USIS Employee Reviews

USIS now defunct
Middle management (Former Employee) –  Virginia DCOctober 27, 2016
This company repeatedly lied to its work force to strengthen its appearance to make it more desirable for sale. It provided a great benefit to the US Government but sacrificed the employees to the end. Too bad it made the sale before going out of business. I was the exception and got out.
Micromanaged, overbearing and poor treatment of employees.
Pros
A stepping stone for me.
Cons
The upper management
Great employees with the ability to make a difference, but no support in making it happen.
Task Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 5, 2016
This company was not very employee friendly. It was not a difficult job on paper. As a Lead you had very little flexibility in how you ran your locations. Upper Management was not very available. The co workers were great, very friendly, and for the most part great employees. I think that Upper Management under values their the abilities of their employees. The hardest part was wanting to make change, seeing how it could get done. With little to no support on new ideas.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No support from upper management
Great company, Poor management
Utilities Locate Technician, June (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 23, 2016
Great company, terrible management in Oregon. Avoid working for this company until management in Oregon had been changed
Telephonic Nurse Case Manager/ CCM certification (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 3, 2016
Work telephonically with workers’ compensation patients, employers, providers, and claims adjusters to coordinate and assure proper delivery and oversight of medical services. Perform pre-certification process for prescribed treatment by gathering relevant data and information through clinical interviews with the injured employee, providers, and the employer. Evaluate and coordinates medical and rehabilitative services using cost containment strategies. Utilize motivational interviewing when communicating with patients by practicing reflective listening and responding with empathy and understanding.
Fun workplace
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 25, 2016
Great company until new contractors took over. Unfortunately my hours were reduced to part time after 18 years of employment. Most enjoyable is my co-workers and meeting people from all over the world!
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No room for advancement hours cut due to lack of customers
I only left because I had to leave
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PA 16127December 5, 2016
I enjoyed everyone I worked with at USIS. I was fortunate to have many positions with this company. I enjoyed working with my coworkers in every area I worked.
Busy
NETWORK TECHNICIAN(Contract) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2016
This is a great company to work for. You stay busy, and the work is consistent. Plenty of exposure to different types of systems to help advance your carrer.
Pros
GREAT ATMOSPHERE
Cons
NO REIMBURSEMENTS
This job is high classified and cannot speak on job duties
Security Training Specialist/Role Player (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJuly 13, 2016
This is a job that is highly classified and I cannot speak on it other than to say there is never a dull moment. The work is intense and one must be fluid in time and ability to be sussessful.
High pressure job with little to no upside. You worked from home and spent about 75-80-% of job was in the field conducting interviews and pulling rec
Senior Investigator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 6, 2016
This company worked under contract for OPM conducting background investigations for defense contractors, military/DOD and others entities needing security clearances for their employees or potential employees. The culture was a mixture of government/business mentality. It was privately owned and each year the push for more and more completions continued.

Every single year from about 2006 through 2013 the requirement grew higher on the investigators and reviewers with no allowable increase in the amount of time allowable for the completion of each case. Turnover was very high and internal surveys were ignored.

In 2013/2014 they lost their contract with OPM and all 2000 plus investigators were laid off.
Pros
worked from home and set own hours. as long as your goals were met
Cons
company refused to acknowledge time constraints place on investigators
Lack of promotion and job security
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 16, 2014
Work loads were in excess of 40 hrs a week but little overtime was allowed. Are of responsibility was extremely large and little consideration was given to the amount of drive time required each day. In four years I had 9 supervisors and 3 different CEOs. Co-workers were great but little contact was had as work was conducted independently. The most difficult aspect of the job was the unrealistic deadlines and corresponding metrics. All promotions were based on metrics and the system was set up to encourage failure. The most enjoyable aspect was the freedom to set your on work schedule and the amount of travel involved.
Pros
benifits, travel, work from home and schedule
Cons
Management, company culture and deadlines
Fun Place to Work
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boyers, PAMarch 26, 2016
I enjoy working at the places and a very peaceful work place, I work with very nice co workers. I enjoyed working with the customers.
Pros
Good Benifits
So Sad
Integrity Assurance Officer (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAFebruary 8, 2015
I stuck with this company for so long (even though the raises for "non production" employees were meager and they stole our ample vacation time) because I felt like I was doing something good for the country. As anyone who knows how to use google knows by now, all of us who put effort into keeping the bad guys from getting a clearance were voided out by upper management and investors who turned our company into a shell of what it was in the name of big bonuses for the few whose only exceptional talent was that they had no moral compass. I was laid off from my job after 7 years so that USIS could move my and my teammates' positions to the Falls Church HQs so that they could be closer to our CEO and head of security. What they really wanted to do was put people in place who would not adhere to our federal contracts and not tell OPM when they found shady things going on. It was sad, I was angry etc. I moved on. Looking back and having the perspective of a new and (so far) better job, I recognize more of how bad the company culture was. Thanks for the skills I guess, no thanks for the psychological effects that magically disappeared as soon as I started a new job. Door closed, window open.
This is the worst company I have ever worked for... EVER
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2014
I have worked for USIS in several capacities. At this point, I do not recommend the investigator position to anyone. The role of the investigator (who actually doesn't conduct any investigations) is that of a glorified verifier. Its a modern day sweatshop. Entirely too much work. The expectations for completing the work are unrealistic and the pay is awful. Management does not care about the employees. Its all a numbers game. The benefits are awful. The plus is that as an investigator, you get to work from home. But that is the ONLY pro. I have not spoken to one investigator for this company that actually likes the job. I would not recommend the investigator job or any role in this company.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Management, unrealistic work load, horrible pay, minimal possibility for career advancement
Drama infused Horror Movie
Material Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boyers, paSeptember 1, 2014
a typical day at work involves sitting infront of a computer screen screening work over and over and over again. i learned a lot about the processes that our country goes thorugh to obtaine a clearance, however what is learned can only be used within the company, the experience or knowledge from this palce is very limited on where you can go with it. management is very lacking, there are a few very good ones, but most are here just to walk around, yell at people, carry a coffee mug and have a hush hush meeting with other managers and be gone for hours. hardest part about the job is keeping up with the insane amounts of overtime. the most enjoyable part of the job is the walk out to the car.
Pros
sometimes free food.
Cons
benefits are being cut and prices are being raised constantly, no home life due to hours, not flexible with life situations, no advancement opportunity, no discipline for the wrong doing employees and vacation and PTO pools were reduced greatly.
A good place to work
Investigative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAOctober 5, 2014
I can say I loved my day-to-day job. I was able to work at home every other day, which made balancing my career and personal life very easy. The local management and team leaders where there to help as much as possible. They made it easier to learn and grow as an employee of USIS. Due to the ever changing culture, at times it was very difficult to keep up with changes. It seemed something changed everyday. However, changes kept what could be a monotonous job very fresh. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job was knowing in some way, what I was doing helped keep our country safe.
Challenging work and constant 3 to 4 hours overtime
Material Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Boyers, PAJune 15, 2015
A typical day at USIS involves you sitting at a computer and doing the same thing for about 11 to 12 hours. as an MPT, you take requests given to you by various departments and print them out, routing them as needed.

The pay is good and for the most part you are your own manager as long as you get the work done. that being said, you don't really have a life at home as you must be willing to dedicate at least 12 to 14 hours a day to your job which is the hardest part of the job. you learn pretty quickly that on high volume weeks that you must abandon any activities that will bar you from getting your 6 to 8 hours of sleep. fall behind one day on sleep and one won't catch up till ones days off.

It is by no means a bad job and had they not gone out of business I would probably still be working for them. co-workers were in the same boat as you so attitudes varied depending on how much of a home life someone needed.
Pros
good entry level pay, decent benefits, 401k
Cons
no work life balance due to high overtime required.
Not somewhere I would want to stay at for the long run
Case Screening Technician (Current Employee) –  Boyers, PAMay 19, 2014
I've worked here for almost 2 years, and there have been some good times. We work OT everyday (2+ hours), not giving us much time outside of work with our families. They don't offer raises or bonuses here, so if you're comfortable making $11.61/hour for the next 10 years or so, this job is for you. The management here is not something the be desired. Managers chose favorites, and if you're not a favorite forget about getting a requested day off, or getting to leave early if you're sick, you'll have to make up the OT hours later in the week, even if you have sick time or PTO.
Bad management
MEDICAL BILL REVIEW SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 26, 2015
Poor management, benefits are decent, too may chiefs that won't listen to the ideas and recommendations of the people who actually do the work. No raises in years.
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
Management doesn't listen to good ideas
Long hours, bad environment
Case Screening Technician (Former Employee) –  Boyers, PAFebruary 9, 2014
Weekly hours were anywhere between 50 and 60 hours, with your work day having 12 or more hours everyday. You would get called in on days off. Your "permanent" schedule would change and you would not be informed.
Management was decent, so long as people weren't making up rumors or fishing you for inappropriate work behavior. Days off and holidays were difficult to schedule, "We just don't have the resources to have you off that day."
The incoming clean house was easy enough to see, hours were drastically cut to 20-30 hours, and everyone was watched for the slightest errors and then written up and eventually fired for them.
I learned not to trust anyone, not even managment.
A typical day involved trying to meet extraordinarily high expectations of production and quality. You'd have to do so many cases, so well, and my department always seemed to be just under the mark.
Once I put sound canceling headphones in, my co-workers wouldn't try to make up unreasonable rumors about me or anyone near me.
benefits
Cons
strict managers, barely any holidays, bad hours, no sunlight
Enjoyable workplace with flexibilty
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDApril 3, 2016
Productive workplace that allowed for growth within the company. Talking to different from different parts of life and the world was a great learning experience. The co-workers there were willing to help you in any situations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USIS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6