UT Health Science Center at Houston

UT Health Science Center at Houston Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXDecember 7, 2015
Fun work place with supportive co-workers, superisors, and lead techs. I learned alot at UTHCT Tyler in the microbiology department. People are nice and friendly, and took the time to train new employees. I had not difficulty asking any questions from my co-workers. They were the ones that put my feet on the ground to becoming what I am today.
Pros
All departments were a great pleasure to work with.
Cons
No cons.
fast paced
Pediatric Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2015
i was the biller and coder,back office Medical Assistant, phlebotomist, as well as insurance verification it was just me and the physician and a 80 a day patient flow.
Great Place to Work
Director of Prospect Research (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2015
Large office with lots of chances to learn from other more experienced professionals. Chance to work with a large variety of projects with different focuses and interests.
Pros
Mentoring
Cons
Many moving parts
No training, archaic technologically.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2015
UTHSC is decades behind in how they process their work. Too much still done on paper. Takes walking to multiple locations some distance apart for signatures and manually signing in paperwork. Too much repetition to do something that should be easy and online by now. Training? No, but God help you if you asked about something a second time. Facility is OLD and employees are packed into very small spaces. Sardines have more room in their cans.

Supervisor was extreme micro manager and hyper critical to the extreme. Nothing made him happy. Anything said to him would soon be thrown back at you as a criticism. QUICKLY learned to not say anything to him unless absolutely necessary. Not enough money in the world to be around him.
Cons
old facility, old ways of doing anything
Lively and supportive place of employment.
Outreach Lab Tech II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2015
This is a very fast-paced place to work. Individuals must be able to multitask. UT-Health allow many opportunities for learning and growth!
Pros
cross training in different departments
Great Work Environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 10, 2015
Fun, fast paced environment with knowledgeable coworkers and rewarding projects. Opportunities to work with healthcare organizations within the community as well as national research.
Pros
Location, Food, Coworkers, Job Satisfaction
Cons
Uncertain workload
Wonderful work environment
Systems and Applications Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2015
I worked at UTHSC-H for 10 years, and wish that I was still there. (I resigned from my position to be a stay-at-home parent.) The opportunities for education and advancement are plentiful, you just need to have the desire to go after those options when they are offered to you.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
The commute was terrible for me. (1.5 hours to get home)
Laboratory Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasSeptember 7, 2015
Great place to work, enjoyed working in a small office but robust team of dedicated individuals.
Worked on things from student relationships, scheduling, event coordination, developing and implementing projects and more.
Weak management with too much political turmoil and too little communication
Contract Avaya Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2015
I first went to work at UT Health Science Center after being laid off and not finding many other options. I found the culture to be strict and although I was a salaried employee, my coworkers and I were treated very much like rented hourly personnel. I left that position to get back to the PBX programming I had been doing prior to being laid off. When I returned due to a offer to join the Telecommunications Dept, I was warned upfront BY MANAGEMENT that the current environment was poisonous (Management's words) and that were trying to change it. Poisonous was putting it lightly, The department was full of infighting and received little guidance or assistance from management. I was notified on a Sunday afternoon that my contract was not going to be renewed without ever being told of any issues with my performance or given any reasons by management.
Pros
Could choose my schedule during the week
Cons
Lack of Management Leadership or Communication
A great place to work!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2015
This was a fun and interesting place to work, doing basic medical research. The people were fun and easy to get along with, and I felt like I was really contributing something to the world.
great atmosphere to work in an dependable people
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2015
dealing with patient care, rooming patients, assisting with procedures and patient education, performing injections, blood draws, vaccinations
Work Day
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 4, 2015
As I worked in Data Entry, the main benefit was to make my own hours. It was one of the best jobs a college student could ask for.
UT Physicians
RN (Former Employee) –  UTPAugust 2, 2015
Lack of organization and resources available to nursing staff, Unfortunately many departments and culture are physician rather than patient focused. Does not promote nursing growth, dumbs down nurses. Allows physicians to pick and choose use of EMR contributing to records that are not timely or are incomplete.
benefits
Cons
physician centered
UT offers jobs with good stable income and procedural environment.
Intake Coordinator/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 24, 2015
I worked in several different departments over a period of two months. I was a temporary employee and filled in for people on vacation. I learned more about how things work within a hospital setting. My co-workers were either temp employees are fully trained established employees. The hardest part about my job as a floater was shadowing and sitting still for long periods and not interacting with things more hands on. My most enjoyable part of the job was the daytime hours and having a cafeteria with healthy lunches to pick from. My favorite position at UT was in the data entry section of the research chart studies. This resume entry is required for Houston, but actually, UTHSC-Northeast Texas at Tyler was where I worked. So, that is what this detailed review is for, UTHC-Tyler, TX.
Outreach Pathology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2015
I do a little bit of everyting to keep the lab I work in operational. Great benefits and very accomodating when requesting time off.
Senior Financial Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2015
I have zero complaints about this employer. I was there for a short amount f time and gained so much knowledge. The employees are nice, kind, and helpful.
Pros
great advancement
Cons
NONE
Excellent
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2015
I enjoyed fast-paced and challenging opportunity. My short tenure at UTHealth provided me with whole new skill sets and equipped me with experience in running clinics and clinical labs, healthcare experience, conducting clinical studies - specially in Organ Transplantation. This has opened up new career adventures in healthcare sector.
Multidisciplinary Biomedical Research Center.
Assistant Professor, research track. (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2015
Multidisciplinary Biomedical Research Center. Stimulating environment, extensive network of lab and research covering almost all biomedical disciplines. Lots of opportunity. Good Benefits.
Excellent opportunity to learn and provide care to patients.
Patient Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2015
I enjoyed being able to work with the Department Chief of Vascular Surgery as I was able to provide clinical and office support. A typical clinical day would start at seven in the morning with seventy patients on the schedule for one provider. Fast paced clinic where I would manage clinic work flow and direct fellow co-workers on task to be completed and managed time. Scheduled, ambulated, and provided wound care for patients in our San Antonio, Uvalde, and Del Rio clinic locations. Typical day in the back office would entail scheduling post operative, follow-up, and new patients to the clinic. Obtaining medical records, managing incoming and outgoing referrals, scheduling patients at outside facilities for surgical procedures and required testing.

Hardest task would have to be completing everything within a strict time frame, however great satisfaction was obtained as I was able to do so. Being able to get along and create strong relationships with my co-workers made it easier to run a clinic as a whole, an actual team. Having the Department Chief manage my work flow was not easy for others but it was a task that I greatly appreciated.
fast pace work enviorment
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2015
Maintain the workload in the medical records file room and ensure the medical records are kept up to date and readily available for physicians and staff to provide patient care.

• Pulling and retrieving medical records for various clinics.
• Sorting and filing medical records and preparing documents for scanning and processing.
• Purging inactive and expired patient records
• Performing front desk reception operations and other duties as needed.