Urbana University Employee Reviews

Short stay
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Springfield, OHFebruary 9, 2015
I only worked as a work study for one semester. I loved all the people that I worked with. Friendly and accommodating to class schedules and personal issues.
Tough Place to live
Athletics (Former Employee), Urbana, OHNovember 16, 2014
The provost denies people tenure and promotions if they do not publish in areas outside their dissertations. Basically, the work you did in graduate school that was supposed to launch your career is considered worthless here, and with your heavy course load, you will never have the time you need to do the new research projects the administration now demands for promotion. You will not have much in terms of financial resources, either, as every year presents a new crisis in which the university struggles to meet its budget.
Urbana
Clerical Administrator (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 8, 2014
Love working for this company great company. Would recommend to anyone. Great managers and life balance.
A family type atmosphere and a great place to work.
Accounts Payable & Procurement Manager (Former Employee), Urbana, OhioJune 5, 2014
Pros: free tuition for myself and immediate family.
Cons: struggles trying to get everyone to pay their bills.
Urbana University was a great place to work. I worked I the finance department for 9.5 years. Not only did we respect each other, but we also cared about each other. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upset vendors. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and being able to be involved in campus activities.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Urbana, OHJune 19, 2013
Excellent work environment. Part-time status. Learned how to use databases and create on-line course shells. Most enjoyable part of job is lecture classes and holding classes at alternate sites such as computer lab for enrichment of curriculum and class syllabus.
Loved this job!
Drama Instructor (Former Employee), Urbana, OhioJune 2, 2012
I truly enjoyed planning and executing each of my lessons. I learned quite a bit about time management, organization, lesson planning and assessment. I also eagerly looked forward to each rehearsal and class. The hardest part of this job was leaving it.
If you want tuition remission and and you work well (and hard) without supervision, go for it
Site Coordinator/Adult Admissions (Former Employee), Dayton, Ohio branch campusMarch 20, 2012
Pros: tuition assistance, good vacation accrual, some health insurance, tiaa-cref retirement available
Cons: campus politics/conflicts, perpetually understaffed
As with any employer, make sure you have any promises of salary or raises in writing -- verbal guarantees aren't guarantees. Benefits are covered in the handbook, so you'll get what's in the handbook as far as insurance, vacation accrual and tuition remission. Pay is below average for higher education, but they do provide tuition remission, some payment toward health insurance, and TIAA-CREF retirement availability, so it may be worth it if you want to finish a degree in any of the major fields they offer.