USIC Employee Reviews

USIC compares themselves to the "Army"? Huh?
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  McHenry County, ILMarch 25, 2016
Interviewed with a young 25 year old in a restaurant with tattoos all over his body and dressed like a thug. Red flag #1. This was the most unprofessional interview ever. The interviewer dropped F-bombs left and right and compared their hard work to that of the "ARMY", stating they work harder than our troops. Red flag #2. Uhhh, no, you are NOT the ARMY and locating utility lines is not fighting terror or saving our country you dweeb. I will not work for these pricks and quite frankly I hope no one does. Especially when the young snatch interviewing you explains how promotions are only doled out depending how close of a friend you are. Red flag #3. RUN, don't walk away from here if you are called. USIC needs a major overhaul.
Pros
Cons
Everything (Believe the reviews, I ignored them then learned how real they are)
Good Start, Don't plan on a Career.
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2016
I've worked for USIC for a good while, recently decided there was no room for Advancement at all in the company. So I left. This is a good company for a start or to get your foot in the door in the Utility field. But that's it, it's just a start. Do not plan on making a career out of this company cause it will not happen. You will work long hours. When I quit it was a 60/Hour or 6/Day work week minimum. Benefits are good, plus company vehicle. But other than that I wouldn't recommend this company to someone looking for a career.
Pros
Company Vehicle, Freedom.
Cons
Long Hours, No Time away.
Stay away
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, WIJuly 14, 2016
I worked here for a little over 2 months and while my coworkers were amazing, my supervisor was not supportive at all.

I was never home, and the pressure from management was so horrible that my stress level never went down even while I was at home.

When I asked my supervisor for a few days off because I was so stressed that I was physically sick he told me that he couldn't do that and if I took even 1 day off they would terminate me, I took termination

If you have a family or have any self respect stay away from USIC

Also the way they want tickets billed out is so they make the most money per job not by what you are actually locating, very dishonest company
Pros
Company truck to take home
Cons
Everything but the coworkers
Not paid enough
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYSeptember 29, 2016
Work hard, blamed for everything wrong. Doesn't give new/reliable equipment. Been waiting over a year to get the key fob to even be able to look at semi correct prints. Pay is horibble compared to risky work environment like standing in the middle of roads finding pipes and cable. Not appreciated. If on call have to block out that day from doing anything personal meanwhile you might not even get one call and therefore make zero dollars for your block.of time that you could have been doing what you want.
Pros
Work car, laptop
Cons
Alot. On call low pay weather issues while still needing to work.
Work is easy, not a lot of promotion availability.
Locator (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 26, 2016
Management isn't great, training taught us nothing about our day to day job, a lot of self supervision can barely get a hold of anyone to come help you when you're in a situation they blame you for anything that goes wrong even if it's not your fault because it's easier for them they talk about the possibility of promotion but unless somebody quits that's the only way you move up to another position if you're the one pic for that position been there for six months and make the same amount as someone who has been here for four years.
Pros
Self supervision
Cons
No promotion availability
Slave Labor Mill for horrible pay
district manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJanuary 21, 2016
This company treats its employees like cattle. Pays a ridiculous pay rate that one cannot support their family on. Expects their field techs to give up their family lives and will dog them out and let them go if they don't. The training is a joke as it is all about the bottom line so the techs hit the field unprepared for what they are about to encounter.
They have no respect for their management and all it takes is an unjustifiable rumor and you are out the door.
Too many people passing the buck off to make the bottom line look good and no support for the people getting the job done.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
You have to give up your life
A decent company to work at
Chicago, IL Utility Locator/Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 15, 2016
USIC is a decent company to work at. The company requires a lot of your time working 10 hour days, 6 days a week.

Responsible for the correct, safe and efficient locating of underground utilities including telecommunications, cable TV, and gas. This includes taking time to thoroughly search for underground utilities in an area, properly marking the location, completing the necessary paperwork and photographing each locate.
Productive fast pacework
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 27, 2016
Typical day at work is locate electrical, cable and telephone utilities.
I learned that you have to be technical minded to understand prints.
poor management.
Co workers were friendly and helpful.
hardest part of the job was that you have to complete tickets to nit get back up.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
you have to walk allot
Run away do not walk !
Underground Utility Locator (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILSeptember 2, 2015
I worked at USIC for 9 years. Lots of talk of advancement however it never comes except for the locators who are literally close friends with their supervisor. Management talks safety is number one, which it should be then has you going into manholes without gas detectors and/or air pumps also locating by yourself on highways in all weather conditions. Then there is ON CALL. You work all day, which is at least 10 hours then work all night. On my crew this was to be distributed evenly by a rotating schedule however some locators rarely had week-end while others had it twice a month. When a locator who was being taking advantage of would speak up on the conference call the supervisor would belittle them.
I fell a year and half ago and broke two ribs on the ice. I was not given a raise that year. When raises came along this year I was denied a raise for the same reason. Insult to injury! All year I trained new employees, volunteered to help other locators and took ON CALL for others who has personal plans that day. I would not advise anyone to work for USIC. Apply at NICOR or COMED and make the big bucks at a union company.
Pros
work truck and cell phone
Cons
no personal life, dangerous working conditions and very poor pay
Long hours, low pay, high expectations.
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 1, 2016
Terribly mismanaged company from top to bottom. Terrible raise structure. Long hours. Locate tech is a CYA position because the company, the contractor, and the utility owner will do all they can to blame a damaged facility on you. If you enjoy low pay, slow raise structure, sky high expectations, and extremely heavy workloads, this job may be right up your alley.
Pros
Truck to take home
Cons
Management, pay, and long hours.

Want to know more about USIC?

Ask a question
Decent job all your work depends on your training
Utility Location Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 8, 2015
For a kid being out of college this is a decent starting job. The pay and benefits overall are not terrible and they do provide you a work truck. However, in the summer, otherwise known as dig season your pretty much working 6 days a week. So there is a lot of overtime but if you enjoy your weekends then this isn't for you. All in all it depends on your training. When I started we had a 2 week training class which wasn't enough because it was more book work and less work in the field. The people are actually pretty chill but the supervisors can be on edge most days so be prepared.
Pros
Decent pay, essentially make your own hours, by yourself 90% of the time
Cons
Contractors can be rude, depends on your location training can be poor
Horrible
Locator Technician/line patroller (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2016
Absolute worst place to work. Drop me dead right now. No raise and low pay. Perspective utility locating is hard and is a very desirable skill. If you work for a Utility company the pay a min amount of 20+ an hour. Don't be fooled guys
Pros
You have a job?
Cons
Negative, uneducated people, that are incompetent, to leave and get a better job. Okay stay On-call the rest of your life. I said all I can say.
Open self motivated work invironment
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 28, 2016
Mobile office/Outdoor work leaving you responsible to manage job duties/time management, completing ticket requests/maintaining company contract's
Pros
self motivated work invironment
Cons
truck doesn't get good gas mileage
Good place to work.
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 14, 2016
I would receive my tickets by computer on a daily basis. I would travel to each ticket and perform my duties by locating any utilities that are in the locate area. I work mainly on my own but there are other techs are in the area that I communicate with to ask or answer any questions. The hardest part of the job is being able to work in all temperatures.
You get your own truck
Utility Locating Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 7, 2016
This is a great job for someone who is single with no family. You will work long hours and weekends. Fair pay and plenty overtime. If you like to save money this is the perfect job for you. You can't spend if you don't have time to shop. Hardest part of the job is being, ON CALL...You can be called in to work at anytime, every 4 to 6 days.
Pros
You get a truck to take home everyday.
Cons
ON CALL and long summer workdays.
horrible
location tech (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 14, 2016
Good Starting Pay With Unlimited Overtime. Be prepared to work every Weekend during the year even thought they may only say as needed. Also be prepared to work 10 hour days minimum 6 days a week. The PTO is horrible you only get about one week total then and that includes sick and personal time. The company is pretty much a have their cake and eat it too. Worst company ever
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
Not a fun work place
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2016
Always on you looking at gps on the truck never work with you when asked about a raise or to move area you will be ignored and you get no help from manger or supervisor they will look for anything to try and get you fired all anyone cares about is them self
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Job is not guaranteed the next day
Great if you love outdoors.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 17, 2016
Management doesn't always help when asked. Most of co-workers are stressed or unhappy. You can find yourself helping others more than you being helped. Not a terrible company needs a morale boost.
Pros
Company Truck, Lots of walking
Cons
Elements exposure, Poorly managed
Locate Technician(current employee)
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 4, 2015
Don't let USIC fool you. They are a terrible company. I quit a job for this one, and was garunteed 40 a week with chance for advancement and bonus pay. i have NEVER seen 40 a week. The highest would be about 30 a week. They expect you to run all over for them, but give nothing in return. I tried to use my benefits and was told they are inactive. I have been with the company for a year now. And they say safety is their main priority, but it's not. It does not matter if there is a foot of snow on the roads, they will expect you to drive. I get called to Denver in bad weather a lot. That's a 4 hour drive. You are expendable to the company. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU! All they want to see is that you do all the work for bad pay. I take care of 3 counties by myself, and still never get my hours, and have not gotten a raise. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND FIND ANOTHER JOB!
Pros
work truck. work phone.
Cons
hours. pay. management. safety.
Terrible ethics
Locater (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 11, 2016
I was offered the job, went through the entire process, and was given a start date. Days prior to that start date, I received a call from human resources that due to "lack of projected work" my training was cancelled, essentially leaving me twisting in the wind. This company clearly has serious issues and I STRONGLY suggest you seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Terrible ethics

2.2