USMC Employee Reviews

Marine Corps is awesome
Technical Controller/Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCFebruary 9, 2016
The Marine Corps is great. It's where you can truly start your life and become something with the discipline you learn. I would not be where I am today If not for the Marine Corps.
Pros
Awesome Duties
Cons
Pay
Full of skills for growth
Squad Leader (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAFebruary 4, 2016
The USMC is full of opportunities to grow as an individual and to build leadership. A typical day at work includes training and bettering yourself and others around you. I have learned a lot from my time in the Marines. How to think and act under pressure, have a high level of confidence, and treat everyone with respect. The most enjoyable thing I have experienced in the Marines is bonding with other men and woman during harsh times and knowing that regardless what happens. The person to your left and right is there for you.
Pros
Housing
Cons
Any climate or terrain
Complex Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
Lead Planner (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VAFebruary 2, 2016
Building campaign level scenarios for capabilities development requires an understanding of Service and Joint Staff goals to develop plans that are productive in analysis.
Tradition of Service
Communications Electonics Maintainer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Some work days are slow and some are rather hectic and fast paced.
I learned a lot about leadership and camaraderie as well as electronics and my trade-craft.
As with any job some managers are better than others but overall Management had everyone's well-being in mind.
My coworkers were very good at their jobs and worked well together to accomplish the mission.
The hardest part of the job was getting the needed supplies to do the repairs we needed to do.
The best part of the job is completing the project you are working on and getting that sense of accomplishment.
Best
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 29, 2016
joining the Marine Corps was one of the best decisions i ever made, i was trained not only in combat but job skills and life. and will always be proud of the time that i put in.
its good
circuit card repair technician (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 29, 2016
it is a good establishment to get schooling paid for I think every one should have to do one 4 year term. it is stressfull but an unforgettable experience.
Working at Marine Corps Base Hawaii
Aviation Electrician (Current Employee) –  HIJanuary 28, 2016
Working amongst Marines and Sailors at Marine Corps Base Hawaii has had to have been one of the greatest times in my 22 years of life. I've learned so much from not only being a Marine, but from working side by side with other branches of service. Being in a mixed environment has taught me how to utilize tact when confronted with an issue, taught me how to manage different situations with tact all while maintaining the utmost professionality. Leadership training in the workplace coupled with practice has allowed me to manage more than 6 fellow work associates effectively. The hardest part of the job would have to be the continous changes in atmosphere working with different personalities and different backgrounds. But the most enjoyable part of the job is the unit cohesion, and the comradery amongst my junior Marines.
Pros
Unit Cohesion, Comradery, Professional, Leadership
Cons
Workload, unpredictable environment
fast paced high strung yet rewarding and affirming
Motor Transport Operator (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 25, 2016
work started early and ran long most days
I learned that do something deserves 100% of your efforts and never to slack of no matter how menial the task
leadership was taught as wells as practiced though temperament is always an issue and my peers were mostly hard workers and respectful
the hardest part of the job was being able to get everyone to work together in synch
while the best part was being taught life lessons and traveling for work
Pros
comraderie, brotherhood, travel
Cons
field ops, temperments, command indecision and command indifference
fun workplace very productive.
Crew leader/Operations Chief (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCJanuary 22, 2016
⦁ In charge of day to day maintenance in accordance with SOP on emergency landing equipment.
⦁ All communication with Air traffic controll.
⦁ Maintained a serviceable runway by implementing scheduled maintenence for emergency arrestments.
⦁ Managed a group of six personnel
⦁ Scheduled events for Annual traing exercises and requirements
Pros
free housing, 30 day paid vacation a year
Cons
away from family
Miss it
Installer (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Brotherhood and living outdoors, what more can i say? Military life is rough, but worth the experience. Talk to your local recruiter for more information.
Pros
brothers
Cons
limited freedom

Want to know more about USMC?

Ask a question
Productive, Learning Experience
LCPL (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 14, 2016
The Marines Have Treated me Well, From Learning how to Manage Stuff. Work on the Computer, To Learning more About my self, and Other Job ID's Ect. THe Marines Helped a lot of us out when we needed it, no matter what the problems were.
Enlisted Marine
CBRN Specialist NCO (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJanuary 14, 2016
The Marine Corps gives individuals direction in life. It offers young adults the opportunity to be a part of something larger than themselves.
structured
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 10, 2016
they offered a lot of good benefits such as education, guaranteed pay, and medical/dental insurance. very structured and good promotion rates. also good skills to translate into civilian life.
Pros
education, pay
Cons
rules
Fun Place to work at and familiarize yourself with customer service
Aviation Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  MCAS Cherry Point, NCJanuary 8, 2016
Supervised Operations department which dictates the daily operations of a Marine Corps Aviation Unit flying over 300 hours monthly with 3 different type model series aircrafts.
Implemented new tracking system enabling the most effective way in tracking and budgeting flying hours on a monthly and fiscal year basis with the use of Microsoft applications such as excel, power point, word and access.
Managed the budgeting planning on all flight activity to include flights within the United States and flights over seas.
Managed record management programs along with correspondence related issues within the operations section.
Responsible for the coordination of flights via CONUS and OCONUS working with outside agencies to ensure smooth travel.
Supervised and managed the Search and Rescue division ensuring all dispatch calls were handled in a timely manner.
Supervise and lead Marines under his charge ensuring a well balanced section
Supervised and managed over 400 Marines in the unit with achieving 100 percent complete ground training readiness on events such as; rifle range qualifications, water survival training, martial arts training and ensuring Marines were attending their respective distant education programs.
Achieved the Naval Achievement Medal on a Commanding Generals Inspection for receiving no discrepancies and achieving all noteworthy inspectable areas.
Created a Microsoft Database to track Ground Training events for over 400 Marines.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough pay for the amount of work
Best people to work around
Technical Control Chief (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 6, 2016
Greatest Job in the world. Great health and dental benefits along with training. Worked a lot but had a lot of off time as well. Would recommend this career path to anyone who is unsure in life but wants to make a commitment to their country and themselves.
Pros
Training
Cons
Deployments
Short and To the point
Rifle Platoon Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 4, 2016
Typical Day at Work: Involved morning workout routine of not less than a seven mile run, 7 different exercises numbering at least 50 4-count each. Classes on Close Quarters Combat, and various other classes. Weapons Maintenance or 1-3 hours in the Swimming Tank for Water Survival Training. Field Training lasted anywhere from a week to 2 months straight. Briefings of various high ranking officers (rank depended upon the mission).

Many lessons were imparted to me by leaders that left the Marine Corps before and after i departed. Compassion and Accountability were the two that stand out the most in my mind to this day. Compassion comes into play and is tied in with Accountability without exception. In order to correct a deficiency no vindictiveness must occur. Accountability however has to be maintained not just within lower levels of a company but in the highest levels of leadership as well.

My coworkers i do not consider to be such a distant word. The reason for this is that the infantry is not like other jobs. In other jobs a person goes to work, clocks in, says hello, works then goes home. The relationship is no closer than the next shift. In the infantry however, such a relationship is next to impossible to maintain when another man is willing to brave explosions to save your life. You can not apply the word "coworker" in that description. Family is a closer word but even that rings hollow. The few civilians i have worked with (usually contractors from companies assisting in weapons use, maintenance, etc) have been solid and productive relationships.

more...
The most difficult part of the job is the highly kinetic nature of the work. Due to the nearly constant pace of operations, training and the nonstop training regimen, relaxation is not possible. The end result is that the Marine Corps Infantry produces an individual that does not desire to work near those whose purpose lacks on the job in any way. The Marine Corps was not difficult except during times when training new officers on a wide range of information not produced in manuals.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning aspect with new weapons systems and getting the chance to develop and improve the same systems. During these times a great many companies would arrive on base asking for a few Marines to test weaponry, equipment and other items out in the field. Weapons usually required time away from the parent unit in order to attend a range suitable for using he weapon system in question. Equipment almost exclusively would merely be issued at random for use in the field environment for a certain length of time. Afterwards an "After Action Report" would be written up and submitted to the company or issuing entity.
Pros
The Challenge of learning new subject matter/jobs, Physical Fitness, Discipline
Cons
Nearly non-stop pace of operations, Adjustment to those without the same commitment, difficulty in convincing new officers of proper courses of action.
enjoyed my years of service.
Leader, instructed and operated Ammunition trucks (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 1, 2016
though I enjoyed my years as a marine, it was not what I had expected. "higher management" were honestly incompetent, started off great and continuously got shafted.
Awesome
Marksmanship Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIDecember 29, 2015
It teaches you a lot about the working place and how hard you can push your body throughout your years of service. Co workers acted all like they where stuck in high school no adult activity among the junior staff of the marine cor.
Pros
good pay
Cons
No life
great opportunity, hard work, wonderful acquisition
0311 infantry rifleman (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 23, 2015
With the time i have spent in the Marine Corps i have had a wonderful opportunity to do and see many things that normal people wouldn't be given the chance to. I have learned many skills and many trade sets from my Marine Corps such as leadership, hard work will get any job done and respect is given where confidence is shown.
USMC outboard motor technician
Mechanic Technician (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CADecember 20, 2015
A typical work day consist of doing a physical activity to keep the mind and body in shape.
Looking over shop equipment and tools and ensure their serviceability. Conduct any repairs as needed on USMC equipment.
The most enjoyable aspect for me is sharing knowledge of how to fix a outboard motor safely and work in a professional manor. The hardest part of this job is when we do not have the needed funding to fix any boats or motors and have to being inventive to make it work because of our deadlines. I also enjoy training several marines over the years on working at an outboard motor shop.
Pros
fun work experience
Cons
lack of communication from supervisor

4.5