Urban Pathways Employee Reviews

productive fun place to work at
Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Urban Pathways serves as the first point of contact for homeless New Yorker's.We engage individuals “where they are at” through our strong network of services to help individuals move into housing and minimize the likelihood of ever returning to the streets.As a data-driven and innovative leader, Urban Pathways ensures that homeless and at-risk New Yorkers have the housing, services and support they need to be self-sufficient.
Pros
sheltering the homeless
Cons
permanant housing
fun and intereting
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 11, 2016
taking care of my patients taking care of there hygene making sure my patient is clean and groomed make sure house is clean and neat and tidy,,,,my day would be nice and time managed
Very productive workplace.
Peer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 14, 2016
There is always room for upward mobility at this agency and excellent benefits. I like working with my Supervisor and there are many educational opportunities.
Supportive management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
This company runs more like a family than a organization, I loved it here, but the pay is very low. Urban Pathways pays for your Masters Degree.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Pays cheap.
Helping those in need
Social Service Case Manager, (MICA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2016
This was a job that changed my out look on life because it exposed me to the homeless population of NYC, on a personal level, one on one and face to face with people who have lost all trust and faith in the system, but found it in me and many of my co-workers. This is one job I will never forget.
Pros
personal experience
Cons
City contract expired
able to create activities
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
I work for an organization that empowers clients to live independently lives. It is rewarding to be able to see client's obtain housing and maintain their apartments. It is a pleasure to see client's progress and obtain employment.
Pros
obtaining housing for clients
Cons
health care not affortable
This place was horrible to work for
Case Manager - Travelers Hotel Safe Haven (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2015
There was absolutist no accountability for action of upper management. The line staff was given very unrealistic expectations. The Director of my site was very rude and condescending. If she was having a bad day then everyone was having a bad day. When staff complained to upper management it was not long before they were terminated. The worst non-profit ever!
The enjoyable part of the Job
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2015
I've worked at this job for 6 years mainly because I have a passion for helping people. Urban Pathways is Client Centered and That is important when helping people. I will always be grateful to UP for giving me the opportunity to work my passion.
Pros
Client Centered Programs
Cons
Salary can probably be better.
Productive and Caring work environment
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Penn Station, New York, NYSeptember 8, 2015
Urban Pathways/Amtrak Outreach was one of the best jobs I have had. A typical day in Penn station consisted of Homeless outreach in the morning. Afterward I would search for shelters and Detox/Rehab for potential clients. I would also counsel clients and potential clients and let them know their options to help keep them off of the streets or falling back into bad habits.

One of the major lessons I've learned working with the homeless and mentally ill was everyone has a story. We, as a society, have a habit of judging the homeless and assuming they are in the predicament they are in because of bad choices and laziness. This has been proven not to be true. I have met former bankers, accountants, teachers, and army vets. Many with degrees. They have taught me that it is very possible for any one of us to become homeless and addicts. It doesn't take much.

The management at Urban Pathways were fair and supportive. If I needed guidance or help on a project, management was right there to help with encouraging words. This is the same for my coworkers. WE all supported one another and push one another to be the best case worker, case manager, and even supervisor.

The hardest part of my job was keeping the clients focused on the end result. The goal. Many have been homeless for so long that they did not have faith in the system or any other human beings to help them. They did not see the light at the end of the tunnel and assumed that being homeless was the last stop.

The most enjoyable part was proving my clients wrong. Showing them that it was very possible
  more... to rejoin society. I took great pleasure in finding placements for them or helping them through rehab. Seeing the clients happy and adjusted was the most awarding aspect of being a Case Aide.  less
Pros
Supporting Staff, getting off early ( 7-3pm work schedule)
Cons
Not enough shelters in NYC, Need more incentives for staff, not much room for growth in organization
Productive and fun place to work.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2015
This company helps its employee grow. They are always looking for ways to better serve their clients.
A typical day at work is never the same. You can walk in with a do to list, but what the day holds in itself is always unexpected.
The most enjoyable part is being able to help others find their way back to their family after 10+ years or back to a regular functioning society.
The hardest part of the job is when one of the client past away and you are the only persons they listed as emergency contact.
When I worked here we had a dynamic team and leaders who knew all the clients by name..
Security
Security (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Overall work life here at Urban pathways is great. Great work experience, great communication and great teamwork from the co security guards. Management is great here whenever a problem will occur there teamwork with our security is amazing. The Problem will be resolved. There really is no hard part area in this job but maybe just writing the incident reports and gathering all the cops and ambulance information. The most enjoyable part of this job is the excitement of being a security guard and meeting new people.
Pros
good pay, lunch hours
Cons
short on staff . needs more communication
So not an ideal place to be!!!
staff (Current Employee) –  manhattanDecember 15, 2014
A typical day at Urban Pathways starts out good however due to no structure by management my day is complicated. Due to new management that is forever changing their seems to be a lack of staff consistency. I learned to be self-sufficient due to not being trained properly on my job expectations. There need to be a system in place that shows structure. I don't feel Urban Pathways genuinely care for their staff or consumers. The hardest part of my job is dealing with management because when we have issues with our consumers their is no support. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is seeing my co-workers. It helps to pass the time. The most positive thing that I can say about Urban Pathways is the mission they have however it doesn't seem to transfer to the different programs that they may have.
benefits
Cons
there is no room for growth. management sucks!!! pay sucks
clean
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2014
making s system for yourself is key to get all the tasks done in a efficient and timely manner
Pros
the quicker you fnish the quicker you leave for home.
Cons
no place to grow
Supportive team of professionals
Team Leader Homeless Outreach (seasonal) (Current Employee) –  New York NYFebruary 20, 2014
Great place to work. The management and staff are very professional and supportive.
Pros
professional and supportive team
Cons
low salaries
i liked what i was doing so it was fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2013
worked with the homeless community and i loved it, loved working with them and helping them in anything they needed including my co-workers a very fun place to work i really enjoyed it
Great potential and well positioned organization.
Senior Case Manager/ Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2013
The organization has great potential and is well positioned for growth and expansion.
Pros
good work culture.
Homeless shelter for clients with mental illness
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2013
I worked for Urban Pathways in which is also called Travelers Hotel. Its for clients with mental illness and is a 36 bed unit, they also serve three hot meals a day, also have a sitting room in which clients can sit in and watch television from 6AM to 12AM daily. I would sit in the office and observe the camera system making sure everything was safe and secure. Also clients could come to me if they had any kind of problems, rather with other clients or co-workers and we would work out the situation, in which I would write it up at the end of my shift so the supervisor after me would know whats going on on his shift. My time at Urban Pathways was a plesant one I got along with my co-workers and the clients, even though they can be hard to deal with at times , but thanks to my patience and understanding I always got through my day. I have learned not to judge a person by just looking at the situation they are in because you don't know what they have been through to get there. I love to help a person which ever way I can because I never know when I'm gonna need someone's help.
Pros
3 hot meals a day, a safe and secure place to stay
Cons
health care benefits, payed vacation, easy shift to run
stressfull working with EDP
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2012
A typical day starts with a pray then you try to deal with EDP
clients that each have their own issues. Then comes medication
hour were I give them access to their medication and observe them
take it
Cons
not able to take a lunch or break but the hour is deducted with out pay
Serious, productive open for the conversation
Maintenance, Carpenter, Floor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 20, 2012
My typical day at current job is very active, and sometimes we have to work over time because the building requires a lot of time and attention. So far I have learned how to manage and maintain this building in an efficient way, where of course I have my co-workers support. Like every where this job has its hard part: finding the right way to give the directions and instructions for the tenants ( which are mental illness), to keep a nice environment.
The most enjoyable part is managing and leading my staff.
A growing agency with some infra structure issues that I have concerns about.
Director Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2012
Each day my work is often different from the next. I am a problem solver who assists program staff with best practices. I review clinical charts as well as identify issues of concern. I spend a large amount of time developing training curriculum as well as conducting trainings. I have also promoted a wellness and recovery based model for case management and clinical intervention. The hardest part of the job is being pulled in many directions and trying to fulfill numerous demands. The most enjoyable part of my job is conducting trainings, mentoring and working with consumers.
Pros
i have worked at up for 15 years and feel comfortable there
Cons
my position is being modified and i am seeking new opportunities

Urban Pathways Reviews by Location