ULI – the Urban Land Institute is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit research and education organization supported by its members. Founded in 1936, the Institute has more than 38,000 members worldwide representing the entire spectrum of land use and real estate development disciplines, working in private enterprise and public service. The Institute executes its program through a number of vehicles: marquee industry meetings; research centers and initiatives; a network of local, national, and global councils; an advisory services program; periodic conferences and forums; and publication of a monthly magazine, an online magazine, and various reports and books. For more information, please visit www.uli.org. EOE/m/f/d/v
ULI’s governance structure consists of 125 Trustees and a 15-member Board of Directors. Members participate in the global program and in ULI’s district councils, which are active in 51 U.S. metropolitan areas, throughout Europe, and in the Asia Pacific/Japan region. An allied organization, the ULI Foundation, ULI’s organizational structure also includes the ULI Foundation, which raises financial support for ULI’s program of work. The total budget of the organization is $58 million, and the staff totals about 170 in locations around the world. ULI is headquartered in Washington DC.
The Sr. Manager, Human Resources Operations will coordinate national and international human resources services for ULI, including benefits, compensation, employee relations, compliance, performance management, staff training and development, communication and assist with planning for domestic and international staff. The Sr. Manager works closely with the Vice President of Human Resources in managing strategies that assist ULI in becoming an employer of choice, while developing a culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance. This position reports to the Vice President, Human Resources.
The ideal candidate will be highly professional, extremely customer focused and collegial. Candidates should have 5-7 years of progressively responsible human resources generalist experience and strong writing/HR communications skills. Non profit experience is highly desirable. Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensures the efficient administration and effective communication of ULI’s employee benefits program. Oversees the preparation of reports and plan census data.
- Leads benefit enrolment meetings, responding to inquires, providing benefit plan materials and information and ensuring that all plan enrolment documents are complete.
- Keeps current on trends in benefit administration and evaluates alternatives. Suggests changes and modifications to Vice President, HR.
- Assist with organization’s retirement plan audits and other projects related to the retirement plans.
Employee Relations and Retention:
- Manages the annual employee performance review process and training ensuring the integrity of the system. Leads, manages and analyzes annual merit increase process.
- Manages, evaluates and implements appropriate employee motivational and retention activities.
- Counsel’s staff and management, in coordination with VP of HR, on a variety of employee relations matters including but not limited to: sensitive situations, job reclassification, performance improvement plans, personally conflicts, termination, and policy interpretation. Exerts influence on employee relation decisions along ethical and legal channels. Ensures senior management is equipped with facts and alternatives when making personnel decisions.
- Suggests, researches and leads HR special projects.
Training and Development:
- Coordinates an in-house employee training program that addresses training needs, including training needs assessment, new employee orientation and onboarding, management development, and measurement of training impact.
- Assist with the selection, contracting and management of external training programs and consultants.
Human Resources Operations and Administration:
- Manages communications and messaging for the department. May coordinate with other departments on messaging.
- Formulate and maintain HR, Fringe, and Employee Function cost center budgets in coordination with VP of HR.
- Oversees the maintenance of the HRIS; used personnel information to develop reports for management and other regulatory requirements. Manages and maintains employee personnel files.
- Provides advisory and administrative support both domestically and internationally on policies and procedures relating to compensation matters.
Recruitment and Hiring:
- Works with mangers in the creation or revision of job descriptions and specifications.
- Manages proposed human resources transactions with department leadership to ensure organizational and budgetary considerations have been analyzed and evaluated.
- May manage select full life cycle recruitment activities.
- Manage internship program/budget for the organization.
- Develop and monitor annual budget in coordination with VP of HR, ensuring fiscal compliance and internal controls for HR expenditures.
- Fulfill and manage the strategic department goals, objectives and systems. Establish departmental measurements that support the accomplishment of department strategic goals.
- Develop and administer programs, procedures and guidelines to help align staff with goals and objectives of ULI.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Masters Degree preferred. PHR required.
- Strong demonstrated internal “customer service” skills.
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressively responsible human resources generalist experience managing all Human Resources functional area. Experience in the development and administration of HR programs. Experience in human resources communications.
- Experience with an international nonprofit, institute, foundation or association preferable.
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, benefits and compensation, organization development, employee relations, and training and development.
- Demonstrated experience managing with diplomacy, agility, transparency, and cultural competency.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal and coaching skills. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated problem solving and conflict resolution skills; Ability to handle complex problems.
- Demonstrated critical thinking with the ability to solve problems by gathering data, reasoning logically, and drawing valid conclusions; excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment.
To apply, please email your letter of interest and resume to Stacey Berk, Managing Consultant, Expand HR Consulting.
ULI–the Urban Land Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and education organization supported by its members. Founded in 1936,...