USAID

USAID Employer Reviews

Security Provider
Security Assistant (Former Employee), Wazer Akbar KhanSeptember 9, 2014
Keep an eye on everything to insure the safety. I learned how can I be strong enough to face difficulties.
Good job, work from home
Intern (Former Employee), College Park, MDJune 9, 2014
Lots of odd jobs with flexible hours. Ended up mostly creating training videos.
Review of USAID
SPPM (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 8, 2014

 Provide cross-functional support to SPPM team
 Work closely with Directors of Budget and Communications to provide daily operational support
 Work closely with Communications & Engagement (COMs) team with creating, editing and submitting print requests for fact sheets, handouts, info graphics and other print materials used by – more... USAID
 Assist COMs with editing of newsletter articles and updating fact sheets
 Work with COMs to create Administrator’s taskers
 Process travel requests
 Obtain country clearances via email/cable (eCCs) for travelers on SPPM team
 Process travel vouchers and document travel in Agency’s electronic system (e2 Solutions) – less
PROJECT COORDINATOR AND FINANCE ANALYST
Project COORDINATOR (Former Employee), DOMINICAN REPUBLICFebruary 6, 2014
WORK IN PROPOSAL DESIGN OF PROJECT, IDENTIFICATION OF NECESSITY OF THE POPULATION FOCUS.
DIRECTION OF THE TECHNICIAN TEEM SPECIALIZE IN AGRO-INDUSTRIAL PROCESS AND COCOA BEANS COMMERCIALIZATION WITH USAID SUPPORT
NEGOTIATE WITH LOCAL AGENCY FINANCING FOR REHABILITATION OF COCOA FARMER IMPACTED FOR HURRICANE IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
PRODUCTIVE ENVIRONMENT
Grants Manager (Former Employee), KOSOVOFebruary 3, 2014
Responsible for overall management of the grant program - monitoring, evaluation and coordination of grant-making components of USAID EROL Strategic Activities Fund worth $975,000.00 and the capacity building components of EROL grants program under USAID FORWARD.
Designed the Grants manual
Compiled an assessment report of the Kosovo Local NGOs and educational – more... institutions capacities working in Rule of Law sector
Developed Request for Application package of documents under USAID Forward
Designed implementation plan of the USAID EROL Strategic Actives fund grant making and administration process
Responsible for court monitoring data collection, reporting, advising USAID Forward 13 su-grantees on their advocacy initiatives, coaching, mentoring and on job training
Member of a Technical Evaluation Committee for reviewing proposals under USAID Forward RFA Designed the policies for ensuring transparent open and fair grant making process
 Provided on job training and advice to two main USAID Forward Grantees and 13 sub-grantees on project data gathering systems and reporting
capacities as well as their overall advocacy initiatives.
 Conducted organizational technical needs assessment of two main USAID Forward grantees, Advocacy Training and Resource Center/ATRC and
Balkan Investigative Reporting Network/BIRN; provided regular advise to both NGOs to successfully implement respective projects under USAID Forward
 Reviewed and recommended proposals for court monitoring for USAID approval
 Review Panel Member of several solicitation of IQC, Architecture & Engineering/Kosovo court Refurbishment Design and Project Management – less
Fast paced
Interagency Curriculum Developer (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 18, 2013
Pros: international work
Cons: insular
OFDA is the lead government agency for the coordination for international disaster assistance.
Productive and engaging
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2013
It was fun to work with different professional people with the same goal/objective - to make a change. I learnt that the there is strength in diversity and in working together. Though you may have different ways of achieving an outcome, just participating in those JAD sessions helped ease those concerns and by building on each others strength.

The – more... hardest part of my job was the frequent long overseas missions. Sometimes away from family for a long time. The most enjoyable part of the job was making things work for every key stakeholder. Listening to people from different cultures and designing a product that meets their needs was just gratifying. – less
good
Secretary (Former Employee), overseasSeptember 15, 2013
very pleasant people to work for. great working experience. good pay
Interesting, mission centered, excellent facility, wholesome work environment, professional and vast potential
Program Specialist (Current Employee), Washington DCJuly 7, 2013
Pros: benefits, consistency, quality people, good management, global mission
Cons: there are not any offices in states in us besides the washington, va area.
The mission of USAID is to provide assistance to developing countries throughout the world and to this end give people in impoverished conditions the opportunity to fulfill their God given potential.
In General working with JSI/USAID was productive
Consultant of Research Method (Former Employee), Rome, GAJune 28, 2013
Pros: free coffee and snack were provided
Cons: far away from where i live and traffic jam - thus driving made me tired.
Working with JSI/USAID was exiting and productive. The staff members who were working with were very helpful in providing necessary information regarding the job.
Productive and good Asset for the company
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Pristina, Kosovo US EmbassyMay 11, 2013
Pros: lunches.
Cons: nothing.
I have learned too much from this Company for the work for the Projects and the time and respect the job and co-workers, hardest part dealing with warious Projects.
standard operating procedure to improve the lab working management
senior laboratories advisor (Former Employee), egyptApril 27, 2013
working day starting from 8.0 AM till 5.0 PM
I learned how to be profession person
vice president is a good manager
co-workers very helpful
the hardest part is the limited time
the enjoyable part of the job is the good cooperation and coordination between me and the team
USAID is an effective frontline agency for advancing US Government influence and ideals of good governance, democracy and international peace.
SURGE FOOD FOR PEACE OFFICER (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 13, 2012
Pros: travels on tdy and visiting program sites and beneficiaries.
Cons: absence from family.
On a typical day, one reviews incoming communication on the status of programs/projects one is responsible for in the respective countries and provides responses and/or guidance for further action. Issues beyond one's authority are reported to one's supervisor for directives. Further data is requested from the field when required.

I learned teamwork, – more... data assessment and evaluation, the necessity for good judgment and the reward of hard work and constant learning of new approaches to obtain program/project objectives.

Management provides continual training commensurate with delegated authority/responsibility.

Co-workers are a valuable asset on account of the variety of skills,
perspectives and backgrounds that they bring to teamwork.

The hardest part of the work is that one is always "on call" when in the field on account of time zone differences. One has to keep Washington apprised of urgent situations in Washington time.

The most enjoyable part of the work is meeting program beneficiaries in the field and feeling that one is making a difference in the lives of others. – less
Planning and Organizing- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies allocates appropriate amount of time and resources to compl
Receptionist / Motor Pool Dispatcher (Former Employee), Asmara -EritreaAugust 19, 2014
Pros: exposure with multicultural society
Ability to take responsible for any given task in the sophisticated environment, and adept analyst of such diverse cultures and approaches.
I am an enthusiastic and a dedicated person, proactive individual with logical approach to challenges, performing effectively within a highly pressuri
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee), Kampala, UgandaAugust 8, 2014
Pros: meet new people almost everyday and from each person there is something new to learn.
Cons: you will never satisfy everyone but you do your best.
My typical day at work
Reporting time is 8:00am, I make sure am in office by 7:45am, 15 minutes I say hi to my colleagues, have breakfast with them while making a few jokes. 8:00am am already on my desk, schedule my programme by arranging my work from urgent to very important, look through the previous day then come up with a planner diary for the day, – more... with what to handle first then also put some allowance for haddock issues that come up like meetings, counseling of staff, attend to employees (grievances/conflicts).

I have learnt to work with people from different cultures, background, tribes and religions. Human beings are not the same, what works for me will not work for the other and human beings need attention.

Management of staff performance by making sure that employees are motivated within the available resources.
Its a five year project but I introduced staff welfare, which brings employees together, social gatherings like birthdays are celebrated and a savings scheme was put in place, staff are given loans

Worked hand in hand with the line managers, that staff appraisals are continuously conducted and gaps are identified, recommendations are made to close the gaps, which leads to better performance.

Staff go for trainings, employees have to be promoted those working hard, teams/individuals are recognized the set targets are achieved.

Entries, new employees joining the Project have to go through the induction process, the expectations are communicated both in written and verbally, clear job descriptions are developed and issued out. This helps new staff know what is expected of them.
Employees get to know about the Project in depth, why we exist and what we want to achieve (vision and mission), this is done whenever in a meeting to make sure that even the old staff still remember the initial purpose of the Organization and they are working together to achieve it.

Exit interviews are managed well, to help the Organization know why people are leaving then improve on the weak areas, by getting feedback from staff who are leaving. This gives us an opportunity to improve on the areas where we have not been doing well hence reducing on the levels of staff turn over.

Making sure that there is a succession plan policy put in place and practiced, human beings leave, die and even fall sick, this helps on having continuity, that when any of the above happens work continues normally. Managers and supervisors are tasked during performance appraisals on whether succession planning is practiced in their departments.

Conflicts among employees are handled well, fair hearings are put in place and all employees must respect the Project rules and regulations.

The hardest part of my job is managing welfare/motivation. different people are motivated differently and you can't meet all people's expectations. Like one may want a birthday gift of work shs.700,000/= but we have to work within the given resources. A birthday may motivate one and the other its not a big deal and many others. I have learnt to appreciate challenges because they help me improve my services to people and understand people more.

The most enjoyable part of my job is team work. Its fun and very interesting to work in teams, some people are humorous as you work with them they make you laugh even during hard times, other people have different ways of fixing problems, others want only their ideas to be considered but at the of the day you have a common goal to achieve. – less
student work camp
Internship (Former Employee), France, ThanJuly 11, 2014
During my student years I have participated in an international youth workcamp, which took place in France, city of Than. It was really interesting experience, which game me the ability to perform as a team member and then a team leader. It was one month volunteering project, which was filled with new knowledge and valuable experience in communicating – more... with people from different contries and building really good team. – less
lerned how to think stratigically
GFA Two Rivers & Southeast Manager (Former Employee), BaghdadJune 27, 2014
working with USAID projects in Iraq is a different story. this type of working environment makes you depend on yourself to be creator and can tell your opinion honestly without getting in trouble. very respective people working there and let you get a lot from there international experience.

working with USAID projects is the challenge itself in IRAQ.
Challenging and at times difficult workplace
Division Chief/Program (Current Employee), Kabul, AfghanistanJune 3, 2014
Pros: leave and compensation are generous and travel opportunities in the region wonderful.
Cons: separation from family, intense work schedule, and few opportunities for entertainment.
Much of my time is spent assisting the Afghan national utility, Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS) with both construction and commercialization procurements funded by USAID. This entails working with directly with DABS senior management in developing scopes of work, issuing bid documents, assisting them with technical and financial evaluations of – more... bids, and assisting in the negotiation of contracts. Project funding is run through DABS budget but with considerable oversight by me to insure that proper financial management practices are followed.
The lack of capacity within DABS and security constraints in being able to spend as much time training and assisting DABS staff can be frustrating. However, it is also very rewarding to see the rapid development of the staff and the marked improvement in their understanding and capabilities.
The work environment within USAID is a mixed bag with some very skilled and motivated colleagues working with lack of strong leadership and mission goals. With most employees cycling through each year continuity is also difficult. As troop levels have been reduced, the ability to get out to monitor projects has been significantly curtailed requiring greater reliance on contractors. The compound in which we work is also closer to a medium security prison than a normal work place.
Work weeks are six days and work days are often 10 hours or longer. This is compensated by a very generous out-of-country leave allowance. – less
NA
National HR Manager (Former Employee), Baghdad, IRAQMay 11, 2014
I have gained a lot of experience through my period of employment with RTI International since Jul. 2007- Apr. 2014. Specially in human resources management field.

Worked with a very high professional people, and I have learned from each one something different and new which allows me to get success and love my job day after day.
Trainer
Training of Trainer & Master Trainer (Former Employee), IraqApril 21, 2014
Pros: breacks, luch rest
Cons: the bad security
*Trained the employee of Iraqi MoEd on (ISO10015) 4 phases:
1. Analysis.
2. Curriculum Design.
3. Course evaluation.
4. Course Implementation.

*I learned form this job more about leadership & communication.
*the hardest part of the job is stay standing along the course.
*the most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with students.

1 2 3