Utah State University

Utah State University Employer Reviews

Overall Great Place to Work
Coordinator of Programs III (Former Employee), Logan, UTMarch 9, 2015
Pros: family-like atmosphere, variety of work, excellent benefits package
Cons: laid off due to restructuring
Other than being laid off, it was a good place to work. There was a family-like atmosphere, compensation and benefits were competitive, and it was easy to balance work life with home life.
Online Course Developer Summary
Online Course Developer (Former Employee), Logan, UtahMarch 2, 2015
This was an excellent job right after graduation. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the opportunities to continue learning, and to work with college faculty developing online education.
Good part time job
Stage Hand (Current Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: work whenever you want
Cons: not very consistent hours available
Fun job with interesting coworkers. Everyday learning something new. Hardest part of the job is getting shifts to work.
Resourceful and organized academic and research facilities.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 23, 2015
Eminent scientists and their valuable guidance helped my way to advance my career as a researcher in the field of reproductive immunology. I enjoyed working in a team as well as independently in the laboratory to meet the aims of my PhD dissertation research project. I learned writing, and reviewing the research proposals while working with collaborators and co-workers. I acquired skills on using equipment such as flow cytometer, HPLC etc. My life as a graduate research assistant and PhD student made me learn management skills in both academic and research areas. I highly am blessed being a PhD student at USU and highly approve and recommend it to other students.
Balance Work and Homework Well
Writing Fellow (Former Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 6, 2015
Utah Sate is generally pretty understanding that students have homework responsibilities and they work well with your schedule.
Multiple job functions
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Moab, UTNovember 30, 2014
Pros: the students and the part time staff made usu moab a great place to come to.
Cons: the administration was harsh and they ruled by micro-management
I have been working in the Regional Campuses and Distance Education (RCDE) environment for the past decade. Working in a small rural center I have assumed many roles in that time. A portion of my time was involved with administrative and faculty support. Not only did I provide administrative and faculty support but I was the site coordinator for the center. I coordinated the training and work activities of 1 lead facilitator, 6 site facilitators, and all of our work study students. I was involved in coordinating for the entire center; including exams, classroom scheduling, and facilitation staff.
My roles have shifted allowing me to be more involved with recruitment and advising, retention, and marketing support. I maintain all the USU Moab and the South West Centers social media sites, including Facebook and Twitter.

Working closely with UEN and CIDI for the technology portion of the job was the most rewarding experience. Working with the faculty in assisting them with building and developing online content was also enjoyable. The instructional design aspects of the job were the most rewarding.
Academic Environment
Graduate Instructor (Current Employee), Logan, UTNovember 26, 2014
Utah State University is a wonderful place to work. My colleagues are very supportive and hard working academics. This is an ideal place to work.
Excellent source to learn new things
Soil Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Logan UtahNovember 3, 2014
Utah State University is a place where anyone can work and learn new things.
Research University with Small Town Feeling
Research Associate (Current Employee), Logan, UTOctober 29, 2014
Pros: given trust and autonomy in research, and my work was largely done through telecommuting.
Cons: the community in general is very conservative, and pay is low compared to most of the country.
I worked as a research assistant while completing my master's and doctoral degrees. I was offered a position as a research associate after finishing my doctoral courses. During my early years as a research assistant I gathered research reports, wrote literature reviews, learned the basics of data entry and organization, and was asked to serve as content expert on multiple non-profit boards. As my ability to work with data increased I was asked to manage small data entry teams, provide data summaries, advise clients and supervisors on analytic methods for given data and research questions. There were many highly experienced researchers available to offer guidance on basic research techniques, but as I grew in my ability to complete more advanced research, it became difficult to find qualified experts to mentor me.

The majority of the people I worked with were friendly, dedicated, and intelligent people. Most people worked hard while working, but had a strong interest in family and hobbies outside of work. The hardest part of my job was finding qualified advice for complex data analyses, and dealing with very conservative management personnel. The most enjoyable part of my job was the autonomy and trust I was given to perform research and write final reports.
a nice place to work
Accountant II (Former Employee), Utah State UniversityOctober 20, 2014
Pros: nice people to work with
Cons: low pay
very good life/work balance, very comfortable working environment,every one is ready to help you in need.
Quality Education
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTOctober 10, 2014
Utah State University is a great University for agricultural related degrees.
Great School
Residential Mover and Driver (Former Employee), Logan, UTOctober 7, 2014
So many different ways to find educational help. Also had a great hockey program that I was proudly a part of.
lots of opportunity to stay busy
Internship (Former Employee), Ephraim, UTOctober 3, 2014
Pros: great boss
Cons: working by your self 90% of the time and parts are hard to get when needed
this job keeps me pretty busy if i ever got board doing something there was always something that i could do instead to keep busy endless jobs to be done.
Teaching can be rewarding, but sometimes there are days...
Graduate Student Professor, Department of Physics (Former Employee), Logan, UTOctober 1, 2014
I taught both very small and very large classes here, and both were rewarding in their own ways. Duties include designing a course syllabus, lecture content, exams, and (if necessary) laboratory experiments.
awesome working enviorment nice people
CARPENTER/GROUNDS/PAINTER (Former Employee), Logan, UTSeptember 18, 2014
a typical day i would prep dorms for paint mask etc i did carpet tare outs and laid carpet tile
I learned some ground crew work i learned how to be an exceptional painter and carpanter
co workers where always nice willing to answer all questions
hardest part of the job keeping other crew members organized
i enjoyed this job being active and doing physical work
Easier with a lot of responsibilities
Facilitator (Former Employee), Logan, UtahAugust 17, 2014
Pros: good pay, able to make own schedule, up to 30 hours a week.
Cons: lots of down time, a lot of sitting
I was a facilitator was USU, it was a really simple and laid back job. But you had a lot to take care of. A typical day would consist of the classes that I chose or had been assigned to me. I would go into the classroom 15-30 minutes before the class started. If it was an origination class -where the professor was in the classroom- I would turn on the screens that they would need to see the other sites of classrooms and students. I would turn on the computer, make sure the camera had a good shot of the professor so the outer sites would be able to see. Then the classrooms around the state would connect and we would do a site check to make sure the presentation mode worked and could be seen. We would also make sure the other sites could hear the professors mic and we would have time before the class started to make adjustments. If it were a receive class -where it's just students- I would look in the "IN" box to see if there was anything for my class that day. I would make sure the student camera had a good shot for the professor to see. I would teach them about the mics in the room, since they differ a lot between classrooms. There was room to advance if the opportunity came, it could be scheduled around your school or personal schedule. You could get as many or as less hours as you wanted. I had many bosses really, but each was over a different part, if you needed help they were right there and got the problem fixed immediately.
Technology
Instructor for ETE (Former Employee), Utah StateAugust 14, 2014
Pros: great mentor
Cons: getting better
The following skills were used to complete the PhD: Computer Science, IT, Electronics, Robotics.
Great laboratory full of brilliant people.
Research Technician (Current Employee), Logan, UTAugust 7, 2014
I learned time management from working in this lab. There is a lot of freedom given to each employee, so you have to learn to be responsible for your own time.
Great co-workers
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee), Logan, UTJuly 18, 2014
Pros: half tuition, great benefits, good people
Cons: hard to move up
I love my job to the extent that I love the people that I work with. I have a wonderful boss, who challenges me to be better and to pursue good things.

I think the job itself is very mundane, but that could be that I started this job before I finished my bachelors, and am now in my masters.

This is a good job for going to school, but it is not a career job, for someone with a lot of education.

Utah State is a wonderful place to work, because of the amazing benefits. They also have great incentives and health programs.

The hardest part of my job is that I have mastered it, and I can't go up anymore. It is not a challenge, it becomes rote and mundane.
Great school
Lab Teaching Assistant for Soil Mechanic (Former Employee), Logan, UTJuly 16, 2014
Great Education, Great undergraduate part time working opportunity.

1 2 3 4