USAA

USAA Employee Reviews

USAA
Claims Adjuster III (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 17, 2015
Pros: Gym on site, very secure location, great benefits
Cons: very short lunch break, late schedules with not a lot of flexibility for time off
USAA is a wonderful place to work as we serve the military and their families; however the ability to advance is very slim. Experience is not a major factor in promotions. The hardest part of the job is completing your work as you are not allowed any time off the phone to investigate claims, type letters, review policies or make out-bound calls. You are constantly in "auto-in" and the inbound calls come back to back without a second in between due to constant staffing issues. There appears to be a very large turn around in this position. It is not a situation where one feels they are set up to succeed. The facility is beautiful and has great amenities if one can find the time to enjoy them. Everyone at the company has tenure and newer experienced employees are not treated with any respect for their prior knowledge or work experience. Regardless of experience, education, etc. you begin the job here as a "grunt" and it is near impossible to advance.
fun place to work
Financial Foundations Associate (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: having different choices for lunch and having a store on the premises
Helping the military family with their needs from auto insurance to health insurance. I learn that if you truly have a conversation with members you can learn what they really. My co-workers were having to work with it felt like we were a family.
Great Work Environment
Financial Foundations Specialist, Insurance Agent (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2015
Love the USAA mission and mindset! Work is meaningful and and coworkers are a pleasure to work with! Management is great as well.
if not sales oriented not for you
Financial foundations specialist (Current Employee), San Antonio txApril 14, 2015
Pros: Benefits med, den, gym lunches
Cons: Sales job, micromanaged, no easy way to get to wanted position
I have worked here for almost 2 years. I stated before I was hired that I was not interested in a sales position or upselling. I was told it was not however after moving half way across the country for the job first week I hear drink the kook aid and get told there is definitely sales though they call it deepening the relationship. This work consists of leading a conversation to have the member tell a rep about events in their life so they can refer other products. If the member does not let you transfer the call for the new product the rep takes a hit. They also have to meet a sales metric called – more... business results. Weekly coaching is literally how you can sell better. It is a micromanaged existence and not easy to get out of as getting time off is impossible. You must look at a calendar 14 months out see if days are available and attempt to get what you will need off. No one really cares about you advancing either unless your sales metric is perfect. Also schedule bidding is mandatory annually. It is difficult to handle having to shift schedules and not knowing for a month what you will have to do to change your life, ie your shift may include a working Saturday which can interfere with daycare. single parents beware. – less
#1
Senior Lending Specialist (Former Employee), PhoenixApril 14, 2015
#1 Company in the country, number one in Arizona. Outstanding compensation career path. Best for military. What more can I say about USAA.

Sr javadeveloper
Sr. J2EE Developer (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 13, 2015
 Application development using Java web based technologies such as Wicket, Java Web Service (REST/SOAP based), WSDL.
 Review the code developed by team members.
 Discussions with onsite/client on project status.
 Participated in Requirement analysis.
 Participated in Design discussions
 Defect fixing activity as a part of system testing.
20 good years
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee), Jacksonville, NCApril 13, 2015
Pros: great benefits, pay and training
Cons: too much micromanagement, no real growth opportunities in the call center environment
I learned all I know today about insurance and banking through excellent training, a few good managers and a lot of great fellow employees. The hardest and best part of my job were the members. Helping them make decisions, sometimes through life's greatest challenges and knowing that I made a difference in their lives was the greatest gift I could have ever received.
good place to work
MEMBER SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE II (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 11, 2015
Pros: good benefits, excellent bonuses
Cons: non stop exhausting work
This is a good place to work with the caveat that it is very difficult to get time off to have a work/life balance. It is not uncommon to talk to 60 people in 1 day.
Amazing company to work for, the experience makes USAA the best.
Insurance Adjuster (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 11, 2015
Pros: Great bonus
Cons: Short breaks
A typical day at work as an auto adjuster is extremely fast paced, and you have to be on your toes at all times and do very well at multi-tasking.
I learned the best in class customer services to offer, learned how to assist all different types of people including in a time of urgency (example: at the scene of an accident) How to multi-task very well, attention to detail, and great responsibility as I managed over a million dollars while settling claims.
The hardest part of my job is sitting for majority of the work day.
The most enjoyable factor of my job is being able to assist those in need, being able to assist veterans as I know what it means to serve.
productive work place.
indexer (Current Employee), san antonioApril 9, 2015
Pros: Excellent work environment
Cons: Pay
a typical day for me on the job is pretty much 100% of my time on my computers. I learned all types of Microsoft application along with other data bases. My co-workers along with management are well of great independent workers. As far as hardest part of my job there isn't one.
Excellent work environment
Senior Insurance/Retention Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 9, 2015
The Company is an amazing place to work. Very strong Military background and Ethics. The company is growing by leaps and bounds.
Great Culture
Gave weekly presentations acting as Team Lead (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 8, 2015
USAA has top notch management and their culture is nearly without parallel; however, if you work in a call-center, it can get pretty tough.
Productive and fun company to work for.
Secondary Marketing Specialist - Post Closing (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 7, 2015
Pros: Many company/team pot lucks, cafeteria and fitness center
Cons: Finding parking was a challenge
Productive and fun company to work for. This company provided training for new positions and changes in company policies. My co-workers were extremely knowledgeable or their job responsibilities . This company provided it's employers with great benefits, a fitness center to relieve stress and a game room.
Great environment and employees
P&C Insurance Agent, I (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 7, 2015
I like working for USAA because they gave me the opportunity to receive my P&C license. It is an enjoyable place to work with great employees and good benefits.
Great Place to work
Tech Lead (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 31, 2015
USAA is good place to work. The Process is being followed properly and there is lot of fun at work. The only thing some of the team is giving more pressure to review the work because of the process. that is only one issue.
Working for USAA
Financial Foundations Associate (Former Employee), Phx azMarch 31, 2015
Usaa is a wonderful place to work. There is a great feel about the AZ campus. The on-site daycare was the best part about working at usaa.
Sr. DataStage Developer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 31, 2015
Good place to learn, friendly management, challenging job, good perks,most enjoyable part of job is learning and presenting as a team lead
Favoritism, poor advancement opportunities and sales focus
Auto Claims Adjuster III (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 30, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: favoritism, nepotism, poor management, lack of focus on claims
Great benefits but low pay for the industry. The mission to the members is positive but the treatment of the employees is not. Favoritism drives the promotion process and way too much emphasis placed on military service as opposed to actual, proven performance in the corporate setting. External candidates are given higher priority for promotional positions and the internal opportunities are limited to the "chosen" few as mentioned above. The work load is double than what an adjuster in the industry has to deal with because the job entails being in an inbound queue for the entire shift while still – more... trying to manage claims. The perception given to the members is that they have a dedicated adjuster for their claim is a lie and it is nearly impossible to get in touch with an assigned adjuster because the focus is on the inbound call queue. Metrics are measured by call center standards and not claim adjuster standards. There is also an emphasis to get "referrals", meaning referring members for other products on every call. This "selling" is actually held in higher regard than the job the adjuster actually does on the claim file.Poor leadership for the most part as the management is not in touch with what the job entails. They are just robots carrying out the "mission" set forth by upper management who has no clue on how the USAA name is being tarnished by poor claims handling. – less
Nice office... Horrible managers... Dispensable Employees
Auto Adjuster III (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Sleep rooms, new office
Cons: short breaks, micromanaging, no job security
I relocated to take the job with USAA. I thought this place was the best place to work for before I soon realized they don't care about their employees. It's a call center environment, you're chained to your desk, you're forced to do mediocre work because there's not enough time to handle claims correctly. Basically, if you want to be a glorified secretary and you can transfer calls to sign people up for more products they don't need you'll do great here. You don't have to know a darn thing about insurance or adjusting a claim. The only training they give you is online modules during licensing. – more... They farm all the jobs normal adjusters would do out to other companies. Enterprise rent a car manages your rental extensions and they aren't even licensed adjusters. Anytime a member disputes an adjusters liability decision and/or wants to escalate an issue, management will look at how long they've been a member and how many products they have in order to decide the outcome. Non-injury saves the company money so the injury adjusters can give it out like candy because half of them have no idea what they are doing but get promoted if they can get referrals. USAA completely let me down. I expected this company to be so much more. My manager was horrible the only reason why she was a manager was because she had worked at the company so long. Half the time she'd give my coworkers the wrong information on actions to take to settle a claim. Anyways, if you just need a job and don't care what it is then go work there. – less
Wonderful Company
Financial Foundations Representative (Former Employee), ArizonaMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Benofits
Cons: Only having one week to take and pass Arizona Licensing test
Work was full of back to back phone calls. Interacting with wonderful members and helping them with bill questions as well as going over products. Management and co-workers are always helpful even if you are not on that mangers team. It was very enjoyable helping member every day with the products they already had and introducing new once if member needed the product.
Headquarters