise their activities while enriching their campus experience when maintaining their safety.
Giving Back to the community!!!
Counselor/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 29, 2012
Working with students to help them prepare for college is the best feeling in the world! Being that I can tall them and show them the experiences I have had throughout college is a great tool to use. Working with a very hardworking and dedicated staff keeps you motivated to be involved and give back.
Pros
working with hihg school students
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAMay 14, 2012
It's a summer job but the experience is what it's all about. You get up escort the students to the cafe then meet up with them for study hours. Next there's lunch and free time. As the day dies down they are allowed to choose how to spend their time before lights are out at 9 p.m.
Pros
work environment
Cons
pay is $7.25 for 40 hours a week
Exellent place to work for
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2014
I truly enjoyed working with the youth and their families during my time at this agency. The students kept me on my toes and they were a pleasure working with.
Pros
helping the youth become autonimous
Cons
burn out
Very Productive and Fun
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Downtown,BostonJuly 29, 2014
Took college courses in this summer program, learned about many rules, tips and educational material and learned more about the importance of responsibilities and respect. It was a very fun program. Received $60 stipends once/twice a month
I worked as a counselor through Upward Bound
Upward Bound Counselor (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNMay 1, 2013
This experience gave me the opportunity to work with 9th-12th grade students who were less privedged. I was able to interact with them and also help them get through some tough times. The participants respected me and I am still in contact with many of them.
I worked as a tutor, at Upward Bound
Tutor (Former Employee) –  BostonFebruary 26, 2014
I worked at Upward bound as a tutor. I was basically available to students when they needed help with any homework or classwork. I learned teaching methods. My coworkers were other high school students. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help students.
Great Company
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2013
This is a great company. I love any program that help our youth young reach and realize their true potential. I would recommend this program to any child who needs that extra help getting into college. I am so glad that I was apart of this organization.
Pros
everything else
Cons
no overtime
Preparing high school kids for college
Summer Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 9, 2012
Mentored High school kids during the summer while they live in college dorms and attend summer classes. If anyone had questions you would have to be assessable to them 24 hours.
Pros
helping high school students experience college life
great program
Summer RA/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 9, 2013
this was an overall great job. the students and staff were great for the most part. the mission of the program is absolutely wonderful. the days were really long (7:30 am -11 pm) but it was personally rewarding.
Pros
free lunch, great students, great staff
Cons
few breaks, long schedule
Micromanaging and multitasking is nonstop.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 18, 2013
My tasks there were endless, but overall a great program where I gained valuable lessons and acquired connections.
Interesting Job
Teaching Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnson, VTMarch 13, 2014
Perfect job for a student live on campus with the students for 6-7 weeks over the summer and helped them with getting into college, taking college courses and many other activities.
Pros
living on site
Cons
only during summer
Good Expeience
Youth Advisor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  greenville scJuly 23, 2014
I only work here part time but I love the effect that this program have on the kids that it services. I was able to be a part of a similar program as a young teen.
There Like Family.
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 29, 2014
The residents were what made my job fulling. The daily flow was that your always moving, always on go and checking on your tables. Never a dull moment.
Teens Looking Up To You
Evening Program Director (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNNovember 10, 2013
These were teens whom may or may not have had a difficult life. But one thing is for certain, they look up to you and consider you a role model and its up to you to live up that name.
Summer Job
Assistant To Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2012
Nothing good or bad to say. good trips to colleges around the united states and thought me a lot about life and growing up helped me a lot in high school
Pros
get to see sporting events bulls games, blackhawks, whitesox, bears etc..
Cons
short hours
Great place to work.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF UPWARD BOUND (Current Employee) –  Godfrey, ILJanuary 25, 2013
Upward Bound at Lewis and Clark Community College is an outstanding opportunity to help 9th - 12th grade students attain their goal of preparing for college.
Pros
time off, working with kids, being a mentor
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upward Bound. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5