USDA-ARS

USDA-ARS Employee Reviews

Important and satisfying work.
Research Technician (Former Employee), Dubois, IDMarch 1, 2015
Pros: gratifying important work. felt that i was valued.
Cons: working in goverment can be frustrating.
This was my life's work and I enjoyed it immensely. I was lucky to have jobs that exactly fit my training. I was directly involved with the research, implementing protecol, collecting and analyzing data and writing and publishing results. I provided animal care directly and through supervision. I was involved with surgery, laprascopic artificial insemination, real time ultra-sound preganacy testing, collecting biological samples and conducting laboratory tests for hormone levels in blood and tissue.
Was a great work environment, a wealth of experiences
AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (GS-9) (Former Employee), Beltsville, MDDecember 1, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: traffic
This job gave me a lot of different types of experiences. A typical day at work included working alone and then four hours later as part of a 10-person team. My co-workers were excellent and I enjoyed working with them.
Excellent place for work and research
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee), Beltsville, MDNovember 22, 2014
Pros: positive, cooperate and exploration
Cons: pace being a little slow sometimes
I did research plan design and implement, Data acquisition and high-throughput data analysis, and experiment verification.
I mastered research methodologies and new idea, obtained experience and skills, collaborated with my colleagures and
helped each other. My co-workers come from different countries: Africa, America, Brazil, China and South Korea etc.
I am very glad when I had new findings.
Productive and intense place to work
Biological Science Research Tech (Former Employee), Weslaco, TXAugust 14, 2014
Pros: merit increases
Cons: not much money to be made
same as before. Always helping to get the job done from working in greenhouses to conducting research and data collection.
ping-pong table, great scientists and people loved it!
Summer trainee (Former Employee), Mayagüez, PRAugust 1, 2014
Pros: centric
Cons: did not pay for summer practice
8 hours of work that passed like nothing because of the ambience, I learned a lot of laboratory skills, fumigation, harvesting and exotic fruits
Good teaching environment.
Biological Science Aid-Intern (Former Employee), Stoneville, MSJuly 24, 2014
Pros: experience and the chance to learn new things.
Cons: long drive, cold environment, uncomfortable work environment
A typical day at USDA-ARS was extracting DNA from moths for downstream studies, making artificial diet for rearing insects, and assisting lab techs on other projects. There was a lot of science involved, the hardest part of the job was taking it all in. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a project successful.
USDA-ARS has been a great experience for me.
Physical Science Technician (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORJune 26, 2014
Pros: gained experience
Cons: lacked job security
I really like the work I do. I work in a very large lab with multiple instruments and a nonstop flow of samples. The pay is ok but the work environment is great.
Great atmosphere!
Technician (Former Employee), Pullman, WAJune 6, 2014
My bosses were very friendly and caring towards the workers. It involved a lot of field work and they always made sure we had plenty of water and that we were not out in the sun for too long. Pay was not much, but it is meant for college students looking for a summer job or part-time work during the school year. Very flexible people if you cannot make it into the office because of school work or you are feeling sick. The co-workers were very pleasant and easy to get along with.
Developmental
ARS), Biochemical Research Assistant (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: time to develope.
Independently conducted grain lipid analysis and insect development research using various technologies including high performance liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, mass spectroscopy, Immuno-assay / ELISA, UV/Fluorescent analysis of proteins, and gel electrophoresis.

I was able to work in an enviroment which promoted taking chances.
Good people that I got to work with
Technician (Former Employee), Pullman, WADecember 10, 2013
The people I worked with were very fun and enjoyable. Easy to talk to and open-minded.
Productive day spent either in the lab or field.
Plant Genetics Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, MONovember 15, 2013
When we were in the field, we spent time weeding, self-pollinating and harvesting research corn. During lab time we would count seeds, and take inventory on previous years corn.
Good Workplace
Biological Science Tech. Aid (Former Employee), Stoneville, MSAugust 13, 2013
Good Workplace
Productive Environment
Educational
Outstanding Benefits
Loved it
Biological Science Aid (Former Employee), Beltsville, MDApril 7, 2013
Had a lot of fun, lots of nice people. Really nice area. The metro is fairly easy to take once you get the hang of it.
Great Place to work
Biological Science Aid (Current Employee), Logan, UTJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: paid leave
Cons: little room for advancement due to current government freeze.
Supervisors are clear about expectations and easy to talk with. Willing to work around my school schedule.
Productive and fun place to work
Research Molecular Biologist (Research Associate) (Current Employee), Parlier, CAOctober 28, 2012
Well equipped facilities and available funding opportunities.
Focus on personal and professional growth
Office Automation Specialist (Current Employee), Kerrville, TXSeptember 16, 2012
Fast paced, significant workload. Susceptible to congressional budget cuts. Fractured work environment makes interpersonal relationships between co-workers, minimal.