About Urban Homeworks
The mission of Urban Homeworks is to perpetuate the hope of Jesus Christ through innovative community development that produces equitable housing for families, a strategic network of good neighbors and the redemptive development of real estate.
Urban Homeworks is seeking an experienced finance professional to lead our Accounting and Finance functions. This person will be a key member of the management team with the primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the organization. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting, tax and treasury.
1. Provides overall direction and leadership for the Finance and Accounting functions.
a. Establishes major economic objectives and policies for the company and prepares reports that outline the company's financial position in the areas of income, expense and earnings based on past, present and future operations.
b. Recommends benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance of the organization.
c. Works with department leaders and corporate staff to develop business plans for the company.
d. Establishes and implements short-range and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures.
e. Provides supervision, performance management and development opportunities for finance team.
2. Maintains the company's system of accounts and keeps books and records on all company transactions and assets for the parent company and subsidiaries.
a. Ensures company accounting procedures conform to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
b. Prepares formal financial reports and other internal and external reports as necessary.
c. Has the final responsibility for providing effective financial controls for the organization.
d. Develops, analyzes and interprets statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
3. Coordinates and directs the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts.
a. Leads the preparation of financial outlooks and financial forecasts.
b. Institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures, and analyzes and reports variances.
4. Ensures adequate cash flow is in place for current and future operations.
a. Directs and coordinates debt financing and debt service payments with external agencies.
b. Develops relationships with lending institutions and the financial community.
5. Oversees and performs other responsibilities as needed to further the mission of the organization.
a. Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
b. Coordinates and executes financial statement audit, A-133 audit and 990 tax filing.
c. Evaluates and recommends insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
d. Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local government funding requirements.
e. Prepares financial analyses for contract negotiations and investment decisions.
Controller Role (Ops): 47%
CFO Role: 18%
General Accounting: 5%
Construction Accounting: 2%
Mission Effectiveness/ops: 18%
- Committed resolve for the Urban Homeworks mission and for the communities in which Urban Homeworks is implementing its community development strategies.
- Bachelor’s or degree in Finance, Accounting or Business (or equivalent), plus minimum of 5–10 years of financial management experience.
- Expert understanding of GAAP accounting standards, financial reporting standards and financial/accounting concepts to lead the finance and accounting functions.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, business sense, the ability to identify trends and draw meaningful conclusions from data and the ability to make sound judgments.
- High degree of personal integrity, honesty, discretion and financial accountability to work with financial and personnel data which is confidential and sensitive.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to receive, relay and explain complex financial information to non-accountants.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong organizational skills, time management skills and flexibility to meet deadlines and quickly adapt priorities in a changing environment with competing demands.
- CPA, and/or Master’s degree in Finance or Business
- Expertise in New Business Development and Banking/Lending
- Experience in Real Estate and Construction
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Health Benefits - Up to $300 per month contributed to the Urban Homeworks Cafeteria
Plan. (Employees are responsible for securing their own health insurance carrier.)
- Paid Time Off - Vacation Pay, Sick Leave and Holiday Pay (up to 22 days in first year).
- Disability Insurance, Life Insurance and AD&D Insurance (all Company-paid).