Job Title: Nurse for Ursuline Sisters
The Ursuline Sisters seek a nurse (R.N. or L.P.N.) with experience in gerontology to help care for the sisters at the Ursuline Motherhouse Community and/or during the Motherhouse Healthcare Director’s absence. This person will oversee medical appointments, and if on call, accompany or meet any Ursuline Sister requiring care in a hospital emergency room. This person will monitor a sister being hospitalized and will report information to the appropriate Ursuline Sister and others as needed. This person will be expected to perform therapeutic procedures as prescribed by a physician. This person must be compassionate and caring, have graduated from an accredited school of professional nursing, and have a minimum of five years nursing experience in the field of gerontology. Position offers competitive salary and benefits package.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee medical appointments for specific Sisters, including scheduling and, going to appointments, when necessary, and providing follow-up reports to the UM Healthcare Director.
- Accompany/meet with (if on call) a Sister at the hospital from the Motherhouse or Mercy Sacred Heart and remain with her in ER until she is assigned a room, if it’s deemed necessary that she should need to stay.
- Monitor a Sister when she is in the hospital by:
- daily visits for observation,
- obtaining update reports from medical staff, and
- providing a report to the UM Healthcare Director and other appropriate Ursuline Sisters and individuals as needed.
- Be on-call to serve as a substitute in the absence of the UM Healthcare Director,
- Perform therapeutic procedures prescribed by the physician.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or physical ability required:
Approach in nursing and working on a Team:
- Be compassionate and caring.
- Possess knowledge of and interest in gerontology.
- Have ability to assess and interpret information in terms of specific needs of resident.
- Have good interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team in planning and implementing services.
- Be flexible and approachable.
- Show evidence of update and competencies and needed continuing education.
- Be confidential and highly dependable.
Education and/or Experience:
- Graduated from an accredited school of professional nursing
- 5 years previous nursing experience in the field of gerontology.
Interpersonal and/or Communication Skills:
- Ability to assess a sister’s needs.
- Ability to relate to sisters with dementia.
- Ability to assess changes in an individual sister’s well-being on a timely basis, taking steps to share it with the UM Healthcare Director.
- Ability to communicate effectively with UM Healthcare Director and others as appropriate in a confidential and professional way.
Reckoning and/or Reasoning Ability:
- Evaluate changes in a sister based on what data exist or can be attained.
- Have creativity and initiative in identifying what needs to be done in situations and in arranging her work time.
- Demonstrate ability to make appropriate nursing judgments.
Special Skills and/or Abilities:
- None besides ones stated above, especially on Communication Skills
- Current Kentucky Board of Nursing License (either as R.N or L.P.N.)
- Valid Driver’s License