UT Health Science Center at Houston

UT Health Science Center at Houston Employee Reviews

Outreach Pathology Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 5, 2015
I do a little bit of everyting to keep the lab I work in operational. Great benefits and very accomodating when requesting time off.
Senior Financial Support Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 29, 2015
Pros: great advancement
Cons: NONE
I have zero complaints about this employer. I was there for a short amount f time and gained so much knowledge. The employees are nice, kind, and helpful.
Excellent
Administrative Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 28, 2015
I enjoyed fast-paced and challenging opportunity. My short tenure at UTHealth provided me with whole new skill sets and equipped me with experience in running clinics and clinical labs, healthcare experience, conducting clinical studies - specially in Organ Transplantation. This has opened up new career adventures in healthcare sector.
Multidisciplinary Biomedical Research Center.
Assistant Professor, research track. (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 4, 2015
Multidisciplinary Biomedical Research Center. Stimulating environment, extensive network of lab and research covering almost all biomedical disciplines. Lots of opportunity. Good Benefits.
Excellent opportunity to learn and provide care to patients.
Patient Representative (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2015
I enjoyed being able to work with the Department Chief of Vascular Surgery as I was able to provide clinical and office support. A typical clinical day would start at seven in the morning with seventy patients on the schedule for one provider. Fast paced clinic where I would manage clinic work flow and direct fellow co-workers on task to be completed and managed time. Scheduled, ambulated, and provided wound care for patients in our San Antonio, Uvalde, and Del Rio clinic locations. Typical day in the back office would entail scheduling post operative, follow-up, and new patients to the clinic. Obtaining medical records, managing incoming and outgoing referrals, scheduling patients at outside facilities for surgical procedures and required testing.

Hardest task would have to be completing everything within a strict time frame, however great satisfaction was obtained as I was able to do so. Being able to get along and create strong relationships with my co-workers made it easier to run a clinic as a whole, an actual team. Having the Department Chief manage my work flow was not easy for others but it was a task that I greatly appreciated.
fast pace work enviorment
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2015
Maintain the workload in the medical records file room and ensure the medical records are kept up to date and readily available for physicians and staff to provide patient care.

• Pulling and retrieving medical records for various clinics.
• Sorting and filing medical records and preparing documents for scanning and processing.
• Purging inactive and expired patient records
• Performing front desk reception operations and other duties as needed.
LVN's
LVN (Former Employee), various locationsMarch 8, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: too many to mention here - proceed with caution
anyone considering a "floating nurse" position - think twice about it.
other than to use as a stepping stone after SIX month probation the position is nothing more than rooming patients - that is it - go to nursing school to room patients!! - no training whatsoever and you keep bouncing from clinic to clinic. the DON that hired me was fired 3 weeks after i was hired. needless to say i was hung out to dry.
Productive and extremely busy
Administrative Coord/Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: great community
Cons: can become overwhelmed
Typical day at the university; busy, productive and fun
Learned alot about the medical field
Management within the university is based on who you know and what you know.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the politics of the office.
I really truly enjoyed working the doctors, residents and medical students.
Awesome learning experience and great company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 17, 2014
Very busy position but loved the fast pace. The best co-workers ever. Learned so much about the medical field and met some amazing people.
Extrememly busy, challenging and interesting workplace
Senior Certified Coding Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: quiet, cool workspace and we can listen to music on headphones
Cons: short lunches and end of the month deadlines
UT Health Science Center of Houston is an ever-growing and changing workplace. A typical work day for me would be to process 500 Emergency Department encounters and look for errors and then submit them for processing. I might be working on the periodical coder audits or training a new provider in billing compliance and documentation requirements. I would say that the toughest part of my job is when we have to "recon/reject" an encounter to a provider for further clarification and addendum if necessary. Requesting the information is not difficult but maintaining a respectful understanding of the delicate balance between the physician's limited time and the need to know can be a bit tricky.

This is my first experience at working in Emergency Department coding so I have learned a lot about emergency services, FAST exams, RUSH exams, and critical care and the requirements for billing it.
Nice environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 29, 2014
I like the big environment here. It is easy to search for collaboration in this big Texas Medical Center.
Only if you are tired of Corporate America.
Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 4, 2014
Pros: retirement benefits
Cons: compensation
UTHealth has great employees and is an excellent place to work if you are no longer interested in working in Corporate America. However, if you are accustomed to a progressive and fast paced environment, UTHealth has limited opportunities.
great environment and people who care
Research Associate and Lab Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 25, 2014
There is great opportunity to learn and grow in your career at UTHealth with outstanding employee benefits.
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 14, 2014
Pros: healthcare
Cons: upward mobility
Responsible for analyzing purchase vouchers, journal vouchers, credits and travel vouchers in accordance with University and State of Texas rules and regulations. Prepared, processed and submitted state warrant cancellations, processed accrual entries and reversals at year-end, research and corrected vouchers that were rejected by the system, and apply coding to vouchers.
productive and fun place for scientific research
Research Associate (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2014
Pros – There are many amazing scientists, researchers and professors here who are wonderful mentors and innovative thinkers. Fantastic laboratory facilities.

Cons – This university lacks vision for the future of its medical students and the importance of medical research. Unfortunately, politics have taken over and many excellent professors and researchers are leaving. The university is being mismanagement by a bloated administration. They do not spend any effort on retaining their best employees. Salaries are being cut throughout the institute, people are being laid-off, and the researchers are getting hit the hardest. Moral is at an all-time low.
A great place to do internship
Social Worker-Intern (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 23, 2014
A great place to do internship. I learned to do psychosocial assessment and linking patients to community resources.
Culture of Organization
Business Development Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 18, 2014
The culture of the department is the responsibility of the leader. My philosophy is simple; I am here to serve my staff, community, leaders, organization, and the city of San Antonio. I motivate my staff through formal and informal education. For example, I work with an employee in an outreach scenario; I am cognizant as to how adept the employee is when presenting to a client. For instance, does the employee pick up the subtle cues from the client that says I am ready to move-on or I do not understand? My goal with education is an attempt to create a heightened awareness of the employee’s by building confidence and challenging their current skill set in order to grow. My commitment to the employees’ personal development builds trust and report along with a productive independent employee.
Another strategy I use to build an environment of cooperation and professional growth is storytelling and creating rituals. Sharing through storytelling builds confidence in the team by promoting small victories, sharing hard experiences and receiving different perspectives to move to a more positive outcome. Creating rituals, for example Monday briefings, drives the point of task achievement and identifies limitations. More importantly rituals provide structure and add meaning to the daily routines and work processes.
Finally, the use of delegation of task to cultivate team play within a department is articulated in clear long-term standards and goals to provide the employee the ability to maximize performance and personal development. For example, the regional consultants I manage have the responsibility of creating an action plan for the areas they cover. I use their expertise with the area culture, politics, and defined need to concentrate our efforts. This task delegation empowers the employee to develop a clear plan, receive feedback, and clarify the organizations greater mission at the regional level.
review
Occupational Safety and Fire Prevention Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 3, 2014
This is a company that has many great people in it as a whole, but for HSE it is only an entry level place. Many people leave because of the pay and the culture.
perform bioinformatics analysis
Programmer Analyst III (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 12, 2014
Pros: improve your analysis skills and communication skills
Cons: too stressful
contact with potential PI who needs bioinformatics service, talk with them with the service requirement, perform the analysis and get back to the PI with preliminary results, do further analysis and talk with PI again.
involve a lot of multiple tasking.
Good cooperation amongst different labs.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 9, 2014
Pros: small kitchen area on each floor with refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, etc...
Cons: parking is expensive.
Parking is the biggest issue. The staff is friendly, everyone helps each other out with resources, reagents, etc...

1 2 3

About UT Health Science Center at Houston

Located in the prestigious Texas Medical Center, UTHealth is the most comprehensive academic health science institution in the – Read more

UT Health Science Center at Houston Salaries