USAA Employee Reviews in United States

Best place in the world to work
Auto Adjuster (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 16, 2016
If you want a long career with a GREAT company USAA is the place to work!! They provide the training and have wonderful facilities in several major cities. Working with the military is very rewarding. You can advance quickly and USAA contributes to continued education.
Pros
training, healthcare, best facility
Most Progressive, Professional Workplace I've Ever Encountered
USAA Contractor: Mortgage Docs & Outgoing Mail (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 30, 2015
Working at USAA was unbelievable-- the sheer scope of the place, as well as the professionalism of people working there, is unparalleled. The campus is a universe unto itself, and has everything imaginable.

The only drawback is that USAA fills its lower ranks with contracted laborers like me, rather than employing people directly. My contract labor position was ultimately temporary. Furthermore, I typically didn't get sufficient hours to make the full-time wages I needed.

If you have even the slightest chance of working at USAA, do it! You typically won't be offered advancement opportunities, but it's worth it to see a 100% professional work environment.
Pros
extremely high levels of professionalism, huge campus with incredible amenities
Cons
not enough hours available at times, temporary contract labor position
Injury Auto Adjuster
Adjuster 1 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 20, 2016
At first was great, then the workload became unmanageable and management seemed to exist just to make excuses. "it will get better" Lots of people on stress leave, fmla leave. bonuses are great, health insurance is not that great. lots of time off, but you will need it because you are worked to death. Incoming call center enviroment, where you are told that you have been away from your desk for too long, and questioned constantly about your breaks. (even if you just needed a cup of coffee because someone just cursed you out on the phone). I was an exceeds employee who left.
Pros
bonus
Cons
being tied to phone, workload, management
Work hard but rewarded for it
Director (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 21, 2015
Long hours but good mission and good people. Noble mission and sense of purpose is a big attractor for people, as it keeps employees grounded in a sense of purpose.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, mission, low cost of living in san antonio
Cons
Work life balance and sometimes disorganized senior leadership.
Excellent Company with high levels of Integrity and Ethics
Financial Banking and Insurance Consultant (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 18, 2016
This is an amazing company to be a part of. Their Mission is truly exemplified in all aspects of the business. It is a fast paced environment with a strong culture.
Great place but a bit disorganized
Mortgage (Current Employee) –  AddisonSeptember 25, 2015
The attitude and culture at Addison did not mirror the rest of the organization. Salary and benefits are great. Serving the members is still the #1 focus even with rapid changes in mortgage.
Customers are #1... at employee expense
IRU (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 27, 2015
Company requires you to upsell their other products. If you're not willing to do it they will write you up. they record your phone calls and then monitor them a couple times a month. Made my job so miserable thinking about when the next shoe would drop that I just didn't enjoy it after the first two years. Quit and went to another company. The employees that suck up to management the most will get the most favorable raises and advancement. Those that produce, stay on the phone longer etc... they just get the basics.

Could I complain about the benefits..heck no... They pay well, provide awesome benefits and perks. Their car insurance, banking products etc are all top of the line.
Pros
great benefits, great co-workers
Cons
sales, calls monitored
Great mission, Leadership is not knowledgable
Financial Foundations Insurance (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2015
USAA is a great company to be a member of, but as an employee things are different. Managers are promoted due to their ability to succeed in sales, but not based on their leadership ability. Most managers are soldiers ordered to micro manage and do not know how to develop or care for employees. USAA Phx needs a major re-haul in front-line managers and first level directors. Unfortunately, favoritism and the good ol' boys club has taken over.
Pros
Great benefits and amenities
Cons
Untrained managers and leaders
Excellent Company, Employees, Managers
Member Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 11, 2016
USAA made the decision to close their Norfolk, VA office. We were provided the opportunity to relocate to either TX, CO,AZ,FL or retire.
USAA has always been a great company to work for. Employees were always considered in all aspects of work. Fast paced environment, always ready to assist our members, who being in the military, always depended on our expertise with their coverages. Hardest part was to leave the company, most enjoyable was being able to assist our military families.
Pros
Bonus based on profit of company
Stagnant Place to Work if you're in the Call Center
Financial Foundations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 20, 2015
You spend your whole day taking back to back calls with little to no breaks in between. Within 5 years I have had going on 9 different schedule changes that you must bid for and hope you get a decent shift. Management is hit or miss depending on the one you get. I've had 7 different manager changes over the course of 5 years. Job is stressful and dull with hardly any opportunities for advancement. Hardest part of the job is being stuck glued to the phone for 8-10 hours per day. Most enjoyable part of the job is that you get paid.
Pros
decent compensation, good starter job, nice 8% 401k matching bonus
Cons
constant calls with no breathers, terrible health insurance, not flexible
Productive management and excellent benefits package
Licensed insurance agent/trainer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 5, 2015
Wonderful open-door policy with management. There are many opportunities for personal growth vertically and horizontally.
Great educational and tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Slow to adapting to new ideas
Fun
Senior Service Member Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 19, 2016
Call center environment -- micro managed. Work/Family balance does not exist. Benefits are GREAT! Great co-workers. Don't be late unless you want to be written up
Best company ever
Associate Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 25, 2015
I love USAA, I had to leave due to a military transfer but I would go back and stay until retirement. They expect high productivity, loyalty and integrity. They offer excellent benefits and employee amenities.

If you have a chance to get into USAA, do not let it go.
Pros
in house cafe, gym, child care, prizes and amazing management
Cons
Managed like a military operation
Director Mortgage Originations Phoenix, AZ (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2015
It is a hard place to fit in culturally if you are not willing to take orders at face value. They are very customer focused and that was a huge attraction, yet that did not reflect in their treatment of employees.
Pros
Customer focused, good benefits
Cons
Have a big brother is watching you mentality to management
Cubicle Life
MSR (Former Employee) –  Colorado SpringsAugust 17, 2015
Was a good job however, I found it hard to be bound to a cubicle for 10 hours a day. Your breaks and lunches are monitored every minute of the day which was a bit annoying. And sales were based on transferred calls not actual hard sales. This created an environment of skewed numbers as associates would just transfer calls without consent.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Micromanagement
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 19, 2016
Amazing company with strong core values and mission. Really care about the membership and employees. Learned a lot about insurance, customer service and leadership skills. Very fast paced.
benefits
i enjoyed my job as a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 2, 2015
I loved my hours my co workers were wonderful and of course my customers that would compliment me all the time management was great i don't think I had a hard part in this job and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting out early and having to rest of the day to rest for the next day .
Pros
half off on my lunches.
Top 100 company to work for; Great culture and noble mission
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 7, 2015
The most mission driven company on the planet. The only company I have worked for where we put our members (customers) truly first. Our members love us because we go above and beyond for them. I will highly recommend this company to anyone that wants a company that cares about them and their career growth. We start every meeting with our mission which is to protect the financial security of the Military and their family members.
Pros
8% match on 401k, 18% bonus for all employees
Cons
Hyper collaboration; Networking is key to success
Very fast-paced
Financial Foundations Associate (K4244) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 20, 2015
Working with the military and family members of the military is very rewarding. Loved that they are involved with many community programs and fund raisers. Great company to work for and work at.
Usaa
Customer Service and Sale Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 5, 2016
Working with USAA has given me the best opportunity of assisting our Military Forces. With all that they are dealing with it gives me great comfort that I am there to help them when they need that assistance. When they are getting deployed and are needing help with banking and just advice we are there to listen and make their transition easy .
know that I have helped a serviceman, And knowing that they have one less thing to worry about.