USAA

USAA Employee Reviews

Good Company, Good Benefits, Infrastructure Sucks
Auto Adjuster (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: facilities, tech, benefits, corporate culture
Cons: short breaks, no job satisfaction
Keep a few things in mind when reading this review: this was my first job after 6 years in the military, I am extremely motivated by my own personal performance, I am an Auto Adjuster so my comments only apply to my role as it is all I can speak to.

In the military you can give a soldier/sailor/airman/marine the worst imaginable task and they will reply, "Ok give me the tools and I'll get it done." This is my (and most of the veterans) largest problem working at USAA. You are expected to meet multiple metrics that often conflict with the mission of the job. For example, you must be available to take calls 80% of the time, but you also have to make calls out many people thought the day to complete your tasks for processing a claim. Well when there is only 2-3 seconds between a call it is difficult to pull up the claim you need to make an outbound call and dial. Essentially you don't have the tools to do the job right.
There are several examples of this dilemma.

What ends up happening is the claims department becomes a processing mill. Members think their adjuster is working on their claim, but the adjuster is really just taking calls all day wishing he could work on the claims assigned to him. To some (mostly us veterans) the responsibility to the member means more as it costs them both time and money when claims aren't properly handled.

The facilities are awesome, the benefits are amazing, the pay is decent. To some this is all that matters, this might be a great fit for you.

I don't question the leaderships integrity at all, I do believe USAA cares about members, and wants to do the right thing. However there is a lot to be desired as far as focusing on taking care of the members. I personally have had a real struggle with this, I want to do the job right. The answer I hear a lot from peers is "You do the bet you can with what you got," that mentality doesn't sit well with me. Let's fix it and do the job right. I hope this review is helpful to some out there.
Excellent company to work for
Medical Payments Claim Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: compensation and benefits are great
Cons: can't think of any cons
USAA one of the best employers around. They are terrific to employees and compensation and benefits packages are more than fair. I would work for them again in a minute if an opening was available in my current location.
Don't waste your time applying to this company!
Mortgage (Former Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 23, 2015
Great company but the management team makes the job difficult to deal with...If you enjoy being micro-managed this would be an ideal job for you!
Proffessional Work Environment
HMDA Loan Scrub Reviewer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, free lunches
Cons: contract work no insurance
Managers were professional job was easy you just had to work seriously to meet goals and expectations for your team. Co workers were great. USAA to really good care of employees.
Large company with learning and experience
Insurance Agent (Current Employee), san antonio, txFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: saturated internal market of employees.
Worked on computers daily, assisted insureds properly, advised on insurance needs. USAA is great at helping you build experience and helping you learn from where you are at.
Productive fast paced environment
Financial Foundation Representative (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great work environmet, a lot of widows, natural light, great cafeteria, great medical and dental benefits, complimentary securtity
Cons: occurances stay in your employee record permenantly.
Friendly co-workers, supervisors, and approachable managers. Great systems and tools provided to execute and facilitate employee job duties for faster customer experience. I loved helping out our customers with different options for savings and the many products available to assist in many life events.
Secure, strong culture, lots of company perks
Financial Foundations Senior Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: job security, great culture
Cons: micro-management, heavy call center environment
I enjoyed working at USAA for the most part, but I do not miss the heavily micro-managed call center environment. I was in school while working there and they back you better than any other company I worked for. Several other perks were available otherwise. Company matched 401K was solid.

My biggest dilemma was career advancement. While it's a great place to work overall, it is difficult to advance and get out of the call center side of the company.
Wild West
Financial Foundations Senior Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: salaries and bonuses
Cons: consolidated with merger to at&t and no longer in existance
Small area retailer for the Los Angeles market that set the tone for wireless, provided acquisition of customer base and service of accounts for credit worthiness and monitored for fraud.
A typical day
Auto Insurance Representative (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2015
A tpyical day consited of assisting members with anything they needed with a smile. It wasn't forced it was something genuine and made you feel like you did something great with your day.
Great company to work for
Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: positive work place, great bonus, great work/life, i can go on & on
Cons: short lunches
I love my job. I take calls from members wanting to service their existing policies or request new business. I service the call & evaluate their situation to see if we have a product to match their needs. I don't feel like a salesmen shoving products down their throat but feel good when I make that connection and they respond to it. I never feel micromanaged even though I know they are looking at every possible number they can find about my calls in relationship to how many products I sell. They have taught me so much in just the year I've started working there. I see a lot of reviews where they feel forced to sell and micromanaged but I feel they are stearing away from that mentality & taking a much more human approach to selling products. I do know I have the best entry level job & love my work schedule.
Great company to work for
Pros: positive work place, great bonus, great work/life, i can go on & on
Cons: short lunches
Performance Engineer
Performance Engineer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Goo work life balance and able to utilize my skills in dealing with the issues. Able to learn new technologies and tools. Team members are very interactive in discussing the issues
Internship
Health and Fitness Specialist Intern (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 4, 2015
This was the best company to complete an internship through. The health and fitness staff taught me everything I needed to know to be successful in my career.
Productive and Busy
Financial Foundations Insurance Specialist (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: building lasting relationships with my peers, compensation, the members!!
Cons: being on the phones all day and being micro managed.
I work with USAA members on the phone dealing with their insurance needs. I assist with servicing and sales of all insurance policies. I uncover unrealized needs the member my have and help facilitate their financial security. I am 100% dedicated to exceeding my members expectations to the fullest, making sure that when the call is finished that they are completely confidant in what was done.
There Are Better Companies
Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: outsourced workforce to save money
Enjoyed working there the first four years I was there. Then I started to see that the leadership was not engaged with the workforce. No expectations were set and positions would be removed to create beginning salary positions in other departments.
Amazing to work for
Analyst Programmer( Business Objects/Oracle) (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Awesome work culture

perks
comfort
new learning opportunity
professionalism, very good management
Financial Foundations Associate (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 29, 2015
USAA was a great place to work and the company really cared about its employees.
great benefits
Order Entry Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 28, 2015
highly recommend USAA as a great place to work
learned stucture
co-workers became great friends
i enjoy working at USAA
working at USAA and becoming apart of a great family
Nice place to work
Financial Foundations Associate - Bank Deposits (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2015
Nice place to work, learned bank deposits, nice coworkers, great training program
great company
Sr. Mortgage Processor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: angry members
A typical day at work was answering the phone and assisting members with loan questions. Helping the processors move the loans along. Supervising loan processors.

I enjoyed knowing that the company does not lay off, they only move to another department.

I learned a lot about the military lifestyle which aided in doing my job he the fullest