UT Health Science Center at Houston

UT Health Science Center at Houston Employee Reviews

Assistant Child care
ASSISTANT CHILD (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 18, 2017
Great job, very fun. The pay was low but the job was with wonderful people and in a great environment. Weekends off. M-F. You don't get to pick the room you will be in the rotate you.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
low pay
productive and excellent place to work
Sr. Grants and Contracts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2017
I must say I have enjoyed my work days at UT. I recommend working here to anyone soliciting a job. I typical day at work could be very busy with working for so many faculty. I could be jumping from one thing to another in a matter of 1 minutes. But I do like the diversity of the work and of the people. One of the hardest parts of the job is seeing people I've worked with retire.
Pros
Good place to work with great benefits
Cons
Factor in the cost of parking when considering a salary
Instructional Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2017
The position itself and the work it entailed was satisfactory however the cost of parking is not factored into the salary and this is a major cost in the area of $100 per week. At that rate, it's thousands of dollars over a year's time and UT does not provide any employees with parking accommodations. In addition, you have to be on a wait list to even be given the opportunity to spend $400 per month in a parking garage near the building you work in. Light rail would be a fantastic option if it didn't take so long to arrive in the med center, and/or if it didn't constantly break down.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Pay, Parking, Location
Advancements to favorites only
Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2017
This applies to UT Health Science Center - San Antonio
(NOT Houston) Qualified employees for advancement were overlooked for the sake of allowing favorites with no or little education to advance.
Pros
Large University
Cons
Advancement limitations
love this place
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2017
I love this place but, but I don't see room for advancement. It is very close to the house, and the people i work with are so helpful , and the vacation days and sick days are great.
Pros
vacation days and, TRS retirement
Cons
no overtime
Research Scientist Associate I (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 7, 2017
Great place to work. It's a hospital/university and there is always room for learning. Everyone is always helpful and understanding. Everyone works hard.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to learn
Day at work.
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2017
I work in the IMM building, my days can be relax to busy. Depending on what we have to do that day in the lab. I like working here, they have great benefits.
Great atmosphere
Academic Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 21, 2017
Great benefits and workplace. Work positions have a great opportunity to expand positions. Excellent school for students. I highly recommended university to work for.
Amicable staff
DATA COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2017
Very relaxed environment while doing meaningful work. The only downside is that it is on a "casual" status, meaning I don't get more than 19.5 hours a week, but after 6 months I can move up.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, reputable company
Cons
Too few hours, unpredictable schedule
N/a
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2017
UT is a good place of employment. The best jobs at UT are General Administrative jobs. Schools are very restricted with approvals and more process to complete some duties.
Enjoyed working with Residents
Residency Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Personally, I enjoyed working there; however the acting manager was indecisive on a daily basis, changing direction and procedures constantly. Co-workers were nice, but pretty much kept to their selves.
UTHSCSA was horrible
Director, Clinical Safety (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasSeptember 14, 2017
Management was terrible, workforce was competitive and did not like new personnel, new people above them in grade and rank was a threat and they did everything in their power to ensure failure. Worst place I have ever worked
Pros
Cons
management was the worst
UTHSCSA good employer
Senior Research Assistant in Biochemistry (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 7, 2017
Overall Univ TX Health Science Ctr at San Antonio is a good employer. They have great benefits and work/life balance. Lab positions are only assured while funding/grants exist under Primary Investigator therefore there is potential job movement from one lab to another to secure benefits.
Educational and fast paced.
Admin Assistant I. /PCC (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 7, 2017
Very fast paced, must be able to work under pressure.
Always something new to learn.
Excellent place to provide compassionate care.
Great benefits and retirement plan.
Benefits
Cons
No lunch, always working on your desk and have to be available all the time (even during your "lunch" hour)
quite awesome research experience in UTHealth
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2017
Yes. It is quite great institute with nice working environment and large number of public seminar and what's more the public health major is quite good especially Population Genetics!
Productive and interesting environment
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2017
The typical day for me was predictable. As a part of a DSRIP founded program I connected with the population being served, via telephone or in person. My position required me to perform home visits to control environmental factors that can cause or acerbate asthma . I learn a great deal about controlling for respiratory conditions.
I liked the work culture. It was laid back and diverse.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low pay
Good place to do research
Assistant Professor/ (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 21, 2017
IT is a very safe place to do research. You learn a lot from different researchers there. You get to know people in your research area. A place to look for collaboration.
Good place to start your career
BUYER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2017
- This is a good place to get experience as an entry level, learn what you can and move on.
- If you have a family this place will give you the work/life balance
- Don't expect excellent salary unless you have a managerial position
- Can become a very monotone place. Very monotone.
Great Benefits
Sr Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2017
The benefits are awesome the company is really easy and laid back to work for. The clinics are growing at a fast pace. The staff is really diverse which allows for you to meet new people and learn new things culturally.
Benefits
Cons
N/a
Not a bad place to work
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 29, 2017
*******This is for UT Health Science Center at San Antonio not Houston*******

Depending on the shift you worked and where you were assigned to worked determined how busy you would be... Over all the day to day wasn't bad, management was always out and about checking on everyone. There was plenty of walking to do on certain post if you were assigned to main campus you had to ensure you knew your way around the many hall ways, in case you had to respond somewhere. There was lots to learn as far as the lay of the campus goes, restricted areas, labs, parking lots/permits and so on.
Pros
Plenty of over time
Cons
Lots of walking and worked outside in all weather conditons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UT Health Science Center at Houston. Our community is ready to answer.

UT Health Science Center at Houston Reviews by Location