Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and busy, but fun workplace
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
After working for Urban Outfitters for over 2 years, I've learned a lot about customer service. After each day of work I learn something new whether it has to do with cash wrap, back office, or business reports. Management always likes to see you being productive and not just standing around. I love the vibe that it gives off and how friendly my co workers are. The only hard part about working here would be closing. Because we have such a big store, closing can be a bit rough and sometimes we wouldn't leave until midnight or later. However besides that, I do enjoy working there and would recommend it to anyone who wants to go into retail.
Intersting work enviorment.
Sales Associacte (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2016
Every Urban Outfitters is different in its own unique way. Shifts are either really long or really short. Urban has a great culture an has good products. Only thing is that to move up in the company is overly hard. They make is so difficult to move up. Overall working at Urban teaches you so much about organization, timeliness, product knowledge that afterwards you feel as if you can do almost anything.
Pros
Great atmosphere an great people.
Cons
Not enough struchure
Careless company
wharehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Gap, PAMay 13, 2016
Horrible company. They don't care about you as a person. I would never purchase any thing from them. They ship out used dirty clothing. Management is extremely disrespectful and do not talk to there employees. Most employees come to work high or get high in the parking lot. 90% of employees do not speak English. If you have a family this is not the place to work. They do not follow labor laws.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Short breaks no employee parking.
Incredible work environment
Men's Accessory Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2016
Working at Urban Outfitters has been an overall outstanding experience, due to the family style/team oriented work environment it has provided and the amount of responsibility put on each employee. The level of camaraderie amongst Urban employees is not found in most retail environments, and it really sets a tone for the entire store and the quality of customer service provided. Not only has it been a fun place to work, I have also learned an enormous amount of how a business functions. As a specialist, I have learned to read numbers and relay such information to sales associates and managers, assist merchandisers accordingly, and work with my product beyond just maintaining it on the sales floor.
Productive atmosphere
Senior Technical Designer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 12, 2016
It is a culture to be a part of. It is laid back and has a feel of a small company, but then there are times where it is very corporate.
I fit twice a week on a live fit model.
I work closely with my Design, Product development and Production team.
I have an assistant who is an Intern and I train her to be able to take my place.
The hardest part is to manage and get all fit comments out when there are a lot of changes in the fit.
Fast paced environment with required heavy lifting
Quality Assurance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gap, PAApril 17, 2016
Accept shipment from receiving dock, inspect garments for carelabels and fabric content, get measurement and volume via scaning and set proper shipping requirements (i.e. valuable, fragile and/or hazardous)
I have learned the receiving process in a Fullfilment Center,
The hardest part fo the job is the heavy lifiting which cannot be avoided.
Cons
wages
Helps you build a stronger skin
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 3, 2016
Although this is not my first gig at retail job, dealing with new incoming management where everyone is off cue can be difficult. However, I did enjoy my time at this job and highly recommend it to those who are just going through school and don't have to worry much about paying bills.
Pros
Postive environment
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJJune 28, 2016
Working at Urban Outfitters is definitely a fun place to work at especially with all your co-workers. Everyone there is super nice and cool so it's like you're working with friends there. I definitely enjoy working with all my co-workers and managers and enjoy coming to work, which is always good!
Pros
Discount, Fun co-workers
unique, rad, retail company to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Studio City, CAApril 9, 2016
Urban Outfitters is always about the creativity of the employee and customers. The customers are always interesting as well. My coworkers are reliable and fun as well. The best part is being surrounded by the creative environment and culture that Urban Outfitters provides.
Pros
Creative environment and best retail experience
Cons
short breaks
Great workplace, great people
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 10, 2016
Working here is great! The people there couldn't be nicer, which makes working retail easy. I've learned a lot about the business aspect of the job. The in's and out's of day to day functions and what goals need to be meat. I've also learned how to handle all types of people and how to approach situations with customers that may not be ideal so they leave satisfied. I've leaned how to balance individual tasks and group tasks, and how to take charge if something has to be done, A typical day in the work place involves interacting with numerous customers as you work to get new product out on the floor. Also you manage associates and make sure they are customer servicing correctly and if there is no customers then they are working on bettering the environment of the store. For example cleaning or processing shipment.
Pros
Approprite breaks, great staff, no uniform
Cons
On your feet all day
Very Productive and fun at times
Returns Clerk (Former Employee) –  Trenton, SCMay 7, 2016
Was good day , I worked with a lot of women in my department, I've learned how to return items that needed to return . refund the money back to the customer or exchanged items. The most enjoyable was seeing everyone happy, laughing and getting along with one another.
Pros
Lunch Breaks, good benefits
Cons
poor management
Productive. Enjoyable. Educational.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2016
Providing Customer service. Displaying of various merchandise. Cow-workers friendly and unique. The hardest part of this job would be dealing with different personalities consistently. The most enjoyable is being allowing to express your individuality.
Pros
Clothing
Cons
Unreliable management.
Vibe is awesome, employees rock and you'll definately leave there happier than when you went in.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
Great place for young people to work its very diverse as you'll see many customers from different walks of life. Cool mucic and yeah... did I mention the awesome vibe? Great job.
Pros
60% employee discount and 40% for employees friends and family
Cons
short breaks
exciting at first draining at the end
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJApril 16, 2016
Urban Outfitters is known for being unique which they are. What you do not realize till you are in is they use you till they cannot or you are not a YES man anymore. They are sexist and there is to much politics when it comes to advancement.
Pros
unique place to work
Cons
cheap, over work and don't respect personal life.
OK for a 'Job'
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Gap, PAFebruary 27, 2016
I was well on my way into management and leadership role(s) at Urban Outfitters. After 400 Work-Hours as a Temporary Employee, I was supposed to be promoted to a "Direct Employee". However, this never happened and excuses were constantly being made as to why.

My service and dedication was unsurpassed. Motivation, few could rival.

In short, I would still be there and going through the motions had I been given the chance to become a 'Direct'. In my next company I would be very grateful for a chance to become a Manager, Leader, or 'Incharge-position'.

Thank you.
Pros
Coworkers and Managers
Cons
NA
Great people to be around
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2016
The managers and other employee's were very welcoming, fun and chill. I loved working there. Hardest thing was being stuck in the fitting rooms during a Saturday rush, it could get very hectic, but I was also at one of the highest volume stores in California.
Pros
Cool people, good music
More than just a "Hipster Market".
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10038February 19, 2016
UO is, by far, the best retail company that I have ever had the pleasure to work for. The company has spent years on improving their technique for customer service and how to make sure that the customer is always happy. Every single soul, from the bottom of the chain to very tip-top, is filled with positive energy and their own unique quirks. I can always count on management to help out with anything that's bothering me and know that they truly mean well. The hardest part of my job would have to be resisting the urge to compulsively buy a new outfit. That's it. I have no real complaints about working here and that, in itself, is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Discount, family/friendly atmosphere.
Cons
N/A
Cool job around positive people.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2016
A typical day at urban pretty much consists of talking to customers and maintaining until the end of the shift. My co-workers are all positive people who are hard workers. They make the time go by stopping to make a comment just to liven up the day. Management is fine.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Working for urban was a nice productive environment. Our typical day of work was restocking and folding merchandise and making sure everything was nice and neat. what i learned from this company is being very organized and memorizing product information. Also dealing with any type of customer in a friendly manner. My co-workers all helped each other in different tasks. The hardest part of the job was being consistent because the job does get tiring after a while. It was a good work place to work to learn the ropes as a sales associate.
Pros
everyone is friendly
Cons
short breaks
Great company, but a new store needs a lot more than a year to grow.
Housewares Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 17, 2016
I love the company and their culture. I think that this was just a new store and it had a lot of opportunities. Each manager would take their turn floor supervising different hours during the day. the other hours were free for our departmental work or other duties that might have been assigned to us or needed to be taken cared of. The hardest part of the job (for any job) is always the people you have to work with. Everyone is so different and brings a different energy to the store. The best part was that we all felt like we were a family, but this is how it's like at most places on the island. I loved my co-workers; they got me through the days.
Pros
40hours max on a salary
Cons
Poor management