USAA

USAA Employer Reviews

Wonderful Company
Financial Foundations Representative (Former Employee), ArizonaMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Benofits
Cons: Only having one week to take and pass Arizona Licensing test
Work was full of back to back phone calls. Interacting with wonderful members and helping them with bill questions as well as going over products. Management and co-workers are always helpful even if you are not on that mangers team. It was very enjoyable helping member every day with the products they already had and introducing new once if member needed the product.
USAA: A City Within the City
Auto Adjuster III (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, great healthcare, incentives to get in shape
Cons: Short breaks
Located off of Fredricksburg, the main entrance to the plush gardens of USAA don't do the place justice until you are driving along the backroads of the sealed off compound. With ample parking for all employees and a dozen different entrances, this idyllic environment hosts three separate cafeterias, two gyms and even a nursery for small children.
A typical day at work starts you off at one of the Starbucks within the nearly mile long building, where you get your beverage of choice before moving on to your open air cubicle. These wide open and wall-less spaces are shared by a coworker, and the two of you start your shift tackling calls and helping out the membership with their problems. I never had any problems with any of my tasks as I always had support from my management, which while I had one manager in particular I learned the other managers in the area became like second bosses to me: never going so far as to be directly over my shoulder, but there if I needed them. The hardest part of the job would have had to be telling the rough news to a customer that their auto insurance didn't cover something they really wanted or needed, while the most enjoyable part was always listening to the smile on the face of the people you just saved from a horrible day. Always being able to say "We're USAA, we're here for you," made my days all the better.
Customers are #1... at employee expense
IRU (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 27, 2015
Pros: great benefits, great co-workers
Cons: sales, calls monitored
Company requires you to upsell their other products. If you're not willing to do it they will write you up. they record your phone calls and then monitor them a couple times a month. Made my job so miserable thinking about when the next shoe would drop that I just didn't enjoy it after the first two years. Quit and went to another company. The employees that suck up to management the most will get the most favorable raises and advancement. Those that produce, stay on the phone longer etc... they just get the basics.

Could I complain about the benefits..heck no... They pay well, provide awesome benefits and perks. Their car insurance, banking products etc are all top of the line.
Good employee experience with good benefits
Physical Security Officer III (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Good work enviroment, room for growth, benefits, fast paced enviroment.
Cons: low manning, long hours, not enough PTO, certain micromanager type of individuals as shift leaders.
As a Physical Security Officer III at USAA life was fast paced and pleasant. Coworkers always encouraged your growth in the company and there was plenty of training involved. Great benefits were provided and the overall work culture was easy going. Good transition job from military to civilian.
Very nice break rooms
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Very nice upscale building to work in.
Cons: Management was not very knowledgable. Micro management.
Make new contacts. Return messages in a timely manner. Have weekly meetings with management. Got along great with my co-workers. Hardest part of the job was the micro managed atmosphere. Best part of the day was going home.
Computer Systems Engineer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 26, 2015
Pros: benefits, 401k matching, yearly bonus, holiday bonus
It was an amazing place to work. Co-workers really made the job enjoyable due to the sheer sense of camaraderie and willingness to help get the job done. Upper Executive Management has the right idea. I really hated to leave.
Great pay/benefits but...
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Lots of amenities and great health benefits
Cons: Incompetent leadership
My happiness was not worth $40,000 a year. This job drained me mentally and tested my patience regularly. After 2 short years, I could no longer deal. Some people have lasted many years but it is very cut throat to get to the top. Lots of backstabbing and regardless of how much time you have given them they will forget you in a heartbeat.
Not having anxiety everyday is the best gift yet!
Wonderful company
InsuranceAgent/Advisor (Former Employee), Phoenix AZMarch 24, 2015
They treat our military like kings and queens. This is a company that will bend over backwards for the military. If you can make it through the training without shedding a tear of pride for our military then you have no heart and don't belong.
USAA
Hardware Support Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Data center is amazing!
Cons: overnight shift
Great company, it's USAA. Need I say more?

As a data center support technician I got hands on experience in enterprise data center operations. IBM Mainframe, fiber cabling, high speed storage from EMC. Great stuff!
Stagnant Place to Work if you're in the Call Center
Financial Foundations Specialist (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 20, 2015
Pros: decent compensation, good starter job, nice 8% 401k matching bonus
Cons: constant calls with no breathers, terrible health insurance, not flexible
You spend your whole day taking back to back calls with little to no breaks in between. Within 5 years I have had going on 9 different schedule changes that you must bid for and hope you get a decent shift. Management is hit or miss depending on the one you get. I've had 7 different manager changes over the course of 5 years. Job is stressful and dull with hardly any opportunities for advancement. Hardest part of the job is being stuck glued to the phone for 8-10 hours per day. Most enjoyable part of the job is that you get paid.
USAA Investment Advisor
Member Advice and Solutions (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 16, 2015
The position is almost exclusively a life insurance sales position. I was told to sell fixed-rate annuities yielding one percent to military members in their early twenties.
Fast paced environment, very customer-service centric.
Dedicated Response Associate (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNMarch 12, 2015
Pros: management, gratifying work, rate pay
Cons: healthcare, attrition rate, highly populated facility
Working at Agero for USAA was definitely a valuable learning experience for me. I had never worked for any telecommunications job prior, and I gained so much knowledge from my time there. I feel like I have an amazing grasp on interpersonal relations now, both with my coworkers and with my customers. Though I felt as though I had already mastered this skill in my previous work experience, I feel like working at Agero taught me a lot about time management. Working on my own, in my own workspace, for a specific client gave me the liberty to manage my time in the most efficient way possible.
Great job, uneasy workplace
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: fellow employees
Cons: no breaks- only lunch, issues with payment, scheduling
Management team left a lot to be desired. The constant feeling was that management did not care about their employees. There were always constant battles regarding correct payment, rules and regulations and scheduling.
Productive and fun work place
MORTGAGE PROCESSOR (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 10, 2015
USAA lives for their core values (Honesty, Integrity). Working for USAA is very rewarding as you support the military and their families with multiple products.
Company takes good care of its employees
Property Claims Associate Adjuster (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2015
Pros: amazing break areas. onsite cafeteria, gym, and medical services. 8% 401k match. annual bonus averages 15-18%.
Cons: repitious call center work. typical office politics, but no worse than anywhere else.
The work can be either repetitious or demanding depending on the position, but the company takes good care to ensure its employees' well being. The benefits cannot be beat. If you are ok with a call center environment, this is by far the best place to work.
Wonderful Mission and everyone is dedicated to it.
Sr. Management Analyst (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 7, 2015
Pros: great benefits, encouragement to young people to move up the ladder
Cons: this really isn't a con, but the volumes of work can be overwhelming sometimes.
Start early, leave late.
I learned a lot and there were plenty of tools to use to learn, unfortunately in my particular area there wasn't time to use them.

I had a great team of co-workers. Due to the size of the company there are teams that work on functions that in another mid-size company one person with a back up might do.
This environment leads to lots of collaboration. I would say this is the most collaborative company I have ever experienced.

Hardest part: due to size it is easy to get stuck in one task and not experience all of the aspects of a function. If you are young, be sure to map out your path and be clear about it with management when you start.

Also, due to size management can be a problem when the wrong person gets into the wrong position, but I suppose that is normal for any company.

I would recommend this company to anyone who is willing to work with a team and is devoted to the mission. It felt great everyday knowing I was serving those who had served us!
Military Based treatment of employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), SA Home OfficeMarch 6, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: treatment of contractors
The people at USAA are very intelligent, motivated and successful.
The environment is good most of the time.

USAA is broken up into companies, then groups, then teams. Often, people do not work together well because everyone has their own orders from different chiefs.

If you are a contractor here, it's like boot camp. You're never allowed...anything, There are gyms on campus, employees can pay to use, contractors are not allowed. No benefits, no insurance, no negotiating pay, no company sponsored anything, no Christmas party invites for Contractors, either.

It's difficult to transition to employee from contractor. Contractor work time is limited to 1 year, then you're sent away. No matter who says you are a vital member of the team, 1 year!

This company is a stepping stone to start a career.
With Joe Robles gone now, 2015, who knows what will happen.
Great place to work!
Financial Foundations Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix,AzMarch 5, 2015
Pros: on site restraunts and stores
Handled inbound calls from members to go over billing concerns, issue new policies. Processed insurance quotes for Auto,Renters, Homowners and valuable personal property. I really enjoyed speaking with the members. Helping to sure that their needs were being met.
Lacking in Innovation
Advisor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 4, 2015
Pros: secure company; somewhat flexible work/life balance.
Cons: low salary; poor executive leadership and management.
USAA prides itself on its military background and current support; however, they are falling behind competitors in digital innovation. There are so many internal guidelines and securities that it makes it next to impossible to get the tools needed, especially in the optimization and analytical landscape. Management appears to be very comfortable in their positions, passive aggressive in their interactions, focused on title, and unwilling to work collaboratively to bridge gaps.

Despite its shortcomings, USAA's employees are extremely proud of their company, many of whom have only been employed by USAA their entire career.

With that being said, I have learned that it is extremely difficult to budge a slow moving ship.
Member Service Representative (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 3, 2015
Its a very conservative company great benefits . The people or culture makes it a great place to work. Talking with members helping with their needs makes you feel like you make a difference

1 2 3 4 5