USD Employee Reviews

Great School
Head/Food Service Secretary (Former Employee) –  Milford, KSJune 10, 2015
The typical day at Milford Elementary as a Head/Food Service Secretary was very busy. I started out supervising about 5 students in the morning until a Paraprofessional came into work. I checked AESOP to see about teachers being absent and printed out any substitute sign in sheets for the day. I answered telephone calls as needed. I wrote down all student/teacher absences on a white board for staff. I tended to students medical needs when the school nurse was not available (she was there three half days a week). I entered student information into SKYWARD and updated attendance everyday on SKYWARD for students. If we had not heard from a parent/guardian about a student being absent, I would call to check on the student. I had lunch room duty every day; which include that lunch count, attending to student's needs, monitoring students in the cafeteria. After lunch each day, I entered the lunch count into SKYWARD by ten key entry. I took monies for lunches, book fees, lost library books, t-shirt sales, and any sales the Student Council, PTO, school had. Once a month I took orders and monies for Books R Fun for students and staff. I would make sure a table was set up for the representative to set out his materials, I would add up the sales, fax in totals of the sales for each item to the company and I made sure the orders got to the correct person. I reconciled bank accounts in SKYWARD employee financial. I place and received purchase orders for the school. I ran and turned in reports for food service, school log hours, and all office reports. I disturbed the interschool  more... and regular mail to staff. I also bought and kept track of good student rewards. I was the receptionist, secretary, office manager, food service secretary, bookkeeper, enrollment registrar, assistant to the principal, payroll clerk, human resources liaison for the school, and part-time nurse.

The hardest part of this job was to get everything done in an eight hour day. This job is really for two people and an everyday nurse.

I really enjoyed working with the staff, parents, and the students. I got along very well with my co-workers, parents and the students. I felt and treated each student as if they were my own.
Pros
Loving environment and small school.
Cons
Needed more than one person in the office.
Something to do every minute of the day
Russell High School Library Aide (Current Employee) –  Russell, KSMarch 24, 2014
I start the day by grading online papers for those learning students off campus and on.
Since I am the Director of the Learning Center, I also have the credit recovery students. I have to be sure all students in my classroom will pass the class they are currently re-taking.
I unlock quizzes and tests on the computer so the students' can re-take them.
Check in and out books
Keep Nooks updated with new books and intact
Bar-coded every book in library
Adding new spine label to all books
Keep track of all books.
Laminate signs for sports and Spec. Educ.

I have learned the art of doing, not asking. Sometimes it can be very frustrating. At times, I feel helpless. I am the only librarian at the high school so I have no one to talk to if I have questions. When I have succeeded in doing a job well done, I am like a kid in
a candy store. The students and have a great time together. I learn from them as they learn from me.
One hard part was deleting the books that hadn't been weeded before. I sent 88 boxes of books to Better World Books.
The hardest part was learning how to re-label the books correctly.
Along with the easy bar-coding, was having to spine label every book in the library. I am using Destiny in the library which is wonderful.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles of the students' faces when telling how much they enjoyed the book they read. Every month I receive new books through the Junior Library Guild. I love presents!
Pros
have 6 weeks for summer
Cons
short lunch hour
Good atmosphere
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Ingalls, KSNovember 6, 2013
I begin my day taking attendance and lunch count and from there who knows what may come my way. With every day comes something new when there are students involved. I interact with young elementary students on a daily basis. I have learned to think about how these young children are still learning and growing and we have had time to evolve and they have not, therefore, give them time and be patient. Some days are harder than others I must say but I manage ha ha. I would say the hardest part of my job would be submitting the State reports as we only do these once a year at different intervals and it's a good thing I take notes to refer to. The most enjoyable part is the fact that I have made many good friends here and we are able to all work together and help each other out when it's needed. Also, when the students come into my office for assistance, some of them sure say the funniest things and I will remember them always!
Pros
free meals, all holidays, summer & weekends off.
Cons
considered part-time employee therefore part-time benefits, no pay for summer/christmas/spring breaks, or any other extra days off.
A typical day as an special education para
Teachers assistant (Para educator) (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 21, 2013
A typical day at work, would be greating the students as they come in the the building, the joy of the students excitement as they come in and are so excited to see you. Morning group, is where the class says hello and good morning to each other and other staff. individual work is one on one time with each student working on different task or skills in which the child need improvement on or extra help with to gain growth in the area. The management at the school i work at i believe is the best the school system has to offer, they are very open and if there is a problem they are more than willing to assist. They encourage growth and will help in anyway that they can. The hardest part of my job would have to be some of the adults there act like children. The most enjoyable part of the job would be to see the smiles on the kids faces knowing that i have helped a child with special needs grow in a small way.
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KSFebruary 5, 2013
Prepare classroom for the day. Escort SMD kids off the school bus. Help them prepare their breakfast and hygiene needs. Work as a classroom and work one on one with students. This inclued academics to physical therapy. Hlep them prepare for lunch and fed them according to their needs. Clean up and life skills. Prepare for them to head home and escort them to the bus.
The teacher worked works very well with the children and search out which para can better support the children with their needs. The co-workes work well with the child and often work together for the needs of the classroom. The hardest part was when the children becomes tired. The best time is when children are smiling because we have fun communicating with different devices. They may not speaks, but, they can communicate.
Pros
i was able to work as an individual and and fun with the student with management supporting me.
Cons
it can be tiring at times.
Overall, I would say I have enjoyed my position with the Olathe School District.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 22, 2014
I initially accepted this position, because I was in need of part time employment. My intent was to find something that would allow me to be at home with my children.

The absolute best part of my job is being a positive role in the lives of our students. A close second would be, working with such a wonderful group of people. I truly enjoy my supervisor, as well as, my team of paraprofessionals. My least favorite part of the job is when one of students is developing a behavior and becomes physically aggressive.

I am currently seeking employment at this time to aid in my goal of going back to school. It is my plan to start taking a few college classes by the end of this next year. It has been on my heart for sometime now to get into healthcare.
Pros
working environment, new challenges daily, children
Cons
advancement opportunities, part-time postion
Well-maintained and happy workplace.
Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Dallas, GANovember 1, 2015
Working as a head lifeguard at a pool I had a multitude of responsibilities, but at the end of the day those responsibilities were definitely worth it. A typical day at work for me would open up the pool, then talk to the lifeguards and make sure they are prepared for the day. Once the day was started I had to maintain a safe workplace for all employees as well as keep a fun and safe pool and pool are for all patrons. Managers of the pool would of course help me maintain the pool but as a head lifeguard I was there continuously throughout the day as the mangers were not because their job entitles that they take care of the whole park instead of just the pool. My co-workers were mostly new to the job but after trial and error I made sure they were exceptional lifeguards and well fit to lifeguard our community.
Pros
Leadership skills, daily exercise, and great working experience.
Great school district in small town America
UNITED STATES 7th/8th grade Science/Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leon, KSApril 26, 2015
I taught at Bluestem for 18 years at the elementary and junior high level. I only resigned because my wife took a job in Kansas City. Bluestem Elementary is a great school to work in. The principal is extremely good. Teachers are given the opportunity to teach without micro-management. Different teaching styles are embrassed and not stiffled. The staff have a fabulous relationship and the students are great.
Bluestem JH/SH School was a little bit less laid back. The teachers do not have as good as a relationship with each other but it is still good. Students are not pushed as hard at this level which is a weak point in the district
Pros
Friendly work environment, Trust and respect
Cons
High level students not given the opportunity for the kind of growtrh they need.
I love working with young children. Working for USD 305 gave me the opportunity to enrich children's lives.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSOctober 21, 2015
Fun place to work with a supportive team of administrators. My love for children made my job feel like home. I thoroughly enjoy watching the children make progress; some more than others ~ but every step in the right direction is what we need for the child to succeed. My co-workers are like family. We work together to create the best learning environment for each student. The hardest part of my job is working with children that exhibit severe behavioral issues. We can't always make a difference in this area and it's frustrating. The most enjoyable part of my job is to watch the children "get it"! The light comes on and they get excited to work.
Pros
Good benefits, working with children
Cons
No breaks with a scheduled short lunch, pay
Work experience with diverse population and classes.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 25, 2014
A typical day at work can be challenging because it is unpredictable knowing all the students I will work with that day. My purpose is to follow the teachers plans and make the students feel motivated to work and learn. I have learned how the curriculum works and to make teaching relevant and important for the students. Team teachers and students themselves are very helpful most of the time. The hardest part of this job is not knowing the students themselves and that they don't know me either. In contrast, the most enjoyable part of the job is when I understand the teachers plans and when I return to work with the same school or students, it makes my day less stressful.
Pros
flexibility to work
Cons
no benefits like insurance
Was a good job but not the best I've had
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson KSJune 15, 2015
they teach you how to use the proper utensils to complete any and all jobs that are put in front of you.

however they also have the issue in which most areas have where you have a few people that have been there for a number of years that are very set in their ways and there is no other way acceptable.

if they could fix that then it would be a great job.

my coworkers that i had during this job are people that i still stay in contact with and they have made a difference in my life and i really thank them for that.

as far as an overall i believe that they were a good job but i would only recommend this job area for people that do not "Wear their heart on their sleeve" if you don't do that you should have no issues working for them and it could be a great job for you!
proud to be a part of USD 428. I'll forever be a Great Bend Panther
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Great Bend, KSFebruary 9, 2016
I started at USD 428 as a para in the ED, specifically the BD room at Eisenhower School, in 8-2005. I absolutely loved working with these kiddos and in the summer got to work in the other classrooms of special needs children. I opted to leave the classroom for the para/bus driver position in the transportation department only because it was a full time position with overtime possibilities. I loved this job because I got to work with not only elementary kids but also preschoolers all the way to high schoolers. It was stressful as a driver knowing you were responsible for so many people. I liked my coworkers and mingling with the other teachers and paras in the school district.
Tech Support
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Coffeyville, KSOctober 3, 2014
I worked the USD 445 school district while I was attending Field Kindley High School as a Junior and Senior for OJT, after I graduated from Field Kindley I started working for them full time. I deeply enjoyed working for them. I made good friends and got along with everyone I worked with. There wasnt a single job they asked me to do that I couldnt get done or was unwilling to learn to complete. I was put in charge of installing and fixing security cameras placed in all USD 445 building. I would every once in awhile fix and or replace desktops. In 2013 USD 445 order 1500 Ipads to deploy to the students and staff members. I took the responsibility to deploy the ipads to the students. I deeply enjoyed working for this school district.
Transporting students to school is exactly as fun as you think it is
Driver (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 19, 2014
We always start by Pre-tripping the buses in our fleet. This includes checking fluid levels and lights, a quick walk-around inspection, ensuring cleanliness and making sure the vehicles are fueled before routes start. We then pick up students at arranged stop locations and transport them to school in a safe, clean, friendly environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to drive the same group of kids home throughout the school year. You can really develop a rapport with them through consistency.
Pros
flexible hours allow for other work, school, or errands to be run mid-day.
Cons
sharing vehicles with other drivers with lower cleaning standards. workplace gossip.
Enjoyable work environment
Secretary/Registrar (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, KSDecember 26, 2012
I answer the phone and help with parent questions, this is my primary job function. I also maintain the student records to make sure they are up do day in our data base and in our files. I also enter data regarding test scores, create certificates for staff incentives. I have learned new computer programs and how to work things work in a school district. My manager is very nice and a good listener. The people I work with are very good people and like to get together in social situations. The biggest challenge I have is getting the information I need from the teachers for their students' testing results. I really love the interactions with the students, they are always so excited to be in school.
subsitute
Substitute Para Educator- Elementary (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 15, 2015
I was only able to sub on 3 different occasions. Each time i subbed i worked with the special needs students. I was called at the last minute. When i arrived at the school the staff wasn't aware of who i was subbing for. The staff kept changing my schedule constitantly. The staff was very friendly and easy to get along with in the special education department, although some of the general ed teachers seemed like i was a burden in their class and didn't communicate with me very well whine came to expectations so they would ask another student to help my student instead of myself.
Pros
friendly
Cons
unorganized
Great Job
Maintenance, Special Education Bus Aide, Custodian (Former Employee) –  Haysville, KSDecember 6, 2012
A typical day at work as a custodian would begin by showing up on time at 4:00pm and beginning nightly schedule of cleaning. Once completed I would report back to the head custodian and work on any other projects he needed done. Great group of people to work with, great management, and overall I would say I was paid what the job was worth. As long as I kept to my schedule the job never really got to the point I could call it "hard", the most enjoyable part of my job was working nights and managing my own schedule.
Pros
awesome job
NA
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Wichita KSMay 28, 2015
Great environment. Lover working with the kids. Learned a lot. And the staff was very helpful also. Follow through with IEP objectives including math, reading, speech and developing independent skills, Communicate pertinent information to teachers
Supervise and assist students when included into general education classes, Implement behavior management techniques in accordance with the directions given by the supervising teacher (reinforcing appropriate behaviors in accordance with the teacher’s plan, supervising timeout, etc.)
A place that began my life in leadership
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  N. Jennie Barker RdApril 3, 2013
Typical day would be to work on people's time and than work on new employees files as well as those who were terminated.
I learned alot of the laws that go with working in Human Resource.
My co-worker was very good, he had full confidence in my decision making and skills.
The most enjoyable part of my job was having the confidence knowing what my job entailed and working with a population that was so diversified that i could relate/communciate very well.
Pros
work was very fulfilled
Cons
lunch times were short
Enjoyable work environment
Food Service Aide III (Former Employee) –  3800 N. HydraulicJuly 3, 2014
I'd enter by saying good morning and checking to see if any messages were left for me to return. I'd start unloading the cold cabinets and setting up for lunch. Serve lunch and start cleaning the kitchen for the next day. I learned that sometimes it takes more than patients to do a typical job; it also takes a positive attitude as well as team work. My co-workers and I all agree of the same. The hardest part of my job was lifting the food. The most enjoyable was making new friends.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
no breaks