USAA Employee Reviews

Excellent for employees
Financial Foundations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaMay 5, 2017
USAA is an amazing company to work for. They focus on employment satisfaction in order to ensure company success. The workplace culture and work/life balance is fantastic.
Best company
Mortgage Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  TXMay 3, 2017
I've worked here now for almost 3 years and plan on retiring with USAA, I love it here. If you are looking for a great company to work for look no further because USAA is the best.
Good place to learn the practical skills
Servicenow Developer / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 2, 2017
Its a good place to learn the practical skills which enhances our existing skill set and improvises our technical skill set. I never found any hardest part while working here.
Excellent company
Property & Casualty Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 30, 2017
its been a long time since working here, but I always have loved the company. I remember it fondly, and there was always excellent employee perks, etc. It is a genuinely employee/service member organization.
Great Core Values if followed, Kool Aid is Tainted
Auto Appraiser I (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 28, 2017
Long days and extreme pressure to follow guidelines, best time is quitting time which was like bed time. Always more worried about the members and how to deliver the Core Values verses the core business hours(8-5). CORE Values are followed in TX and there is zero exceptions or discussions for actual front line employees who are the real face of the membership and who really deliver the core values. The whole empowering the employee is a nice thought but when mistakes are made and errors are completed that cause delays in the whole process. DONT FIX NOTHING IF YOUR NOT SUPPOST TO! DONT BE INVOLVED IF NOT YOUR ISSUE! THAT'S WHAT USAA AS A WHOLE IS SUPPOSED TO DO. Well when its broke and you see its broke, even if you should not of seen it, wouldn't fixing it be the right thing?

Zero loyalty to employees that don't conform perfectly to the STANDARD and who look for solutions to issues. The hardest part is being told your dismissed for following the core values. Just remember apply the core values with USAA in the best light, not a member, employee or business partner.

So not to think this is bitter employee ranting, its just that the same core values I'm supposed to follow would of been nice if it was extended in the same fashion.

The most enjoyable part is helping and speaking with members, who mostly had no idea what to do or what to expect next in the claim process, hyper-service is great if people know what the steps are.

Typical day was stressful, relaxing, overwhelming, and mostly enjoyable.

Really wish USAA had more compassion to this employee, who worked
  more... his butt off and always asked for more with a smile. Worked with core values in mind right to the last 2 assignments done the day I was being dismissed, I even left with a smile cause I knew I DID WHAT WAS BEST FOR THE MEMBER, PERIOD!

I lived the CORE VALUES till the end and will continue to follow them where ever I land.
Honesty, Integrity, Loyalty, Service

MY team and direct manager are the perfect example of the core values message, wish best to them and sorry to leave this way.
Pros
free gym & health clinics at campus locations, for remote employee, Oh well
Cons
some work flexability, don't dare work out of core hours for the membership, did anyways and didn't care if paid, it was right thing to do.
A no nonsense job where everyone knows their role
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2017
This company takes care of their employees and pays for their education. They care about your career at USAA and do everything to help you advance. Seems o be a lot of perks
Contractor for USAA
Insurance Agent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Evans, COApril 27, 2017
USAA is a great company to work for, the contracting company, not so much. You are treated like a replaceable unit, not a person. There are little to no perks about having the job.
Very good company to work for
IT Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2017
Enjoyed working with the company, a very rich culture. Schedules are flexible overtime are always available. The only setback is when you are working as a contractor you don't get to enjoy the benefits l the direct hires get although you get to do the same job. Transitioning to a full time employee (Direct Hire/FTE) is very hard to come by.
Pros
Best company to work for if you are a direct hire.
Cons
Contractors are difficult to get onboard.
CEO Member Relations Advocate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2017
USAA really is one of the best jobs I've ever had the opportunity to have. The call center can have it's challenges, but ultimately it is what you make of it. I have a deep love for the military community and what they do for our country, so USAA was a great fit for me. The culture is fitting with my same thoughts and management always supported my ideas and development. My only complaint is the building size. It's literally so large that just getting to the office isn't an accurate timeline to start work. Once you're on campus, it takes another 15 minutes to get to your location in most circumstance.
Pros
Gym, job options, flexibility
Cons
Campus Size
Supportive company and many opportunities for growth
Property and Casualty Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2017
USAA is the very best company to work for. They are supportive of their employees and motivate all employees to further their education so they can grow within the company. USAA used to offer job share positions that would allow employees to work part time. They no longer allow part time employment, I believe this would be a strong assist to the company if they were to bring it back.
Pros
Supportive management team who works with employees to grow in their careers.
Cons
No longer offers Job Share/Part Time positions.
Excellent place to work
Senior QA Lead (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2017
Agile methodology with scrum meeting in the morning. Manage off shore team with assignment and review and update development team of any issues and questions. Excellent team work and knowledgeable resources.Management is great and lot of new technology are replacing old systems.
Pros
Lot of trainings with lunch
Great Company
Financial Foundations Associate (Call Center) (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 24, 2017
I have worked for USAA for two yeas in two different capacities. Although, I did not always enjoy the call center environment I always enjoyed the people that I worked with as well as the members that I spoke with on the phone every day.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
No office where I would like to live
work
Property Claims Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 24, 2017
great benefits but can be stressful. workload can be heavy. during times when workload is heavy have to work overtime in order to stay on top of work.
Call Center-Unrealistic Expectations
Member Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 24, 2017
It's a call center. Back to back calls. Manager expectations tend to be unrealistic in this kind of environment. USAA is a great company and takes care of their members and employees (great pay and benefits) however at the end of the day it's still a call center.

Not sure if this was just my manager but time off was a bit ridiculous. No separation between PTO and sick time. If you don't have your personal sickness planned it is seen as an occurrence and you will be penalized for it.
Pros
benefits, job security, usaa membership
Cons
work-life balance, back to back calls
Typical Call Center Environment
Financial Foundations Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 19, 2017
Calls are screened throughout the day. They know if you are ready to take a call or are away from your phone. Their primary focus is cross-selling, rather than helping customers. This is really the only way to get promoted.
Pros
Casual dress and yearly bonuses
Cons
Short breaks and expected up sell every product
Great if you don't work in the frontline call centers
Member Solutions Senior Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2017
You will Definitely feel overworked. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job managers expect you to stroke their egos. If there is ever a manager that dislikes you, you will never get out of the call center.
Great company
Member Solutions Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2017
USAA is a great company to work for and does take care of their employees. Although there is opportunity for growth in business, if you do not like being on the phones and answering calls day in and day out, the position may not be best for you. Many of the advancement opportunities kept you on the phones, but would make you handle tougher calls (retention, escalated calls, etc).
Amazing!
Licensed P&C Insurance Advisor II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2017
Great company to work for. They 100% stand by their mission daily! So much pride from the moment you walk in the doors. They truly do the right thing simply because it is the right thing to do :-)
Great Company
Software Developer & Integrator III (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2017
Its a great company to work for, but it is so micro-managed, it makes it very difficult. You work 80 hours a week with a 40 hour a week pay scale. As a new employee, it makes it hard to keep up with no OT, so you work on your own to make deadlines.
best place to work
MSR II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 15, 2017
greatest company ever. employee first. they care about your health, you, your family and the members. the customers are our military and their family. it doesn't get any better.
Pros
everything
Cons
cant think of one

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USAA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2