Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Accepting and encouraging team
women's accessories specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington StateApril 29, 2017
This company strives on team building and communication in the workplace. Everyone is so passionate about doing their job and working up the ladder in the company.
Pros
Flexible hours, fun customer base and store team
Cons
Compensation for role advancement is not always guaranteed
Productive and Fun Environment
SALES ASSOCIATE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92123April 28, 2017
Everyone is super welcoming and supportive of each others success. Shift coverage is super easy, and theirs always someone willing to help a coworker out. Management does an amazing job communicating expectations and corrections among employees.
Pros
employee discount, great social network, great environment, awesome management
Cons
break room
Very productive and well managed
Processor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 28, 2017
It was a very strict but fun job and good crew to be a part of everybody worked well together at times the job got tuff but nothing I couldn't handle plus I had the opportunity to work with people from all over the world managers wasn't too bad they wanted us to do a job and we did it 100% the hardest part was doing someone else's job cause they were too lazy .
Fun workplace with awesome people
Men's Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJApril 27, 2017
I loved working here. I learned to be way more time efficient with certain projects in a busy environment. It taught me that you can be professional, get things done and have fun all at the same time. In my experience my managers were great. Very approachable. The most enjoyable part of the job was working the floor and changing displays and mannequins.
Pros
Awesome work atmosphere
Very serious place with great workers
Warehouse packer (Former Employee) –  Gap, PA 17527April 26, 2017
Very productive place where I learned a lot of things like packing and labeling the packages which contained clothes, makeup, lingerie, etc. Also it enhanced my computer applications skills.
Terrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAApril 26, 2017
Coworkers aren't friendly. Everything was extremely unfriendly. Managers were power hungry and would yell at you for whatever reason they could find. Would not recommend.
Decent Job
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 23, 2017
This was a great place to work. Their are multiple departments that you can be promoted to when opening are available. However, no pay increase comes with those "promotions" unless being promoted to supervisor. There is a high turnover rate primarily due to the point system. It is not designed to protect loyal employees are everyone is grouped together when it comes to point. A person who calls in due to a toothache will receive the same points as someone who was in a severe car accident on their way to work. Excuses are not accepted even for extreme cases. Also, each set of points take 6 months from the date received to rollover. This made coming to work stressful.
Pros
Laid back environment. Easy job. good benefits
Cons
Point system, no real advancement
Like a hone
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAApril 23, 2017
This place treats their employees incredibly 40% off on all clothes and 60% off eight items a month depending on if they qualify which most items do. Every day at work was fun.
Pros
So much fun
Fun
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2017
It was a great job. Everyday there would basically be the same challenges but over all something new every week. Customers were good and they really liked the brand.
great job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  stead renoApril 15, 2017
a typical day at work consists of picking orders having our 2 15 minute breaks and our one 30 minute break, the managers and supervisors at urban are pretty friendly it was an enjoyable job to work at and i would love to go back.
Urban Reno Retail........stay away of this place !
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 15, 2017
A typical day of work...slave job, unskilled brutish work.
Management is horrible, disorganized. Place was ruled by nepotism..... "union style" hourly employees...HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT AS IS BEST !
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Hostile work environment
Fun place to work because of the friendships you make
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 14, 2017
Great customer interactions as well as horrible ones. The theft is out of control. I love the coworkers I have, everyone is super different and you have the freedom to be who you want to be at work. The upper management is really off putting and it's almost impossible to be compensated for your hard work. Minimum wage, and working almost all the holidays and weekends, for a good discount but that's it. At least I have lifelong friendships I've made through coworkers and customers. The benefits are also really good.
Pros
discount
Cons
working holidays, minimum wage, no raises, overworked, assaulted, cussed at, cleaning up after people all day.
Changing Tide Leaves Visual Merchandisers on an island
VISUAL MERCHANDISING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
I used to love working for Urban Outfitters until they changed job roles & responsibilities. Looking for a company that values creative, hardworking young professionals.
Creative and Organic Environment
Sr. Wash Specialist & Sr. Concept Designer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 12, 2017
-sewing the actual styles
-organic jobs created for employees
-exec. management style needs improvement
-beautiful campus
-factory development was the best
Couldn't Imagine Being Anywhere Else!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 11, 2017
I love being a sales associate at Urban Outfitters. I've worked at two different locations and both have been pleasant experiences. The management want you to succeed and they're approachable and fun to be around. The company treats you nicely and no matter where you are on the "food chain" you get the same benefits.
Fun Workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
Working at Urban was really fun. It was super relaxed; we interacted with customers and tried to make their experience unique. You meet many different people that you will be able to use as networks for the future.
Workplace Culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
The workplace is scrambled and all over the place. There was favoritism and promotions were always determined whether you are close with a manager. Workload is also never divided equally.
Neat company, unfortunately low compensation
Menswear Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 11, 2017
Urban outfitters has a compelling product and mission, however it is marred with notoriously low compensation and poor treatment of employees. Promotion is not based on job performance and demands are unrealistic. However there are some nice jobs to be had in corporate, particularly in tech or operations.
Good college job
Pool Server/Bottle Service (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 11, 2017
I worked at urban for five years and made some of my best friends there. I learned a lot about fashion and grew a lot while being there. It was an amazing company to work for.
Great Temporary Job
Senior Sales Associate (Cashwrap/WACC) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
The employee benefits are great. They have a 401-k plan, offer health insurance and benefits to full-time employees, and offer 40% off discount with select 60% off items. The pay isn't the best but there are pay increases once a year as well as Christmas bonuses for all employees. There is a lot of favoritism in this company and the only way to get promoted (even if you're an amazing worker) is through kissing up to management. This job is perfect for a temporary job for college students and the like. It's easy to climb up the ladder but this job with change you and you will eventually get tired of the "hipster" mentality.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval